T.O. Greenspiration Events: We're rising together

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon May 13 01:23:57 EDT 2019

Mothers Day Peace Proclamation

Instead of flowers, give us peace. Instead of brunch, end the wars. Let no more mothers raise their children to kill other mothers' children. Give us, instead, the abolition of war, the promotion of peace, and the care of people and planet.

https://www.codepink.org/mothersday2019?utm_campaign=mday_resent_to_unopens&utm_medium=email&utm_source=codepink

_______________________

_______________________

We’re rising together to build a Green New Deal for everyone. Sign on here.

https://greennewdealcanada.ca/

Call for Emergency Climate Justice Plan

On behalf of youth and voters from across Canada, we ask that our government take real and immediate action to prevent climate catastrophe. Petition.

https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/call-for-emergency-climate-justice-plan

Environmental Priorities for the Federal Election

14 of Canada’s leading environmental organizations released a set of 20 federal party platform recommendations that address the climate, biodiversity, toxics and waste crises that are harming our country. Read them here.

https://environmentaldefence.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/EnvironmentalPlatformAsks_2019Election_FINAL.pdf

_______________________

_______________________

Human society under urgent threat from loss of Earth's natural life

Scientists reveal 1 million species at risk of extinction in damning UN report. The report shows a planet in which the human footprint is so large it leaves little space for anything else.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/06/human-society-under-urgent-threat-loss-earth-natural-life-un-report?CMP=share_btn_link

Shocking UN Report Warns up to a Million Species are at Risk of Extinction Due to Human Activity

https://www.democracynow.org/2019/5/9/shocking_un_report_warns_up_to?utm_source=Democracy+Now!&utm_campaign=7166a75c25-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_05_08_03_33_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa2346a853-7166a75c25-191859373

The Extinction Domino Effect That Could Annihilate Life on Earth Has Already Started

Thom Hartmann lists all the latest research about the global insect decline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6EXFpnjXNc

Global Fossil Subsidies Hit a ‘Staggering’ $5.7 Trillion in 2017

And U.S. fossil subsidies in 2015 exceeded the country’s profligate military spending, according to analysis released earlier this month by the International Monetary Fund.

https://theenergymix.com/2019/05/09/fossil-subsidies-hit-a-staggering-5-7-trillion-in-2017/

21,000 Scientists Want You to Ditch Meat for the Planet

https://www.livekindly.co/scientists-say-going-vegan-help-save-planet/?fbclid=IwAR3rutjrxUr1Bg7D4LgH6Sf94uwcOnFT7aJnso-W5f7aNbDN_S4hWYIYpig

_______________________

_______________________

Ford fakes deficit concerns to justify brutal spending cuts

As Linda McQuaig points out, Ontario’s deficit is the result of too little revenue, not too much spending. The problem is tax cuts and loopholes for high-earners, industry, and corporate interests.

http://rabble.ca/columnists/2019/05/ford-fakes-deficit-concerns-justify-brutal-spending-cuts

Reverse Cuts to Legal Aid Ontario Funding

https://you.leadnow.ca/petitions/reverse-cuts-to-legal-aid-ontario-funding-caroline-mulroney

The Fordsters cut 8% this year and 27% last year from the Indigenous Affairs department budget. Shameless.

https://ipolitics.ca/2019/04/18/ford-government-wont-explain-cuts-to-indigenous-affairs/?fbclid=IwAR3UDoHfLqkO27Ltf-m7hfbje09TizlX4Au6PWY80bO9AhNUsAVieIs_QII

Ford government won’t explain cuts to Indigenous Affairs

The Fordsters cut 8% this year and 27% last year from the Indigenous Affairs department budget. Shameless.

https://ipolitics.ca/2019/04/18/ford-government-wont-explain-cuts-to-indigenous-affairs/?fbclid=IwAR3UNOd3Bv01xeLInaP5NtSdOAGIafyXz-JeSFK_3Uvv0wFBMN85PnHI6XE

Matawa chiefs reject Ford gov’t dumping Far North Act

https://www.northernontariobusiness.com/regional-news/far-north-ring-of-fire/matawa-chiefs-reject-ford-govt-dumping-far-north-act-1367968

