T.O. Greenspiration Events: Declare a Climate Emergency

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Jun 10 00:06:33 EDT 2019

Sign our petition calling on the Ford gov't to cut electricity costs instead of public services

Quebec can provide us with renewable water power at one third the cost of rebuilding Darlington, and one half the cost of extending Pickering.

http://www.cleanairalliance.org/budget-petition/

_______________________

_______________________

“More Homes, More Choice Act” guts protections for Ontario’s most vulnerable plants and animals

“The Endangered Species Act has been torn to shreds.” On Thursday, the Government of Ontario passed the More Homes, More Choice Act, a law that opens significant wildlife habitat to sprawl development through amendments to the Endangered Species Act, 2007 (ESA). The amendments give new powers to the Minister to delay, limit and remove protections for at-risk species. Further, it creates numerous, overlapping pathways for developers and industrialists to dodge critical requirements.

https://environmentaldefence.ca/2019/06/06/homes-choice-act-guts-protections-ontarios-vulnerable-plants-animals/?fbclid=IwAR2xfeIYe3NQBdUMYIouFTD1I2kB6ILow5pthQaElqeOUoFPbInDEt69-08

_______________________

_______________________

Oct 7 is @100debates on the #environment

The largest debates event to ever take place in Canada on the most urgent topic of our time. 🌎 #elxn43 #cdnpoli

www.100debates.ca

_______________________

_______________________

231 'imperative' changes: The MMIWG inquiry's calls for justice

There are 231 steps that need to be taken by governments and Canadians in order to end the genocide against Indigenous women and girls according to the final report of the National Inquiry into Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/indigenous/mmiwg-inquiry-report-1.5158385

_______________________

_______________________

Tell Rod Phillips Ontario Minister of Environment to End Plastic Pollution by Nestlé

Nestlé has bottled 2 billion litres of water in Aberfoyle, Ontario since 2016 when its permit to take water expired. That's billions of plastic bottles, half of which end up in landfills or litter. Wnd plastic pollution and protect our aquifers by disallowing Nestlé to bottle water in Ontario.

https://wellingtonwaterwatchers.nationbuilder.com/end-nestle-plastic-pollution

_______________________

_______________________

Meet the Animal Rights Activists Facing Prison Time for Rescuing Ducks, Piglets from Factory Farms

More than 600 activists with Direct Action Everywhere stormed a CA slaughterhouse, fanning out in teams to chain themselves together and lock themselves to equipment while others rescued animals. Cops arrested 98, some who if convicted will face decades in prison. “The real criminality is the systemic torture and slaughter of billions of animals in the cruelest, filthiest, most sadistic conditions. It breaks multiple laws. But the police protect the corporate criminals, & instead arrest those saving lives,”

https://www.democracynow.org/2019/6/6/direct_action_everywhere_dxe_duck_farm?utm_source=Democracy+Now%21&utm_campaign=bc95dd9740-Daily_Digest_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fa2346a853-bc95dd9740-191859373

_______________________

_______________________

New York City’s newly passed Green New Deal, explained

“This package of bills will be the single largest carbon reduction effort in any city, anywhere, not just New York City, that has been put forward”

https://grist.org/article/new-york-citys-newly-passed-green-new-deal-explained/

_______________________

_______________________

Build protected bike lanes on Danforth!

Yes, it's time for an east west bike lane, from Scarborough to Mississauga (a.k.a. Take-the-Tooker!). A small stretch has been built on Bloor. Next let's get Danforth. Then let's join them up. And so on. Send a letter to the Mayor and your Councillor here.

https://davidsuzuki.org/action/bike-lanes-on-danforth/

_______________________

_______________________

Subway Upload is Here - Now What?

