Greenspiration Events: Think Resilience

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Apr 27 00:24:33 EDT 2020

Sense of Wonder - beautiful 6 min. chorale piece with text from Rachel Carson

https://www.capitolhillchorale.org/news/chc-celebrates-earth-day-with-the-sense-of-wonder

_______________________

World

_______________________

For Oil and Its Dependents, It’s Code Blue

The great price collapse of 2020 will topple companies and transform states. By Andrew Nikiforuk

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2020/04/18/Code-Blue-for-Oil/

Think Resilience

Think Resilience is an online course to help you start doing something about climate change and our other sustainability challenges—starting in your own community. It features twenty-two short video lectures by Richard Heinberg, an expert on transitioning society away from fossil fuels. It is being offered free during the covid lockdown.

https://education.resilience.org/

The global pandemic has spawned new forms of activism – and they’re flourishing

We’ve identified nearly 100 distinct methods of non-violent action that include physical, virtual and hybrid actions. Movements around the world are adapting to remote organizing, building their bases, sharpening their messaging, and planning strategies for what comes next.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/20/the-global-pandemic-has-spawned-new-forms-of-activism-and-theyre-flourishing

Divest from the War Machine: Webinar Series

Free webinar series hosted by CODEPINK + World BEYOND War about organizing to divest universities, cities & institutions from weapons & war.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/divest-from-the-war-machine-webinar-series-registration-102039713530

Coronavirus detected on particles of air pollution

"Coronavirus has been detected on particles of air pollution by scientists investigating whether this could enable it to be carried over longer distances and increase the number of people infected." If this turns out to be true, it will be a powerful argument for accelerating the transition off fossil fuels, which are the #1 source of air pollution.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/24/coronavirus-detected-particles-air-pollution

America's Wet Markets

In this 5 min. video, Bill Maher contends that humans can’t trash the environment – including animals – and not have it come back and kill them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OoT2OZWCOI&feature=youtu.be

Planet of the humans: A reheated mess of lazy, old myths

Not only is the documentary bad, it’s old bad.

https://ketanjoshi.co/2020/04/24/planet-of-the-humans-a-reheated-mess-of-lazy-old-myths/amp/

And reckless.

https://www.filmsforaction.org/articles/skepticism-is-healthy-but-planet-of-the-humans-is-toxic/

Planning your first edible garden? Here are the steps to follow and common mistakes to avoid

https://www.cbc.ca/life/home/planning-your-first-edible-garden-here-are-the-steps-to-follow-and-common-mistakes-to-avoid-1.5532253

_______________________

Canada

_______________________

>From pipe dream to prospect: the pandemic is making a case for a universal basic income

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/universal-basic-income-covid-coronavirus-pandemic-1.5536144

Renters need urgent support in the face of the COVID-19 crisis

Due to the COVID-19 crisis, only 75% of rental households in Canada were able to pay their full rent in April, and 15% of households were unable to pay rent at all. Tenants are facing illegal eviction, harassment and intimidation from predatory landlords. We need a provincial government that will stand up for tenants by waiving rent payments during the COVID-19 crisis. Petition.

https://www.torontotenants.org/covid_letter_april_2020

Urgent resources for COVID-19 in Indigenous Communities

https://www.change.org/p/prime-minister-trudeau-more-resources-for-covid-19-for-indigenous-communities-urgently-needed

Canada: Recognize Cuba’s remarkable response to Covid-19

https://you.leadnow.ca/petitions/canada-recognize-cuba-s-remarkable-response-to-covid-19

No bailout money for companies using offshore tax havens

In countries like Denmark and Poland, the government is refusing to aid companies registered in offshore tax havens. The Canadian government must follow suit and deny financial aid to tax-avoiding corporation until they pay back every cent they owe. Sign the petition.

https://north99.org/no-bailout-for-companies-using-offshore-tax-havens/

Halt all funding to Trans Mountain Pipeline in the midst of a global health crisis.

https://www.leadnow.ca/pm-trudeau-save-lives-not-pipelines/

The most important thing you can do to fight climate change: talk about it - with Katharine Hayhoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BvcToPZCLI

Ban Handguns and Assault Weapons in Canada - petition

https://north99.org/campaign-election-ban-handguns-2/

Recent video conversations with:

Noam Chomsky: https://youtu.be/zi6ae6kZNqE

Tzeporah Berman: https://youtu.be/llM5wmZjJU4

David Suzuki:  https://youtu.be/OaFnZ2rt1hw

_______________________

Ontario

_______________________

My Happy Earth Day message to Ontarians - 2 min. video by moi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bkDAjO3Uzo&t=1s

Ontario suspends environmental oversight rules, citing COVID-19

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2020/04/08/news/ontario-suspends-environmental-oversight-rules-citing-covid-19

Letter to the Province: COVID and EBR (Environmental Bill of Rights) Exemption - signed by 47 environmental, justice and indigenous organizations in Ontario

https://cela.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/EBRExemptionLetter2020.pdf

Community Gardens Are Opened in Ontario!

