T.O. Greenspiration Events: Youth Unstoppable

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Mar 10 23:43:47 EDT 2019

Premier Ford: Buy low-cost water power from our neighbours in Quebec to replace our high cost nuclear rebuilds and save Ontarians $ billions!

Please sign the petition here. http://www.CutMyBill.ca

Volunteers needed: We're leafletting in Doug Ford's hood of Etobicoke.

Can you join the group blitzes -- or go out on your own in Etobicoke or in your own hood? If so, please contact angela at cleanairalliance.org

_______________________

_______________________

Tell Singh: NDP must run on a Green New Deal in 2019 - petition

http://www.couragecoalition.ca/ndp-green-new-deal-petition/

Canadian Green New Deal is NDP’s Best Shot at ‘Federal Relevance’

https://theenergymix.com/2019/03/03/fenton-canadian-green-new-deal-is-ndps-best-shot-at-federal-relevance/

Why The Green New Deal Cuts Consumer Energy Costs & Unemployment

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/03/09/why-the-green-new-deal-cuts-consumer-energy-costs-unemployment/

Clean disruption? Stanford group plans for 100% green-energy future

"No oil. No gas. No coal. And nuclear would be retired. It's all wind, water and solar powering Canada, 100%," says Jacobson. Such an energy mix would, according to the Solutions Project, lead to a long list of benefits, including the creation of 200,000 additional jobs in the energy sector. That calculation includes 500,000 fossil fuel-related jobs in Canada being transitioned to clean energy.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/clean-disruption-renewable-energy-canada-1.3470590?fbclid=IwAR1BpsaGbV5q6OnHyqcllhEc4mB23yiHfGQZhwkxeUVYoavuqn6O6pTw658

_______________________

_______________________

Extinction Rebellion Rising Up In Canada

“This is a movement devoted to disruptive, non-violent disobedience in protest against ecological collapse.”

https://below2c.org/2019/02/extinction-rebellion-rising-up-in-canada/

Rethink Activism in the Face of Catastrophic Biological Collapse

https://truthout.org/articles/climate-collapse-is-on-the-horizon-we-must-act-anyway/

_______________________

_______________________

Canada Must Make a Decision on the Light Armoured Vehicles Sales to Saudi Arabia

Canada provides humanitarian assistance to Yemen and at the same time, is helping arming one of the parties in the conflict. Other countries, including Denmark, Finland, Germany, Switzerland, Greece and Austria, have either suspended or terminated arms transfers to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Canada must cancel the export permits in question.

https://www.amnesty.ca/news/%E2%80%8B%E2%80%8B%E2%80%8B%E2%80%8B%E2%80%8B%E2%80%8B%E2%80%8Bngo%E2%80%99s-maintain-canada-must-make-decision-light-armoured-vehicles-sales-saudi-arabia

_______________________

_______________________

More Frack Quakes Rattle Alberta, Cause Deaths in China

Regulator shuts down operations near Red Deer. Thousands protest in Sichuan.

https://thetyee.ca/News/2019/03/07/Frack-Quakes-Alberta-Deaths-China/?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=070319

_______________________

_______________________

RaBIT - Ranked Ballot Voting Initiative

As a Torontonian, I’m calling on Toronto City Council to adopt ranked ballots for Toronto’s municipal elections as soon as possible. Ranked ballots offer the residents of Toronto the opportunity to make a small, simple change to our electoral system that will make our politics more fair, diverse, inclusive, and friendly.

https://www.rabit.ca/petition_council

_______________________

_______________________

Nick Estes on Indigenous Resistance

Mon. March 11, 7 - 8 p.m.

Toronto Public Library, 789 Yonge Street

Nick Estes talks about his new book Our History Is The Future, where he traces how two centuries of Indigenous resistance led to the #NoDAPL movement where Water Protectors blocked the construction of an oil pipeline at the Standing Rock Reservation in North Dakota.

https://www.facebook.com/events/305960966772389/

_______________________

_______________________

Killing for Fun

Presented by Peace Magazine and Project Save the World

Monday March 11, 8 p.m. EST

Live webcast here: https://www.facebook.com/PeaceMagazine/

Lt. Col. Dave Grossman joins us this time for a discussion of video games and violence. He talks about how humans are not inherently designed to kill others; in previous wars few soldiers actually fired their weapons. This reluctance to harm is overcome through training with video game simulations -- the same video games that may be encouraging juveniles to kill in school today -- with astonishing frequency. Video of the talk show will be posted for later viewing on:

The Peace Magazine FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/PeaceMagazine/videos/?ref=page_internal

And To save the World website: http://tosavetheworld.ca/videos

_______________________

_______________________

>From Syria To Hope: Documentary Premiere and Panel Discussion

Tues. March 12, 7 - 9 p.m.

Innis Town Hall, 2 Sussex Avenue, U of T

>From Syria To Hope is a Films With A Cause documentary made in collaboration with York Region Muslims to explore the lives of three Syrian families who came to Canada under the refugee status. Each family lives in the Greater Toronto Area and has a unique story. The individuals featured in the film reflect on their hopes and dreams after having no choice but to leave their homes in war-torn Syria. The film is intended to be an educational tool to combat discrimination and xenophobia. We believe that diverse voices need to be heard in the mainstream media for change to happen. After the screening will be a panel discussion about societal and political representation of refugees and migrants in Canada. The conversation will deal with refugee policies, Islamophobia and the harm of sensationalizing a crisis in the media.

https://www.facebook.com/events/306240226905246/

_______________________

_______________________

Harm Reduction as Social Justice – Sex Work

Tuesday, March 12, 12 - 3 pm

Oakham House, 63 Gould Street, Oakham Lounge, 2nd Floor

This lunch-and-learn event will engage students, faculty, activists, researchers, and current and former sex workers in a discussion about harm reduction in the Canadian sex work landscape. Topics explored during the panel discussion will include sex work regulation, human rights, disability, colonialism, immigration, drug use, safer sex, activism, and resistance.

