T.O. Greenspiration Events: Dive into action

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Apr 1 01:22:24 EDT 2019

We’re leaflet blitzing Doug Ford’s riding (mailboxes)

Can you join our blitzes on Wed. or Sat? Let me know, thanks. angela at cleanairalliance.org

We’re trying to raise awareness among Ford’s constituents that water power from QC would be one third the cost of rebuilding our aging nuke infrastructure not to mention a whole lot safer and renewable too.

www.CutMyBill.ca

This is Doug Ford’s mailbox:

_______________________

_______________________

Urge Toronto to declare climate change Emergency - petition

https://www.change.org/p/john-tory-get-toronto-to-declare-climate-change-state-of-emergency

Greenpeace has launched an initiative to ask Toronto City Council to hold fossil fuel companies accountable for the costs of fossil fuel pollution. Please send a letter to your councillor here

https://act.greenpeace.org/page/40382/-/1

3 Common Carbon Pricing Myths

2 min. video by the Ecofiscal Commission

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=120&v=BW1e1YxqutE

Ford wins; Ontario’s environment loses

This government is not only trashing Ontario’s environmental policies, it’s silencing one of the chief critics.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2019/03/27/ford-wins-ontarios-environment-loses.html

_______________________

_______________________

Internal cost estimates for Scarborough subway were far higher than city council was told - almost $1B higher

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/internal-cost-estimates-for-scarborough-subway-were-far-higher-than-city-council-was-told/ar-BBVrR8o?li=AAggXBV&ocid=mailsignout

_______________________

_______________________

Tell Ontario: Ban and Regulate Single-Use Plastics - and to keep incineration off the table

https://www.torontoenvironment.org/act_ontario_plastics?utm_campaign=onplastics_mar27_19&utm_medium=email&utm_source=toenviro

_______________________

_______________________

‘People are dying': Ocasio-Cortez delivers fiery speech on climate inaction – 2 min. video

Oh ya. AOC saying it like it is. Why don't we hear this coming from politicians in Canada? Where art though NDP? I've seen speeches like this from Elizabeth May and Mike Schreiner though the media rarely cover them.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/video/2019/mar/27/people-are-dying-ocasio-cortez-delivers-fiery-speech-on-climate-inaction-video?CMP=share_btn_link

_______________________

_______________________

Militarism in the Media

1-hour video of webinar by WorldBeyondWar.org featuring experts Rose Dyson and Jeff Cohen discussing the role of the media in promoting violence and warfare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh3xlrfAhhY&link_id=1&can_id=b185343a12ba7e544141b5ae39b912e2&source=email-video-of-yesterdays-webinar&email_referrer=email_479961&email_subject=video-of-yesterdays-webinar

_______________________

_______________________

Petition to the Federal Gov't on Food Policy

1. Stop subsidies to animal agriculture

2. Make healthy food affordable

3. Help animal agriculture farmers transition to plant-based farming

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-2071&fbclid=IwAR0T1R4iCGThI1X-DFIVOjDqSd9GUG4x4GgoPNBhTwABjynDb5tRI_HiRh8

_______________________

_______________________

Court Hearing Against Ford’s Attack On Climate Action

Monday April 1, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Osgoode Hall, 130 Queen St W

Greenpeace and Ecojustice have filed a lawsuit against Doug Ford’s government for failing to consult the public when it ended Ontario’s cap and trade program, which puts a limit on the carbon emissions companies can emit.  We think Ford’s reckless attempt to gut our environmental laws was not only undemocratic, it was illegal. So we’re challenging the Ford government, arguing it needs to follow the law and listen to the science before passing legislation on climate change.

https://www.facebook.com/events/385923711991620/

https://greenwire.greenpeace.org/canada/en/node/178478

_______________________

_______________________

Solutions to Global Warming: Diving into Action - 5 part series

Sessions 1 to 4: April 1, 8, 15, 22

Session 5: May 20 (Monday of long weekend - may be the 27 to be decided)

With Project Drawdown.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/solutions-to-global-warming-diving-into-action-tickets-57995178139?mc_cid=46c07f5ee5&mc_eid=48c86714b8

_______________________

_______________________

Ontario Bike Summit

Mon. - Tues, April 1 - 2

Courtyard by Marriott, 475 Yonge Street

Learn from and network with professionals and volunteers from a diverse range of sectors, including: provincial and municipal government, grassroots advocacy, health, planning, engineering, tourism and more.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/2019-ontario-bike-summit-tickets-53857779067

_______________________

_______________________

Who Needs Violence?

