Greenspiration News & Events: 100% Renewable Energy and Storage for Everything

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Nov 22 23:49:31 EST 2020

100% Clean, Renewable Energy and Storage for Everything

1 hour recording with Mark Jacobson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQGG_oyaLIA&feature=youtu.be

https://web.stanford.edu/group/efmh/jacobson/WWSBook/WWSBook.html

Paying for the Pandemic and a Just Transition

This report starts by looking at the costs of COVID-19 and estimates of what finance we would need to implement some of this multicolored new deal, before outlining ten progressive proposals that could cover these expenditures. What makes these proposals progressive is that they are designed to make those with the broadest shoulders pay.

https://longreads.tni.org/paying-for-just-transition

A destructive legacy: Trump bids for final hack at environmental protections

Administration finishing off regulatory moves to lock in drilling, loosen wildlife protections and roll back pollution standards.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/21/trump-environmental-protections-rollback-climate-crisis

--------

Environmental groups, three opposition parties, First Nations oppose federal government’s plan to fund new nuclear reactors

Groups from across Canada called on the federal government today to halt its plans to fund experimental new small nuclear reactors (SMRs) and to take real action against climate change by investing more in renewable energy and energy efficiency.

https://crednb.ca/2020/11/18/environmental-groups-three-opposition-parties-first-nations-oppose-todays-launch-of-federal-governments-plan-to-fund-new-nuclear-reactors/

Canada’s newest nuclear industry dream is a potential nightmare

SMRs (small modular nuclear reactors) are hardly the clean technology needed for the next generation.

https://policyoptions.irpp.org/magazines/november-2020/canadas-newest-nuclear-industry-dream-is-a-potential-nightmare/

Climate Hawks Hail Milestone, Flag Major Gaps in Trudeau Government’s Climate Accountability Bill

https://theenergymix.com/2020/11/20/climate-hawks-hail-milestone-flag-major-gaps-in-trudeau-governments-climate-accountability-bill/

What is Bill C-12: Canada’s Emissions Accountability Act?

A brief explainer on the landmark legislation intended to enforce Canada’s climate targets with Catherine Abreu, ED of the Climate Action Network Canada.

https://www.facebook.com/climate.action.network.canada/videos/693912261548530

The “Canadian Net-Zero Emissions Accountability Act” is meant to finally put Canada on track to meet the climate crisis. But there is a massive gap between their words and actions. Tell our leaders in Ottawa to bring this bill in line with the pillars of a made-in-Canada Green New Deal.

https://act.350.org/letter/c-12-response/

'New climate denialism' is stopping Canada from approaching crisis with WWII-level effort

Politicians acknowledge climate crisis but don't govern in ways to fight it, says Seth Klein, author of the new book A Good War: Mobilizing Canada for the Climate Emergency.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/the-current-for-nov-17-2020-1.5804744/new-climate-denialism-is-stopping-canada-from-approaching-crisis-with-wwii-level-effort-seth-klein-1.5805336

--------

Ontario: We Need Our Conservation Authorities

Watch the webinar: https://cela.ca/we-need-our-conservation-authorities-webinar/

Call your MPP through Environmental Defence's action page: https://environmentaldefence.ca/newmode/conservation-authorities-need-help/

Write your MPP through Ontario Nature's action page: https://ontarionature.good.do/conservationauthorities/send/

Ford government risks missing climate change targets, Ontario auditor general says

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/auditor-general-environment-report-1.5806158

Phase-out Ontario's gas-fired power plants

Doing so would allow ON to meet its climate targets. Ontario can keep its lights on without increasing its greenhouse gas pollution by contracting for low-cost water power from Quebec and by investing in energy efficiency and cost-effective made-in-Ontario renewable energy. Send a letter to Ford here.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/hampipe/

---------

Tell Toronto City Council to Vote to Ban Leaf Blowers

Next year, City Council will vote on a motion to ban 2-stroke leaf-blowers and similar garden equipment: pollutants emitted:  1 leaf-blower = 500 cars! Learn more and sign the petition.

https://www.change.org/p/toronto-city-council-tell-toronto-city-council-to-vote-to-ban-leaf-blowers

Call for donations for sleeping bags via the Encampment Support Network(ESN)

There are 1,000+ people sleeping rough in Toronto https://www.instagram.com/p/CGYTxeYAJN3/

Email ESN at report.on.toronto at gmail.com to donate. Follow ESN on instagram and twitter. https://www.instagram.com/esn.to.4real/

https://linktr.ee/ESN_TO

https://ocap.ca/national-housing-day-2020-a-crisis-like-we-have-never-seen-housing-is-a-public-health-emergency/

Bruce Cockburn - My Beat

On to the bike path - Where it's something like freedom - And the wind in my earring whispers - Trust what you must - It's my beat - In my new town

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR3ndY2_O13zetCIC-8KCtt8Uv0fopo2mDjv4OkBELLZRBEJ1TeJA1FWxG4&feature=youtu.be&v=b79hmUvwrsk

