T.O. Greenspiration Events: Activist Appreciation and Support Circle

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Feb 24 22:50:14 EST 2019

Do you support a Green New Deal for Canada?

Canada needs a plan to tackle climate change that listens to both science and justice. That means ending our reliance on fossil fuels and ensuring that the shift to 100% renewables is fair for people and communities. What we need is a made-in-Canada “Green New Deal” – a vision for tackling climate change at the true scale of the crisis.

https://act.350.org/signup/GND-canada/

https://take.theleap.org/page/37752/subscribe/1

_______________________

_______________________

A Huge Climate Change Movement Led By Teenage Girls Is Sweeping Europe. And It’s Coming To Your Country Next.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/lesterfeder/europe-climate-change-protests-teens?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=BuzzFeed%2BNews%2B-%2BFebruary%2B8%2C%2B2019&utm_term=News%2Bconfirmed%2Blist&fbclid=IwAR2b_Dc7TUSM_ztD8szauR4XtqlP82lC8uM4L1Ji-s7E-3nCWWK7lFxk4Sk

_______________________

_______________________

Ontario government takes aim at species at risk

https://davidsuzuki.org/action/ontario-government-takes-aim-at-species-at-risk/

Doug Ford declares open season on endangered species in Ontario

The government's discussion paper on proposed changes to the Endangered Species Act intends to “increase efficiencies for business”

https://nowtoronto.com/news/doug-ford-environment-endangered-species/

Review of the Endangered Species Act Webinar

Watch a recording of the 1 hour webinar here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvyNgBUvVEc

_______________________

_______________________

Andrew Scheer: condemn racism in Yellow Vest movement - petition

https://act.leadnow.ca/yellow-vest/?utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=blast2019-02-23

_______________________

_______________________

Canada's real corporate scandal - Lockheed Martin

$105 billion in corporate welfare to war manufacturers for a completely unnecessary fleet of Canadian warships? How about daycare or housing? No, voters will not be asked is whether they want to mortgage their grandchildren's financial future for a project that will line the pockets of Irving Shipyards and the world's largest war profiteer, Lockheed Martin.

http://rabble.ca/columnists/2019/02/its-taboo-talk-about-canadas-real-corporate-scandal

_______________________

_______________________

Send a message to Trudeau and his cabinet urging them to slam the brakes on the Trans Mountain pipeline

https://act.leadnow.ca/no-death-sentence-for-orcas/?utm_source=&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=blast2019-02-22

_______________________

_______________________

Doug Ford’s Ontario: Who’s winning, and what it means for the province’s future

An economic strategy that focuses on facilitating urban sprawl and propping up a declining nuclear industry hardly provides a viable guide for the province’s future.

https://theconversation.com/doug-fords-ontario-whos-winning-and-what-it-means-for-the-provinces-future-112127

_______________________

_______________________

Interactive fruit tree map highlights free food in Toronto

https://www.blogto.com/tech/2018/06/interactive-map-shows-all-fruit-trees-toronto/?fbclid=IwAR1rzYqWLg2ogjRPBNQwgwCPsUyZsVxkJeWjyUzNYUCKZVl4LoNyKyfH-cc

_______________________

_______________________

Defending Toronto - Should cities have more autonomy?

Mon. Feb. 25, 7 - 9 p.m.

The Madison, 14 Madison Avenue (near Bloor and Spadina)

Should large cities get to govern themselves apart from the rest of the province?. Whether it is permission to set road tolls or how many city councillors the city needs, Toronto has had successive governments interfere with its administration. Should the province really get a say in how assets forced upon a city are managed? Is it time that Canada’s big cities grew up? John Sewell, former mayor of Toronto, and Doug Earl, former CBC journalist and committee member of Charter City Toronto, joins us February 25th to discuss why they oppose the provincial takeover of Toronto’s transit system and how Toronto should strive for better self-governance.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/defending-toronto-should-cities-have-more-autonomy-tickets-55226612284

_______________________

_______________________

Future of Ontario's Greenbelt

Mon. Feb. 25, 6:30 - 8 p.m.

Toronto Reference Library, 789 Yonge (N. of Bloor)

Burkhard Mausberg discusses his new book "The Greenbelt - Protecting and cultivating a great ON treasure", and the Ford Gov't's plans to open the Greenbelt to development.

_______________________

_______________________

Justice, Freedom and Equality: the Keys to Peace in the Holy Land

2019 Royackers Lecture with Miki Peled, author of the General's Son

Tues. Feb. 26, 7:30 - 9 p.m.

Regis College in the St. Joseph Chapel, 100 Wellesley Street, U of T

Miko Peled, a Human Rights and Peace Activist, will address the three universal values of ‘justice, freedom and equality’ and will explore how these values can change the face of the Holy Land.

https://regiscollege.ca/event/2019-royackers-lecture/?mc_cid=67742be6e1&mc_eid=98329828f0

_______________________

_______________________

Defunding Dissent on Campus

Tues. Feb. 26, noon - 1:30 p.m.

