T.O. Greenspiration Events: Sparking Change

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Feb 17 23:14:28 EST 2019

What Canada needs now is a Green New Deal

Fantastic piece by Avi Lewis of The Leap​ about why Canada needs a Green New Deal: "A mission moment like this, sparking a decade of unprecedented public investments and new programs, could save us from looming Trumpism in Canada. More importantly, a Canadian Green New Deal could just help save the world as well."

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2019/02/12/what-canada-needs-now-is-a-green-new-deal.html

Here’s The Full Text Of the Green New Deal Resolution, Introduced By Rep. Alexandra Ocasio Cortez

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/02/08/heres-the-full-text-of-congress-green-new-deal-resolution-introduced-by-rep-alexandra-ocasio-cortez/

_______________________

_______________________

When we debate carbon pricing, can we at least stick to the facts?

Under the federal policy that begins this spring, roughly 80 per cent of households will receive rebates that actually exceed the amount they will pay in the carbon tax. So the federal carbon tax won’t be the tax grab its opponents claim.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-when-we-debate-carbon-pricing-can-we-at-least-stick-to-the-facts/?fbclid=IwAR3O6J__lf0QaCDf1xUbGb36pzqe4hk8zOLjsfTljStcaF4LrOvBXlHlTw E

Climate emergency needs national response

A national carbon price upholds principles of fairness and effectiveness and is urgently needed.

https://davidsuzuki.org/expert-article/climate-emergency-needs-national-response/

Ontario Introduces Carbon Tax After Railing Against Carbon Taxes

The Doug Ford government in Ontario is introducing a carbon tax on large emitters that exceed a yet-to-be-established provincial standard, after launching a lawsuit against the federal floor price on carbon and deliberately gutting the province’s most affordable pathways to a sustainable economy. Looks like they know they'll lose the lawsuit against the feds.

https://theenergymix.com/2019/02/15/ontario-introduces-carbon-tax-after-railing-against-carbon-taxes/

_______________________

_______________________

Tell Ford: Don’t privatize healthcare - petition

https://act.leadnow.ca/health-care/

Ask Minister Elliott: will you defend our public healthcare?

https://www.leadnow.ca/minister-healthcare/

_______________________

_______________________

Species at risk habitat shouldn’t be open for business

The Government of Ontario’s review of the 2007 Endangered Species Act could put the province’s most vulnerable animals and plants at even greater risk by removing barriers to the harmful activities that are driving wildlife decline, say the David Suzuki Foundation, Ecojustice, Earthroots, Environmental Defence, Ontario Nature and World Wildlife Fund Canada.

https://saveontariospecies.org/esa-review/

_______________________

_______________________

Canada talks democracy while U.S. eyes Venezuela's oil

if the U.S. invades Venezuela to formally install Guaido, Canada will have played its part in teeing things up.

http://rabble.ca/columnists/2019/02/canada-talks-democracy-while-us-eyes-venezuelas-oil

_______________________

_______________________

Plummeting insect numbers 'threaten collapse of nature'

“Unless we change our ways of producing food, insects as a whole will go down the path of extinction in a few decades” - buy organic.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/10/plummeting-insect-numbers-threaten-collapse-of-nature?utm_source=EHN&utm_campaign=2d18899ca7-Science_saturday&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8573f35474-2d18899ca7-99026277

It’s no longer climate change we’re living through. It’s environmental breakdown

To confront environmental catastrophe, we need urgent political transformation.

 https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2019/02/it-s-no-longer-climate-change-we-re-living-through-it-s-environmental?fbclid=IwAR0xbCl79q6ranEo7YFXn4yngZI1Sp6kuaRmyw8I2qZh276MNONBNONXi3Q