The provincial government rushed to pass its transit takeover legislation this week. Bill 107 opens the TTC up to privatization and gives the province the power to dictate rapid transit plans and take over TTC and City of Toronto assets without compensation. But the fight to keep the TTC fully funded, publicly owned, and accountable is far from over. We have a big opportunity to show just how many people care about keeping the TTC under local control. In the coming weeks, the City of Toronto will hold public consultations about the province's transit takeover. MPPs and City Councillors will be watching closely. RSVP to a transit consultation

Thursday June 13, 6:30pm to 8:30pm

Father Serra Catholic School

111 Sun Row Drive, Etobicoke

https://act.ttcriders.ca/etobicoke_consultation?e=a99af34d2b583d538ab14c8b6cc65475&utm_source=ttcriders&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=consults&n=1

Thursday, June 20, 6:30pm to 8:30pm

North York Memorial Community Hall

5510 Yonge Street, North York

https://act.ttcriders.ca/consultation_northyork?e=a99af34d2b583d538ab14c8b6cc65475&utm_source=ttcriders&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=consults&n=2

Saturday, June 23, 10:30am to 12:30pm

Scarborough Civic Centre

150 Borough Drive, Scarborough

https://act.ttcriders.ca/consultation_scarborough?e=a99af34d2b583d538ab14c8b6cc65475&utm_source=ttcriders&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=consults&n=3

Thursday, June 27, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.

City Hall, Council Chamber

100 Queen Street West, Toronto

https://act.ttcriders.ca/consultation_downtown?e=a99af34d2b583d538ab14c8b6cc65475&utm_source=ttcriders&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=consults&n=4

These consultations are only happening because you convinced City Councillors that they couldn't sit back and watch while the province takes control of our transit system. Now we need to make sure that they hear from us loud and clear: the TTC belongs to Toronto!  If you can't make it in person, can you fill out the online transit survey on the City of Toronto's webpage https://act.ttcriders.ca/r?u=KsryHOx2z1hVAWG_B1RjikeIWs7eQ5NZt1WhJWCl2yfUy3ClkrbMUPzYTqcJkiqQ&e=a99af34d2b583d538ab14c8b6cc65475&utm_source=ttcriders&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=consults&n=5 ?

We put together a short cheat sheet https://act.ttcriders.ca/r?u=FHnL8ikUv8WviObJjkW8kdWOxpTbWYtQKL0oAej53G0d7mi2kYhN4GhB6QhsSo_Gd_vi5bb2KAW1z4fPEyQbNdhggAMdOOnz9AjwkkulRvD7QovtdtKANQ9d6tum2vND9JItvNVrgqT_sR_pccZsZg&e=a99af34d2b583d538ab14c8b6cc65475&utm_source=ttcriders&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=consults&n=6 to suggest some survey responses. Feel free to suggest your own too.

_______________________

_______________________

Special Committee on Toronto Governance Consultations

The City is holding public sessions, launching an online survey and creating a self-guided kit for residents or organizations who want to host their own discussions to gather ideas for the Special Committee on Governance. Share your ideas for decision making in Toronto.

Five public sessions will be held in June. At each session, the first hour from 6 – 7pm is the Open House followed by a short presentation and discussion from 7 – 9pm.

Monday, June 10, Etobicoke Olympium (250 Rathburn Rd)

Wednesday, June 12, Scarborough Civic Centre (150 Borough Dr)

Thursday, June 13, North York Civic Centre, Burgundy Room (5100 Yonge Street)

Saturday, June 15, Metro Hall, Rooms 308/309 (55 John St)

Monday, June 17, North Toronto Memorial Community Centre (200 Eglinton Ave W)

www.toronto.ca/TOgovernance

_______________________

_______________________

Road Block - an Interfaith Cry for Climate Action / Faith For Creation - Declare a Climate Emergency

Mon. June 10, 5:45 - 6:15 p.m.

Yonge-Dundas Square

Extinction Rebellion will be standing together with faith leaders, stopping traffic during the afternoon rush hour to remind Toronto and the world that business as usual has to stop.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2290143367980200/

https://www.facebook.com/events/2214671198622075/

_______________________

_______________________

Sunrise Toronto Green New Deal Town Hall

Mon. June 10, 7 p.m.

Beach United Church, 140 Wineva Ave.

Who stands to benefit from the Green New Deal? What's at stake? Join us at this Town Hall to hear leaders in our community share about how the Green New Deal is the biggest opportunity of our lifetime to invest in the Canadian people, and what that looks like for us. Fridays For Future Toronto is co-hosting this youth-lead Green New Deal Townhall.

https://www.facebook.com/events/369957516837018/

_______________________

_______________________

A Green New Deal for All

Tues. June 11, 7 - 9 p.m.