Rogers Communication Centre, 80 Gould, Rm. 230, Ryerson campus

University of Sask. Professor emeritus Len Findlay joins Canadian Federation of Students-ON chair Nour Alldeeb in a panel discussion on free speech on campus as the province moves to disallow universal dues collection for student associations.

_______________________

_______________________

United We Resist - Education Mass Rally

Wed. Feb. 27, 5 - 8 p.m.

Toronto Congress Center, 650 Dixon Road - Outside the 2019 PC Leaders‘ Dinner

Calling all education workers, parents, labour affiliates, community partners and allies of public education to a mass rally. Ford’s assault on public education in declaring a strip of 4% from education by removing class caps, dismantling full-day kindergarten as we know it and slashing millions from critical programming is beyond reprehensible. It’s urgent that we build our mass and resist in power.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2200026136929600/

_______________________

_______________________

Consent on Stolen Land

Wed. Feb. 27, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.

OISE, 252 Bloor St W, Room OIC154

What does consent mean in the context of ongoing settler colonialism? How do we ask for consent and assert our own boundaries when the Canadian state and settler colonial institutions continually violate Indigenous sovereignty? Led by facilitators from the Native Youth Sexual Health Network (NYSHN), this workshop will be a space for discussion and learning about these important intersections.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1407705159369214/

_______________________

_______________________

The Future of Public Health in Ontario: Under Doug Ford's Government

Wed. Feb. 27, 6 pm

OISE, G162, 252 Bloor Street West

Guest speakers will include France Gélinas (MPP) and Natalie Mehra (Ontario Health Coalition).

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-future-of-public-health-in-ontario-under-doug-fords-government-tickets-55743286671

_______________________

_______________________

The Battle for Venezuela – Doc & Discussion

Thur. Feb. 28, 7:30 p.m.

The Redwood, 1300 Gerrard Street E. (E. of Greenwood)

Join Cinema Politica Danforth for an important 'reality check' on the extraordinary and dangerous developments in Venezuela. What's really going on? Is it a foreign-led coup d'etat of a legitimately elected government?  Or is it the necessary removal of an inept brutal dictator? Why are so many other countries getting involved...some backing the government, and some calling for regime change?  Why is this oil-rich country's economy in such disarray, causing great hardship and suffering?  Most importantly, what do the people of Venezuela want? This film was made by the Al Jazeera English Network in 2018.

https://www.facebook.com/events/285583415453134/

_______________________

_______________________

What's happening to our schools?

Thur. Feb. 28, 7:30 p.m.

Malvern Collegiate Institute, 55 Malvern Ave.

Join MPP Rima Berns-McGown, TDSB Ward 16 Trustee Michelle Aarts and the Ontario Families for Public Education for an update of all the changes that have been made to education since the election. Attendees will have an opportunity to ask questions and discuss their concerns.

https://www.facebook.com/events/561517847659359/

_______________________

_______________________

Nuclear Waste Online | Drilling Down on Nuclear Waste | The Nuclear Waste Management Organization's Exploratory Drill Program

Thursday, February 28, noon

Webinar with Kerrie Blaise,  Northern Services Counsel, Canadian Environmental Law Association

https://zoom.us/meeting/register/07b6478cd7a947a67510d14dfea9e911

_______________________

_______________________

Digital Games: A Canary in the Coal Mine of Capital

Thursday, Feb. 28, 6:30 pm

Workers Action Center, 720 Spadina Avenue, 2nd floor

In this session of The Capitalism Workshop, Daniel Joseph focuses on two sides of digital games: the commodification of play through new commodity forms bolstered by digital platforms, and the production of games, which is tied up with highly exploitative labour practices, neoliberal development models, and cultural imperialism.

https://www.facebook.com/events/477653279432613/

_______________________

_______________________

Making Connections - Fridays for Future

Fri. March 1, 2 - 5 p.m.

Nathan Phillips Square, Toronto City Hall (Queen and Bay)

Our climate crisis intertwines issues of equity, gender, food, environmental racism, indigenous sovereignty and daily life.  No single protest is going to trigger the massive change we need -- so it's time to all connect face-to-face and help each other build both new and long-standing movements. We are making a space for people young and old to show support for Greta Thunberg's weekly school strike outside the Swedish Parliament. If you are part of an organization -- anything from a school eco-club to an international environmental organization -- we encourage you to come out, bring a sign, flyers or just a short pitch about your group, and one or two modest actions that people can take after they leave the rally.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2475997525775252/

_______________________

_______________________

Making Politics Inclusive

Fri. March 1, 6:30 p.m.