_______________________

_______________________

Nukes Are No Answer To Climate Crisis

Ralph Nader spends the entire hour with physicist and former Chairman of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Dr. Gregory Jaczko, talking about his book Confessions of a Rogue Nuclear Regulator. “There are a lot of people running around, talking about how nuclear is the only way we’re going to solve climate change. And it just reminds me of these predictions back in the ‘60s of how we were going to have an entire country powered by nuclear power. A generation has forgotten those promises, and now they’re latching onto nuclear as some kind of solution to climate change. That, to me, is a real mistake.”

https://ralphnaderradiohour.com/nukes-are-no-answer-to-climate-crisis/?fbclid=IwAR1WWrHrMbT0bflR2p7fJDw89KeS_qb1fMSRcAX6ESDXanFL6A2hDNbM8To

_______________________

_______________________

Family Day: Sparking Change - The Next Generation of Youth Activists

Mon. Feb. 18, 4:30 pm

Bloor Hot Docs (at Bathurst)

If the past year has proven anything, it is that if we are going to make our world a better place, young people are almost certainly going to lead the charge. Join us for a lively discussion with some of Toronto’s most inspiring young activists—all working to be the change they want to see.  Free.

https://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/websales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=82659~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Outreach&utm_campaign=HDCSeries&utm_content=FDSparkingChange

_______________________

_______________________

Toronto350.org Climate Action Meeting

Tuesday, February 19, 6:30 - 8:30 pm

United Steelworkers Hall Local 3950, 25 Cecil Street

Toronto350.org is Tkaronto’s local branch of 350.org, the international #climatejustice organization. Our goal is to raise awareness about the climate crisis and advocate for the #GlobalEnergyTransition. Every week we hold a meeting open to anyone interested, in which we discuss and develop strategies for #civicengagement and the implementation of our responsibilities under the #ParisClimateAgreement and the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (#UNDRIP). Anyone and everyone is encouraged to attend our meetings.

https://www.facebook.com/events/346565476185680/?ti=ia

_______________________

_______________________

RBG

Tues. Feb. 19 and Fri. Feb. 22, 1 p.m.

Bloor Hot Docs (at Bathurst)

The so-called “Notorious RBG,” U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, has developed a trailblazing legal legacy while becoming an unexpected internet icon whose profile has only grown since this award-winning doc became a box office smash hit. From her early legal battles for gender equality to her unlikely rise to the head of the Supreme Court, RBG chronicles Ginsburg’s extraordinary life and career. Get an unprecedented glimpse at what makes Ginsburg a cultural icon, feminist crusader and history maker.

https://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/websales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=74079~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&_ga=2.186403625.1204562126.1549252286-1482973601.1540328203

_______________________

_______________________

Peace Activism 101: Study War No More

Free Course at the Parkdale Free School, 1499 Queen Street W

TWO Tuesdays a month from 6:30-8:30 pm, starting February 19, 2019

Contact Melisa Weale at shecycler at gmail.com .

Canada spends $20 billion a year on war. How could that money be better spent on social and environmental needs? This course will dispel the myths that justify endless war, and make the case for the abolition of war and its replacement with a culture of peace. We will explore the ways in which war makes us less safe, erodes our civil liberties, pollutes the environment, and is a leading contributor to the global climate crisis. We will also examine the idea of security and consider an alternative global security system based on peace, nonviolence ,and demilitarization. What actions and strategies might we pursue to replace the war system and build a peace economy?

_______________________

_______________________

Review of Ontario’s Endangered Species Act

Wed. Feb. 20, 2 - 3 p.m.

Join us for a free webinar about the review of Ontario’s Endangered Species Act. Find out what’s at stake and what you can do to help.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/8043908718377178124

For more information, please read our joint Media Release: Species at risk habitat shouldn’t be open for business https://saveontariospecies.org/esa-review/

_______________________

_______________________

Hands Off Venezuela: No Sanctions, No Lima Group, No Coup

Wed. Feb. 20, 3 - 4 p.m.