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/far-north-act-osgoode-hall-1.5099704?__vfz=medium%3Dsharebar&fbclid=IwAR3-qX-IX4cDEjtbF-zD2_8RhJZ0jtbsnIz0RjL8b-OWDpdRkLi33HDGEd8

Petition to Stop the Cuts to Ontario Child Care

http://www.childcareontario.org/cuts_petition

There’s a better way to balance Ontario’s budget – replace our high cost nukes with low cost water power from QC

By using low-cost Quebec water power instead of spending billions rebuilding old nuclear plants, the government could save up to $3.7 billion per year. That’s a lot of daycare spaces secured, school roofs fixed and art programs saved.

http://www.cleanairalliance.org/budget/

_______________________

_______________________

Migrant Rights Network General Presentation

This presentation is designed to help communities educate themselves about immigration, racism, and the importance of uniting to fight the rise of the right. We offer free training for anyone interested in learning how to deliver this presentation in their community, organization, or workplace. Go here to request a training or to register for an existing training being offered near you

https://migrantrights.ca/resource/

https://migrantrights.ca/resources/presentation/

_______________________

_______________________

Flood the gallery to demand climate emergency

Mon. May 13, 1:30 p.m.

Ontario Legislature (Queens Park building)

The Ontario NDP are introducing a motion in the house to declare a climate emergency. Please sign the petition below in support of this. And if you're able, please show up at Queen's Park on Monday and watch the discussion live. Come early to go through security, bring your ID. Wear black.

https://www.ontariondp.ca/climate/

https://www.facebook.com/events/969965810061325/

Pray for Future

Mon. May 13, 4 - 5 p.m.

Queens Park

Ontario must declare a climate emergency. Climate Strike Ontario will be hosting a prayer circle after the vote, and invite all religious and spiritual communities to join us. We wish peace upon this earth, and climate change is not compatible with peace. Wear black to show you are mourning. If the motion passes, which is highly unlikely, we will still hold the circle to discuss climate grief and the importance of spirituality.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1261058637394762/

_______________________

_______________________

Canada in Venezuela

Monday, May 13, 6 - 8:30 pm

Screening Room 1, Media Commons Theatre, Robarts Library, U of T

Join us for an informative evening about the political crisis in Venezuela and the role of Canada. Dr. Donald Kingsbury will present his research on the topic, followed by a screening of the documentary The Revolution Will Not Be Televised and a Q&A period.

https://www.facebook.com/events/519328768601730/

_______________________

_______________________

The People Phone Ford

Tues. May 14, 4 - 5:30 p.m.

720 Bay Street (just north of Gerrard)

Doug Ford slashed the budget for Legal Aid by 30% (!!!) and then ordered Legal Aid to immediately stop providing services to migrants and refugees. This is a targeted attack on poor and racialized people. Ford wants us to believe that refugees are a drain and that poor people who need lawyers are guilty and undeserving. They want us to believe that money and resources are scarce in Ontario. They are not. They are being stolen. Doug Ford wants to hear what the people have to say. So let’s tell him!

https://www.facebook.com/events/391580791429173/

_______________________

_______________________

Affordable Energy: Are We There Yet?

Low-Income Energy Network (LIEN) Conference 2019

Tuesday, May 14, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Chestnut Residence & Conference Centre Terrace Room (3rd floor), 89 Chestnut Street

Let’s come together to take stock of current energy assistance programs and ensure that they meet the needs of low-income consumers in a manner that is equitable, sustainable, and holistic.

http://www.lowincomeenergy.ca/news-events/2019/04/register-now-for-the-2019-lien-annual-conference/

_______________________

_______________________

Lake Ontario Evening on Creating New Waterfront Habitat

Tues. May 14, 6 - 9 p.m.

Gladstone Hotel, 1214 Queen Street W.

Over the next seven years, more than 65 hectares of habitat will be created or enhanced along the Lake Ontario shoreline of Toronto and Mississauga. Along with increased high quality habitat for fish and wildlife, we will also see improved flood protection and new opportunities for the local community to enjoy and access the lake. Come learn more about four habitat enhancement projects taking place in your backyard at a Lake Ontario Evening on habitat creation projects on the waterfront. Free.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/lake-ontario-evening-on-creating-new-waterfront-habitat-tickets-59909066631

_______________________

_______________________

Report Back from the UN Commission on the Status of Women

Tuesday, 14 May, 7 pm

60 Lowther Avenue (Friends House)

Join us to hear highlights of our latest journey to the UN ‘s mammoth Commission on the Status of Women which attracts NGOs from around the world.  Our stories and photos will also include news of our excellent private briefings, including with the Canadian Mission to the UN. Light refreshments. Admission by donation.

