Greenspiration News and Events: Rebellion

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Nov 8 23:31:53 EST 2020

Rebellion

Global temperatures are rising and so are we: millions of young people rise up to demand their right to a livable planet. Sparked by activist Greta Thunberg in Sweden and exploding around the world, the global climate protests have been some of the largest demonstrations in history. Rebellion, a documentary from The Nature of Things, is a vivid portrait of this extraordinary grassroots movement. Watch on CBC here.

https://gem.cbc.ca/media/the-nature-of-things/season-60/episode-1/38e815a-01356eb43e5

Biden-Harris Campaign Launches BuildBackBetter.com Transition Team Site

So far in 2020, there have been 43 bankruptcies by [fossil] energy companies. A Biden presidency could accelerate a wave of fossil industry bankruptcies. Though Biden has emphasized a transition, he has promised to cancel the presidential permit for the Keystone XL pipeline. And the fate of the Dakota Access Pipeline will be reconsidered. Action on climate change may be a key component of economic recovery.

https://theenergymix.com/2020/11/06/biden-harris-campaign-launches-buildbackbetter-com-transition-team-site/

No Fighter Jets

The Canadian Federal Government is considering spending $19 B on the purchase of 88 new F-35 fighter jets with a projected life-cycle cost of $50-60 B in addition to the over $500 M currently invested in fighter jet development. In the middle of a public health crisis where Canadians are relying on financial assistance, we simply cannot afford to be spending billions on purchasing fighter jets and must redirect this money to support our healthcare workers and vulnerable populations.

https://vowpeace.org/nofighterjets/

Nuclear arms and Canada

With the treaty banning nuclear weapons about to become international law, Canada is still on the wrong side of history, refusing to sign on. As Canadians don their poppies for Remembrance Day, born out of the popular movement to end all wars after the First World War, we should be thinking of the threat that 13,865 nuclear weapons pose to civilization. Remembrance Day should be more closely identified with the global efforts to abolish nuclear weapons.

https://www.catholicregister.org/item/32339-nuclear-arms-and-canada

Urge the Government of Ontario to respect and uphold protections for Provincially Significant Wetlands and to stop its misuse of Minister’s Zoning Orders

The Government of Ontario is showing its true colours with recent moves to ride roughshod over protections for Provincially Significant Wetlands. Send a letter here to uphold protections.

https://ontarionature.good.do/psws/email/

Ontario continues its pro-developer, anti-environmental agenda

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2020/11/05/ontario-continues-its-pro-developer-anti-environmental-agenda.html

You're now helping to pay the electricity bills of Ontario's biggest companies

ON taxpayers to shell out $6.2 B/yr to artificially lower electricity rates - that's one sixth of our deficit! Instead of rebuilding 10 high cost nuke reactors, let's go renewable -- water power from QC, conservation and wind/solar can meet all our electricity needs at a fraction of the cost. Send an email to Finance Minister Rod Phillips today.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/sub/

Home Energy Savings Initiative

Are you interested in reducing your household carbon footprint as well as your energy bill? Sign up for a FREE consultation!

https://hesiii.godaddysites.com/

Housing Crisis: Toronto Needs a Vacant Homes Tax

Toronto City Councillors will be voting soon on whether or not to take one of the many actions needed to address our housing crisis: implementing a Vacant Homes Tax. Use our tool to send a message to your local Councillor and the Mayor.

https://www.progresstoronto.ca/vacant-homes-tax

My friend Dianne is fundraising for her rent for healthy housing

https://www.gofundme.com/f/environmentally-safe-housing-please-for-dianne

_______________________

_______________________

Intergenerational Voices: Why Climate Change Matters to ALL Canadians

Monday, November 9, noon - 1 p.m. EST

Lloyd Axworthy and David Suzuki have spent decades advocating, pressing and legislating for social justice and climate justice with enormous success and also setbacks. Looking back on more than 50 years on the frontlines of activism, what can they share with a new generation of activists? And why now do they see the need to come together and join forces on the critical consequences of a planet warming at an accelerated rate?

