T.O. Greenspiration Events: Stop Bill 66

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Jan 13 22:22:50 EST 2019

_______________________

Defend the Environment, Save the Greenbelt, and Protect our Water: Stop Bill 66

Bill 66 is a massive corporate giveaway that puts our land, air, water at risk. If passed it will let big money developers and cashed-up corporations ignore the current environmental laws  — and dump, drill and build wherever they want -- no matter the environmental cost.

https://act.leadnow.ca/stop-66/?utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=blast2019-01-11

Tell Attorney General Caroline Mulroney that the Greenbelt must be preserved and protected – forever

http://savengforest.org/stop66.html

_______________________

_______________________

Action Alert: Let your MPP know you care about Climate Change, Environmental Protection & Public Health

A great overview by Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment

https://mailchi.mp/1fa3d77c72fa/spring-cape-e-news-update-climate-change-coal-active-travel-and-more-3146545?e=de407baf32

_______________________

_______________________

Tell Premier Ford: Stop the Subway Rip-Off

https://act.ttcriders.ca/ourttc?fbclid=IwAR3VVCvH1LGP9lOciMtbxAmPs9wGnyMTR5pg0ag0qRNERWCDnvhNoeI6T3w

Ontario eyes private investment in Scarborough subway extension project

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/amp/canada/toronto/article-ontario-eyes-private-investment-in-scarborough-subway-extension/?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR3f8ekI8A8ujXL_Nj2vRprrzdI3fQuiOQ-leznm1_66XaXuok_UlFi5s2Y

_______________________

_______________________

Chris Hedges On The Cult Of Trump

And I would argue Doug Ford. 22 min. video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ6OHMpXNfk

Ontario is under one-man rule. Who will stop Doug Ford?

By Chris Glover, NDP MPP

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/11/ontario-doug-ford-premier-democratic?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVUy0xOTAxMTE%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUS&CMP=GTUS_email

Ontario environment watchdogs say Doug Ford just gutted a law that protects your rights

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/01/04/news/ontario-environment-watchdogs-say-doug-ford-just-gutted-law-protects-your-rights?utm_source=National+Observer&utm_campaign=8690e35a20-WEEKLY_Dec152018_NS_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_cacd0f141f-8690e35a20-254417297&mc_cid=8690e35a20&mc_eid=02591b0337

_______________________

_______________________

What’s the Green New Deal? Read it here.

The Green New Deal will convert the decaying fossil fuel and nuclear economy into a new, green economy that is environmentally sustainable, economically secure and socially just. The Green New Deal starts with transitioning to 100% green renewable energy - no nukes or natural gas - by 2030.

https://beyondnuclearinternational.org/2019/01/07/can-the-green-new-deal-be-saved/

Why Green New Deal Advocates Must Address Militarism

Where is the call for the New Peace Deal that would free up hundreds of billions from the overblown military budget to invest in green infrastructure? If climate change is not addressed rapidly by a Green New Deal, global militarism will ramp up in response to increases in climate refugees and civil destabilization, which will feed climate change and seal a vicious cycle fed by the twin evils militarism and climate disruption. That’s why a New Peace Deal and a Green New Deal should go hand in hand.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2018/12/12/why-green-new-deal-advocates-must-address-militarism?fbclid=IwAR1Mn4FLcoqnZxHHANEL2JPWHA-T_8m7O84LEo76wVabwg1GJWp5CPdH5r4

_______________________

_______________________

Technological Experiments in the Digital Age

Panel Discussion by Human Rights Watch

Mon. Jan. 14, 6 - 9 p.m.

U of T Faculty of Law, 78 Queen's Park Crescent West, Jackman Law Building, Room J250

How would you feel if an algorithm decided whether you could stay in Canada? What if it determined you are more likely to commit a crime because of the colour of your skin? Or if it trawled through your Tweets or Facebook posts to see if you are a risk to national security, without ever revealing any of the categories it used to make this decision? Governments are increasingly experimenting with new technologies. This panel brings together a variety of perspectives to talk about technological experiments in the digital age and unpacks some of the complex questions on the frontiers of innovation. Free.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/technological-experiments-in-the-digital-age-panel-discussion-tickets-53831894646?aff=efbeventtix&fbclid=IwAR3YgLEPtLAF6gzKsQ-W-NymYJebshdT1Z8o8DHa0mxdaVt3JWzi8FtaNd0

_______________________

_______________________

Wet'suwet'en Solidarity Rolling Action Toronto

Tues. Jan. 15, 3 - 6 p.m.

362 University Ave. Courthouse

We are coming together to take action against the federal government of Canada and demand that they uphold their responsibilities to the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples and ‘Anuc niwh’it’en (Wet’suwet’en law). The Wet'suwet'en Access Point on Gidumt'en Territory are conducting peaceful actions as sovereign peoples on their territories, and ask that all actions taken in solidarity are conducted peacefully and according to the traditional laws of other Indigenous Nations.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2032740430351645/

_______________________

_______________________

Change in Canada - Why Should We Care?

