No Nukes News: Accidents, Waste and Weapons

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Feb 25 16:34:43 EST 2019

Feb. 25, 2019

The World

☢ Accidents, waste and weapons: nuclear power isn’t worth the risks The case for expanding nuclear energy is based on myths about its status, greenhouse gas emissions, proliferation, accidents, wastes and economics. Let’s take each in turn.

☢ Nukes Are No Answer To Climate Crisis Ralph Nader speaks with former Chair of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Dr. Gregory Jaczko: “There are a lot of people running around, talking about how nuclear is the only way we’re going to solve climate change. That, to me, is a real mistake.”

☢ The Green New Deal goes to Washington - Now the battle is on to keep nuclear power out of it The nuclear lobby is maneuvering to shoehorn nuclear power into the GND which calls for 100% renewable power. Listen to Greg Jaczko, ex-Chair of the NRC, respond to why nuclear should not be included.

☢ Can humans ever be trusted with nuclear power? This from the former chair of the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission: “Ultimately, I think people will never tolerate frequent accidents. The good news is that they won’t have to because carbon-free electricity alternatives to nuclear are in many cases cheaper than even existing nuclear plants and becoming even cheaper faster.”

☢ Fukushima Still Plagues Pacific Ocean Fishery, Government & Industry See No Evil The Japanese fishing community and nuclear watchdog groups are raising alarms over government plans to dump over 1-million tons of highly contaminated waste water from three devastated nuclear reactors at Fukushima into the Pacific.

☢ Radioactive sea spray is dosing communities It is clear from the available empirical data that coastal populations next to nuclear sites are annually exposed to man-made marine radioactivity.

☢ Trump Admin’s Secretive Talks to Sell Saudi Arabia Nuclear Power Technology Spark New Fear of Arms Race Saudi Arabia is considering building as many as 16 nuclear power plants by 2030, but many critics fear the kingdom could use the technology to develop nuclear weapons and trigger a nuclear arms race in the Middle East. More here and here and here and here.

☢ The Global Crisis of Nuclear Waste A report commissioned by Greenpeace France: “Their toxicity in general terms, both radioactive and chemical, is greater by far than any industrial material with which we have hitherto dealt in this or in any other country.“

☢ Spanish Govt Plans to Close All Nuclear Stations by 2035 Spain aims to close all seven of its nuclear stations between 2025 and 2035 as part of plans to generate all the country's electricity from renewable sources by 2050.Ontario

☢ IESO takes major step to lower Ontario’s electricity bills On February 1st, Ontario’s Independent Electricity System Operator (IESO) asked Hydro One to upgrade its transmission system to permit Ontario to buy large quantities of low-cost water power from Quebec. This is great news for Ontario’s electricity consumers and the environment!

☢ Energy efficiency in Ontario’s electricity system: road blocks and next steps What is the role of energy efficiency in Ontario’s electricity system? Efficiency Canada has put together an ON Backgrounder, particularly to look at the unintended consequences of the ON Gov't’s electricity conservation plan – such as a more expensive electricity system, higher bills, and fewer jobs.

☢ Doug Ford’s Ontario: Who’s winning, and what it means for the province’s future An economic strategy that focuses on facilitating urban sprawl and propping up a declining nuclear industry hardly provides a viable guide for the province’s future.Renewables and Conservation

☼ The nuclear city – Chicago – goes 100% renewable Chicago may be the largest city in the US to commit to 100% renewable energy, with a 2035 target date. And the location says a lot about the downfall of nuclear energy.

☼ How can Canada’s North get off diesel? “On a basic level, if you look at wind energy, solar energy, hydro energy, it’s sustainable and very much in line with traditional values.”

☼ We Could Achieve 3X As Much CO2 Savings With Renewables Instead Of Nuclear For Less Money We can go further faster and lower cost with wind and solar.

☼ Wind turbine health risks unfounded, says new research

☼ The barefoot solar engineers of Malawi – in pictures Eight women from rural Malawi travelled to India to train as solar engineers. Now they are lighting the way for their communities, in a country where just 10% of households are powered by electricity.Take Action!

☢ Please contact Premier Ford and ask him to buy low-cost Quebec water power and cancel the high-cost Darlington Re-Build Project. Text his cell phone # is 416-805-2156 or email him at Doug.Ford at pc.ola.org. Click here to send him a message now.

☢ Petition to Audit the Angra 3 Nuclear Power Project in Brazil The new Brazilian administration promises to to restart construction of an obsolete nuclear station started in the 70’s but never completed. Brazilian civil society organizations are calling for an audit of the project.

☢ It’s Time to Make Electricity Savings Real This pamphlet explains how the Ford Gov't can follow through on its promise to lower electricity bills by making a deal to import low-cost power from Quebec. Order free copies from us to distribute to your Ontario friends and neighbours. Eligible for volunteer hours for school or community service. Email: angela at cleanairalliance.org

☢ Petition to Premier Ford for the production of EVs Premier Ford must develop a strategy to ensure that Ontario rapidly becomes a world leader in the production and use of EVs (electric vehicles) and other low-carbon technologies.

☢ Canadian Government must protect our rivers from radioactive waste Please sign the petition to protect the Ottawa and Winnipeg Rivers currently threatened by three Canadian Nuclear Laboratories’ (CNL’s) nuclear waste dump proposals.

☢ Calling Citizen Scientists for Radiation Collection Project We’re looking for citizen radiation monitors interested in contributing to citizen science, and for funders whose support can help make the technology possible for those who can't afford it. For more info see here. If interested (either as a participant or as a funder), please contact mcneill.janet at gmail.com

☢ Sign our petitions to Close Pickering and to Buy Quebec Power. And share them with your friends. Watch our 2 min. video here.

☢ Order your free KI (anti-thyroid-cancer) pills here if you live within 50 km of an ON nuclear facility - that includes all of Toronto and beyond. Download your anti-thyroid cancer posters hereto post in your office, school, or local cafe.Events

☢ Nuclear Waste Online | Drilling Down on Nuclear Waste | The Nuclear Waste Management Organization's Exploratory Drill Program Webinar Thursday, February 28, noon EST with Kerrie Blaise, Canadian Environmental Law Association

☢ Nuclear Waste Online | Small Modular Reactors in Canada Webinar Thursday, March 7, noon EST with Dr. M.V. Ramana

☢ Global Antinuclear Social Forum Madrid, Spain May 31 – June 2, 2019
 follow on Twitter | friend on Facebook | forward to a friend

You are subscribed to the No Nuke News list published by the Ontario Clean Air Alliance.
Our mailing address is: Ontario Clean Air Alliance160 John St, #300Toronto, On M5V 2E5 Canada
Add us to your address book