T.O. Greenspiration Events: Strike for Climate Justice

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Nov 24 22:28:28 EST 2019

Stop BWXT’s License Renewal: Shut Down the Uranium Processing Plant at Dupont and Lansdowne

Please sign the petition opposing the 10-year license extension of this dangerous uranium plant in the heart of our city.

https://www.change.org/p/justin-trudeau-stop-bwxt-s-license-renewal-shut-down-the-uranium-processing-plant

For more info, read this piece published in NOW magazine last week:

https://nowtoronto.com/news/uranium-processing-plant-in-west-end-applies-for-10-year-lic/

_______________________

_______________________

Ford defends $231M in cancellation costs for green energy projects

“Ford’s attack on clean energy will keep Ontario in the dark ages while the rest of the world transitions to a prosperous economic future.” Green Leader Mike Schreiner

https://www.thestar.com/politics/provincial/2019/11/21/ford-defends-231m-in-cancellation-costs-for-green-energy-projects.html

_______________________

_______________________

Here’s a link to the Green Budget Coalition’s final recommendations for the 2020 federal budget

It focuses on scaling up federal fiscal action on the climate emergency and the biodiversity crisis, as well as sustainable agriculture and toxics and pesticides, and includes year-by-year costing and lead department(s) for each recommendation.

http://greenbudget.ca/2020recommendations/

_______________________

_______________________

Take action now to protect your pension and the climate

How is your pension investing your retirement savings in the face of the climate crisis? Tell your pension fund to protect your pension and the planet.

https://www.shiftaction.ca/take-action

The Canada Pension Plan’s Failure to Respect the 1.5-Degree Celsius Limit

https://www.policyalternatives.ca/publications/reports/fossil-futures

_______________________

_______________________

I support ON's teachers and education workers - Petition

https://cupe.on.ca/eduworkerspetition/

_______________________

_______________________

Strange Weather: The Science & Art of Climate Change

Mon. Nov. 25, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.

Campbell Conference Facility, Munk School of Global Affairs, 1 Devonshire Pl, U of T

Without artists and humanists, science is frequently lost in translation; while artistic work that disregards science risks irrelevancy. The Science & Art of Climate Change – a one day symposium – will bring together climate scientists, humanists and artists to bridge this disciplinary gap.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/strange-weather-the-science-and-art-of-climate-change-tickets-79415488865

_______________________

_______________________

Lobbying 101 - A Post-Election Climate Action Advocacy Workshop

Monday, November 25, 7 - 9 p.m.

Metro Hall, Room 308, 55 John St. (St Andrew TTC)

JustEarth is holding another training workshop to prepare Fridays for the Future (and others who have not lobbied before) on how to lobby a federal MP. JustEarth also undertakes to set up meetings with MPs for those attending.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/lobbying-101-a-post-election-climate-change-advocacy-workshop-tickets-80750858993

_______________________

_______________________

What Does Solidarity Look Like?

Monday, Nov. 25, 6 - 9 pm

Workers Action Centre, 720 Spadina Avenue, Suite 226

Anxious about the climate crisis and itching to do something about it? Join Climate Justice Toronto (CJTO) for an in-depth orientation to learn about how we’re collectively fighting for transformative climate action. You don’t need a degree in policy or years of activism under your belt to organize with us; all are welcome! This orientation will make space for deeper discussion of the root causes of the climate crisis, such as capitalism, colonialism, and white supremacy. We’ll also explore CJTO's grassroots & youth-led organizing structure, guiding principles, and theory of change. Finally, we’ll end with a short canvass training so you’ll feel comfortable talking about climate justice when you’re petitioning, and really with everyone you know.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2596183607107606/

_______________________

_______________________

16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence

Nov. 25 - Dec. 10

The 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence is an annual international campaign that kicks off on 25 November, the International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women, and runs until 10 December, Human Rights Day. In 2019 theme is:  “Orange the World: Generation Equality Stands against Rape!” While the names, times and contexts may differ, women and girls universally experience rape, sexual violence, and abuse, in times of peace or war. #OrangeTheWorld and #GenerationEquality

https://www.unwomen.org/en/what-we-do/ending-violence-against-women/take-action/16-days-of-activism

_______________________

_______________________

Heading for Extinction

Tues. Nov. 26, 7 - 8:30 p.m.