Bloor Street United Church, 300 Bloor Street West

The Leap and Friends are hitting the road to build a wave of popular support behind the Green New Deal in Canada. Speakers and performers include Naomi Klein, Maya Menezes, Pam Palmater, David Suzuki, and Toronto's famous Raging Asian Women Taiko Drummers (RAW). We'll hear about: How the climate crisis is affecting our communities. Who’s responsible for the mess we’re in, and How the Green New Deal can build a better life for all. The evening will close with a 'barnstorm' led by 350.org. We’re going to fall in love with what’s possible. And we’re going to lay out our plan to win — together..

https://www.facebook.com/events/2193751557412110/

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Action: Let's #TransformTO Together

Tues. June 11, 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.

Riverdale Public Library, 370 Broadview

Learn about impacts of climate change, the City's climate strategy, TransformTO and how to get involved.

_______________________

_______________________

Island Airport Master Plan Update – Final Public Meeting

Wednesday, June 12, 6:30 - 8:30 pm

Metro Toronto Convention Centre, South Building, Room 701A, Front and John St.

The Island Airport Master Plan is being updated this year. The third and final public meeting about this process has been scheduled to share information, answer questions, and receive your comments.

http://www.joecressy.com/island_airport_master_plan_update_final_public_meeting?fbclid=IwAR2O-cS7n4e3efa5QkOoL3jwYDF824lGhP3E01ymu9gjjV80ct9bqiA-E6w

_______________________

_______________________

Indigenous Environmental Justice Project

Wed. June 12, 6:30 p.m.

Lillian H. Smith Library, 239 College

Members of IEJP will introduce the concepts of environmental justice and present recent research findings.

_______________________

_______________________

Summer LEAP Strategy Picnic

Thur. June 13, 3 - 5 p.m.

Victoria University, U of T

Hosted by Leap Chapter UofT

https://www.facebook.com/events/2367814146796017/

_______________________

_______________________

Decolonizing the Heart Workshop: Deep Learning for Deep Change

Sat. June 15, 9:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Toronto United Mennonite Church, 1774 Queen Street East

Our aim in this day-long workshop is to explore ways of being that keep us apart and ways that bring us together. Through this process we hope to understand the work we require for balance and harmony. Some of the topics we cover are motivation, identity formation, media literacy, privilege, concepts of spiritual, emotional, physical and intellectual intelligence, critical communication strategies, understanding the political economy of the production of knowledge, and more. Some of the tools we’ll be using are storytelling, role-playing, mapping social relationships, effective facilitation skills, fundamentals for having difficult conversations, and more.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/decolonizing-the-heart-workshop-deep-learning-for-deep-change-tickets-60265810662

_______________________

_______________________

Bells on Danforth

Sat. June 15, 10:30 a.m. - 2 p.m.

Starting at Withrow Park (Riverdale)

A family-friendly, pedal powered parade to celebrate cycling on the Danforth.

https://www.facebook.com/events/277837533101579/

_______________________

_______________________

Green New Deal Forum and Eco Fun Fair

Sunday, June 16, 1-5 pm

Phin Park (south of Danforth along Greenwood)

There will also be fun activities for children, a display of electric vehicles, and local artisans selling food and crafts. The forum on the Green New Deal will be from 2 - 4 pm under our big tent.

https://act.greennewdealcanada.ca/town-halls/toronto-on5/

_______________________

_______________________

Training for Kitchen Table climate Conversation Campaign

Sat. June 22, 10 - 4 p.m.

Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave

This is a training day for a campaign we want to roll out across the province to encourage conversation and action on the climate crisis. Our goal is to see hundreds, even thousands of conversations take place across the province this summer and fall. Working together we can make this happen! This is an inter-generational initiative. Join the training if you would like to be a facilitator, resource person, or organizer for kitchen table conversations in the GTA or across the province.   $20 or pwyc. Email: lyn at climatefast.ca.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/kitchen-table-climate-conversations-training-day-tickets-62760284701

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

https://socialinnovation.org/community/events/

_______________________

_______________________

Our Fragile Planet - Toronto Public Library hosts free environmental programs

https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/fragileplanet

_______________________

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/