Greenspiration News and Events: covid and climate

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Tue Apr 14 00:48:38 EDT 2020

_______________________

Coronavirus, Climate and What Next?

Brilliant 80 min. video. Chris Hedges speaks to covid, capitalism and the climate crisis, and addresses our responsibility to create a humane outcome rather than the default of fascism which we are heading towards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FfkKkmCSu4

The climate and coronavirus stories don’t just intersect—they share deep structural similarities. Both are about injustice...

The all-consuming coronavirus story is burying all sorts of bad news, and bad news about the climate crisis is no exception. Research published last Monday described a recent heatwave in Antarctica as “unprecedented in the observed record.” Last Tuesday, the Trump administration moved to roll back automobile fuel-efficiency standards—a move that the Times described as “gutting the federal government’s most important climate change policy” and the administration cast as its “single largest deregulatory initiative.” The Environmental Protection Agency is allowing prolific polluters to self-regulate for a to-be-determined period, single-use plastic use is having a moment, and several states have new laws criminalizing protests against fossil-fuel infrastructure, all under the cover of the virus.

https://www.cjr.org/the_media_today/coronavirus_climate_crisis.php

Coronavirus being used as a way to silent dissent across the globe

Soldiers patrol the streets with their fingers on machine gun triggers. And Serbia’s president warns residents that Belgrade’s graveyards won’t be big enough to bury the dead if people ignore his government’s lockdown orders. Since the President announced an open-ended state of emergency on March 15, parliament has been sidelined, borders shut, a 12-hour police-enforced curfew imposed and people over 65 banned from leaving their homes. In ex-communist Eastern Europe and elsewhere, populist leaders are introducing harsh measures including uncontrolled cellphone surveillance of their citizens and lengthy jail sentences for those who flout lockdown decrees. In Hungary, parliament passed a law giving government the right to rule by decree for as long as a state of emergency is in effect. The law also sets prison terms of up to five years for those convicted of spreading false information about the pandemic and up to eight years for those interfering with efforts to contain the spread of the coronavirus, like a curfew or quarantine.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/31/coronavirus-being-used-as-a-way-to-silent-dissent-across-the-globe/

The Trudeau Government Defers to Experts on COVID-19. Why Not Climate Change?

How can a government that so quickly defers to scientists on COVID-19 at the same time ignore the clear recommendations of scientists when it comes to the very real threat of climate change?

https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2020/04/10/The-Trudeau-Government-Defers-To-Experts-on-COVID-19/

How wildlife trade is linked to coronavirus

9 min. video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPpoJGYlW54

Human Incursion into Wild Spaces Make Pandemics More Likely

“Wild animals have always had viruses coursing through their bodies,” the paper explains. What has changed, thanks to “a global wildlife trade worth billions of dollars, agricultural intensification, deforestation, and urbanization,” is our proximity to wild creatures, and, therefore, to the pathogens they may carry. Imperative to reducing the risk of future virus transfers, say many experts, is the immediate and permanent closure of the kind of “wet market” that has been linked to the original COVID-19 outbreak in Wuhan, China.

https://theenergymix.com/2020/04/12/human-incursion-into-wild-spaces-make-pandemics-more-likely/

Pope Francis says the pandemic exposes the hypocrisy around environmental concerns

The climate crisis had been forgotten in the focus on the pandemic, said Pope Francis. “Who now speaks of the fires in Australia, or remembers that 18 months ago a boat could cross the North Pole because the glaciers had all melted? Who speaks now of the floods? I don’t know if these are the revenge of nature, but they are certainly nature’s responses... Today I believe we have to slow down our rate of production and consumption and to learn to understand and contemplate the natural world. We need to reconnect with our real surroundings…"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/08/pope-salutes-saints-next-door-fight-against-coronavirus-hyprocrisy

Imagine facing this pandemic in the dark. Let’s spare rural Zambia and Malawi that fate.

Most health clinics are operating in the dark and have no access to lighting. SolarAid is providing free solar products for health professionals, and power to charge mobile phones for essential ongoing communication about the spread of the virus. Learn more and contribute here:

https://jeremyleggett.net/2020/04/10/imagine-facing-this-pandemic-in-the-dark-thats-what-much-of-rural-zambia-and-malawi-will-have-to-do-and-we-can-do-something-about-it/

https://solar-aid.org/moment-of-sunshine-appeal/

Cities Close Streets to Cars, Opening Space for Social Distancing

Boston, Minneapolis, Oakland and other cities have temporarily banned through traffic on streets, giving pedestrians and cyclists extra elbow room during the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/us/coronavirus-street-closures.html

_______________________

_______________________

Ontario suspends Environmental Bill of Rights citing covid-19

Last week the Ontario government announced a temporary suspension of environmental oversight regulations under the Environmental Bill of Rights (EBR), citing their emergency response and the need to approve related projects quickly. This change allows the government to push forward projects or laws that could significantly damage the environment without consulting or notifying the public.