https://www.masseycollege.ca/event/missing-cop26-intergenerational-voices/

_______________________

_______________________

Voice Of Women for Peace's 60th Anniversary Event: 6-Minute Stories From VOW

Mon. Nov. 9, 7 p.m. EST

We will have 6-minute stories on VOW's history of activism from incredible women and men involved in making it. Join us for what is sure to be an incredible evening highlighting our past as we look forward to continuing our work to create a better future for all.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/vows-60th-anniversary-event-6-minute-stories-from-vow-tickets-123390094093

_______________________

_______________________

Educating for Equity - Race, Antisemitism and the Holocaust

Mon. Nov. 9, 4:30 p.m. EST

In this time of political and social unrest, in the middle of a racial reckoning and a global pandemic, we are asking you to take a moment to recognize that those who do not know history are condemned to repeat it. Join ESJE (Enhancing Social Justice Education) in a live conversation with experts who will explore race and equity in the current climate.

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_cJTax1obRuuwMf0da84liw

_______________________

_______________________

We Still Here: Pandemic, Policing, Protest, and Possibility

Monday, November 9, 5 p.m. EST

The uprising of 2020 marked a new phase in the unfolding Movement for Black Lives. The brutal killings of Ahmaud Arbery, George Floyd, and Breonna Taylor, and countless other injustices large and small, lit the spark of the largest protest movement in US history, a historic uprising against racism and the politics of disposability that the Covid-19 pandemic lays bare. Join leaders in this urgent conversation about the ongoing struggle for freedom in the wake of the 2020 election.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/we-still-here-tickets-127234625189

_______________________

_______________________

Green in the City: Urban Agriculture in your Backyard and Community

Tues. Nov. 10, 7 - 8:15 EST

Learn how you can become an urban AG-vocate by getting involved in urban agriculture in your community and in your home.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/green-in-the-city-urban-agriculture-in-your-backyard-and-community-tickets-121566283025

_______________________

_______________________

Racialized policing in Canada and the drive to defund police

Tues. Nov. 10, 7 p.m. EST

While the murder of George Floyd and many others at the hands of American police has drawn global attention to problems with racialized policing in that country, Canada has its own long history of racialized policing. This panel contextualizes the current move to defund police in this history. The panelists will discuss racialized policing in Canada in both historical and contemporary contexts, and then explore why so many people in Canada and around the globe are calling for the defunding of police. Can we not just reform the police to tackle these problems? What would defunding the police look like?

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_PBxamjC6TjGum5YQ9DUNWQ

Or watch it live here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCryI4HDYiaiTjT4_HrSzjSQ/featured

_______________________

_______________________

Solastagia

Wed. November 11, 3 pm and 6 p.m. Pacific (6 p.m. and 9 p.m. EST)

Join For Our Kids and Mother Rising Collective for a special screening of the 12-minute lyrical film, Solastagia. SOLASTALGIA is a lyrical film that explores the anguish that climate change and a global state of uncertainty can impart upon the human psyche. Following the film, we will be joined for a Q&A with the filmmaker, Millefiore Clarke, to discuss the film and climate grief.

https://www.forourkids.ca/solastagia_early

https://www.forourkids.ca/solastagia_late

_______________________

_______________________

Resistance & Resilience – labour and immigration

Wed, November 11, 7 - 9 p.m. EST

Join Migrants Resource Centre Canada for a panel discussion and fundraiser to celebrate our second anniversary. This event will highlight current developments in labor and immigration policies that are affecting working-class communities, in particular migrant workers in Canada. Our panel speakers will discuss the disproportionate impacts of COVID-19 on racialized and immigrant communities, with a specific focus on racialized workers.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/resistance-resilience-online-panel-and-fundraiser-tickets-126431745755

