No Nukes News: Death Knell for Nuclear

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Fri Feb 7 14:14:23 EST 2020

View this email in your browser

Share
Tweet

 ☢ It’s time Ontario said no to nuclear Why do we continue to operate six close-to-50-year-old reactors in an area surrounded by millions of people? Op Ed by Angela Bischoff, Ontario Clean Air Alliance

The World

☢ The Death Knell for Nuclear and the End of Cameco Water power is the cheapest form of renewable energy generation with an estimated average cost of a around a third of nuclear power. Importantly, not only does hydro lack the negative externalities associated with nuclear, including the disposal of highly toxic waste and used reactor components, it can provide a reliable source of steady baseline power.

☢ Fukushima and the 2020 Olympics What does it mean to host the Olympics and Paralympics in the context of an ongoing nuclear disaster, the effects of which are still being felt by tens of thousands of Japanese citizens? A Greenpeace report.

☢ Saugeen Nation Sends OPG Back to Square One, Voting 86% Against Nuclear Waste Site The Saugeen Ojibway Nation (SON) has voted against Ontario Power Generation’s Deep Geological Disposal (DGR) project, planned to house all of Ontario’s Low and Intermediate Level Waste (LILW) at a site within a mile of the northwestern shore of Lake Huron. Read more background and context here.

Ontario
☢ It’s unanimous – Pickering Nuclear should be immediately dismantled Good news for Pickering residents! Pickering City Council unanimously supported a resolution calling for the Pickering Nuclear Station to be dismantled as “expeditiously as possible” after it is shut down in 2024.

☢ Pickering council wants nuclear station dismantled as soon as possible "I’m opposed to a plant around millions of people. It’s a stain on our community and it should be dismantled as soon as possible… We’ve suffered enough already.”

☢ OPG needs to respect request of Pickering City Council OPG did the right thing by respecting the Saugeen Ojibway Nation's veto of the nuclear waste dump on their territory. OPG must likewise respect Pickering City Council's request to immediately dismantle the nuclear station after shutdown in 2024.

☢ $5.6 billion can buy a lot of heath care, classroom support and transit $5.6 billion this year – that's how much the Ford gov't says it'll subsidize our electricity rates. It's time for us to start talking about the elephant in the room – the high cost of bloated nuclear projects.

Renewables and Conservation
☼ ‘Politics of Hope’ on Climate Could Also Turn the Tide Against Ultra-Right Progressive forces can drive down greenhouse gas emissions, create jobs, revive public faith in the possibility of a better world, and halt the rise of the ultra-right, all by zeroing in on self-styled populists’ utter failure to respond credibly to the climate crisis and contrasting that gap with the potential for a global Green New Deal.

Take Action
☢ Emergency alert – Province plans to keep old Pickering Plant running Rather than waiting for the next emergency alert, let’s give Pickering-Uxbridge MPP Bethlenfalvy a wake-up call and tell him it is time to shut this old and dangerous plant down. Sign the petition here, call him at 905-509-0336 and email him at peter.bethlenfalvy at pc.ola.org

☢ Stop the giant Hamilton gas pipeline - sign the petition Say no to the proposed Hamilton Pipeline and fracked gas imports from the U.S. and read the 2-page factsheet here.

☢ Ontario's Best Power Options with Jack Gibbons, Chair of Ontario Clean Air Alliance. Thur. Feb. 13, 7 – 9 p.m. Central Library, Hamilton, ON. Enbridge Gas wants to build a giant pipeline through Hamilton to allow Ontario to increase imports of fracked gas from the US. This will mean a huge increase in greenhouse gases from OPG's gas-fired generating plants. Fortunately, we have alternatives. Hosted by 350.org and Environment Hamilton.

☢ OPG & Enbridge vs. Our Climate and our Pocketbooks with Jack Gibbons. Mon. Feb. 24, 7 p.m. Friends House, 60 Lowther , Toronto. Hosted by the Ontario Clean Air Alliance.

☢ Order your FREE leaflets here calling on the Ford Government to Cut the Cuts and invest in water power from Quebec rather than rebuilding 10 nuclear reactors and increase natural gas use, and immediately dismantle Pickering after shutdown in 2024.

Forward this email
make a donation
view this email in your browser

Copyright © 2020 Ontario Clean Air Alliance, All rights reserved.
You are subscribed to the No Nuke News list published by the Ontario Clean Air Alliance.

Our mailing address is:Ontario Clean Air Alliance160 John St, #300
Toronto, On M5V 2E5 Canada

Add us to your address book