https://www.wildernesscommittee.org/take-action/ontario-suspends-environmental-bill-rights-citing-covid-19

Ontario Exempts Itself from Public Participation Law

Citing the unprecedented nature of the Covid-19 pandemic, the Ontario government recently passed a regulation that temporarily exempts governmental proposals from having to comply with Part II of the Environmental Bill of Rights (EBR). Overview from the Canadian Environmental Law Association.

https://cela.ca/ebr-covid-19-update/

_______________________

_______________________

Covid-19 Community Response Networks

In response to COVID-19, many grassroots groups have emerged with the shared goal of organizing to ensure vulnerable community members have access to food, housing, healthcare, and other necessities. They’re also redistributing resources in case stockpiling prevents people from accessing basics. Scroll down to the Toronto section:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LsHkTBMS0YX_4F7OSAt55ppV0xICi50AXdF62vRw4W8/edit#heading=h.qidhv8fp91da

Statement from No One is Illegal-Toronto on Covid-19

Our immediate demands:

1. End the policing of asylum seekers at the border and ensure status on arrival

2. Invest public funds in public health, housing, and jobs for all, regardless of status

3. Release all detainees

4. Halt deportations and Status for All

Capitalism is the crisis. Our collective voices must be louder than ever as we emerge from physical isolation and take back the streets. They have always been ours.

https://toronto.nooneisillegal.org/node/1033

Resources during COVID-19 closure

- Mental Health Resources

- Community Care Resources

- Artists & Art Workers Resources

- Things to do while you’re Social Distancing or in Self Quarantine

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gl-2HkTyviT14yNU7O06d5sqjmulRov2WSIaaPRFSEk/edit

Fantastic links embedded in this newsletter - for your mental health, for kids and parents, financial supports, food, to donate, to volunteer and more

https://mailchi.mp/201c5a0d17bf/clinic-update-resources-for-your-well-being-1245073

Local food production is essential

Sign the open letter on the Sustain Ontario website, calling on the Ford Government to declare Community Gardens Essential Food Services.

https://sustainontario.com/2020/03/31/community-gardens-essential-food-service/

Also sign the Green Party of ON's petition

https://secure.gpo.ca/content/protect-local-food

The time for basic income is now: An overhaul to Canada’s social net is long overdue

https://www.thespec.com/opinion/contributors/2020/04/07/the-time-for-basic-income-is-now-an-overhaul-to-canadas-social-net-is-long-overdue.html

_______________________

_______________________

Stop all Construction on Coastal GasLink, Site C and Trans Mountain: risk of COVID 19

While people are warned to remain at home and take precautions due to COVID 19, the oil and gas industry is continuing work along pipeline routes, and industry is pushing forward with mega-projects across Canada. Send your letter here to call on Justin Trudeau, Adrian Dix, and John Horgan to stop this public health crisis from man camps and demand they stop the work putting communities at risk.

https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/stop-all-construction-on-coastal-gaslink-site-c-and-trans-mountain-risk-of-covid-19

#SavePeopleNotPlanes: Red Lines for Aviation Bail-outs

The aviation industry is demanding huge and unconditional taxpayer-backed bailouts. This must not allow the aviation sector to return to business as usual after Covid-19 has been defeated: any public money has to ensure that workers and the climate are put first. We demand: People First - A Just Transition: Towards Climate-Safe Mobility - No Taxes? No Bailouts!

https://www.change.org/p/open-letter-to-the-respective-national-governments-savepeoplenotplanes-red-lines-for-aviation-bail-outs-0b973f54-199b-4c74-8a7a-785be6234036

The head of the UN just called for an immediate global ceasefire

"It is time to put armed conflict on lockdown and focus together on the true fight of our lives." And on Easter Sunday, the Pope called for a global ceasefire. Amen to that! Sign the petition in support.

https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/global_ceasefire_121/

On the other hand, Canada calls for global ceasefire, while arming Saudi Arabia in their military campaign against Yemen

https://www.thecanadafiles.com/the-middle-east/can

_______________________

_______________________

Take a virtual tour through Toronto galleries and museums

https://nowtoronto.com/culture/art-and-design/online-tour-galleries-museums-toronto/

_______________________

_______________________

The 7 Grandfathers Teachings

Many Aboriginal organizations and communities have adopted the 7 guiding principles, in one form or another, as a moral steppingstone and cultural foundation. They are: humility, bravery, honesty, wisdom, truth, respect, love.

https://unitingthreefiresagainstviolence.org/services/the-seven-grandfather-teachings/#

_______________________

_______________________

We are Unfrackable

The narrative peddled by government and industry is that LNG (Liquid natural gas) is “ethical”, “environmental”, and “economic”. This video brings together frontline activists to debunk that myth, while connecting the dots of resistance from coast to coast to coast. With Wet’suwet’en Hereditary Chief Adam Gagnon and Mike Sawyer, COGC

https://vimeo.com/404822096

Stop the giant Hamilton fracked gas pipeline - sign the petition

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/stop-gas-pipeline/

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

_______________________

_______________________

War Abolition 201: Building the Alternative Global Security System

April 13 to May 24

Online Course

With what do we replace the war system (aka the military-industrial-corporate-governmental complex)? What truly makes us secure? What are the moral, social, political, philosophical and pragmatic foundations of an alternative global security system – a system in which peace is pursued by peaceful means? What actions and strategies might we pursue in building this system? War Abolition 201 explores these questions and more with the goal of engaging students in learning that leads to action.