Tuesday, January 15, 6:30 pm

Runnymede Library, 2178 Bloor St. W.

Dire reports have been coming out over the past weeks on climate destabilization. We will watch and discuss Greta Thunberg’s school strike for climate - save the world by changing the rules - and how young people around the world are joining in. Hosted by Green 13.

_______________________

_______________________

Webinar: Militarism in the Media

Tues. Jan. 15, 8 - 9 p.m.

Militarism, violence, and war are pervasive in pop culture and the entertainment industry. The mainstream news media largely refuse to critique skyrocketing military spending and the vast negative impacts of perpetual warfare. Join World BEYOND War for our next free webinar featuring experts on the strained relationship between militarism and the media.

https://actionnetwork.org/events/webinar-militarism-in-the-media?link_id=3&can_id=b185343a12ba7e544141b5ae39b912e2&source=email-world-beyond-war-news-militarism-in-the-media&email_referrer=email_467918&email_subject=world-beyond-war-news-militarism-in-the-media

_______________________

_______________________

Values, Democracy and Solutions for a Changing Planet - Webinar

A conversation with the Citizens' Climate Lobby's Mark Reynolds

Tues. January 15, 1:15 pm - 2:15 pm ET

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/7139903450278568963

_______________________

_______________________

Resourcing Social Justice Movements in a Time of Austerity: A Groundswell Fundraiser

Tues. January 15, 6 - 8 p.m.

Glad Day Bookshop, 499 Church Street

You're invited to a Fundraiser in support of the Groundswell Fund, a Toronto-based project that invests in social movement groups across the country. The event will feature a panel discussion on Resourcing Social Justice in a Time of Austerity.

Buy tickets at https://bit.ly/2AAKpQz

_______________________

_______________________

The Woman Who Loves Giraffes

Tues. Jan. 15, 8:45 p.m. and Thur. Jan. 17, 3 p.m

Bloor Hot Docs (Bloor and Bathurst)

Through letters and stunning 16mm footage, this inspiring portrait retraces Dagg’s journey to becoming the world’s first “giraffeologist” and the triumphs and battles along the way.

https://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/websales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=77830~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&utm_source=eBulletin&utm_medium=2019.01.10HDC&utm_campaign=HDCFilms&utm_content=Giraffes

_______________________

_______________________

Carbon Conversations T.O.

Wed. Jan. 16, 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.

At Toronto General Hospital (College & University)

Carbon Conversations TO provides a safe space for you to express concerns about climate change while gaining tools and resources to help reduce your carbon footprint. We help you work with the complex emotions that make it difficult to act and find renewed motivation. This interactive information session is a great opportunity for those who are thinking about joining our 6-week sessions starting in February 2019.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/carbon-conversations-to-information-interactive-session-tickets-52775205059

https://www.carbonconversationsto.com/about

_______________________

_______________________

Defend Toronto: Ontario Place & Subway Takeover

Thur. Jan. 17, 7 - 9 p.m.

Church of the Holy Trinity (behind Eaton's Centre, off Bay)

We'll be discussing future action against the subway takeover, as well as what is going on with Ontario Place and the Waterfront. The first part of the Defend Toronto meeting will deal with the province’s plan to `upload’ our subway. We need to increase the pressure to stop the province stealing the subway, and we’ll be discussing and deciding on some direct actions we can take to increase the heat, including some legal strategies. We will also be looking for volunteers to sign up for leafletting the subway on January 21. The second part of the meeting will address the future of Ontario Place and the Waterfront in the face of what Premier Ford plans to do. Chris Glover, the MPP for the area and Councillor Joe Cressy will both speak, and they will help us determine what actions we can take to ensure the planning for Ontario Place and the Waterfront meets city expectations.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1934044250042212/

_______________________

_______________________

Eco Design Symposium

Sat. Jan. 19, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

The Bakery, 2 Fraser Avenue

The Eco Design Symposium will bring together designers, architects, landscape architects, engineers, and students around the theme of ecological design within the context of the unfolding eco-crisis. The goals of this symposium are to: – Foster conversations about designers role in the eco-crisis – Share examples of ecological design in action – Facilitate networking among like-minded people.

https://ecodesignsymposium.ca/

_______________________

_______________________

Women March On Toronto

Sat. Jan. 19, noon - 3 p.m.

Nathan Phillips Square, T.O. City Hall, Queen and Bay

Women March On: Toronto invites you to join together in marching, resisting and making it clear to policymakers that we will not accept rollbacks and attacks on our communities. Our lineup of speakers will address the many egregious cutbacks to government funding and civil rights recently made by our provincial government.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1185785271560481/

_______________________

_______________________

Repair Café

Sat. Jan. 19, noon - 4 p.m.

Toronto Reference Library, 789 Yonge (n. of Bloor)

You carry it. We help fix it. Deal?

https://www.facebook.com/events/266828163966555/

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

https://socialinnovation.org/community/events/

_______________________

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/