OISE, 252 Bloor St W, Room 2296, U of T

We are facing a climate catastrophe and the beginning of the world’s 6th mass extinction event. What does it all actually mean? What are the risks? What can you do? Join us for a discussion around the science with Extinction Rebellion + Science for Peace to get up to speed on the latest climate science and how we can prevent ecological + systems collapse. This is a bi-weekly event held at the University of Toronto. Each week we will cover a different topic.

https://www.facebook.com/events/724424651336509/?event_time_id=724424661336508

_______________________

_______________________

Building a Movement for Climate Action

Tues. Nov. 26, 6 - 8 pm

Runnymede United Church, 432 Runnymede Rd.

Join MPP Bhutila Karpoche for this public forum. Hear from activists, organizations and legislators on climate action. We’ll discuss the importance of building solidarity by approaching the issue from an indigenous, racialized, workers’ and eco-justice perspectives.

https://www.bhutilakarpoche.ca/events

_______________________

_______________________

How to Knock on Doors and Phone Bank

Tues. Nov. 26, 6 - 9 p.m.

1179 King Street West, Suite 202 (Near Dufferin and King, entrance on King)

Conservatives like Doug Ford are bringing in unpopular and harmful cuts that deepen inequality and further set back the next generation in Toronto. We’ve proven that we can change even the most conservative politician’s vote by going door-to-door and phoning people in their electoral district to move them to action. We talk to people about the bad positions conservative politicians take and the potential for a better way - and then help make it easy for people to take action. At this training, our Organizer, Mosheh Herdsman, will show you how to engage people at the door and on the phone on important issues. You will learn about the best practices for urging people to take action, holding elected officials accountable, and building people-power! Organized by Progress Toronto.

https://www.progresstoronto.ca/fall-training-series-nov-26

_______________________

_______________________

Feminist City

Tuesday Nov. 26, 6 pm

Banting Institute, 100 College Street, Room 131

Who is the city of Toronto built for? How does our city actively re-enforce social inequalities? And, most importantly, how do we revolutionize urban life in the name of social equality and justice? A panel will lead a fiery exploration on how women and marginalized persons of all backgrounds can push back against systemic barriers designed to keep minorities "in their place," and re-imagine a more sustainable, just Toronto that supports all of us.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2212048795566569/

_______________________

_______________________

Beyond Coffee: Cultivating Dignity and Justice in Chiapas

Tuesday, November 26, 7 pm

70 St. Mary Street

The Jesuit Mission of Bachajón has been accompanying the Tseltal-Maya community for over 60 years in their journey to autonomy and transmission of culture to new generations. One of the community's innovative projects is Yomol A’tel, a coffee cooperative that has been instrumental in furthering socio-economic justice and strengthening Indigenous identity. Canadian Jesuits International is pleased to host Fr Arturo Estrada SJ, Director of the Bachajón Jesuit Mission, for a conversation on their work in Chiapas, Mexico.

http://canadianjesuitsinternational.ca

_______________________

_______________________

Mother Earth & Resource Extraction: Women Defending Land and Water

Wed. Nov. 27, 5:30 - 7:30 p.m.

Ryerson University, 350 Victoria Street

KAIROS Canada is pleased to invite you to a public launch of the Mother Earth & Resource Extraction: Women Defending Land and Water Info Hub (also known as MERE Hub). Join us for a conversation with Isabel Zuleta (Colombia) and Natalia Atz Sunuc (Guatemala) moderated by Magdalena Ugarte (Ryerson University). The event will also feature Indigenous singing, drumming and dance.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2683698375031584/

_______________________

_______________________

Waterfront for All Members Meeting

Wed. Nov. 27, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.

Metro Hall, 55 John St.

It's time to look to the future of our waterfront together, to continue to define it as a place to live, work and play. Join partner organization Waterfront for All at their AGM to learn how you can get involved to help shape our waterfront as a clean, green, accessible waterfront for all.

https://www.facebook.com/events/409930819892462/

http://www.waterfrontforall.ca/

_______________________

_______________________

Canada Hong Kong Policy Panel

Wed. Nov. 27, 5 - 7 p.m.

