T.O. Greenspiration Events: 10 Green Commandments

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Jun 24 00:26:43 EDT 2019

We Decide: Our Future with a Green New Deal

Help win a Green New Deal by turning your community into a Green New Deal Community. Together, we can build a Green New Deal from the ground up. You can use this Organizing Guide to raise awareness in your community and build support for a Green New Deal.

https://canadians.org/greennewdeal

Call on federal party leaders to participate in a debate on climate change and a Green New Deal

https://350.org/canada-debate/

_______________________

_______________________

Canadian Senate Passes Impact Assessment Act, B.C. Tanker Ban, Arctic Drilling Moratorium

https://theenergymix.com/2019/06/21/breaking-canadian-senate-passes-impact-assessment-act-b-c-tanker-ban-arctic-drilling-moratorium/

House of Commons declares a climate emergency ahead of pipeline decision

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/climate-emergency-motion-1.5179802

_______________________

_______________________

Ten Green Commandments of Laudato Si' – one of the most important environmental texts of the 21st century

Video of webinar: https://vimeo.com/343079607

Slides from webinar: https://www.dropbox.com/s/48ae8zwz27gh6sd/FINAL.SSF%20June%2018%20Encyclical%20slides%20%281%29.pdf?dl=0

_______________________

_______________________

NVDA Training (Non-Violent Direct-Action Training)

Mon. June 24, 5 - 8 p.m.

OISE Room 5240

Prepare for a summer of disruption to make our demands heard before the fall election. A three-hour non-violent direct-action training led by seasoned social justice activist Maggie Helwig.

https://www.facebook.com/events/632001627316104/

_______________________

_______________________

4 Corners Action on Bay Street

Hosted by Extinction Rebellion Toronto

Tues. June 25, 8 .m. - 6 p.m.

Bay and King

Let's remind Bay Street that simple pleasures like songs and soap bubbles easily outshine a billion dollars in fossil fuel dividends.  XR (Extinction Rebellion) Toronto is inviting any and all musicians, mimes, clowns, jugglers, dancers and artists of all kinds to come down to King and Bay and perform. Why are we doing this?  Because governments, media companies and industry haven't delivered on our demands yet which include:

1. The the Media and Government tell the truth about our climate crisis.

2. That the government and businesses develop a plan that brings us to net-zero emissions by 2025.

3. A people's assembly to oversee the transition.

https://www.facebook.com/events/355901611944051/

_______________________

_______________________

How to Engage Rural Communities on Climate Change

Tues. June 25, 1 p.m.

Webinar

Panelists will share up-to-the-minute lessons on how to engage farmers and rural communities on climate change; they'll also share tools they've honed to overcome the challenges of rural organizing and build strong, collaborative campaigns.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2554095540789436171

_______________________

_______________________

Transport Futures – Subway Planning Forum

Wed. June 26, 6:30 pm

Innis Town Hall, U of T, 2 Sussex Avenue

The Ontario government unveiled their $28.5-billion subway plan for the Toronto area in April. We will debate the new plan’s pros and cons in terms of seamless and integrated transportation, smart land use, economic costs and benefits, cutting-edge technology, innovative financing, social equity, improved governance and environmental protection. Greenspiration subscribers receive a special 15% discount -- use discount code (DC) GRSP7.

www.transportfutures.ca/subway

_______________________

_______________________

Where Will Our Food Come From?

Wed. June 26, 2 p.m.

Webinar

What would it really take to create a truly sustainable food system? How would highly-localized, fossil-fuel-free, energy-efficient food systems impact our rural, urban, and suburban communities? What can individuals and community groups do to affect meaningful change on such a massive system?

https://www.postcarbon.org/events/where-will-our-food-come-from/

_______________________

_______________________

Indigenizing Cities - Honoring the Truth and Reconciling for a Collaborative Future

Wednesday, June 26, 6- 8 pm

Evergreen Brick Works

Keynote: Douglas Cardinal, Architect In conversation with: Lindsay (Swooping Hawk) Kretschmer, Executive Director, Toronto Aboriginal Social Service Association and Riley Yesno, Writer, Advocate.

https://futurecitiescanada.ca/events/tdspeakerseries/?utm_campaign=whats-on-news&utm_source=evergreen&utm_medium=email&utm_content=2019-06

_______________________

_______________________

Leadnow's Volunteer Orientation for Climate Action

Wed. June 26, 7 p.m.

Bloor United Church, 300 Bloor St W

Against a backdrop of record floods and wildfires, and daily headlines about the climate emergency, an historic movement is rising up. We’ve got a plan to channel this momentum to convince political parties to make bold climate action the centrepiece of their election campaigns, but we need your help.

https://act.leadnow.ca/toronto-rsvp-june26/

_______________________

_______________________

The Social Cost of the Information Age

Wed. June 26, 7 p.m.