Tues. April 2, 6:30 - 8:30 pm

Unarmed civilian peacekeeping provides an effective, more sustainable, and potentially transformative alternative to militarized peacekeeping. We will explore the viability of nonviolence as an alternative to war and military-based defense, as well as practical strategies for nonviolent communication and conflict resolution. Featuring guest speaker Lyn Adamson, who is an experienced trainer in conflict resolution with Nonviolent Peaceforce Canada and St. Stephen's Conflict Resolution Service.

To learn more about this free event program, contact Melissa at mailto:shecycler at gmail.com.

_______________________

_______________________

The Truth about Venezuela

Tues. April 2, 7 p.m.

A Different Booklist Cultural Centre Cultural Centre, 777-779 Bathurst Street (s. of Bloor)

Two prominent Venezuelans will discuss the current political crisis in Venezuela and the legitimacy of Maduro's government. \ This event is free and wheelchair and stroller accessible. A Different Booklist is proud to co-sponsor #TheTruthaboutVenezuela with the Caribbean Solidarity Network & Latin American and Caribbean Solidarity Network - LACSN.

https://www.facebook.com/ADFRNTBooklist/

_______________________

_______________________

Divest Fest

Tues. April 2 - 4

Victoria College, 73 Queen's Park Crescent

Leap UofT is converging for 3 rad days of learning, community-building, and action to win a just and fossil-free future at Vic! Art build, lunch and learn, talks, a walk, workshops, and a rally.

http://tcan.ca/event/divest-fest-2019

_______________________

_______________________

Building a Movement for Community Benefits in Parkdale

Wed. April 3, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.

Parkdale Activity-Recreation Centre, 1499 Queen Street West

The movement for Community Benefits centres the voices and interests of equity-seeking communities at the intersections of land use planning, urban growth, and public policy decisions. In Parkdale, we have launched the first neighbourhood-based grassroots Community Benefits Framework of its kind in the Canadian landscape. The Framework is a tool to establish community-driven targets and demands for affordable housing, affordable commercial, decent work, and community assets in new developments and investments throughout the neighbourhood.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2143860105920487/

_______________________

_______________________

Bill McKibben - Turning Up the Heat: Physics and Politics in a Warming World

Robert Hunter Memorial Lecture

Wed. April 3, 6 p.m.

Isabel Bader Theatre, Victoria University, 93 Charles St West

Bill McKibben, Author and Environmentalist, founder of 350.org, was awarded the Right Livelihood Prize in 2014. Foreign Policy named him to their inaugural list of the worlds' 100 most important global thinkers. He will discuss the causes and effects of climate change–but most importantly, he will talk about the growing movement to rein it in. $20

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/robert-hunter-memorial-lecture-featuring-bill-mckibben-tickets-57739822363

_______________________

_______________________

Building a Post-Carbon World - Designing 2050 Symposium: Creating Pathways to a Sustainable Society

Wed. April 3, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Desautels Hall, Rotman School of Management, 105 St. George Street, U of T

Explore ideas and participate in interactive sessions about the broader renewal of society in a zero-carbon world. By offering a range of perspectives and disciplines, we will develop roadmaps for a positive vision of the future to advance climate solutions and societal transformation. General Admission $60, Students/Unwaged: $30

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/building-a-post-carbon-world-symposium-tickets-57141704376

_______________________

_______________________

Taking Meaningful Action in a Time of Crisis - Webinar

Wed. April 3, 4:30 - 6 EST

Join us for a lively, web-based conversation with three remarkable agents of change: Tim DeChristopher, who risked his freedom to oppose fossil fuel extraction on public lands; Nick Tilsen, who is creating a regenerative, sustainable future for his community on the Oglala Lakota Native American reservation; and Sarah Peters, an environmental engineer who won public office on a climate change platform. During this 90-minute roundtable discussion we'll hear about these three very different paths of engagement and come away with concrete ideas for how you can answer the question: “What can I do?”

https://www.postcarbon.org/events/taking-meaningful-action-in-a-time-of-crisis/

_______________________

_______________________

Harm Reduction as Social Justice: Prisons

Wed. April 3, noon - 3 p.m.

Ryerson, 350 Victoria St.

This lunch and learn event will engage students, faculty, activists, researchers, prison in-reach workers, and formerly incarcerated people in a discussion about harm reduction in Canadian prisons. Topics explored will include mass incarceration, drug policies, human rights, prison needle-exchange programs, drug use, discharge planning, and overdoses. Hosted by Canadian Students for Sensible Drug Policy

https://www.facebook.com/events/235746517376761/

_______________________

_______________________

The Future of Artificial Intelligence (AI)

Wed. April 3, 6 p.m.