U of T Faculty of Law, Jackman Building, Moot Court Room, J250, 78 Queens Park

An expert panel will discuss the recent developments in Hong Kong, the deteriorating human rights situation, and what it could mean for the future of Canada, Hong Kong, and China relations.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/canada-hong-kong-policy-panel-tickets-82388067929

_______________________

_______________________

Syrus Marcus Ware: Art, Activism, And Futurity

Wed. Nov 27, 7 p.m.

Ryerson School of Image Arts 122 Bond, Room IMA-307, third floor

For two decades, Toronto-based artist and activist Syrus Marcus Ware has explored the themes of justice and climate change through his practice spanning painting, installation, performance, and video. In this talk, Ware discusses his hopes for the future of activism and how artistic practice can help us understand an uncertain world.

https://www.facebook.com/events/817457732046639/

_______________________

_______________________

Music For Climate Justice 4

Thur. Nov. 28, 9 p.m. - midnight

Tranzac Club, 292 Brunswick Ave.

The movement to protect our climate and our communities from the Trans Mountain pipeline and tanker project has incredible momentum. Three Indigenous Nations — Tsleil-Waututh, Squamish and Coldwater — have launched legal challenges that may be our best shot at stopping this project in its tracks. All across the country and around the world, allies are organizing community events, using their online networks to fundraise, and making generous donations — building a people-powered movement in solidarity with powerful Indigenous leaders. A tiny little benefit in celebration of Global Climate Strikes Eve for "Pull together": https://pull-together.ca/

https://www.facebook.com/events/444076426505294/

_______________________

_______________________

Divest for the Holidays: Climate Strike at U of T

Thur. Nov. 28, 2 - 3:30 p.m.

Sidney Smith Hall St George Campus, 100 St. George Street

UofT Leap has been working to get the hard numbers from UofT admin: how much of our tuition is invested in the fossil fuel industry?  How much of our institution's endowment is being directed to corporations actively working to make that livable future impossible?We've submitted a Freedom of Information Request, but we know they won't give up that information easily. That's why we need YOU to help us bring the global climate strike to UofT. We'll have hot chocolate and other festive snacks, and everyone who comes will have the chance to participate in a collective, visible art project - you might say, holiday decorations! - that we'll leave for the admin to see.

https://www.facebook.com/events/551447219012132/

_______________________

_______________________

Global Strike for Climate Justice

Fri. Nov. 29, 11:30 a.m., march at noon

Queens Park, Toronto

In the wake of the federal elections, it is crucial for us to hold our newly elected officials accountable to their electoral promises, and to push all levels of government to be more ambitious in their climate action. Strike, take the streets and mobilize to continue putting pressure on our governments.

https://www.facebook.com/events/584814918589123/

Organized by Fridays for Future Toronto https://fridaysforfutureto.wixsite.com/fridaysforfutureto

_______________________

_______________________

Indigenous Artisan Marketplace

Fri. Nov 29 - Sun. Dec. 1

Native Canadian Centre 16 Spadina Rd (north of Bloor)

More than 50 local vendors offering 100-per-cent authentic, handmade Indigenous arts and crafts, including moccasins, paintings, bead work, dream catchers, clothing, jewellery, food and more.

http://www.facebook.com/events/2415733272016778

_______________________

_______________________

Decolonizing the Heart Workshops

Nov 30 / Dec 7th (All 9:30 - 5 p.m.)

Jan 25 / Feb 1

Feb 15 / Feb 22

Toronto United Mennonite Church, 1774 Queen Street East

Come together for Deep Learning and Deep Change. Reconciliation requires building relationships. Building relationships requires more than coming together over issues. Where do we begin?

Day 1 provides the foundation - a grounding in our own stories, the theory, and an introduction to the Decolonizing the Heart (DTH) Toolkit.

Day 2 focuses on putting the theory and new skills into practice with DTH original scenarios.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/o/decolonizing-the-heart-workshops-19977084519

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, read and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

https://socialinnovation.org/community/events/

_______________________

_______________________

Toronto Public Libraries host Our fragile Planet, free environmental and community events

https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/search.jsp?N=4288100025&Ns=p_pub_date_sort&Nso=0

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

---