T.O. Greenspiration Events: Rebuilding our democracy

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon May 20 23:12:10 EDT 2019

Greens call for a doubling of Canada's carbon emissions reduction target

The Green Party of Canada wants to see a 60% GHG cut against 2005 levels, twice the current goal of a 30% reduction by 2030. To achieve May's ambitious cuts, her party will campaign during the 2019 election on sweeping changes to the oil and gas industry, a carbon tax and zero-emission buildings. The party proposes nixing any new fossil fuel projects — including in Alberta's oilsands — and an outright ban on fracking. The Greens' plan claims that within a decade, all of Canada's electricity could be produced from hydroelectricity, wind, solar, geothermal or other renewable sources. And May said she would revamp the east-west electricity grid to ensure renewable electricity can be sent from province to province. May said the Greens would maintain the carbon tax instituted by the federal Liberals but the party would go further and abolish subsidies for oil and gas.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/green-party-carbon-emissions-climate-change-1.5138676?fbclid=IwAR3oK60S1R-XO_9b_VD5C6o9RzUAbWyOyeIgj5l8ab-zO1xeScMS9RkNJvI

Canadian Government must protect our rivers from radioactive waste

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/community_petitions/Catherine_McKenna_Minister_of_Environment_and_Climate_Change_Stop_nuclear_and_toxic_wast_mega_dump_on_Ottawa_River/

_______________________

_______________________

Ocasio-Cortez blows roof off building with EPIC speech

She's on fire. No more middle ground. "People will vote if there's something worth voting for."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZyiZ2dXtVc

_______________________

_______________________

Why the Guardian is changing the language it uses about the environment

>From now, house style guide recommends terms such as ‘climate crisis’ and ‘global heating’, and “climate science denier” rather than “climate sceptic”.

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/17/why-the-guardian-is-changing-the-language-it-uses-about-the-environment

_______________________

_______________________

Stop Ontario's Pay to Slay Law - Petition

Ontario’s Minister of Environment Rod Phillips is proposing sweeping changes to the Endangered Species Act that would sideline scientists and water down rules for developers. People are calling it the 'Pay to Slay' law, because developers could pay a small fee to proceed with work in fragile habitats.

https://act.leadnow.ca/stop-ontarios-pay-to-slay-law/

Save Ontario Species

Our most vulnerable species are on the chopping block. If the changes to the Endangered Species Act (2007) go forward, the Minister will have broad discretion to interfere with the science-based listing process, to suspend and limit protections, and to ignore legislated timelines for policies and reporting. Sign our letter to Minister Phillips, the Environmental Registry of Ontario and your local MPP.

https://ontarionature.good.do/esa2/sign/

Stop Ford's propaganda machine

Earlier this week news broke that he’s funneling millions of public funds into extremely misleading carbon tax ads -- aimed at duping voters and advancing his fear-based political agenda. There’s currently a bill making its way through Ontario’s legislature. If it passes, it would block Ford from airing these kinds of deceptive political ads. Send a letter to committee members here.

https://act.leadnow.ca/propaganda/

_______________________

_______________________

Project Save the World

60+ video 1-hour programs, each with several expert interviewees. All interviewed by Toronto organizer Metta Spencer. Topics ranging from sustainable buildings, A.I., biodiversity and food, war and peace, nuclear vs renewables, climate, non-violence and much more.

http://tosavetheworld.ca/videos/

_______________________

_______________________

The Wisdom of Tenderness

90 minute interview with Jean Vanier

https://vimeo.com/462130

My Mother’s Day Tribute to My Mom who now lives with me

https://www.facebook.com/angela.bischoff.79/posts/10156476910983207

_______________________

_______________________

Canadians under 25 can get unlimited train travel across Canada this summer

The train is an incredible way to see the country. Youth under 25 are offered passes this summer for just $600.

http://www.victoriabuzz.com/2019/05/canadians-under-25-can-get-unlimited-train-travel-across-the-country-this-summer/?fbclid=IwAR1usZmH82jWdZoXuxR-bIzbboAKePPLWpOFwCIur4qhPq5olMmJL6ejoQs

_______________________

_______________________

Refuge

Indiegogo fundraiser with Sultans of String who are embarking on a musical project that is centred around the positive contributions of refugees and new immigrants to the USA and Canada.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/refuge-new-recording-by-sultans-of-string#/

_______________________

_______________________

Green New Deal Town Hall

Tuesday, May 21, 12:45 p.m.