Mozilla Foundation, 366 Adelaide St W Suite 500

This McLuhan Salon will be a dialogue with Mark Surman, Executive Director, Mozilla Foundation, and Rohinton Medhora, President, Centre for International Governance Innovation, moderated by David Nostbakken, President, CEO, McLuhan Foundation. Free, all welcome.

http://www.mcluhansalons.ca/the-future-of-artificial-intelligence/?mc_cid=86437c31ca&mc_eid=e1b0e4939c

_______________________

_______________________

Human Rights Watch Toronto Film Festival

April 3 - 10

TIFF Bell Lightbox, King and John

Featuring 7 films and documentaries from around the globe

https://www.tiff.net/human-rights-watch/

_______________________

_______________________

Rally for GREEN Investment! Fossil Banks? No Thanks!

Thur. April 4, 8:30 - 10 a.m.

TD Centre, Southwest corner King and Bay

Tell TD and all Canadian banks to stop financing our destruction and to shift their resources and our economy to renewables. Over the last three years, among all Canada’s big banks, Toronto-Dominion maintained its place as the second largest investor in fossil fuels and the Tar Sands. Join us on the occasion of TD’s Annual Shareholders Meeting. Our banks, along with our pensions and governments, must shift to investing massively in a fossil-free future NOW!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1275761515907106/

_______________________

_______________________

Talking Climate in Canada: Communications research webinar with George Marshall

Thur. April 4, 11 a.m. - Webinar

Now more than ever we need a constructive conversation and strong voice for climate action in Canada. The webinar will be led by George Marshall from Climate Outreach, a leading organization in climate communications and public engagement.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/6683120143221979659

_______________________

_______________________

The Chemical Valley Project

April 4 - 20

Theatre Passe Muraille - backspace

Located in Sarnia, Ontario, the Aamjiwnaang First Nations reserve and its 900 residents are smothered by one of Canada’s largest petrochemical corridors: the Chemical Valley. Through an innovative blend of projection design, object puppetry, and solo-performance, Kevin Matthew Wong (Honourable Mention for Theatre Centre’s Emerging Artist Award, SummerWorks 2017) writes and performs this documentary theatre work. The Chemical Valley Project seeks to spark conversations on Canadian environmental policy, treaty rights and Indigenous relations, as well as the current nature of Canadian identity and values.

https://ca.patronbase.com/_TheatrePasseMuraille/Productions/1/Performances

_______________________

_______________________

Webinar with federal Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development

Thur. April 4,1:30 p.m.

Webinar with Julie Gelfand, federal Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development, on her Spring 2019 Reports to Parliament. You will have the opportunity to ask Ms. Gelfand questions about the findings of her audits of: Mining Effluent, Fossil Fuels Subsidies, and Aquatic Invasive Species.

http://video.isilive.ca/oag/2019-04-04/register-en.html

_______________________

_______________________

An evening with Dianne Saxe, Environmental Commissioner, Ontario

Thursday April 4, 7 - 8:30 p.m.

Rosedale United Church, 159 Roxborough Dr

Join us for a dynamic, engaging presentation by Dr. Dianne Saxe, Environmental Commissioner of Ontario: "Climate Changes Everything."  Inspirational, educational and open to all ages.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2371346929814204/

_______________________

_______________________

The Battle for Venezuela

Fri. April 5, 7 p.m.

OISE, 252 Bloor W, Rm C154 (on the concourse level, one floor below the OISE lobby entrance)

This Al Jazeera documentary examines how the exploitation of oil created modern Venezuela and, how the oil industry led to a divided society of deep inequality. The effect of industrialization and the flux between dictatorships and popular democracy, highlights the legacies of prominent radical leaders such as Hugo Chavez, to shed light on the threats against Venezuela today. 2018 49 minutes. Guest speaker Maria Paez Victor of the Louis Riel Bolivarian Circle will lead off an open discussion. Hosted by Rebel Films.

_______________________

_______________________

FridaysforFuture Climatestrike

Fri. April 5, 12:30 - 2 p.m.

Queen's Park (University and College)

Support the worldwide movement of kids striking from school one Friday a month for climate action.

https://www.facebook.com/events/417131452396921/

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

https://socialinnovation.org/community/events/

_______________________

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/