Greenspiration Events: climate and racial justice

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Jun 7 23:32:31 EDT 2020

The fight for climate action is first and foremost a fight for justice. We stand in solidarity & pledge to fight racism, white supremacy, colonialism, & any violent, institutionalized injustice that both worsens & is made worse by the climate crisis. - Climate Action Network Canada

Climate justice means justice for black lives

The work of dismantling white supremacy is critical to building a climate movement that is rooted in justice. Great links embedded within.

https://medium.com/@350Canada/climate-justice-means-justice-for-black-lives-19d794d4ec3

Anti-racism Resources

This document is a compilation of resources (articles, videos, podcasts, books, films, feeds) intended to serve as a resource to white people to deepen our anti-racism work. If you haven’t engaged in anti-racism work in the past, start now.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BRlF2_zhNe86SGgHa6-VlBO-QgirITwCTugSfKie5Fs/preview?pru=AAABcpT4d0I*Gu4gfUM0ypzZ3snqFZ82-g

_______________________

_______________________

GLOBAL

Sixth mass extinction of wildlife accelerating, scientists warn

Analysis shows 500 species on brink of extinction – as many as were lost over previous century. The researchers also warned of a domino effect, with the loss of one species tipping others that depend on it over the edge. But it's not too late.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jun/01/sixth-mass-extinction-of-wildlife-accelerating-scientists-warn

Warnings of 'Catastrophic Consequences' as Locust Swarms Hit India and Pakistan in Midst of Coronavirus Crisis and Eviscerating Heat

India is facing three disasters at once—locusts, Covid-19, and eviscerating heat. Temperatures soared to 118 degrees Fahrenheit (47.6 degrees Celsius) in the capital New Delhi this week, and 122 F (50 C) in the desert state of Rajasthan, after the world’s hottest April on record.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/05/28/warnings-catastrophic-consequences-locust-swarms-hit-india-and-pakistan-midst

Communicating climate change during the Covid-19 crisis

What does the evidence say about how to engage people on climate change while we're dealing with another crisis? Through 10 principles, our guide and webinar provides insights into what effective climate communications can look like during the ongoing Covid-19 crisis.

https://climateoutreach.org/resources/communicating-climate-change-during-covid-19-crisis-evidence/

I’m a black climate expert. Racism derails our efforts to save the planet.

Stopping climate change is hard enough, but racism only makes it harder

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/06/03/im-black-climate-scientist-racism-derails-our-efforts-save-planet/

Climate Reality Leadership Corps: Global Training

This July 18 - 26, led by our founder Al Gore, we are hosting our first-ever online training to mobilize and grow the global movement of activists committed to combating the climate crisis.

https://climaterealityproject.org/apply/globaltraining

Reasons to be Cheerful - David Byrne's (Talking Heads) online magazine

https://reasonstobecheerful.world/

_______________________

_______________________

CANADA

Here’s every environmental protection in Canada that has been suspended, delayed and cancelled during COVID-19

The changes started in Alberta, with Ontario following soon afterwards. Now, the federal government and most provinces have made changes related to environmental protection that they say are temporary.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2020/06/03/news/heres-every-environmental-protection-canada-has-been-suspended-delayed-and-cancelled

The climate crisis: learning and taking inspiration from our COVID response

Canada needs to abandon its practice of setting and missing distant climate targets and adopt concrete, detailed, and specific action plans that we rigorously follow and track, as we've done with covid.

https://www.hilltimes.com/2020/06/01/250229/250229

Stop Canada From Drowning the Oceans in Plastics

Tell the Canadian Gov't it must meet its commitment to ban unnecessary single-use plastics by 2021.

https://www.change.org/p/join-oceanacan-in-building-a-future-without-plastic-pollution

Building Back Better: A roadmap to the Canada we want

We can create quality jobs and own part of the low-carbon podium if we invest now with boldness and creativity

https://www.corporateknights.com/channels/leadership/investing-quality-jobs-build-back-better-15911930/

Alberta nixed enviro protections and Vista wants to strip mine more coal

Tell Minister of Environment and Climate Change Jonathan Wilkinson that, in light of new information about Coalspur’s plans for a coal comeback, he must order an environmental assessment for the Vista coal mine expansion.

https://www.support.ecojustice.ca/page/61881/action/1

Alberta, Withdraw the Critical Infrastructure Defence Act - petition opposing the AB gov'ts passing of this act restricting protest

https://www.change.org/p/jason-kenney-withdraw-the-critical-infrastructure-defence-act

More info here: https://albertapolitics.ca/2020/06/albertas-bill-1-is-bad-law-bad-theatre-and-an-unconstitutional-attack-on-the-fundamental-rights-of-citizens/

And viral 2 min. video: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CBA-wUzJotX/?igshid=1gje9snv6w9l7

