Greenspiration News & Events: Join Forces to Overcome the Climate Crisis

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Feb 22 10:13:05 EST 2021

Why Texas Republicans Fear the Green New Deal - by Naomi Klein

The horrors currently unfolding in Texas expose both the reality of the climate crisis and the extreme vulnerability of fossil fuel infrastructure in the face of that crisis.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/21/opinion/green-new-deal-texas-blackout.html

Fossil Fuel Shock Doctrine: Naomi Klein on Deadly Deregulation & Why Texas Needs the Green New Deal

https://www.democracynow.org/2021/2/22/naomi_klein_texas_green_new_deal

Texas blackouts fuel false claims about renewable energy

Failures in natural gas, coal and nuclear energy systems were responsible for nearly twice as many outages in Texas as frozen wind turbines and solar panels. https://apnews.com/article/false-claims-texas-blackout-wind-turbine-f9e24976e9723021bec21f9a68afe927

Saskatchewan First Nation erects blockade after company enters territory without consent

A northern Saskatchewan First Nation blockaded a road and issued a cease-and-desist order against a Toronto uranium company.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/sask-first-nation-blockade-territory-company-1.5920039

Canada must stop propping up a repressive and corrupt dictatorship in Haiti

More than 100 academics, activists and artists are calling on the Trudeau government to cease its support for Jovenel Moïse

https://canadiandimension.com/articles/view/canada-must-stop-propping-up-a-repressive-and-corrupt-dictatorship-in-haiti

Petition against strip mining

We, the undersigned, citizens of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to impose an immediate ban in the Rocky Mountains on new strip mines opening or closed mines reopening and all existing mine expansion.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-3159

Enviro Volunteers needed to help distribute leaflets in mailboxes around Ontario

Leaflets 1) oppose federal funding for SMRs (new nuclear reactors), 2) call for a gas plant phase out, and 3) call for immediate decommissioning of the Pickering nuclear station after shutdown. Contact angela at cleanairalliance.org for more info. Students and others can gain community service hours. See the leaflets here.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/get-involved/order-pamphlets/ And send your letters to politicos here:

www.OntarioClimateAction.ca

www.NoNewNuclear.ca

www.ReclaimOurWaterfront.ca

_______________________

_______________________

Struggles for Racial Justice

Monday, February 22, 11 am – 12:30 pm

The police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis sparked a huge social upsurge in the US that spread internationally. This has led to calls to defund or abolish the police. In Canada, we have seen new momentum in confronting police violence against Black communities and an intensified challenge to the forms of racist policing faced by Indigenous community, especially at the hands of the RCMP.  Speakers will look at the present challenge to police violence and consider how it relates to broader struggles for racial justice in the new reality unleashed by the pandemic.

https://glrc.info.yorku.ca/program-social-justice-movements-in-the-changed-reality-of-the-pandemic-and-beyond/

https://yorku.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Qj0upkqvRfWkCvgSYRwTVA

_______________________

_______________________

Resist Renovictions Workshop

Mon. Feb. 22, 6 p.m. EST

We will cover details around renovictions, what to look out for and what tenants can do to organize to fight them. Hosted by Acorn Canada.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYtdOmtrzkvGdFVK5qA3z8XCXT_nNKVsdyd

_______________________

_______________________

Living Soils Water Symposium

Feb. 22 - 26

One week of solution-focused and action-oriented discussions. Bringing together a diversity of people from across sectors with one same goal: Regenerate soil. Restore water cycles. Cool the climate. For a thriving and resilient planet.

https://livingsoilssymposium.ca/en/

_______________________

_______________________

Join Forces to Overcome the Climate Crisis

Tues. Feb. 23, 7 p.m. EST

Governments have only about a decade to make fundamental changes if we are to avoid a catastrophic increase in global temperatures. They need to treat climate change as an emergency, akin to the mobilization we saw in World War II. A broad-based movement that unites the disparate voices of single-issue social movements into a single chorus demanding a just, green transition would impel such emergency action. Coalitions are now emerging among economic justice organizations ,racial justice movements, indigenous rights groups, peace associations, and climate and environmental groups behind some version of a green new deal. What are the chances of success? Hosted by Science for Peace