_______________________

_______________________

Toronto Homeless Memorial

Tues. March 12, noon

Church of the Holy Trinity, off Bay, behind Eaton's Centre

The Toronto Homeless Memorial remembers those who have died as a result of homelessness in Toronto. This project was initiated by the late Bonnie Briggs and is maintained by Holy Trinity and other concerned citizens. There is a memorial service held on the second Tuesday of each month at 12:00 PM outside the south door of Holy Trinity. Each month we sadly add names to the memorial and remember those who have died. We also speak to the injustice that causes homelessness. Each service is followed by a meal inside the church provided by Holy Trinity members. You are welcome to join in remembrance, sadness and anger.

https://www.facebook.com/events/292267504819132/

_______________________

_______________________

Sea of Life - Screening & Discussion

Wednesday, March 13, 6:30 - 8:15 pm

Jane/Dundas Library, 620 Jane St.

With stunning cinematography, Sea of Life is an inspiring film offering hope and encouraging everyone to unite in an effort to preserve our oceans on a global scale. Inspired by Rob Stewart's Revolution, young filmmaker Julia Barnes embarks on an epic journey around the world to save the ecosystems we depend on for survival, as we come closer to causing a mass extinction the oceans. Sea of Life leads audiences through the stunning world of coral reefs in the heart of the environmental movement, meeting passionate scientists, activists and explorers who reveal an enormous opportunity to rise up and become the heroes the world needs.

Trailer: https://vimeo.com/183917517

http://green13toronto.org/event/sea-life-free-screening-and-discussion

_______________________

_______________________

Youth Unstoppable

Thur. March 14, 7 p.m.

Friends House, 60 Lowther

Youth Unstoppable takes us inside the rise of the Global Youth Climate Movement as seen through the eyes of a young filmmaker, Slater Jewell-Kemker, who was 15 when she began documenting the untold stories of youth around the world standing up for a green, sustainable future that they refuse to let slip away. Over the course of ten years and set against stunning visuals of a planet in crisis, this film is about the evolution of one young activist and a diverse network of youth rising up to demand a say in the decision-making process that is shaping the world they live in. Following the film will be a discussion with Sophia Mathur from Sudbury, first young person to school strike in Canada in November 2018

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/youth-unstoppablefridaysforfuture-tickets-57838978943

_______________________

_______________________

No Woman’s Land

March 14 - 16, Thur. - Sat.

Harbourfront Centre Theatre

Conceived and directed by Roshanak Jaberi and created with a powerhouse artistic team and an ensemble of seven performers, this interdisciplinary production integrates dance, theatre and multi-media – taking audiences on a journey that reveals the plight and resistance of refugee women.

https://irisinstitute.ca/2018/09/13/no-womans-land-premiere-scheduled-for-march-2019/

_______________________

_______________________

FridaysforFuture March 15 Climatestrike

Friday, March 15, 12:30 – 2 p.m.

Queen's Park, College and University

This rally, our fourth climatestrike, will be held in solidarity with Greta Thunberg and young climate strikers around the world on March 15.   In Australia,  Europe, and the U.S.A., climate strikers will be holding rallies everywhere. Let's join them and show the world that we, too, are part of the global movement demanding urgent action on climate change.

Preparation session 10 - 12 am: https://www.facebook.com/events/318021792184337/

Queen’s Park 12:30 - 2 p.m.: https://www.facebook.com/events/304570563750133/

Afternoon planning session 2:30 - 5 p.m.: https://www.facebook.com/events/321274215080738/

_______________________

_______________________

A Body in Fukushima: Reflections on the Nuclear in Everyday Life

Fri. March 5, 5 - 7 p.m.

Toronto Reference Library

Movement-based artist Eiko will perform another iteration of her A Body in a Library in the Atrium of the Toronto Reference Library. In all of her performances as a part of A Body in Places, Eiko uses her body to make distance malleable, collapsing space and bringing the urgency of nuclear matters into ordinary places. This performance in a library will be one of many that have occurred on her tours and visits to universities over the past several years. The performance will be immediately followed by a Q&A. Be sure to also visit the Body in Fukushima photography exhibits on the 3rd and 5th floors of the Toronto Reference Library. This is a collaborative work by movement-based artist Eiko Otake and photographer William Johnston.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/a-body-in-fukushima-reflections-on-the-nuclear-in-everyday-life-tickets-57546697722

_______________________

_______________________

Fahrenheit 9/11

Friday, March 15, 7 p.m.

OISE, 252 Bloor W, Rm C154 (on the concourse level, one floor below the OISE lobby entrance)

Filmmaker Michael Moore examines the current state of American politics, particularly the Donald Trump presidency and gun violence, while highlighting the power of grassroots democratic movements. 2018, 2 hours 2 minutes. Our guest speaker is John Clarke of the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty. Hosted by Rebel Films.

_______________________

_______________________

3rd National Bike Summit

by Vélo Canada Bikes

May 13-14, Ottawa

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/3rd-national-bike-summit3e-sommet-national-du-velo-registration-57433101954

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

https://socialinnovation.org/community/events/

_______________________

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/