_______________________

_______________________

MAKE SMTHNG is an international series of fun, hands-on events that celebrate creativity and use a positive message to challenge consumerism and its impact on the climate. The flagship event, MAKE SMTHNG Week, coincides with Black Friday and the start of the Christmas shopping season and hacks a mega-moment for consumerism.

https://www.makesmthng.org/

_______________________

_______________________

#UnexpectedSolutions - Creating Resilient Cities Together

Online events daily until Nov. 27. Sessions on smart Cities, urban futures, creating inclusive spaces, curbing carbon, innovative housing and much more.

https://eventmobi.com/future-2020/

_______________________

_______________________

Creation Care: A Letter of the Faithful

Mon. Nov. 23, 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. ET

Explore theologies of creation care and learn about our process to develop a “Letter of the Faithful for the love of creation” that will reflect theologically grounded dialogue about climate justice and global warming from across the country. Join us in prayer for creation. Hosted by For the Love of Creation.

http://bit.ly/flcforum2020

_______________________

_______________________

Circular Economy 101

Monday, November 23, 2 - 3 p.m. EST

Learn about the circular economy vs. the linear economy.

https://socialinnovation.org/event_auto/circular-economy-101/

_______________________

_______________________

National Housing Day Press Conference

Mon. Nov. 23, 11 - 11:30 a.m. EST

https://www.facebook.com/events/705060946815095/

_______________________

_______________________

Race, Racism, and COVID-19

Tues. Nov. 24, 3:30 - 5 p.m. EST

In the era of the COVID-19 pandemic, it has become apparent that there are stark racial inequities in the odds of testing positive for COVID-19, and of suffering the worst outcomes associated with the disease. This panel will explore this evidence and examine its implications for using policy and other strategies to dismantle structural racism.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/race-racism-and-covid-19-tickets-125987539121

_______________________

_______________________

Free Meng Wanzhou

Tuesday, November 24, 7 p.m. ET

In anticipation of the second anniversary of her arrest, join our online panel discussion to Free Meng Wanzhou, unjustly incarcerated by the Trudeau government at the request of the Trump Administration. You'll learn more from Canadian experts about her legal case, deteriorating relations with China, and the rise of Sinophobia in Canada - plus what you can do about it. Hosted by the Canadian Foreign Policy Institute, the Canadian Peace Congress, Just Peace Advocates, the Hamilton Coalition To Stop The War, and World BEYOND War.

https://actionnetwork.org/events/free-meng-wanzhou

_______________________

_______________________

>From Land Acknowledgements to Land Back: Supporting Indigenous Communities

Tues. Nov. 24, 6:30 p.m. EST

Across Canada and specifically in Ontario, Indigenous people are under renewed attacks on their land and treaty rights. Learn from a panel of Indigenous activists and leaders about the steps you and your local can take to support Indigenous communities and move toward reconciliation.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_NgUUVBhiRmGHn3iAdvIPPQ

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Warriors

Film screening & virtual debate on climate activism

Tues. Nov. 24, noon - 1:15 p.m. EST

The documentary CLIMATE WARRIORS showcases climate activists, scientists & entrepreneurs in Europe and the US that fight the climate crisis.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/film-screening-of-climate-warriors-virtual-debate-on-climate-activism-registration-128790270165

_______________________

_______________________

What does a just transition look like in a time of pandemic?

Tues. Nov. 24, 3 - 5 p.m. EST

The pandemic has exposed the impact that everyday inequality has on vulnerable communities, and their limited capacities to respond to major shocks in terrifying detail. Our panelists will discuss how a just transition to a low carbon future can address these inequalities to make decarbonization a sustainable process that enhances justice, equity, and anti-racism.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/what-does-a-just-transition-look-like-in-a-time-of-pandemic-tickets-128770330525

_______________________

_______________________

Unlocking the Myths: Reusables and Covid

Tuesday, November 24, 6:30 - 8 p.m. EST

Join us for a mindful conversation and an opportunity to hear our knowledgeable panelists debunking the safety concerns about reusable systems during Covid.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/zero-waste-cafe-reusables-edition-tickets-128816645053

_______________________

_______________________

Financing the Green Renovation Wave

Wed. Nov. 25, 11 a.m. EST

Building Back Better Together – Canada and Europe, in partnership with the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany in Canada.  An examination of how deep retrofits for residential and commercial builders are financed in Germany and other parts of the EU, and what Canada can learn to get the green renovation wave fully off the ground here.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_onr_62ijTsSVTW01u0HwzQ

_______________________

_______________________

Why should you care and what can you do about climate change?

