No Nukes News: Risk of the Pandemic

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Wed May 13 10:54:54 EDT 2020

View this email in your browser

Share
Tweet

The World
☢ The Hidden Nuclear Risk of the Pandemic The coronavirus crisis highlights the resilience problem of civilian nuclear power plants.

☢ Proposed nuclear projects in New Brunswick would revive dangerous “plutonium economy” Two SMNR (small modular nuclear reactors) entrepreneurs in New Brunswick - with provincial and federal gov't support - are trying to revitalize the “plutonium economy” — a nuclear industry dream that had been laid to rest because of past failures. Besides being extremely dangerous, expensive, and can lead to weapons proliferation, neither uranium nor plutonium-fuelled reactors can compete with the alternatives such as wind, solar or water power.

☢ A dirty battle for a nuclear bailout in Ohio Five US states are offering hundreds of $millions in subsidies to keep uneconomic nuclear plants running. By diverting much-needed resources and investment away from renewables and related technologies, these subsidies undermine efforts to decarbonize the electricity sector.

☢  The black boxes of nuclear waste strategy There appears to be no safe, sustainable or cost-effective solution for managing nuclear waste once it's been generated.

☢ Critics alarmed by US nuclear agency's bid to relax rules on radioactive waste "This would be the most massive deregulation of radioactive waste in American history... If you dump radioactive waste in places that aren’t designed to deal with it, it comes back to haunt you. It’s in the air you breathe, the food that you eat, the water you drink.”

☢ Families, towns, communities destroyed by the Fukushima nuclear triple meltdown 7 min. video testimonial.

Ontario
☢ Ford Government Pays $2.8 Billion for 3 Fossil Power Plants There are far better ways to keep our lights on, starting with maximizing our energy efficiency efforts, making a deal with Quebec for low-cost water power and developing cost-effective renewable energy projects right here in Ontario. Read more and send a message to Doug Ford here

☢ Ontario's purchase of natural gas plants for $2.8 B will cost ratepayers and the environment Ramping up gas plants could erase a third of the emissions cuts Ontario achieved when it phased out coal. It would also make it nearly impossible for Ontario to achieve its climate goals. “This is a very bad investment, both from an economic perspective and climate perspective. It’s a waste of $2.8 billion.”

☢ Gas firms 'have had far worse climate impact than thought' Study indicates fossil methane emissions have been underestimated by up to 40%. Methane has a GHG effect that is about 80x more potent than CO2 over a 20-yr period and is responsible for at least 25% of global heating.

☢ An Ontario Recovery Plan: Energy, Electricity and Climate Change Recommendation #2: Conduct comprehensive review of electricity options available to Ontario, including renewables, distributed energy resources (DERs), Quebec hydro imports and energy efficiency, before proceeding with further nuclear refurbishments.

☢ Construction halted on low-level radioactive waste cleanup project in Port Hope “We were about to hit a major milestone with the dredging of thousands of tons of contaminated sediment from Port Hope’s harbour. We are also testing 5,000 properties for the presence or absence of low-level radioactive waste.”

Renewables and Conservation
☼ Energy Retrofits Can Drive Economic Recovery, But Financing and Logistics Are Key, Torrie Says The homeowner needs to be relieved of the risk and the up-front cost and logistics of the project. The retrofits must be deep enough to get an overall improvement of 50% in the thermal efficiency of buildings.

☼ Fossils Expect Permanent Losses, Renewables Keep Growing as Pandemic Crashes Global Energy Demand European utilities with bulging renewable energy portfolios are showing that the way out of the coronavirus slump is coloured green. Energy companies reported robust first quarter earnings in a period that has been bedeviled by a slump in energy demand and a collapse in gas prices. Owning large wind and solar portfolios has so far protected those companies from the worst effects of the crisis.

☼ In A Post-Pandemic World, Renewable Energy Is The Only Way Forward A post-pandemic economic reconstruction based on restructuring the energy map makes sense. The time has come to abandon outdated concepts, to change our mindset, and to put the use of renewables at the top of our list of priorities.

☼ We signed on to Efficiency Canada's open letter in support of extending and improving Ontario’s Interim Framework to conserve electricity.

Take Action

☢ Stop Japan from dumping radioactive water from the Fukushima Nuclear Disaster into the sea – it should instead be solidified and stored onland. Petition to the Japanese gov’t.

☢ Stop the giant Hamilton gas pipeline - sign the petition Say no to the proposed Hamilton Pipeline and fracked gas imports from the U.S.

☢ Sign the petition to phase-out Ontario's gas plants Rather than ramp up GHGs from Ontario's gas plants by 400%, we can power our grid with conservation, water power from QC and made-in-ON green energy at lower cost, lower risk and lower emission. Send a letter to ON's Premier and Party Leaders here.

Forward this email
make a donation
view this email in your browser

Copyright © 2020 Ontario Clean Air Alliance, All rights reserved.
You are subscribed to the No Nuke News list published by the Ontario Clean Air Alliance.

Our mailing address is:Ontario Clean Air Alliance160 John St, #300
Toronto, On M5V 2E5 Canada

Add us to your address book