Centre for Social Innovation, 192 Spadina Ave.

Help shape the vision for a Green New Deal for Canada. This event is just one of many being held in a variety of communities this month. Join the conversation for a greener, more equitable Canadian economy. Hosted by Women's Healty Environment Network.

https://act.greennewdealcanada.ca/town-halls/toronto34/

_______________________

_______________________

Green New Deal Town Hall

Tuesday, May 21, 7 pm

First Unitarian Congregation of Toronto, 175 St. Clair Avenue West

This event is one of many Green New Deal town halls being held in communities across the country in May 2019. The conversation is being led from the ground up through town halls bringing together people from all walks of life to discuss our vision for a new economy -- one that cuts global warming pollution, sees the full implementation of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, the Right to Free Prior and Informed Consent, and the TRC recommendations, creates millions of green jobs, and makes sure no one gets left behind. The input from these town halls will be used to inform a vision for a Green New Deal for all.

https://act.greennewdealcanada.ca/town-halls/toronto8/?source=350

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Change - The Facts - David Attenborough’s latest documentary

Tues. May 21, 5:30 - 7:30 p.m.

Climate Ventures, Centre for Social Innovation, 192 Spadina Avenue, Suite 216

The documentary, which the Guardian rated 5/5 stars, does an excellent job of covering not only the science and horror but also the solutions and hope. Come watch this fast-paced hour-long documentary, and stay afterwards for an optional open conversation on the film and what we can do to bring about meaningful change. Free.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/documentary-screening-climate-change-the-facts-tickets-61132476884

_______________________

_______________________

Knock Down the House! - Free Screening

Tues. May 21, 6 - 9 p.m.

St. Michael & All Angels, 611 St. Clair Ave. W

Knock Down the House is the inspiring story of 4 women seeking election in the 2018 Midterm Elections - including the incredible story of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez's rise to prominence! Hosted by Jill Andrew - MPP, Toronto-St.Paul's

https://www.facebook.com/events/2342000622741687/

_______________________

_______________________

First Law of the Land: Sharing from the Great Dish

Tues. May 21, 10 a.m. - noon

Isabel Bader Theatre, 93 Charles Street West

Join us for this opportunity to learn from Indigenous knowledge keepers about the Dish With One Spoon wampum agreement - the first law of the territory in which our University of Toronto community is located.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/first-law-of-the-land-sharing-from-the-great-dish-tickets-60767374854

_______________________

_______________________

Wild Bee Club

Every Tuesday, 5 -6 pm

AccessPoint on Danforth rooftop garden: 3079 Danforth Avenue

You’re invited! Learn how important pollinators are for growing food. Explore native bees and pollination, observe bees emerge and build nests, identify plants used by native pollinators. As volunteer scientists, we can make observations that will add to our understanding of native bees, the plants they use, their co-evolution, and how pollination happens in a city rooftop garden. Bee club uses the Audio Bee Cabinet - an observable nest site and art piece giving a sensory experience with magnified views.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/wild-bee-club-at-access-alliance-tickets-59729317998

_______________________

_______________________

National Citizens’ Assembly on Electoral Reform and the Federal Election Plan

Webinar with expert guest David Farrell

Wed. May 22, noon

The need for proportional representation in Canada has never been greater. Together, we can get proportional representation back on the table this October. Fair Vote Canada will be supporting candidates whose party has a strong commitment to proportional representation or who has taken personal action in support of PR. We will be putting special focus on target ridings where we have the best chance of electing a pro-PR MP. Our goal is to have pro-PR MPs hold the balance of power in a minority government.

https://secure.fairvote.ca/en/webinar2019

_______________________

_______________________

Dave Meslin on How to Rebuild Our Democracy

Thur. May 23, 7 p.m.