_______________________

_______________________

Protect Our Waterways – No Nuclear Waste

Thur. Nov. 12, 7:30 - 8:30 pm ET

Dr. Gordon Edwards will address four questions: What is nuclear waste? Why is nuclear waste hard to contain? Why is nuclear waste so dangerous? Why a DGR (deep geologic repository) is the wrong solution?

https://partner-wellingtonwaterwatchers.nationbuilder.com/pow_webinar_nov_12

_______________________

_______________________

Are Vulnerable Populations Protected from Hazardous Chemicals in Canada? Why a New Approach is Needed

Thur. Nov. 12, 1 p.m. EST

In this webinar our presenters will explore the challenges facing workers who handle hazardous chemicals in their workplaces, and the barriers to adopting the use of safer products in these workplaces. Nail salon workers will be highlighted as a case study. The webinar will discuss why the Canadian Environmental Protection Act should recognize vulnerable populations and prioritize informed substitution strategies for hazardous chemicals, rather than exposures. The Substitution Principle will be illustrated with the examples of PFAS, perchloroethylene and PBDEs. We will be joined on the webinar by Anne Rochon Ford, Nail Salon Workers Project (an initiative of the Parkdale-Queen West Community Health Centre) and Beverley Thorpe, Consultant to Clean Production Action.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMrce2uqzovH9bA4O6qUkqV7AchIYgX30Sg

_______________________

_______________________

Achieving Net-Zero: How a Climate Accountability Act can get us there - with Ecojustice

Thur. Nov 12, 2:30 pm ET

Canada has missed every climate target it has ever set. A Climate Accountability Law could change that. A strong new climate law could also link emission reduction targets to support for a Just Recovery. Join this webinar conversation to learn more - and to learn how you can push your MP to support it.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/5231596582330854927

_______________________

_______________________

International Diplomacy: What Ingredients Made COP21 In Paris a Success and Could We Do It Again?

Thursday, November 12, noon - 1 p.m. EST

In 2015, the countries of the world met in Paris and achieved consensus on a set of commitments to reduce carbon emissions and strive to reduce the pace of global warming. 2015 was considered a breakthrough in climate change ambition. We know now that we need much stronger commitments as science and data have continued to inform us. Can we recreate the momentum of 2015 in a much-changed world in 2021 when the countries of the world again come together to negotiate? Kathleen Wynne was at the heart of the negotiations in 2015 – she will share her experiences from that momentous time, from her perspective as a senior member of Canada’s delegation for the Paris Climate Agreement negotiations.

https://www.masseycollege.ca/event/missing-cop26-international-diplomacy/

_______________________

_______________________

Green Hydrogen: Time to Seize the Moment

Thur. Nov. 12, 11 a.m. EST

A deep-dive discussion on the potential of hydrogen for enhancing and completing the transition to clean energy and the opportunities for and barriers to – including technologies, generation, storage, infrastructure and use – realizing that potential.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_gx4Aa6C5S2KhTAR8Yb7ALw

_______________________

_______________________

The Chemical Valley Project

by Broadleaf Theatre

A pay-what-you-can ticketed virtual theatre event

Fri. Nov. 13, 7 p.m. and Sat. Nov. 14, 2 p.m. EST

Located in Sarnia, Ontario, the Aamjiwnaang First Nations reserve and its 900 residents are smothered by one of Canada’s largest petrochemical corridors: Chemical Valley. Through an innovative blend of projection design, object puppetry, and solo performance, learn about siblings Vanessa Gray and Beze Gray who have dedicated their lives to fighting the pollution that threatens their community’s health, safety, and future in this documentary theatre work. The Chemical Valley Project seeks to spark conversations on Canadian environmental policy, treaty rights and Indigenous relations, as well as the current nature of Canadian identity and values.

https://firstontariopac.ca/Online/default.asp?BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::permalink=ChemicalValley&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=

_______________________

_______________________

Fridays for Future Weekly Climate Strikes

Fridays, 11 a.m. – noon

Live Streamed webinars with different speakers led by youth.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ1nFFdZbUo6cAr2jV3X0_g

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - my source for global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/