Toronto Public Library, 789 Yonge Street, Bram and Bluma Appel Salon #2nd floor

The rise of the internet promised a world of open and freely accessible information, where citizens would easily exchange ideas and build better societies. Twenty years later, that world feels like a far-fetched dream. Today, a handful of private tech monopolies mediate our communications, proprietary algorithms use our data to manipulate our choices, and the very foundations of our democracy are under threat. Welcome to the age of surveillance capitalism. How did we get here? And how do we dig ourselves out of this dystopia? Panel discussion. Free

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-social-cost-of-the-information-age-tickets-63584233153

_______________________

_______________________

Toronto Summit on Climate Action & Gender Equality

Thur. June 27, 6:30 - 9 p.m.

Quaker House, 60 Lowther Ave

Did you know that the number one solution to global warming is the combination of educating girls and family planning? Join Drawdown Toronto, a project of Unify Toronto, to expand your thinking to act on climate change solutions.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/drawdown-toronto-summit-on-climate-action-gender-equality-tickets-61311275676?mc_eid=48c86714b8&mc_cid=fd349c7198

_______________________

_______________________

High Minded: Is the Man Who is Tall Happy? - doc with Noam Chomsky

Thur. June 27, 7 p.m.

Bloor Hot Docs, Bloor and Bathurst

In this visual and cerebral feast, visionary director Michel Gondry (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind) applies his unique imagination to the mind-expanding ideas of renowned linguist and activist Noam Chomsky with old-school hand-drawn animation. Centered around a captivating conversation between the two, Chomsky’s stimulating line of thought grooves in sync with a free-flowing series of drawings in a perfect marriage between left-brain and right-brain thinking. A potent mix of DIY filmmaking, abstract expressionism and philosophy, get ready to shift your perspective and become immersed in an altered state of documentary.

https://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/websales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=93234~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&utm_source=eBulletin&utm_medium=2019.05.30HDC&utm_campaign=HDCSeries&utm_content=HMManTallHappy

_______________________

_______________________

Taking Root: The Vision of Wangari Maathai

Thursday June 27, 6:30 pm

Lower Social Room, Noor Cultural Centre, Don Mills

Film on Wangari Maathai, Green Belt movement

https://noorculturalcentre.ca/toronto-climate-film-festival-taking-root-the-vision-of-wangari-maathai/

http://www.tcff.ca/events/

_______________________

_______________________

Meditate for climate - Last Climate Strike of the school year

Friday, June 28, 12:30 - 3 pm

Queen's Park, Toronto

Our last large climate of this academic year will have usual CHANTS, but will be followed by a massive meditation session. Bring your blankets and mats for the mediation.

https://www.facebook.com/events/365718540966531/

_______________________

_______________________

An Ecology of Mind

Fri. June 28, 7:30 p.m.

McLuhan Centre for Culture and Technology, 39A Queen's Park Crescent East

An Ecology of Mind is a film portrait of Gregory Bateson, celebrated anthropologist, philosopher, author, naturalist, systems theorist, and filmmaker. Followed by panel discussion.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/an-ecology-of-mind-tickets-62433276611

_______________________

_______________________

OSEA Climate Change Resiliency Symposium

Fri. June 28, 9 a.m. - noon

Ontario Investment & Trade Centre 250 Yonge St., 35th Floor

It has become increasingly impossible to escape extreme weather events -- such as flooding, tornadoes, wildfires etc. -- in our urban and rural landscapes. Most people would ascribe our extreme weather and impacts to climate change. How are leaders in the insurance and reinsurance industry coping? How will “adaptation” and “mitigation” impact our cities? Will predictive research models improve our watershed management and rapid urban intensification? Finally, how do we ensure our communities have developed sufficient “resiliency” mechanisms to cope with increasingly damaging and unpredictable weather events. $50

https://ontario-sea.org/event-3449102

_______________________

_______________________

Ontario vs. the War Machine

Sat. June 29, 7 - 9 p.m.

Studio.89, 1065 Canadian Place, Unit 104, Mississauga

Come together to learn about World BEYOND War, a global grassroots network advocating for the end to all wars! There will be an info session on what the organization does, its goals, and how you can get involved! We will talk about World BEYOND War's educational programs, including WBW's "A Global Security System: An Alternative to War" book and the Study War No More discussion & action guide.

https://actionnetwork.org/events/ontario-chapter-info-night/

_______________________

_______________________

No Veganwashing Israeli Crimes - Animal Liberation & Palestine Solidarity

Sun. June 30, 7 - 9 p.m.

Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave

Join us for a panel discussion on the recent history of veganwashing, the need for a comprehensive response from the animal liberation movement and the politics of BDS organizing.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1740884342723845/

_______________________

_______________________

Pedestrian Sundays in Kensington Market

Every last Sunday of the Month - June 30 - July 2 - August 25 - September 29 - October 27, 2019

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

https://socialinnovation.org/community/events/

_______________________

_______________________

Our Fragile Planet - Toronto Public Library hosts free environmental programs

https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/fragileplanet

_______________________

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/