No Nukes News: Why women should oppose nuclear power

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Tue Jul 9 14:45:24 EDT 2019

July 8, 2019

The World

☢ Why women should oppose nuclear power Today, pregnant women don’t get x-rays. So why do they live near nuclear power plants? More than 60 studies worldwide show an increased rate of leukemia among children under five years old living close to nuclear power plants. The closer the children lived to the reactor, the higher the leukemia rates. More here and here.

☢ Duke to accelerate Florida nuclear plant decommissioning by almost 50 years Pickering should too! Immediate dismantling is the international best practice, it acts as a jobs transition, and OPG has the money in its decommissioning fund – there’s no need to wait 30 years before decommissioning which currently is OPG’s plan.

☢ A rogue regulator worth reading A shocking if predictable look inside a captured nuclear agency.  A thorough book review about the chief US nuclear regulator who turned rogue and is calling for its demise.

☢ Anishinabek Chiefs-in-Assembly unanimously oppose small modular nuclear reactors on Anishinabek territory “SMRs and nuclear power in general represents an unacceptable risk to our Nation. The Anishinabek Nation is vehemently opposed to any effort to situate SMRs within our territory. The stance we have taken is in support of the seven generations to come.” More here.

☢ Nuclear power is not the answer in a time of climate change The Woolsey Fire that scorched almost 100,000 acres in Southern CA began at a nuclear research facility. In a rapidly warming world, such fires will be more frequent, along with floods and sea-level rise, and nuclear sites and their radioactive inventories only add to the potential for climate-caused disasters.

☢  Nuclear Power Threatened by Heat Waves Climbing temperatures are not the first climate impact to strike nuclear power plants: The sector has also faced challenges from periodic but increasingly frequent droughts that can cause local water sources to run low.

☢ The 7 reasons why nuclear energy is not the answer to solve climate change

☢ Chernobyl A dramatization of the true story of the catastrophic nuclear accident at Chernobyl. Watch the 5 part HBO mini-series online here for free. For more info and background, see this resource page and this one.Ontario

☢ What is Bruce Power so afraid of? Why is Bruce Power so afraid of letting us know what the cost of power will be from the reactors it wants to spend billions of dollars re-building? Bruce Power should drop its appeal and come clean on the future price increases for its nuclear energy.

☢ Let’s focus on new and renewable power sources The time for Ontario’s nuclear energy, and its risks, has come and gone, Angela Bischoff writes.

☢ Legault announces plan to electrify Quebec's economy, reduce oil consumption Quebec Premier Legeault said he would offer Ontario a deal we can't refuse: Renewable water power for one third the price of rebuilding Darlington and half the price of extending Pickering. The difference is billions of dollars. What is Doug Ford waiting for?

☢ New Ontario Government Energy Legislation Favours Big Business Over Consumers and the Environment Instead of a green and economically favourable mix of conservation and renewables, Ontario will proceed with costly nuclear plant rebuilds, largely benefiting the ethically embattled principal contractor, SNC Lavalin.

☢ Bruce County may house Canada’s largest-ever nuclear waste dump The Nuclear Waste Management Organization is looking for a site to bury more than 5 million bundles of spent nuclear fuel from 7 sites around Canada. Transportation of the radioactive waste, based on one to two shipments daily, would take more than 44 years.Renewables and Conservation

☼ How Can We Reach 100% Renewable Energy? Movements such as the Green New Deal pushing for 100% renewables are gaining momentum. Stanford's Mark Z. Jacobson says we have the technology to get to 80% renewables by 2030 and 100% by 2050. Must watch 20 min. video.

☼ Renewable energy industry employed 11 million people in 2018 Beyond climate goals, governments are prioritizing renewables as a driver of low-carbon economic growth a.k.a. jobs.

☼ Geothermal energy is taking off globally, so why not in Canada? Despite being one of the most well-positioned countries in the world to capitalize on geothermal energy, Canada seems stuck at the starting line.

☼ 1.5°C Still Doable Without ‘Unproven, Dangerous’ Geoengineering or Nuclear This panel discussed how we can limit average global warming to 1.5 with rapid deployment of proven, off-the-shelf 100% renewable energy and energy efficiency rather than dangerous and unproven geoengineering or nuclear.Take Action!

☢ Let's cut hydro costs instead of the services Ontarians need Sign our petition to express your support for cutting hydro costs by making a deal with Quebec instead of cutting valuable public services.

☢ Volunteers needed: We're leafletting mailboxes in Doug Ford's hood of N. Etobicoke. Can you join the group blitzes -- or go out in your own anywhere in ON? If so, please contact  angela at cleanairalliance.org

☢ Canadian Government must protect our rivers from radioactive waste Please sign the petition to protect the Ottawa and Winnipeg Rivers currently threatened by three Canadian Nuclear Laboratories’ (CNL’s) nuclear waste dump proposals.Events

☢ Protest Flotilla to Protect the Ottawa River Sat. July 27. Join us for a family-friendly Flotilla Protest against the federal government and its negligence in regulating the irresponsible proposals made by SNC Lavalin and other multinationals to build low-budget radioactive waste dumps on the shores of the Ottawa River at Chalk River and Rolphton.

☢ International Anti-nuclear Summer Camp 2019 Join the gathering in Germany on August 12-18 for networking, exchanging of experiences and knowledge regarding nuclear policies, skill sharing, preparing common campaigns, actions and projects.
 follow on Twitter | friend on Facebook | forward to a friend

You are subscribed to the No Nuke News list published by the Ontario Clean Air Alliance.
Our mailing address is: Ontario Clean Air Alliance160 John St, #300Toronto, On M5V 2E5 Canada
Add us to your address book