No Nukes News: nuclear power is dystopian

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sat Sep 21 14:00:55 EDT 2019

Sept. 20, 2019☢ Coal is gone, gone, gone We did it. And we’re now using the same effective approach we applied to getting rid of dirty coal to moving Ontario to a 100% renewable energy future - without nukes. We need your support to keep our mighty efforts going. Help us complete the journey to a 100% renewable future by making a donation today!

The World

☢ The 'advanced' nuclear power sector is dystopian because of its connections to fossil fuel mining and nuclear weapons proliferation.

☢ Bernie Sanders' Plan to Phase out Nuclear Power Draws Attacks from the Nuclear Industry Attacks on the Sanders' climate plan appear to have less to do with the ongoing viability of nuclear power as a legitimate climate solution and more to do with an ongoing effort to convince the public to subsidize another unsuccessful sector of the energy industry.

☢ Russia floating nuclear power station sets sail Critics including Greenpeace point to previous Russian and Soviet nuclear accidents and warn that this mission increases the risk of polluting the Arctic – a remote, sparsely-populated region with no big clean-up facilities. The launch comes just two weeks after a nuclear-powered engine blew up on a Russian naval test range in the Arctic, killing five nuclear engineers and releasing radiation.

☢ Americans are paying more than ever to store deadly nuclear waste With no place of its own to keep the waste, the US Gov’t now says it expects to pay $35.5 billion to private companies as more and more nuclear plants shut down, unable to compete with cheaper natural gas and renewable energy sources.

☢ The $49 billion – and counting – millstones that is nuclear power A whopping $49 billion has been recently been spent in the US on propping up 15 aging reactors through subsidies and building two new – and still incomplete – ones.

☢ Fukushima: Japan will have to dump radioactive water into Pacific, minister says More than a million tonnes of contaminated water lies in storage but the power company says it will run out of space by 2022. Watch a 3 min. video of Dr. Gordon Edwards explaining why we should be concerned about their plan to dump it in the Pacific ocean. Other critics panned the plan saying it’s just another reason to not build nuclear power plants. Others say the tritiated water should be stored, not dumped. Read Dr. Fairlie's reasons for continued storage.

☢ New Japanese environment minister touts end of nuclear power On his first day at the office, Japan's new environment minister has said he has no intention of ever restarting the reactors. “I would like to study how we will scrap them, not how to retain them. "We will be doomed if we allow another accident to occur"

☢ Conservatives and Liberals advance corporate Canada's nuclear dreams The Conservatives handed the federal government's nuclear research facilities over to SNC-Lavalin and its partners, along with a juicy multi-year, multi-billion-dollar contract. The Liberals pulled out all the stops so SNC-Lavalin could continue to hold federal contracts, despite fraud and corruption charges.

☢ Chiefs-in-Assembly oppose small modular reactors on Anishinabek lands “SMRs and nuclear power in general represent an unacceptable risk to our nation. The Anishinabek Nation is vehemently opposed to any effort to situate SMRs within our territory.”Ontario

☢ Greens talk radioactive waste, Chalk River and SNC-Lavalin– and why Ontarians should care Covered for the first time in Canada's national press, the SNC-Lavalin scandal involving charges of criminal corruption and federal government collusion has been directly linked to charges of mismanagement of radioactive waste at Chalk River. The Green Party of Canada has also called for a full nuclear phase-out.

☢ The space race has a dirty nuclear secret and it's right here in Ontario Unbeknownst to most Canadians, the Darlington nuclear power plant 70 kilometres east of Toronto has been poised to play a not-so-small role in the U.S. race to weaponize space

☢ What happened to the smog days of summer? Closing ON's 5 coal plants was the largest climate and smog-busting initiative in Canada's history. Thank-you Ontario Clean Air Alliance for leading the charge. Just goes to show that civil society can create substantial change!

☢ Trouble with ON Reactors Catch this one hour interview with Metta Spencer​, Gordon Edwards​ and me about the costs, dangers and alternatives to Ontario's 18 nuclear power reactors. Renewables and Conservation

☼ Global renewable energy initiative aims to bring a billion people in from the dark Worldwide commission aims to end energy poverty in sub-Saharan Africa and south Asia by driving investment in new green technology

☼ Cut Energy Waste to Prevent Three New Gas Plants, Michigan Utility CEO Urges Consumers This Michigan power utility has turned to conservation to replace nuclear, coal and gas plants – good for consumers and the climate.Take Action!

☢ Order your FREE leaflets here calling on the Ford Government to Cut the Cuts and invest in water power from Quebec rather than rebuilding 10 nuclear reactors. If you can spare a few hours to leaflet your neighbourhood mailboxes, let me know. (angela at cleanairalliance.org)

☢ Please sign our petitions to CutTheCuts and move to 100%RenewableOntario and share them with your friends.

☢ Stop OPG's  Nuclear Waste Dump Before It's Too Late Learn more about OPG’s nuke waste dump proposal in Kincardine, ON, and write Minister McKenna, Premier Ford and PM Trudeau here.

☢ Order your free KI (anti-thyroid-cancer) pills here if you live within 50 km of an ON nuclear facility - that includes all of Toronto and beyond. Download your anti-thyroid cancer posters here to post in your office, school, or local cafe.Events

☢ International Climate Strike - General Strike for Climate On Fri. Sept. 27, students and youth across Canada are joining others around the world for the Global Climate Strike organized by Fridays for Future by walking out of their classrooms to demand action on the climate crisis. Find your nearest event here. Here is the Toronto event.

☢ The Politics of Climate Change: A Green New Deal for Canada? Oct. 2-3. Join us for a two-day event with scholars, activists, journalists and policy practitioners to discuss a Green New Deal for Canada.

☢ What Can Canada Do To Prevent Nuclear War? With Nobel Laureate John Polanyi Wed. Oct. 2, 5 pm, U of TorontoPlease support our work to create a nuclear-free Ontario.

 follow on Twitter | friend on Facebook | forward to a friend

You are subscribed to the No Nuke News list published by the Ontario Clean Air Alliance.
Our mailing address is: Ontario Clean Air Alliance160 John St, #300Toronto, On M5V 2E5 Canada
Add us to your address book