Greenspiration News and Events: Growing the future

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Feb 7 23:59:07 EST 2021

Because IPCC

This online graphic novel is a celebration of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, the United Nations body dedicated to providing the world with scientific information on climate change.

https://becauseipcc.thesuccession.ca/

Plant-based diets crucial to saving global wildlife, says UN-backed report

More than 80% of global farmland is used to raise animals, which provide only 18% of calories eaten. The food system causes about 30% of all greenhouse gas emissions, with more than half coming from animals.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/feb/03/plant-based-diets-crucial-to-saving-global-wildlife-says-report

Recharge for Rights

How do we make sure rechargeable batteries respect human rights?

https://www.amnesty.ca/energytransition

Call on Canada to protect human rights and the planet in the battery supply chain

https://takeaction.amnesty.ca/page/75451/action/1

On the 10th Anniversary of the Fukushima Nuclear Disaster - International Petition Against the Discharge of Contaminated Water into the Sea

https://www.change.org/p/japanese-government-on-the-10th-anniversary-of-the-fukushima-nuclear-disaster

Groups oppose plans to abandon defunct nuclear reactors and radioactive waste

https://rabble.ca/columnists/2021/02/groups-oppose-plans-abandon-defunct-nuclear-reactors-and-radioactive-waste

Tell Canada's Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland: Don't Subsidize New Nuclear

Once again, the federal government is planning to waste taxpayers dollars on a new nuclear technology which is far more hype than substance with no working prototypes in Canada. Send her a letter here.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/no-nuclear-subsidies/

Don't let Premier Ford fast-track two massive highways through Ontario’s Greenbelt, rivers and forests

The Ontario government has revived two long-dead proposals for new 400-series highways, Highway 413 and the Holland Marsh Highway (Bradford Bypass), which would carve through the Holland Marsh and slice up sections of farmland and the Greenbelt between Vaughan and Milton. Take action: Tell the federal government we need a real environmental assessment.

https://act.environmentaldefence.ca/page/74477/action/1

Let's get Toronto on the gas plant phase-out train

Toronto City Councillors Jennifer McKelvie and Mike Layton are following in the footsteps of their colleagues in 13 other Ontario municipalities and urging Toronto City Council to adopt a motion calling for the phase-out of gas-fired electricity in Ontario. If you are a resident of the City of Toronto, please urge your Councillor and Mayor John Tory to support this important climate motion.  Send them a message here.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/toronto/

New map tracks mass evictions happening across Toronto

https://www.blogto.com/city/2021/02/new-map-tracks-mass-evictions-toronto/

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

Toronto City Budget 2021 Town Hall

Mon. Feb. 8, 6 - 8 p.m. EST

Hosted by Social Planning Toronto. Learn more about housing, childcare, transit, environment and more, and voice your thoughts.

https://www.socialplanningtoronto.org/city_budget_2021_town_hall_option_2

_______________________

_______________________

Indian Farmers Resist Corporatization of Agriculture

Monday, February 8, 7 pm EST

Massive protests by farmers which began last year are continuing to rock the government of Narendra Modi in India. New laws brought in by Modi favouring large corporations in the agricultural sector are squeezing local farmers. Popular support is strong for these protests and has become a flash point for resistance to Modi's right-wing government.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88415471753

_______________________

_______________________

Slut Nation: Anatomy of a Protest

Tuesday, February 9, 7 - 9 pm EST

Join us for an online screening of Wendy Coburn's critical video exploring the intricacies of public protest—not all is as it appears.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/slut-nation-anatomy-of-a-protest-tickets-137010767895

_______________________

_______________________

Growing the Future - Online Cooking Classes for Kids

Feb. 9 - March 2

These classes strive to not only teach about food, nutrition and cooking techniques, but also larger conversations about where our food comes from, how different cooking methods work and why we do certain things while cooking.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdLUNgqmcNzgPXJBIajnu7N6ZArEzi10ePhxRy8fibpmuxrsA/viewform

_______________________

_______________________

Nuke Waste in Canada Overview

Wed. Feb. 10, 7 p.m. EST

An overview and update on the Nuclear Waste Management Organization's efforts to site a deep geological repository for high level nuclear fuel waste. The webinar will update on the NWMO program and activities as the company zeros in on the two municipalities that remain engaged in the NWMO campaign to site a deep geological repository for all of Canada's reactor fuel waste. The focus will be on the NWMO's program and associated developments in Canada's radioactive waste policy, regulation and nuclear expansions.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_TGDN96eoSsei-vLGYYOQQQ

_______________________

_______________________

The Big Stall: How Big Oil and Think Tanks are Blocking Action on Climate Change in Canada