Wed. Nov. 25, 7 - 8 p.m. EST

The climate is changing fast. Canada is warming at about twice the global rate, with the greatest warming occurring in the North. Climate change means not only warming, but an increase in the frequency and severity of extreme weather events such as droughts and hurricanes. A changing climate also means less predictable weather patterns that impact agriculture.  With haste, our conversation must turn to what we can do to limit our greenhouse gas emissions. Those actions range from each one of use taking responsibility for reducing our “carbon footprint” to collective societal action to shift our reliance from fossil fuels to renewable energy.

https://alumni.utoronto.ca/events-and-programs/u-t-where-you-are-why-should-you-care-and-what-can-you-do-about-climate-change

_______________________

_______________________

Climate and COVID-19: Global Carbon Lock-in or Green Recoveries

Wed. Nov. 25, 12:10 - 2 pm EST

With Cassie Flynn, Strategic Advisor on Climate Change & Head of the Climate Promise, United Nations Development Programme.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/climate-and-covid-19-global-carbon-lock-in-or-green-recoveries-tickets-127886508991

_______________________

_______________________

Nuclear Free Future Award 2020

Wed. Nov. 25, 10 a.m. ET

Since 1998, the Nuclear-Free Future Award has honoured people worldwide who have committed themselves to a future free of nuclear power and nuclear weapons. An international jury of activists and scientists selected the winners of the Nuclear Free Future Award 2020 in the three categories resistance, education and solution – each prize is endowed with 5000 US dollars:

https://www.icanw.de/action/nuclear-free-future-award-2020/

_______________________

_______________________

Recognizing Invisible Violence: The Criminalization of Women

Wed. Nov. 25, 4:30 - 6 p.m. EST

The panel will explore the alarming trend of criminalization of women, in particular survivors of gender-based violence within the legal justice system. We will explore its causes and the particularly harmful consequences for racialized women as seen within the Clinic’s own Criminalization of Women Project.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/recognizing-invisible-violence-the-criminalization-of-women-tickets-127805143625

_______________________

_______________________

Local Democracy in Ontario

Wed. Nov. 25, 7 pm EST

A multi-partisan discussion, featuring three Members of Provincial Parliament (Green, Liberal, NDP). Hosted by Unlock Democracy Canada www.unlockdemocracy.ca

https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJMsf--vqzoiEtBNalOzkNnrBGLGwHbSBy0d

_______________________

_______________________

The Nuclear North: Histories of Canada in the Atomic Age - book launch

Thursday, Nov. 26, 5 - 6 p.m. EST

The Nuclear North investigates Canada’s role in a nuclear world and asks critical questions in these ongoing debates. Should Canada belong to international alliances that depend on the threat of using nuclear weapons for their own security? Should Canadian-produced nuclear technologies be sold on the export market to potential proliferators? Does the country’s championing of arms control and disarmament on the global stage matter? What about the domestic costs of nuclear technologies and atomic research, including their impact on local communities and the environment?

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87950850864?pwd=cW5sd09HK3ZVYUhtb2NvRkpzRStyZz09#success

_______________________

_______________________

How can modern science intercept environmental contributors to chronic diseases? Gaps and solutions for chemical regulation.

Nov. 26, 1 p.m. EST

Meg Sears PhD, of Prevent Cancer Now will highlight some key health impacts of endocrine disrupting chemicals on vulnerable groups including children and the developing fetus, and analyze of points of failure of the current assessment approaches. Prevention of toxicant exposures and the escalating trends of chronic diseases rests in closing these gaps and modernizing Canada’s environmental laws, to recognize and protect vulnerable groups from hazardous chemicals.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMvcO2vrj0pE9HRj7UvHqqDOQLJE0X_Qlj-

_______________________

_______________________

Life of a Tree

Thur. Nov. 26, 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.

Trees are all around us, but we can overlook the amazing things they do for us every day. Learn about the life cycle of trees and what features can help you decipher a tree’s identity. We will also introduce you to keystone and interesting species that you can find in your neighbourhood

https://trca.ca/event/life-of-a-tree-3/?instance_id=5753

_______________________

_______________________

The Bicycle Film Festival

Oct/Nov/Dec.  Nov 27th the focus will be Ontario centric. Dec. 12 - 20 will focus on Calgary.

 https://www.bicyclefilmfestival.com/cities/

_______________________

_______________________

SDG 16 + 13: Climate Change and Security - Impacts of Climate Change and Human Society

Fri. Nov. 27, noon - 1:30 pm PST.

How do we tackle climate change? It is a loaded question that often has no simple answer(s). The anthropogenic climate crisis is the defining issue of the 21st century.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0sde2rrjwpGtNS1IcL4uonsnyFyy-rCdn4

_______________________

_______________________

Gather: Movie Night

Friday, November 27, 7 p.m. EST

Join FoodShare's Community Growing team for a free online screening of Gather, a documentary that weaves together personal narrative and archival footage to tell an important story about food justice and Indigenous food sovereignty. “Gather is an intimate portrait of the growing movement amongst Native Americans to reclaim their spiritual, political and cultural identities through food, while battling the trauma of centuries of genocide.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/foodshare-presents-gather-tickets-127885764765

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - my source for global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/