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/come-together-coalitions-for-a-new-green-deal-tickets-138871613735

_______________________

_______________________

Global Voices and Climate Change

Tues. Feb. 23, 2 p.m. EST

A panel of climate activists from all over the world will discuss the climate emergency and how we can act as a global community.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/global-voices-and-climate-change-tickets-137260755615

_______________________

_______________________

Clean & Renewable - The Path to Sustainable Energy Growth

Tues. Feb. 23, 1:30 - 2:30 p.m. EST

The cost to produce clean energy has fallen significantly in recent years, making it economically competitive with traditional sources of power such as coal. As corporations, investors and the public become increasingly concerned about climate change, clean energy is poised for rapid growth. This webcast will explore challenges, opportunities and next steps in Canada’s shift to a low-carbon energy ecosystem.

https://www.globeandmailevents.com/website/21770/

_______________________

_______________________

Food for the Future: A Discussion on Environment and Food

Tuesday, February 23, 1 p.m. EST

Join our panelists for a discussion on food, agriculture, and climate change to learn more about your food and the environment.

https://www.tcan.ca/events-list/food-for-the-future-a-discussion-on-environment-and-food

_______________________

_______________________

The Far-Right in New Brunswick: A Panel on Extremism and Exclusion

Tues. Feb. 23, 6 p.m. EST

Far-right politics and violence is not only a phenomenon in the US but also in Canada, including in New Brunswick. Join a panel on the latest research on the far-right in New Brunswick and analysis of the nature of extremism and exclusion found in the anti-bilingual rhetoric of last year's provincial election in New Brunswick. This panel is timely as both New Brunswick and Canada begin reviews of legislation on official languages.

https://zoom.us/.../tJApd-iorDMrGdPPueElv1l7Jou4CUDv2m_D

_______________________

_______________________

Nuke Waste in Northwestern Ontario

Wed. Feb. 24, 7 p.m. EST

A closer look at the Nuclear Waste Organization in northwestern Ontario, where they have partnered with the Municipality of Ignace but have targeted the Revell Lake area, 40 km west of Ignace, in the heart of Treaty 3 territory.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_FuAPQBwMRO6YuNOEHAQ-vg

_______________________

_______________________

Seth Klein: Strategies for Effective Climate Action

Wed. Feb. 24, 1 p.m. EST

It’s time we learned the lessons of WW II, and COVID-19, and mobilized to bring about “radical systemic change.” All the machinery of government, the news media, educational institutions, and the public must be focused on the crucial “national task” confronting us.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_g_jDhV_sRHq_UVah_miGFA

_______________________

_______________________

Steering Societies Beyond GDP to the SDGs

Wednesday, February 24, 1:15 - 2:15 p.m. EST

Sixty Minutes with ecological economist and futurist Hazel Henderson will feature green bank executive Ken LaRoe. In 2009, Ken founded First Green Bank, the first bank of its kind to promote positive environmental and social responsibility while operating as a traditional community bank. Now Ken is launching Climate First Bank, starting in St. Petersburg, as a full-service community bank on a mission to positively impact the triple bottom line: people, planet, and prosperity, introducing Values-Based Banking to an unserved community. Join us to learn how Ken's efforts are steering society to SDGs.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/180160890361275663

_______________________

_______________________

What will it take for Canada & US to get to Net Zero

Wed. Feb. 24, 7 p.m. EST

Cross-border perspectives on current climate change legislation and the opportunities they present for workers and the labour movement.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/there-oughta-be-a-law-what-will-it-take-for-canada-us-to-get-to-net-zero-tickets-141058781613

_______________________

_______________________

Black History Month: Between Pride and Protest

Wed. Feb. 24, noon - 1:30 p.m.