Contact Janis at 905-274-6191 for more information.

http://vowpeace.org/

_______________________

_______________________

Rally and Info Picket to greet Lisa Thompson

Tues. May 14, 5:15 - 6:45 p.m.

Hart House Circle, U of T

Join Teachers in Solidarity, parents and community members as we greet Education Minister Lisa Thompson, Minister of Education, and former premier Mike Harris at the PC fundraiser to say No Cuts to Education!

https://www.facebook.com/events/812691239106428/

_______________________

_______________________

Toronto Homeless Memorial

Tues. May 14, noon

Church of the Holy Trinity, 19 Trinity Square (behind Eaton's Centre)

The Toronto Homeless Memorial remembers those who have died as a result of homelessness in Toronto. There is a memorial service held on the second Tuesday of each month. Each month we sadly add names to the memorial and remember those who have died. We also speak to the injustice that causes homelessness. Each service is followed by a meal inside the church provided by Holy Trinity members. You are welcome to join in remembrance, sadness and anger.

https://www.facebook.com/events/292267504819132/?event_time_id=292267518152464

_______________________

_______________________

Project Drawdown: Solutions to Reverse Global Warming

Wed. May 15,  7 - 9:30 pm

Swansea Town Hall, Rousseau Room, 95 Lavinia Ave.

>From "game over” to "game on!” - 100 scientifically proven solutions to reverse global warming. Are you feeling overwhelmed by the constant stream of stories about Climate Change (aka Global Warming) that imply there's little we can do about it, or that it’s not really happening? Well there is a research-based project underway to actually reverse global warming - to pull carbon out of the atmosphere, as opposed to merely slowing down the rate of emissions. It is not only possible, but feasible and eminently practical. This very interactive evening program will present an inspiring, uplifting and empowering approach to the issue, based on the latest research from a team of over 200 scientists and researchers from around the world.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/an-introduction-to-project-drawdown-solutions-to-reverse-global-warming-tickets-59275794497

_______________________

_______________________

Toronto Ride of Silence

Wed. May 15, 6:45 - 8 p.m.

Matt Cohen Park, 725 Spadina Ave

This will be a short ride to Nathan Phillips Square, ending at the Peace Garden for a moment of silence.  Rain or shine. Join 1000s of riders worldwide honoring those injured or killed while on their bikes.

https://www.facebook.com/events/408881433244325/

http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php?fbclid=IwAR1buPznJ0ylCGW9e6CvJOtnLmkMJqgTLckF9TuakN-zkkJv3zhDCQnjfMY

_______________________

_______________________

March to Support Toronto Foodora Bike Couriers

Wed. May 15, 1 - 2 p.m.

Harbour Castle Conference Centre, 11 Bay Street

Toronto's Foodora couriers are organizing to join a union. We want fair wages for dangerous work, the ability to recover when sick or injured, and a respectful workplace free from harassment and intimidation for our fellow food couriers.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2337614633172564/

Or join the bike squad leaving St. George station at 12:30 and ride en masse to the rally.

https://www.facebook.com/events/776996042697762/

_______________________

_______________________

Indigenize or Die - Ideas to Action

Wed. May 15, 6 - 9 p.m.

OCAD University, 100 McCaul Street, Lambert Lounge

Potluck. Water is life has become the rallying cry of Indigenous people across Turtle Island.  Love the Water, love ourselves. Black Creek and Lavender Creek of Gabekanaang Zibi Territory (Humber Watershed) are among the many rivers and streams in Toronto which have been violated by colonization. On June 9, we will be holding a ceremony, a talking circle around sacred fire, and an artistic direct action to begin the Ecological Restor-action of the Black Creek on its shores led by Anishinaabeg. We need ally support to make this happen.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/indigenize-or-die-ideas-to-action-tickets-61723332148?aff=ebdssbdestsearch

_______________________

_______________________

Canada Out of NATO

No to the Military Alliance; Yes to Peace and Disarmament!

