No Nukes News: Fukushima - we remember

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Wed Mar 11 16:43:01 EDT 2020

View this email in your browser

Share
Tweet

The World
 ☢ Japan’s Nuclear Cover-up Continues, Nine Years after the Fukushima Disaster On the 9th anniversary of the triple meltdowns at Fukushima, Fairewinds explores how the government of Japan, TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Co), the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), and the worldwide nuclear industries have perpetuated their coverup of the tragedy.

☢ Voices From Japan 2020 - Fukushima Anniversary Special This 1-hour Nuclear Hotseat podcast interviews several reporters living in Japan, providing context, continuity, and insights to what exactly is happening on the ground in Fukushima with regards to the evacuees, radiation along the Olympic torch relay, and challenges faced by Japanese media.

☢ Joint Declaration between the Anishinabek Nation and the Iroquois Caucus on the Transport and Abandonment of Radioactive Waste We draw on sacred law, traditional law, customary laws – we need to protect the lands, waters and all living things for future generations. The five starting points that we have all agreed on are: 1. No abandonment 2. Better containment, more packaging 3. Monitored and retrievable storage 4. Away from Major Water Bodies 5. No imports or exports

☢ AECL to get more than unprecedented $1.25B in federal funding Then PM Harper gutted AECL. PM Justin Trudeau re-established it to well over a billion/year to support small modular nuclear reactors, decommissioning of old reactors, and nuke waste burial. Think of all the renewable energy that could pay for!

☢ Opposition builds in South-Bruce to NWMO’s Nuclear waste dump A decision to bury Canada’s nuclear waste in South Bruce or Ignace is expected by 2023.

Ontario
☢ Nuclear power in Ontario is not worth the risk of a catastrophic accident or the high cost - we have safer, lower cost, renewable alternatives Op Ed in the Toronto Star by me, Angela Bischoff vs. a nukeboy. Please vote!

☢ Stop the Hamilton gas pipeline The Ford Government plans to ramp up the greenhouse gas pollution from Ontario's gas-fired power plants by more than 300% by 2025. Read our 2-page report on why we need to stop the Hamilton gas pipeline. And sign the petition to phase-out Ontario's gas plants

☢ BWXT: 12 Things Toronto’s Medical Officer of Health, Your Local Politicians & the Media Are Not Telling You & Why We Cannot Trust the CNSC A blog mostly about the uranium pelleting plant in central Toronto (Lansdowne and Dupont) but also about Canada’s nuclear regulator, the CNSC
☢ At BWXT hearings, residents say they want nuclear fuel plant gone from Davenport — ‘or anywhere in Toronto’ This central Toronto plant makes fuel for Ontario nuclear reactors. A group of Davenport neighbours wants it gone. Find out more here and here.

Renewables and Conservation
☼ Wind Energy Leads Germany To Renewable Energy Record In February 61.2% was generated from renewable electricity sources. Wind turbines were by far the largest contributor at 45.8%, of the country’s electricity, showing a downward trend of coal.

☼ Renewables generated more electricity than coal in February The unthinkable occurred in the U.S. last month: In the dead of winter, renewable energy (utility-scale solar, wind and hydropower) generated more electricity than did coal plants. This has never happened before.

Take Action and Events
☢ Doug Ford, OPG & Enbridge vs. Our Climate Thur. March 12, 7 p.m. Friends House, 60 Lowther, Toronto. The Ford Government plans to ramp up the greenhouse gas pollution from Ontario's gas-fired power plants by more than 300% by 2025. Find out how this will harm our climate and out pocketbooks and what you can do to stop it at our public forum. Event will be livestreamed and archived here.

☢ Order your FREE leaflets here calling on the Ford Government to Cut the Cuts and invest in water power from Quebec rather than rebuilding 10 nuclear reactors, and immediately dismantle Pickering after shutdown in 2024.

Forward this email
make a donation
view this email in your browser

Copyright © 2020 Ontario Clean Air Alliance, All rights reserved.
You are subscribed to the No Nuke News list published by the Ontario Clean Air Alliance.

Our mailing address is:Ontario Clean Air Alliance160 John St, #300
Toronto, On M5V 2E5 Canada

Add us to your address book