344 Bloor St W

Canadian Voice of Women for Peace will be holding a rally outside the office of the Canadian Minister of Foreign Affairs Chrystia Freeland to object to her/the federal government's stance on and sanctions against Venezuela, and participation in the Lima Group. Canada should join the UN, the Vatican, Uruguay and Mexico in calling for a peaceful, diplomatic solution with all parties to end the political crisis and lift the sanctions on Venezuela. In solidarity with the International Day of Action for Venezuela on Feb 23

https://www.facebook.com/events/267176424172320/

_______________________

_______________________

Emergency Community Forum on Venezuela

Wed. Feb. 20, 6:30 - 8:30 pm

OISE, 252 Bloor Street West, Rm 3310

Join us for a public forum with representatives from the Caribbean, African and Latin American community organizations, discussing the deeply inconsistent, hypocritical and dangerous ways the Canadian government has historically approached matters of humanitarian intervention - and why this matters today when it comes to Venezuela. Sponsoring groups: Global Afrikan Congress, Group for Research & Initiative for the Liberation of Africa (GRILA), Common Frontiers, Caribbean Solidarity Network, Students Against Israeli Apartheid, Latin American and Caribbean Solidarity Network - LACSN

_______________________

_______________________

Adapting your investment Portfolio for climate change

Wed. Feb. 20, 6:30 p.m.

Webinar

As the impacts of climate change are felt around the world, a growing number of investors are adding greener investments to their portfolios, not only to make a positive difference but to take advantage of emerging opportunities and to avoid potential losses down the road. What are the risks associated with climate change and how are they showing up in your portfolio today? What are the financial opportunities and how can you take part? How can you integrate climate change into your current investment strategy? What climate-ready investment products are available to everyday investors? CoPower is teaming up with experts from AGF, Good Investing and Arctern Ventures to bring you a free event and webinar to help you adapt your portfolio for a changing climate.

https://copower.me/en/event-adapting-climate-change/?mc_cid=61cd356ece&mc_eid=fda7eefeb0

_______________________

_______________________

Defending C69 - Webinar

Why we need to defend Bill C69 against industry attacks

Thurs. Feb. 21,  1 - 2:30 pm ET

Bill C69, the Federal Bill attempting to reform some of Canada’s most important environmental laws (pertaining to impact assessment, energy regulation, and navigable waters) is under attack. As the Bill comes before the Senate, the oil and gas lobby has ramped up its campaign in an attempt to kill the Bill, leaving us with major gaps in environmental protections. Join West Coast Environmental Law and the Canadian Freshwater Alliance as we walk through what’s in Bill C69, what we need to defend in the Senate and where we’d like to see additional protections. Learn about the national Senate tour and how you can play a role in sending a clear message to that Canada is ready for 21st century environmental legislation.

https://www.freshwateralliance.ca/defending_c69

_______________________

_______________________

Ending The Deadly Housing Crisis

Thur. Feb. 21, 6 - 8 p.m.

CRC, 40 Oak Street

The lives of 6 homeless people came to a gruesome end this January. Their lives were cut short not because of choices they made, but because of the choices made for them by John Tory, Doug Ford and Justin Trudeau. It is clear all three levels of government need to act urgently to end these preventable deaths, alleviate suffering in cramped facilities, and build rent-geared-to-income housing. Yet, neither government is willing to do so. Instead, they disorient us by blaming refugees, mental health issues, and addictions for the housing crisis. They hope we'll take the bait and attack each other as we get reeled out of housing and dumped onto the streets. The battle ahead is difficult, but it's one we must win. So join us to take inspiration from ongoing battles, learn from past ones, ask questions, and build connections with struggles outside Toronto.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1023957634470050/

_______________________

_______________________

The Shadow of Gold

Fri. Feb. 22, 6:30 p.m.

Bloor Hot Docs (at Bathurst)

As the global economy undergoes rapid and profound change, the gold industry continues to grow. Over the past 15 years, we have mined more gold than ever before. Taking us around the globe, this incisive investigation examines the trade of this precious metal from raw material to market while exposing its consequences and impact. With political, economic, and ecological implications, how is the thriving industry changing our lives and the world around us—and at what price?

https://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/websales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=82654~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZTyJxtQc6M

BONUS: 2 free tix to the first person to tell me what country sponsored the production of this film. -angela at cleanairalliance.org

_______________________

_______________________

Don't Steal Our Subway! City-wide Day of Action

Fri. Feb. 22.