Bike lanes installed on urgent basis across Canada during COVID-19 pandemic

Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Kitchener, Toronto, Montreal and Moncton have all recently extended their cycling networks. Commuters nervous to take public transit hop on bikes; driving not an option for many.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bike-lanes-covid-pandemic-canada-1.5598164

_______________________

_______________________

ONTARIO

Status of Environmental Protection in Ontario: Threatened

The Ford government, under a mandate of “opening Ontario for business,” has launched an attack on the environment under the guise of cutting “red tape.” The government has also targeted laws aimed at conserving natural systems, gutted protections for species-at-risk, proposed doubling logging in the boreal forest, and exempted industry from government and public oversight amounting to death by a thousand cuts. This report highlights critical conservation hotspots in ON.

https://www.wildernesscommittee.org/sites/default/files/2020-06/2020_conservation_hotspots_paper_web.pdf

Watch Katie Krelove''s fireside chat here about the ABCs of environmental policy now in Ontario.: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=647030975848066

Why is Ontario spending billions on nuclear energy when cheap renewables are available?

Considering the urgency of the climate crisis, the drastic drop in wind and solar costs over the last five years, and the availability of cheap hydroelectricity, Ontario’s abrupt pivot toward expanding natural gas and unwavering intent to develop an expensive and dangerous nuclear sector is startling. Why spend millions of dollars to cut renewable energy projects, only to turn around and spend billions more to develop an economically floundering nuclear sector and prop up an environmentally disastrous oil industry?

https://canadiandimension.com/articles/view/why-is-ontario-spending-billions-on-nuclear-energy-when-cheap-renewables-are-available

Sign the petition to phase-out Ontario's gas plants

We have lower cost, emission free, renewable sources of power to keep the lights on including conservation, water power from QC, and made in ON renewables.

www.OntarioClimateAction.ca

_______________________

_______________________

TORONTO

Clearing the Air: How Electric Vehicles and Cleaner Trucks Can Help Reduce Pollution, Improve Health and Save Lives in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area

We need to electrify our transportation - this will reduce air pollution and cut greenhouse gas emissions. We also need to reduce transportation. And we need a 100% renewable grid to electrify that transportation - in Ontario that means phasing out our gas and nuclear plants and replacing them with conservation, water power from QC, and made in ON green energy. Petition: www.OntarioClimateAction.ca

https://clearingtheair.ca/

Show your support for a green and just recovery for Toronto

All levels of government are beginning to plan for the longer-term social and economic recovery from COVID-19. In Toronto, Mayor Tory has struck a new task force to develop a recovery plan. Do you support a green and just recovery for Toronto? Sign up and join us in calling on our elected officials to: Put Toronto on a path to recovery that builds a more just, resilient and sustainable city and Ensure transparency and meaningful resident and worker engagement in the development of Toronto’s recovery plan.

https://www.torontoenvironment.org/recovery

Have a Say in How Toronto will Recover and Rebuild

The Toronto Office of Recovery and Rebuild (TORR) wants to hear from you about how we can build a better, healthier, greener and more equitable Toronto as we recover from the COVID-19 pandemic. Please complete their short survey by June 30 and insist that a climate lens is applied to the recovery and rebuild process. Info and survey link here:

https://www.toronto.ca/home/covid-19/covid-19-latest-city-of-toronto-news/recovery-rebuild/

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

Resilient Gardens for a Changing Climate

Tues. June 9, 3 p.m. EST

Learn how extreme weather affects plants, including trees, and how you can design resilient food and ornamental gardens to help plants survive “weird weather.”

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_LYIZYCbWQKOCQ19VKTHZCA

_______________________

_______________________

Energy Storage Technologies: Developments, Issues and Outlook

Tues. June 9, 1:15 to 2:45 p.m. EST

The future of clean energy on the electricity grid, grid modernization and power system resilience overall depends on the ability to store energy because of the intermittency of renewable energy sources. Join panelists in a review of the status of energy storage technologies (batteries, hydro, electrolysis and new innovations) and the implication for energy project financing.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/3673138901153970444

_______________________

_______________________

XR (Extinction Rebellion) Toronto - Digital General Assembly

Tuesday, June 9, 6:30 - 9 p.m. EST

The general assembly is a forum for anyone who considers themselves a part of XR here in Toronto to brainstorm and plan activities. Orientation from 6:30 - 7.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1399204823619502/

_______________________

_______________________

Fractures in the Bridge

Tues. June 9, 2 p.m. EST

BC Doctors concerned about the health impacts of fracking share their insights and experience on the province's most controversial fuel. Hosted by CAPE  (Canadian Assoc. of Physicians for the Environment)

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_-DdZdj27QZGM_3sMsUuQwA

_______________________

_______________________

eLearning #AtHomeWithNature

Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) has introduced fun, e-Learning videos, activities, and resources that will help families deepen their understanding and appreciation of nature, ecology, and cultural heritage — all from the comfort of home.

