Greenspiration News and Events: Keep Transit Moving

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Nov 30 01:21:25 EST 2020

No Vaccine for Climate Change - International Red Cross

Our world has seen more than 100 climate disasters since the COVID-19 pandemic was declared, and 410,000 people have lost their lives to extreme weather and other climate impacts in the last decade. All told, floods, storms, and heat waves have affected 1.7 billion people over the last 10 years.

https://theenergymix.com/2020/11/23/no-vaccine-for-climate-change-red-cross-warns-as-disasters-kill-410000-in-10-years/

Petition opposing federal support for SMNRs

We, the undersigned, citizens and residents of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to:

1. Uphold its commitment as a signatory to the Joint Convention to minimize the generation of radioactive waste; and

2. Cease all support and taxpayer funding for small modular nuclear reactors.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-2849

Defund Trans Mountain, Fund a Green New Deal - petition

https://350.org/canada/defundtmx/

Sign the Open Letter to Biden: Canada Doesn't Want Keystone XL Pipeline

https://act.350.org/letter/biden-no-kxl/

______________________

_______________________

Climate Action Now!

Mon. Nov. 30, 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. EST

We'll bring together elements of theology, communications, grief, healing, and climate justice advocacy and create collective climate action online. Participants will be invited to bring mindfulness about the climate emergency into the holiday season and to contemplate ongoing engagement in the work of climate justice. Hosted by For the Love of Creation.

http://bit.ly/flcforum2020

_______________________

_______________________

Re-imagining Accountability for Survivors of Gender-Based Violence

Mon. Nov. 30, 7 - 8:30 p.m. EST

This panel discussion will attempt to re-imagine what safety, accountability and justice could look like outside of the traditional criminal justice system. Speakers will unpack what calls to defund the police could mean for survivors of sexual and gendered violence. They will discuss the possible role of community action – as opposed to police, government and traditional legal actors – in responding to the needs of women, girls and all those who experience gender-based violence.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/re-imagining-accountability-for-survivors-of-gender-based-violence-tickets-126816638981

_______________________

_______________________

Phone Zap: Redefine public safety through community, not policing!

Monday, November 30, noon EST

The City of Toronto’s 2021 Budget process is now underway. Join Showing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ) Toronto in calling and emailing City Councillors to demand defunding the Toronto Police Service (TPS) by 50%, and immediately redirect the funds towards vital community supports & services.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYkceysqj8pH9EB7SbWYAi3JVWPkKFNoHwB

_______________________

_______________________

Buy Good. Feel Good. Virtual Holiday Market

Dec. 1 - 15

Shop brands that put people and planet first. Treat the loved ones in your life with gifts from brands that are zero waste, eco-friendly, fair trade, handmade, and women-owned. From mud masks to honey candles, organic cotton sheet sets to dye kits for kids, our holiday gift guides have you covered this joyful season.

https://www.buygoodfeelgood.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Digital Rally to keep transit moving

Tuesday, December 1, 7:30 - 8 p.m. EST

Across the country, transit agencies are on the brink of collapsing or being forced to cut service routes and jobs because of the impacts of COVID-19. The pandemic has added additional pressure to our transit systems, compounding decades of neglect, cuts and privatization. Now that the second wave of COVID-19 is here we need to work to protect our public transit agencies for the future. This digital rally is organized by the Keep Transit Moving Coalition, which brings together organizations from coast to coast working toward a just recovery and a Green New Deal for public transit.

https://www.keeptransitmoving.ca/events

_______________________

_______________________

Movement Building and Transnational Freedom Struggles

Tues. Dec. 1, 7 - 8:30 pm EST

This panel will be a conversation about how we can build a global movement for prison abolition, and the types of shared knowledge, strategies, and organizing an internationalist movement to abolish police and prisons will require. Featuring Angela Y. Davis

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/study-and-struggle-movement-building-and-transnational-freedom-struggles-tickets-125374100309

_______________________

_______________________

The Climate Crisis and First Nations’ Right to Food in Canada

Tues. Dec. 1, 12:30 - 2 p.m. EST

Join the Indigenous Initiatives Office and Human Rights Watch as we discuss Canada's failure to respond to the climate crisis & the impact this has on First Nations

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-climate-crisis-and-first-nations-right-to-food-in-canada-tickets-129718809451

_______________________

_______________________

Committing to Seniors Care: Addressing the Gaps

Tues. Dec. 1, noon Pacific time

This webinar, hosted by the BC Health Coalition and the Council of Canadians, focuses on how we can ensure that public funding for care is spent directly on care in long term care. We want greater accountability towards residents, improved working conditions for workers to provide care, and an increase in public transparency in Long-Term Care. Most importantly, we want public funding for care to go directly to providing care and not to subsidize profits.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Lx_P2_46RhWtrnACRZP4sg

_______________________

_______________________

Personal Narrative Training

Wed. December 2, 6 - 8 p.m. EST

In this online workshop, you’ll learn the fundamentals of public narrative -- the story of self, the story of us, the story of now -- and practice telling your story to inspire others to take action. Learn from an expert storyteller to perfect your personal narrative.

https://www.progresstoronto.ca/fall-training-series-dec-2-2020

_______________________

_______________________

Carbon Footprint Reductions by Pension Plans and Other Financial Institutions: Why, How, and When?