The Ontario Government it is amending an emergency order to help ensure food security during the pandemic, which will permit the use of allotment gardens and community gardens across the province. Yay!

https://justfood.ca/blog/2020/04/25/breaking-news-community-gardens-are-open-in-ontario/

Sign my petition to phase-out gas plants in Ontario and replace them with conservation, water power from Quebec and made-in-ON renewable power

www.OntarioClimateAction.ca

Phasing Out Ontario's Gas-Fired Power Plants - 25 min. with Jack Gibbons of the Ontario Clean Air Alliance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb0mSgQ8P5M

_______________________

Toronto

_______________________

Homeless During COVID-19: What’s Really Happening on TO Streets

1 hour recorded panel - #NoHomeTO

https://www.facebook.com/Veahavta/videos/534235450572379/

Petition to Support Emergency Funding to #KeepTransitMoving!

https://www.keeptransitmoving.ca/take-action

_______________________

Events

_______________________

Amnesty International Town Hall

Mon. Apr. 27, 7 p.m. EST

Join Secretary General Alex Neve, Indigenous Rights Campaign Advisor Ana Nicole Collins, and Human Rights Law and Policy Campaigner Justin Mohammed for a town hall on COVID-19 and human rights.

https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEkc-ispzwuGteqB6TCaTNm8RSx--XuRbNl

_______________________

_______________________

The Next Step: Toronto's City Building Summit

Monday, April 27, 12:30 pm - 4:30 pm EST

Join leading city-builders as they share and build strategies to make cities better spaces for all. The event will include workshops, panels and discussions

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-next-step-2020-registration-95409800281

_______________________

_______________________

Crafting Your Narrative: Creating a Story of Self

Tuesday April 28, 12:30 - 3:30 pm EST

During this session, participants will be guided through an inspiring Story of Self activity, where they will reflect on their personal experiences and learn to communicate their values through a compelling narrative.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/webinar-crafting-your-narrative-creating-a-story-of-self-tickets-101730011202

_______________________

_______________________

Coast to Coast, We are UnFrackable

Tues. April 28, 7 p.m. EST

In this third session of a webinar series, we’ll be hearing from amazing activists and Indigenous leaders in the Maritimes, learning how public engagement, legal action and other strategies combined have pushed back against fracked gas. Sign up for the webinar and listen to the first and second in the series at this same link.

https://raventrust.com/we-are-unfrackable-webinar-series/

_______________________

_______________________

Emergency Food Forum: Organizing Pandemic and Climate Resilience in Ontario

Tues. April 28, 7 - 9 pm EST - Solutions Panel

We are inviting you to bring your experience and insights to this urgent forum to collaborate in creating the regional food system we need & want.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSchanPC9dvuMlE_AtSVU2K4WfooBa4JdQxo-6jFbgaz8Ug-IA/viewform

_______________________

_______________________

Webinar on media violence

Wed. April 29, 2 p.m. EST

This webinar, with Rose Dyson, will focus on the growing crisis involving the exploitation of children, accelerated during the current pandemic when so many are now online. Dr. Dyson will talk about her upcoming book MIND ABUSE Media Violence and Its Threat to Democracy. Her research is on the harmful impact of violent, first person shooter video games that are usually involved in massacres such as the one that occurred last weekend in N.S. The sequence of that unfolding tragedy resonates very closely with the narrative in the GRAND THEFT AUTO VIDEO GAME SERIES (1,2,3,4,5). It is regarded as the most popular in the world.

https://us04web.zoom.us/j/3027855255?pwd=TWpGL3QrSUxhSENqUkNDNGp1MWdZUT09

_______________________

_______________________

Warheads to Windmills: The Nuclear Ban Treaty and the Green New Deal

Wed. April 29, 7 p.m. EST

WARHEADS TO WINDMILLS an exciting new initiative detailing how we can pay for a Green New Deal. Timmon Wallis, founder of NuclearBan.US identifies the three major crises threatening the planet today – the climate emergency, expanding nuclear arsenals, and extreme inequity – and proposes one solution: redirect funds and technology for nukes to the development of green energy and green jobs.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_PwFdPYogQrWKQgjS2UlNMw

_______________________

_______________________

The New Battle in Single-Use Plastics

Thur. April 30, noon EST

The plastic industry is using this pandemic to promote a pro-plastic agenda, but now more than ever, Canada needs to go all-in on the Circular Economy. Clarissa Morawski, CEO of Reloop will be joining us to discuss the European Union’s (E.U.’s) Single-Use Plastics Directive, and what Canada can learn from other countries when it comes to ending plastic waste.

https://act.environmentaldefence.ca/page/59739/petition/1

_______________________

_______________________

Mental Health and Covid-19

Thur. April 30, 8 a.m. EST

Join the Better Toronto Coalition to talk about mental health and COVID-19. We’ll hear from an expert panel of nonprofit leaders.

https://torontofoundation.ca/better-toronto-coalition/

_______________________

_______________________

May Day - Online Rally

Fri. May 1, 5 - 7 p.m. EST

Rally for full compensation and comprehensive PPE for all workers. Join us for a panel of speakers from labour, activist, and leftist groups. Supporters taking part from all over Canada. Workers are being made to pay the cost of the Covid-19 crisis. Fight to make the bosses pay.

https://www.facebook.com/events/online-zoom-meeting-room-facebook-livestream/may-day-online-rally-2020/198691281310854/

https://tinyurl.com/y7u7s8hs

_______________________

_______________________

System in Crisis: A Working-Class Vision for the Future

Fri. May 1, 5 - 6:30 p.m. EST

Celebrate May Day with a discussion from leading labor voices about how we can build a radical working class response to the current crisis.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/system-in-crisis-a-working-class-vision-for-the-future-tickets-102440131190

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, read and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

And for the best global perspective: DESMOG - Clearing the PR Pollution that clouds climate science

https://www.desmogblog.com/topics/covering-climate-now

Centre for Social Innovation Events

https://socialinnovation.org/community/events/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing for Toronto

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

---