Wednesday, May 15, noon - 1 p.m.

48 Yonge St (corner with Wellington)

Every month this year, the Canadian Voice of Women for Peace (VOW) will be holding a peace vigil outside the NATO Association of Canada headquarters in downtown Toronto. This year is the 70th anniversary of this male-dominated military alliance and Cold War relic that threatens our security. VOW is calling for the Canadian government to withdraw from NATO and work through the United Nations on disarmament and the Sustainable Development Goals that will bring genuine human security. No to NATO; yes to peace, nonviolence and sustainability! Organized by the Canadian Voice of Women for Peace (VOW)

http://vowpeace.org/

_______________________

_______________________

Hans Off Venezuela and Free Palestine

Wednesday, May 15, 3 - 4 pm

Outside the office of MP Chrystia Freeland, Minister of Foreign Affairs, 344 Bloor Street West Suite 510

No interference, end the sanctions against Venezuela! End the occupation of Gaza! The Canadian Voice of Women for Peace (VOW) will be delivering a letter and holding a rally outside the office of the Minister of Foreign Affairs Chrystia Freeland to object to her/the federal government's stance on and sanctions against Venezuela and her disregard of Palestinian human rights. We are opposed to Canada’s participation in the Lima Group and call for a UN-negotiated solution to the crisis in Venezuela. This is Nakba Day, the anniversary of “the disaster” when Palestinians were cruelly expelled from their land by Israel in 1948. Canada has recently condemned Hamas for rockets, but has not also condemned Israel for its bombing of Gaza and illegal occupation. Canada continues to sell weapons to Israel. Please bring flags and scarves for Palestine and Venezuela. Organized by the Canadian Voice of Women for Peace (VOW)

http://vowpeace.org/

_______________________

_______________________

POOF Protecting ODSP OW Funding Protest March and Rally

Wed. May 15

March at 10:30 a.m. from Yonge and Bloor

Rally at noon at Queens Park

We are protesting that ODSP and OW benefits are to low and need to be raised substantially, basically the Basic Needs and Rent portions need to be almost doubled at least.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1596775887021317/

_______________________

_______________________

Stop the Cuts: Access to Justice for All

Thur. May 16, 7 - 9 p.m.

Metro Hall. 55 John St, Rm 309

Please join us for a public forum on funding cuts to Legal Aid and Community Legal Clinics. Get the most up-to-date infomration and discuss how to stop the cuts.

https://www.facebook.com/events/449032342530624/

_______________________

_______________________

Water Power Not Nuclear Power - Leaflet Blitz in Doug Ford's Riding

Thur. May 16, 11 a.m.

Meet at Kipling station.

Join the blitz of DoFo's riding of Etobicoke North. We're popping these leaflets in every mailbox. http://www.cleanairalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/cutmybill.pdf After 2 hours of blitzing, we go to a restaurant for food/drink (on me). You're back on the subway by 3 p.m. For more info or to rsvp, contact angela at cleanairalliance.org

_______________________

_______________________

Bike!Bike! Northeast

May 17-20

Bike!Bike! is a regional gathering organized by and for community bicycle projects. The conference is a space for participants from DIY shops and non-profit bike organizations to converge in a different city each year to learn from each other.

https://www.facebook.com/events/397491697706185/

_______________________

_______________________

Cross-Canada Day of Action for Palestine

Sat. May 18, 2 - 6 p.m.

Yonge-Dundas Square

Join us in Toronto to show solidarity for the Palestinian people.

https://www.facebook.com/events/392762484637473/

_______________________

_______________________

Ontario Calls BS: Anti-Public Sector Cuts Rally

Sun. May 19, noon - 2 p.m.

Queens Park

SAPEC (Students Against Public Education Cuts) invites you to a rally, at Queen's Park, against public sector cuts on May 19th. This is a protest to raise awareness for ALL cuts bring made by the Ford government. This protest will send a clear signal to Doug Ford, that the people of Ontario will never fall into infighting and will work together in unison to protect the province they love.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2269121929819586/

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

https://socialinnovation.org/community/events/

_______________________

_______________________

Our Fragile Planet - Toronto Public Library hosts free environmental programs

https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/fragileplanet

_______________________

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/