Wed. December 2, 5 - 6:30 pm

Pension plans have increasingly been engaged in reporting on, and aiming to reduce, the carbon footprint of some or all of their portfolio of assets. Join us for a consideration of the advisability of such a reduction, the possibility of a dramatic increase in the pace of decarbonization, the carbon accounting for such reductions, and the related disclosure and transparency issues.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/willis-and-white-memorial-lecture-tickets-128293139233

_______________________

_______________________

How to Have a Low Waste Holiday

Wed. December 2, 1 - 2:30 p.m. EST

Living low waste during a pandemic is possible and so is celebrating the holidays sustainably. Learn creative ways to upcycle items readily available at home, tips and hacks to reduce waste, and how to spread environmentally friendly holiday cheer this year.

https://www.crowdcast.io/e/tpllowwasteholiday/register

_______________________

_______________________

The Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada, climate action, and Indigenous ways of knowing

Wed. December 2, 10:30 - 11:30 a.m. CST

If you have an interest in understanding the relationship between climate, land and reconciliation, this is a good online opportunity. The Panel: Joseph Naytowhow, Storyteller and Knowledge Keeper in the Faculty of Education, University of Regina; Dr. Chantelle Richmond, Canada Research Chair in Indigenous Health and Environment, Western University; and Dr. Emily Eaton, Associate Professor, Department of Geography and Environmental Studies, University of Regina

https://uregina-ca.zoom.us/j/95911447050?pwd=WTlFZ3p3elB4WHE2MEhORytmZGI1UT09#success

_______________________

_______________________

All We Can Save: Truth, Courage, and Solutions for the Climate Crisis

Thur. Dec. 3, 6 p.m. EST

Join this virtual conversation featuring expertise and insights of dozens of diverse women leading on climate in the United States. The book aims to advance a more representative, nuanced, and solution-oriented public conversation on the climate crisis. ALL WE CAN SAVE illuminates the need for transformational climate leadership that is more characteristically feminine and more faithfully feminist and rooted in compassion, connection, creativity, and collaboration.

https://umassboston.zoom.us/webinar/register/4916051147011/WN_dBjT6RtpS2e1cp3qpc7cqQ

_______________________

_______________________

Iron & Earth

Thursday, December 3, noon - 1 p.m. EST

Join us as we discuss the path to a net-zero economy and a just transition for workers.

https://socialinnovation.org/event_auto/climate-ventures-conversations-bruce-wilson-of-iron-earth/

_______________________

_______________________

Native Perspectives: Uranium and Community Health

Thur. Dec. 3, 8 - 9 p.m. EST

Mining uranium from deep underground, and the resultant storage of radioactive waste in perpetuity, poses an immense burden to Native communities who are plagued by health issues from radioactive pollution. Three expert panelists will discuss the health impacts from uranium mining on Native America.

https://www.grandcanyontrust.org/native-perspectives-uranium-and-environment

_______________________

_______________________

Ecological Grief Retreat: A pathway to resilience, self-care and earth-care

Fri. Dec. 4, 7 p.m. - Sun. Dec. 6, 5 p.m. ET Online Retreat

A transformative process for difficult and uncertain times

https://www.griefintogrowth.com/event-details/ecological-grief-retreat-a-pathway-to-resilience-self-care-and-earth-care

_______________________

_______________________

National Day of Remembrance and Action to Stop Violence Against Women: Amplifying Our Voices in the Year of COVID

Friday, December 4, 3:30 pm EST

An exploration of experiences of indigenous, black, and people of colour while providing tools and resources for resiliency and self-care.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_GXkkxQU9RaaToiB4AZ-JMw

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Change Empowerment Workshop

Sat. Dec. 5, 1 - 5:30 p.m. EST

Concerned about climate change and want to help? Need support to figure out your next step towards making a difference? We all have a part to play. Get started with this empowerment workshop to: 1) strengthen your motivation by recognising why this matters to you, 2) address what makes it hard for you to be more engaged, 3) identify the empowering next step(s) for you, and 4) get the support you need to follow through. By donation: $30 to Project Neutral (or to another climate change group of your choice)

Registration / Info: Henryhwai at gmail.com

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - my source for global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/