Beautiful Native Plants (June 9)

Nature in your Neighbourhood (June10)

Species at Risk in the Urban Jungle (June 11)

Rain to Runoff:  A Stormwater Story (June 16)

All About Bats (June 18)

https://trca.ca/learning/nature-elearning/

_______________________

_______________________

Winning a Just Recovery for Health, Community and Climate

Wed. June 10, 7 p.m. EST

Join Toronto350 to discuss why we cannot go back to “normal,” and the principles of a Just Recovery and consider ways to win a Just Recovery through collective action and how we can dream bigger to achieve a Green New Deal that puts people and the planet over the wealth of a few.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/winning-a-just-recovery-for-health-community-and-climate-tickets-107015821202

_______________________

_______________________

Family Biking Webinar

Wed. June 10, noon - 1 p.m. EST

Hosted by Cycle Toronto. Topics include: Riding while pregnant; Riding with toddlers and small children; Child seats and accessories; Teaching your child to ride; Riding to school; Safety tips; First road rides.

https://www.cycleto.ca/civicrm/event/register?reset=1&id=68

_______________________

_______________________

A Case for Nature-Based Solutions in Canada

Thur. June 11, 1 - 2 pm EST

Investing in nature-based solutions to climate change is a great opportunity to create jobs and build back better as our economy struggles with the COVID19 crisis. This webinar will provide an overview of some of the key dimensions of nature-based climate solutions and emerging opportunities for groups to work together, including a discussion of how we can defend and restore wildlife and landscapes, fight climate change, and contribute to the economic recovery process at the same time. With Nature Canada and CPAWS.

https://sustainabilitynetwork.ca/graham-saul-of-nature-canada-a-case-for-nature-based-solutions-in-canada/

_______________________

_______________________

The Environment + Preparing for Post-Pandemic Greener Pastures

Thur. June 11, 8 a.m. EST

Investing in green jobs offers economic stimulus, decent work for many who are unemployed and the opportunity for real environmental advancement.

https://torontofoundation.ca/better-toronto-coalition/

_______________________

_______________________

Why a Just Recovery must be anti-racist: Mass online teach-in

Thur. June 11, 7 pm EST

Come together to learn why anti-racism is crucial to tackle the climate emergency and for a Just Recovery from COVID-19. Hosted by 350.org and Climate Action Network.

https://act.leadnow.ca/anti-racism-teach-in/

_______________________

_______________________

Media Uplifting the Human Spirit & Society

Thur. June 11, noon EST

Ravi Chaudhry and Hazel Henderson will examine the responsibility of media in the global sustainability movement showcasing the winners of the EthicMark Awards over the past ten years.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/3691606298673537035

_______________________

_______________________

Sharing Our Cheques: Grassroots fundraising during Covid-19

Thur. June 11, 7:30 p.m. EST

We will share our analysis as to why resource redistribution is so important right now (including some inspiring mutual aid initiatives during COVID); explore our relationship with money (giving it away, talking about it, asking for it); support folks to commit to redistributing resources by taking the #ShareMyCheque pledge; and build some skills and strategies for inviting your friends, families, and communities to join in too!

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUrdumorzooH9aw5MOrmcRzOr6VyK6OHS0Q

_______________________

_______________________

Advocacy, Campaigning, and Government Relations

Thursday June 11, 2 p.m. EST

Hear from doctors who have waged and won campaigns to protect health, and get an inside view from a government relations expert. Hosted by CAPE (Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment)

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_M8DSq4-8RneL6qc4yaJu-g

_______________________

_______________________

Virtual Vegan Rock

Friday June 12, 6:30 pm EST

Turn up the volume and rock out to live performances by vegan musicians.

https://www.facebook.com/events/614711502735896/

_______________________

_______________________

Fridays for Future holds Weekly Climate Strikes

Fri. June 12, 11 a.m. - noon EST

Livestreamed webinars with different speakers lead by youth.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ1nFFdZbUo6cAr2jV3X0_g

_______________________

_______________________

Full Immigration Status for All - Mass Digital Rally

Sun. June 14

On June 14th, we will hold a massive digital and social media gathering of migrants, poor and working class people, and allies. The global COVID-19 pandemic has proven that migrants are essential to our communities but are exploited and excluded. Together, migrants from across Canada will raise our voice for healthcare, decent work, family unity and equal rights for all. We demand full immigration status.

https://migrantrights.ca/june2020/

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, read and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

And for the best global perspective: DESMOG - Clearing the PR Pollution that clouds climate science

https://www.desmogblog.com/topics/covering-climate-now

Centre for Social Innovation Events - Toronto

https://socialinnovation.org/community/events/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing for Toronto

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

---