Toronto Reference Library, Bram and Bluma Appel Salon, 789 Yonge Street, #2nd floor

Our democracy is a trainwreck. Our elections feel hollow and our legislatures have become toxic. Fierce partisanship, centralized power, distorted election results and rigged systems all contribute to our growing cynicism. And yet, activist and community activist Dave Meslin thinks we can fix it. Come to a discussion with Dave Meslin about his new book, Teardown: Rebuilding Democracy From the Ground Up, on how we can take back our democracy.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/dave-meslin-on-how-to-rebuild-our-democracy-tickets-59113010606

_______________________

_______________________

Getting to Zero: Carbon or Taxes? The debate on how to address the Climate Crisis in Ontario

Thursday, May 23, 7:30 pm

St. Patrick's Parish Neumann Hall (side entrance), 131 McCaul St. (N. of Dundas)

How can we put 'Laudato Si' into action? With speaker: Christine Tu, M.Sc. Environmental Science. Sponsored by Pax Christi. All are welcome.

_______________________

_______________________

Madness, Violence, Power: A Critical Collection - Book Launch

Thur. May 23, 5:30 - 7:30 p.m.

A Different Booklist, 777-779 Bathurst Street

This book seeks to broaden understandings of violence manifest in the lives of mental health service users/survivors, ‘push’ current considerations to explore the impacts of systems and institutions that manage ‘abnormality’, and to create and foster space to explore the role of our own communities in justice and accountability dialogues. Refreshments and an engaging discussion with some of the authors who contributed to this timely and important book and dialogue. We will also have books for sale (at reduced rate)!

bit.ly/2W191KX

https://www.facebook.com/events/419403055304289/

_______________________

_______________________

Knock Down the House - Community Screening with MPP Suze Morrison

Thur. May 23, 6 - 8 p.m.

Glad Day Bookshop, 499 Church Street

Knock Down the House follows the incredible stories of four women who decide to run for office against all odds. At a moment of historic volatility in American politics, these women set themselves on a journey that changed their lives and country forever. While the documentary focuses on the experiences of women in American politics, women in Canada face many of the same barriers. And you will have the chance to learn about them, and the experiences from MPP Morrison herself!

https://www.facebook.com/events/347740845791260/

_______________________

_______________________

Poverty, Populism, Planet: Envisioning Economic Justice

Conference Featuring Maude Barlow

Thursday, May 23, 9:30 - 4 p.m.

George Brown College, 290 Adelaide St. E., 4th Floor

The 7th annual Tommy Douglas Institute at George Brown College is pleased to announce author, activist and Council of Canadians National Chair, Maude Barlow as its keynote speaker.

https://www.georgebrown.ca/tommydouglasinstitute/

_______________________

_______________________

Safe Space Podcast Live

Thur. May 23, 8:30 p.m.

Bloor Hot Docs, Bloor and Bathurst

Safe Space is a smart and hilarious podcast that looks at the news and does a double take. The live finale will tackle the topic of climate change with special guests:

• Matthew Green, former Hamilton City Councillor and NDP candidate in the upcoming federal election

• Dianne Saxe, Ontario's former environment commissioner

• Ishmael Daro, Digital Editor for Democracy Now!

• Sarah Hagi, freelance writer (GQ, The New Yorker, Vice)

• Jane Lytvynenko, Reporter, BuzzFeed

• Anne T. Donahue, pop culture writer and author of Nobody Cares

https://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/websales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=91058

_______________________

_______________________

International School Strike for Climate - Fridays For Future

Fri. May 24, 12:30 - 3 p.m.

Nathan Phillips Square, Toronto City Hall (Queen and Bay)

Youth around the world declared May 24th as an international climate strike day. The Toronto youth will be striking too. We'll march down Bay Street to demand that the banks invest in our future.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2318291461827096/

_______________________

_______________________

Bankrupt Climate Change: Barclays Divest!

Friday, May 24, 8:30 – 9:30 a.m.

333 Bay St

Hosted by Toronto 350.org and Extinction Rebellion Toronto. We’re taking action against banks funding climate change. They crashed the economy. Don’t let them crash the planet. If we beat Barclays, we can land a fatal blow to the fossil fuel industry. Join us in calling for Barclays to stop funding new fossil fuel projects and to start phasing out existing investments in the fossil fuel sector.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1321355878041042/

_______________________

_______________________

Fight the Cuts: Legal Aid in an Era of Austerity

Sat. May 25, 1 - 2 p.m.