Bloor Hot Docs (at Bathurst)

Amid the constant turmoil of American politics, Donna Brazile and Leah Daughtry remain two of the country’s most brilliant and respected voices. Brazile is the legendary strategist who served as Al Gore’s campaign manager in the 2000 election and a two-time chairperson of the Democratic National Committee. A nationally-recognized organizer, Daughtry was the CEO of the historic 2008 and 2016 Democratic National Conventions. Brazile and Daughtry have teamed up on For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Politics, a timely new book that recounts the lessons they’ve learned from political trailblazers like Coretta Scott King, Barack Obama, and Hillary Clinton. As the political stalemate in Washington deepens, Brazile and Daughtry will assess the current landscape and what it will take to make politics more inclusive for all people—especially women of colour.

https://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=85273~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&utm_source=eAlert&utm_medium=2019.01.29CMW&utm_campaign=CMWeekend&utm_content=DonnaBrazile

_______________________

_______________________

Moving Beyond Ford: The Transportation We Want

Fri. March 1, 6:30 - 9 p.m.

Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave.

The Ford government’s plan to seize the Toronto subway system from the city-owned TTC has put transportation advocates as well as transit riders and workers on the defensive. Ford’s goal is to reorganize, automobilize and likely privatize transit and transportation across the Toronto region. Meanwhile, transit provisioning continues to fall behind the rest of the world as the urban population grows and congestion worsens. Discussion of proactive initiatives has once more been forced onto the back burner. How about making transit free; providing mass public transit to working class neighbourhoods across the city and region; creating car-free zones and integrating public transit, cycling and pedestrian life from the ground up; and shifting transportation patterns from car and truck reliance at a regional scale?

https://www.facebook.com/events/382045455946592/

_______________________

_______________________

How Women's Anger Makes Change

Sat. March 2, noon

Bloor Hot Docs (at Bathurst)

At a time when issues of gender and sexuality dominate the international conversation, no one has shaped that exchange more than Rebecca Traister. Her wise and provocative columns for New York Magazine have helped make sense of a cultural transformation and her acclaimed new book, Good and Mad: The Revolutionary Power of Women's Anger, was named one of the 10 best books of 2018 by The Washington Post, NPR, and Elle. In this wide-ranging discussion, Traister joins us to discuss the galvanizing force of women’s collective anger, its role in changing history and how it can serve as political fuel for future generations.

https://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=85303~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&utm_source=eAlert&utm_medium=2019.01.29CMW&utm_campaign=CMWeekend&utm_content=RebeccaTraister

_______________________

_______________________

Building Greener Cities - with David Miller and Eric Piolle

Sat. March 2, 5 p.m.

Bloor Hot Docs (at Bathurst)

As global climate change reaches the point of no return, Éric Piolle and David Miller are tackling the crisis one city at a time. The first Mayor to be elected from France’s Green Party, Piolle has transformed the city of Grenoble into one of Europe’s renewable energy leaders. The popular former Mayor of Toronto, Miller now serves as the North American Director for the C40 Climate Leadership Group, a network of the world’s megacities committed to addressing climate change. At this meeting of two of the world’s most dynamic urban thinkers, Piolle and Miller will share their insights on the role cities can play in turning the climate tide—and what we can all do to make them green and sustainable.

https://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=85306~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0

_______________________

_______________________

Activist Appreciation and Support Circle – on the 15th ann. of Tooker’s passing

Sun. March 3, 7 - 9 p.m.

Friends House, 60 Lowther (St. George Subway)

Activism takes enormous courage and strength. But activism can take its toll on our mental health and well-being. We’ve lost great activists including Dave Vasey and Tooker Gomberg. Many of us have or will experience burn out at some point. Let’s gather to share, support and celebrate each other. How do we manage intense emotions as activists, from personal events in our lives, to political issues and group dynamics? Let’s talk about self-compassion and share personal strategies that work. Join us for a stress free, calming, kind gathering. Facilitated by long-time activists Lyn Adamson and Angela Bischoff. Free, all welcome. Wheelchair accessible.

https://www.facebook.com/events/308525159702528/

_______________________

_______________________

Our Planet

Bloor Hot Docs (at Bathurst)

Sun. March 3, 2:30 p.m.

>From the creators of Planet Earth and in partnership with World Wildlife Fund, the Netflix original documentary series Our Planet is a spectacular journey of discovery through the natural world—and one of the most anticipated releases of 2019. Narrated by legendary naturalist Sir David Attenborough and filmed in 50 countries across all the continents of the world, this groundbreaking eight-part series showcases the planet's most precious species and fragile habitats, revealing amazing sights on Earth in ways they’ve never been seen before.

https://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=86487~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&utm_source=eAlert&utm_medium=2019.01.29CMW&utm_campaign=CMWeekend&utm_content=OurPlanet

_______________________

_______________________

Tenant School

A free, two-day intensive training for tenants. Lawyers and other experts will teach courses on your rights under the law, advocacy, and tenant organizing and working with government / decision-makers.

Sat. March 30, and Sat. April 6, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Who is the Tenant School ideal for? A tenant eager to learn about their rights. A tenant interested in working with their neighbours and starting a tenants association.

Ways to sign up:

1. Give us a call at 416-413-9442 and we can help you sign up over the phone.

2. Send us an email at: totenantschool at torontotenants.org

3. Sign up by going to the google form available here: https://goo.gl/forms/PbHYP7PcRroehE693

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

https://socialinnovation.org/community/events/

_______________________

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/