https://actionnetwork.org/fundraising/war-abolition-201-building-the-alternative-global-security-system

_______________________

_______________________

Dealing with Digital Burnout

Tuesday April 14, 5:30 - 7:30 pm EST

COVID-19 has inevitably introduced new challenges and adjustments to our work, whether we're working remotely, looking for work, or working longer hours. During this workshop, learn and apply practical tools and strategies for managing your energy and time during this time and beyond, including frameworks to recognize high stress and build healthy habits.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/webinar-dealing-with-digital-burnout-tickets-101680653572

_______________________

_______________________

Choice Words: Writers on Abortion

Tues. April 14, 4 - 5:30 p.m. EST

Join us for the launch of Choice Words: Writers on Abortion, a landmark literary collection of essays, poems, and prose that are a testament to the profound political power of defying shame. Haymarket Books convenes a panel of contributors from this powerful volume for a conversation on the personal-political fight for abortion rights.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/choice-words-writers-on-abortion-tickets-102028040616

_______________________

_______________________

The People vs. Climate Inaction

Tues. April 14, 7 p.m. EST

We are excited to be hosting a conversation about the promise of pursuing climate justice through the courts. Focused on the Wet’suwet’en charter challenge, we’ll hear from lawyer Richard Overstall about what the goals and needs are for Indigenous legal cases aimed at holding Canada accountable to climate commitments. We’ll also meet Kieran Oommen, of Our Children’s Trust, who is part of a group of youth who are suing the US federal government over climate inaction.

https://raventrust.com/we-are-unfrackable-webinar-series/

_______________________

_______________________

Set the Night on Fire

Tues. April 14, 5 - 6 p.m. EST

Please join us for the virtual book launch of Mike Davis and Jon Wiener’s new book, Set the Night on Fire: L.A. in the Sixties.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mike-davis-jon-wiener-and-tom-lutz-on-1960s-la-tickets-102285079426

_______________________

_______________________

Indigenous Women on Covid-19 & Fossil Fuel Resistance

Tues. April 14, 4 - 5:30 p.m. EST

During the webinar, Indigenous women leaders will discuss how COVID-19 is impacting their communities and how oil and gas pipelines are being fast-tracked in their lands at this time of crisis— violating Indigenous Rights and further putting Indigenous women at risk. In this wide-ranging discussion, presenters will share calls to action, stories and wisdom, immediate needs of their communities, community-care practices, and the latest updates from various campaigns and resistance movements, focusing on Keystone XL, Line 3 and Coastal GasLink pipelines, and tar sands extraction.

Register: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/u5wucu-sqj8r7_U3J2jRldrG8RqY2vNmLA

https://www.facebook.com/events/2366416060315756/

_______________________

_______________________

rabble.ca takes on Ottawa: what is next in the Covid-19 crisis

Wed. Apr. 15, 7:30 p.m. EST

The next episode in the "rabble takes on Ottawa" webinar series will look at pressing issues around the COVID-19 pandemic -- for workers, for marginalized communities and consider the question of what the crisis means for addressing inequality and climate justice. Join parliamentary reporter Karl Nerenberg; former NDP deputy leader and author of Outside In: A Political Memoir, Libby Davies; and special guests Winnipeg Centre MP Leah Gazan, and CCPA senior economist David Macdonald, for this exclusive online discussion.

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_qqIeM6NyRxGhYA9wAQ1U-g

_______________________

_______________________

Corporations: A Nuanced History

Thur. April 16, 6 - 7 p.m. EST

Learn about what it means to be a corporation, where corporations came from, and explore where corporations may be going. We will review a legal and social history of corporations from their beginning in ancient Rome up to the modern day, where we're starting to see the development of things like benefit corporations and B Corps.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/corporations-a-nuanced-history-tickets-102213675856

_______________________

_______________________

Covid-19, Decarceration and Abolition

Thursday, April 16, 5 - 6:30 p.m. EST

How should abolitionists respond to the coronavirus pandemic? How can we achieve urgently needed decarceration for the millions of people caged in jails, prisons, and immigration detention centers? Hosted by Haymarket Books, an independent, radical, non-profit publisher.

https://bit.ly/2UJ7jzR

_______________________

_______________________

Covid-19 and Climate Change with David Suzuki

Thur. April 16, 10:30 p.m. EST

Join us on Zoom for a lively conversation David Suzuki and Linda Solomon Wood.

RSVP in subject line to Janel at info at nationalobserver.com. Janel will send you the link to join the Zoom Event.

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, read and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

---