Northrop Frye Hall, 73 Queen's Park Crescent East

The Ford government's 30% cut to Legal Aid Ontario's budget is a catastrophic attack on the communities we live in and work with. These cuts cannot go unchallenged. This erosion of public services comes at a time when so many people rely on legal services to assert their rights in in all aspects of their lives, while simultaneously facing drastic cuts to social services, education, healthcare, and more. Join us as we strategize how to fight these cuts. Activists from the legal sector and other sectors will discuss how the cuts to legal aid bolster the over-policing, income precarity, deportations, and more that our communities have already long been resisting. We say no to the cuts, we say no to austerity. Free.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fight-the-cuts-legal-aid-in-an-era-of-austerity-tickets-61383144638

_______________________

_______________________

March Against Bayer

Sat. May 25, 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.

Old City Hall, 60 Queen St. W.

Since Bayer’s acquisition of Monsanto in June 2018, we should all be far more concerned about the future of agriculture. We’re outraged how our agriculture system has been hijacked by a handful of chemical companies who continue to patent nature and forge monopolies over the world’s food supply. Research studies have shown that Bayer/Monsanto’s Genetically-Modified (GM) crops, and the herbicide glyphosate used in their production, have been linked to Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, kidney and liver damage, and digestive and mental health disorders, to name a few.  Environmentally, they’ve contributed to the decline of beneficial insects (including pollinators), soil degradation, and contamination of our food, water and air, affecting all life forms and everyone’s future. A European court recently ruled that gene-edited foods will be treated as GMOs and will face labeling regulations.  Unfortunately, that won’t be the case in Canada, where gene-edited crops will fall under Health Canada's inadequate and non-transparent regulations. Health Canada, the agency tasked with ensuring food safety for Canadians, is already approving these new GMOs technologies without labeling, despite having done NO research on their long-term health impacts.

https://www.facebook.com/events/347591242502059/

_______________________

_______________________

Vaccine Mandate Rally/Protest

Sat. May 25, noon - 3 .m.

Queen's Park (College and University)

This rally is to protest Ontario's vaccine mandates, to demand a Vaccine Injury Compensation program be put in place here in Canada, as well as raise awareness to how common vaccine injury is.

https://www.facebook.com/events/318838828859299

_______________________

_______________________

Music, Community and Social Justice - 20th Anniversary Concert and Sing-Along

Presented by Common Thread Community Chorus

Saturday May 25, Concert 3 p.m followed by a gala reception & sing-along at 5:30 p.m.

Estonian House, 958 Broadview Avenue

Join us at our celebratory concert, sing-along and reception.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/music-community-social-justice-tickets-59252498819

_______________________

_______________________

Decolonizing the Heart Workshop: Deep Learning for Deep Change

Sat. May 25, 9:30 - 5 p.m.

Toronto United Mennonite Church, 1774 Queen Street East

Reconciliation requires building relationships; building relationships requires more than coming together over issues; decolonizing our own hearts is necessary before we can work together for transformation. We begin by sharing our stories.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/decolonizing-the-heart-workshop-deep-learning-for-deep-change-tickets-60265810662

_______________________

_______________________

Transit Summit - Building transit movement power with TTC Riders

Sun. May 26, noon - 5:30 p.m.

North York Civic Centre

The purpose of the Summit is to build power and expand the movement for an affordable, accessible world-class public transit system. An afternoon of trainings, strategy sessions, and networking to build the power of the transit movement.

http://www.ttcriders.ca/2019-transit-summit-register-now/

_______________________

_______________________

Bike Month!

May 27 - June 30

http://www.bikemonth.ca/events

_______________________

_______________________

Together for Ontario

Saturday June 8, 10 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.

Bricker Academic Building, Wilfrid Laurier University, Bricker Ave, Waterloo

In the past year, Ontario has experienced a slew of regressive policies aiming to overturn decades of environmental protections put in place by previous governments of all political stripes. The list is staggering: the cancellation of the climate act and cap-and-trade, the legal challenge to carbon pricing, Bill 66, a gutting of the Endangered Species Act, changes to the Environmental Assessment Act, Growth Plan, and more on the way. Join us as we gather Ontario’s environmental community to launch a coordinated response to this attack on our environment and our province.

https://act.environmentaldefence.ca/page/42479/event/1

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

https://socialinnovation.org/community/events/

_______________________

_______________________

Our Fragile Planet - Toronto Public Library hosts free environmental programs

https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/fragileplanet

_______________________

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/