With author Donald Gutstein, retired Simon Fraser Professor

Wed. Feb. 10, 1 p.m. EST

The Big Stall is essential reading for Canadian climate activists -- providing deep research on the long history of Big Oil and Big Business interference with action on the climate crisis in Canada. The Big Stall traces the origins of the Canadian government's climate change plan back to the energy sector itself — in particular Big Oil. It shows how, in the last fifteen years, Big Oil has infiltrated provincial and federal governments, academia, media and the non-profit sector to sway government and public opinion on the realities of climate change and what needs to be done about it.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_GIzuL9QFTT2Zk7wFyBOUKg

_______________________

_______________________

Semiotics of Sustainability

Wed. Feb. 10, noon EST

We will explore the meaning-making semiotics of nature immersion as an embodied guide for sustainability. Both Indigenous land-based-wisdom and psyche-sciences reveal that navigating nature shapes our brain and behaviour in a way that supports mutualistic thriving of human and environmental wellbeing.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/semiotics-of-sustainability-tickets-136519311937

_______________________

_______________________

Environmental factors affecting stress in children

Interrelationships between traffic-related noise, air pollution, and built environment.

Wed. Feb. 10, 4 p.m. EST

A growing body of research suggests that stressors such as traffic-related noise, air pollution and artificial light at night may be directly and indirectly associated with decrements in children’s mental health. On the other hand, living near greenspace can reduce stress and provide other health benefits for children.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/environmental-factors-affecting-stress-in-children-tickets-136506621981

_______________________

_______________________

Why We Organize: Future Ground Network Launch

Wed. Feb. 10, 7 p.m. EST

Future Ground Network is a new David Suzuki Foundation initiative designed to support your grassroots groups and initiatives by providing training, resources and connections to help you strengthen your impact. Whether it’s creating urban agriculture projects, campaigning for climate justice or advancing sustainable transportation, Future Ground Network allows groups to collaborate to bring about the social and ecological transitions we and the planet so badly need.

https://actionnetwork.org/events/why-we-organize-future-ground-network-launch-webinar

_______________________

_______________________

Seth Klein, author of A Good War

Thur. Feb. 11, noon - 1 p.m. EST

Seth Klein, author of A Good War: Mobilizing Canada for the Climate Emergency and a public policy expert. In A Good War, Seth Klein explores how we can align our politics and economy with what the science says we must do to address the climate crisis.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/cv-conversations-seth-klein-author-of-a-good-war-tickets-135404587767

_______________________

_______________________

Toronto City Hall 101

Thursday, February 11, 6 - 7:30 p.m. EST

Join Progress Toronto's Program and Operations Director, Erica Woods, to learn more about the legislative process, who the key players are influencing decisions, and how you can have your say.

https://www.progresstoronto.ca/winter-training-series-feb-11-2021

_______________________

_______________________

Canadian Women’s Foundation Digital Town Hall

Thursday, February 11, 4 - 5:30 pm EST

Canada’s gender equality gains have been rocked by the COVID-19 pandemic. How can we get on track to achieve meaningful gender justice? Learn what’s happening around the country and what needs to happen to end the rising risk of gender-based violence; build economic security; amplify the voices of women, girls, and gender-diverse people; and spark systemic change at a time we need it most.

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_EfWGlLKcRhqcn9iTZU7Phg

_______________________

_______________________

Border and Rule: Global Migration, Capitalism, and Racist Nationalism

Thur. Feb. 11, 5 p.m. EST

Join Harsha Walia and Robin D.G. Kelley for a discussion about racist border regimes, capitalism and migration, and the ascent of the far-right across the world.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/border-and-rule-global-migration-capitalism-and-racist-nationalism-tickets-138666626613

_______________________

_______________________

Responding to the Crisis Unleashed by the Pandemic

Thursday, February 11, 11 am - 12:30 pm EST

Social Justice Movements in the Changed Reality of the Pandemic and Beyond

https://glrc.info.yorku.ca/program-social-justice-movements-in-the-changed-reality-of-the-pandemic-and-beyond/

https://yorku.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_yizcAQweTmmtMv0tRHwf9g

_______________________

_______________________

Indigenous Sovereignty & Energy Justice

Thur. Feb. 11, 1 p.m. EST

This weekly webinar series will explore the ways we're working together today in pursuit of a climate-safe tomorrow.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_u6gNw82MQbi-hAfnOXjoig

_______________________

_______________________

Big Thinking and Rethinking Blackfoot Metaphysics - with Dr. Leroy Little Bear

Thursday, February 11, 4 pm EST

Join the acclaimed and wise scientist Leroy Little Bear in conversation with Red Sky Artistic Director Sandra Laronde to talk about big ideas spanning Blackfoot metaphysics and the role of Indigenous thinking to help shape solutions for a better future.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/redtalk-big-thinking-and-rethinking-blackfoot-metaphysics-tickets-138657288683

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - my source for global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/