Join us at a subway stop near you at 8 am to distribute flyers to transit riders. Then we'll converge at Queen's Park Station at 9:30 am.

The province’s plan to steal our subway is not a done deal! Join transit riders at subway stops across Toronto to send a message to Premier Ford: Don't Steal Our Subway! Breaking apart the TTC and handing over the subway to developers and the private sector will mean higher fares and less accountability. If the province is serious about fixing overcrowding, delays, and unaffordable fares – and it should be – proper funding for the TTC is the answer.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScbjXQeYysNPgXP3I6CpOTyw0Jl3iboHC-oOIiC6DoCcu08GQ/viewform

https://www.facebook.com/events/2196541593736332/

_______________________

_______________________

Pitch Night for Agents of Change: Climate Solutions

Fri. Feb. 22, 6 - 9 p.m.

CSI Bathurst, 720 Bathurst St, Ground Floor

Come help select the finalists and watch them pitch for $20,000 in cash awards at our climate-focused pitch night.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/pitch-night-for-agents-of-change-climate-solutions-tickets-53651287445?aff=MailchimpSpaceMembers&utm_campaign=1dc40cb585-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_02_04_09_53_COPY_01&utm_term=0_928b4659de-1dc40cb585-52918817&utm_source=Space+members&utm_medium=email&mc_eid=f5c912c37c&mc_cid=1dc40cb585

_______________________

_______________________

The Sunrise Storyteller - doc screening and fundraiser

Sat. Feb. 23, 2 - 4:30 p.m.

WE Global Learning Centre, 339 Queen St East

A 16 year old takes a year off school and travels for six months to document real life stories of the human spirit to triumph over adversity. Kasha Sequoia Slavner, aka The Sunrise Storyteller, is 20 year old filmmaker, photographer, entrepreneur, young global leader and peace advocate. As a concerned high school student, disillusioned and outraged by the negativity and powerlessness she felt as a consumer of mainstream media, Kasha was compelled to find an alternative narrative.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/documentary-screening-fundraiser-the-sunrise-storyteller-tickets-55412637691?aff=eac2

_______________________

_______________________

All Out Against Fascism: Toronto anti-PEGIDA rally

Sat. Feb. 23, 1 - 4 p.m.

361 University Ave.

Once again PEGIDA (the "Patriotische Europäer gegen die Islamisierung des Abendlandes") is planning to hold an anti-Muslim, anti-refugee rally at the corner of University Avenue and Armoury Street. Once again, we expect various far-right groups to take part, including the Proud Boys, the Northern Guard, the Three Percenter militia, and others. And once again, we intended to shut it down. TAF will be there to stand against racism and fascism. Please come out and support Muslims, refugees, immigrants, and all others under threat by these organizations.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2019732978133887/

_______________________

_______________________

I was a Catholic Zionist

Sat. Feb. 23, 4 p.m.

1289 Matheson Blvd E

Canadians for Palestine invites you to come and meet Ted Schmidt, the author of (I was a Catholic Zionist). Ted will talk about his transition from a Catholic Zionist to a Palestinian rights advocate, as well as his three journeys to Palestine that inspired him to write his book.

https://www.facebook.com/events/355731825261805

_______________________

_______________________

$15 and Fairness Provincial Strategy Meeting

Sat. and Sun. February 23 & 24

Ryerson Student Centre & Oakham House, 63 Gould Street

For all those committed to building the movement for decent work now and in the future.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe-_cxFuc0m3GQXRCTEUkodVdbPFIne1H4xHBhyufz56piNXg/viewform

http://www.15andfairness.org/

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

https://socialinnovation.org/community/events/

_______________________

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/