This cafe explores how Black History Month both helps and hinders forward movement for the Black community. How much are we talking about current Black Lives vs. the narrowed framing of past leaders with universal appeal (such as Martin Luther King)? How much does the American narrative obscure the specifics of how Black identity is experienced across the border and beyond? How much of the inequity gap have we really closed?

https://animaleadership.com/cafe/

_______________________

_______________________

What Went Wrong - Learning from Past Attempts at Electoral Reform

Wednesday, February 24, 7- 8 pm EST

>From Trudeau’s pledge to end first past the post to referendums in both Ontario and BC, recent electoral reform initiatives in Canada have failed to change our voting systems. Our speakers will discuss the influence of political interests and public opinion, shed light on committees, citizens’ assemblies and referenda used to make decisions, and most vitally, share their views on how to improve our strategies as electoral reform advocates to overcome past obstacles.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/7116131601948/WN_eQn5E0-SQzy2pXVjDbx1EQ

_______________________

_______________________

Fund Home Care NOW: Understanding the Nursing-Home Crisis and Why Home Care is the Solution

Wednesday, Feb. 24, 5:30 p.m. EST

Learn from long-time leaders in the Independent Living and domestic-workers movements and about the intersection of ageism, ableism and racism, and how to take action NOW for freedom + dignity for older adults and people with disabilities.

https://actionnetwork.org/events/fund-home-care-now/

_______________________

_______________________

Canada, NATO and the Threat of Nuclear Weapons

Thursday, February 25, 7 pm

With Tamara Lorincz, member of Canadian Voice of Women for Peace, and discussant Yves Engler, Canada’s foremost foreign policy critic.

https://youtu.be/Hrucs2KgARk

_______________________

_______________________

Fukushima at 10

Thursday, February 25, 8 p.m. EST

With Robert “Bo” Jacobs, an American historian of nuclear technologies and radiation technopolitics. Bo is professor at the Hiroshima Peace Institute and the Graduate School of Peace Studies of Hiroshima City University.  He is devoted to preserving memories of radiation-affected people and revealing the colonialism of Cold War nuclear testing.

http://bit.ly/3kT5TMP

_______________________

_______________________

Youth Climate Action Summit

Thursday, February 25, 4 - 7 p.m. EST

This event includes a digital showcase and a panel: A Just and Green Recovery. A green and inclusive recovery is crucial to the future well-being of our communities, our environment and our planet. What does this look like, who needs to be involved, and how can we make sure it's done right? How are youth involved in shaping and playing a leading role in this recovery? Networking, games, and more!

https://www.tcan.ca/events-list/yci-and-evergreen-present-youth-action-summit

_______________________

_______________________

Life of a Tree February 25

Thur. Feb. 25, 6:30 - 8 p.m. EST

Trees are all around us, but we can overlook the amazing things they do for us every day. Learn about the life cycle of trees and what features can help you decipher a tree’s identity. We will also introduce you to keystone and interesting species that you can find in your neighbourhood.

https://trca.ca/event/life-of-a-tree-4/?instance_id=5886

_______________________

_______________________

A Dish With One Spoon

Thur. Feb. 25, 4 p.m. EST

Join Elder and prolific artist Duke Redbird for a conversation about the Dish with One Spoon Treaty and what it means today.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/redtalk-a-dish-with-one-spoon-tickets-138670775021

_______________________

_______________________

Billionaire or Community Solutions to Climate Chaos?

Thur. Feb. 25, 1 p.m. EST

One of the richest men on earth, Bill Gates, released his vision of climate solutions in his new book. Climate change is one of the crises used by Gates and his Foundation to justify urgent, technocratic “solutions” for altering food systems around the world. In response, we aim to amplify the work of social movements organizing in Seattle and around the world for Climate Justice. To counter top-down, billionaire expertise as the means of solving our world’s most pressing issues, our panelists will present an alternative approach centered on Food Sovereignty, with communities leading the way to a climate just future.

https://cagj.org/civicrm-base-page/?civiwp=CiviCRM&q=civicrm%2Fevent%2Finfo&reset=1&id=175

_______________________

_______________________

Fueling Resistance: The Contentious Political Economy of Biofuels and Fracking

Fri. Feb 26, 3 – 4:30 pm. EST

Join us in celebrating the Launch of Kate J. Neville's book: Fueling Resistance

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/fueling-resistance-book-launch-tickets-139698689541

_______________________

_______________________

Sixty Minutes with Europe's top Climate Action Official

Friday, February 26, 11:30 am - 12:30 p.m. EST

Mauro Petriccione is the Director General for Climate Action, in charge of overseeing the European Green Deal. He'll discuss the challenges Europe faces to meet the net-zero ambitions for 2050, milestones of this journey, the role of government and the private sector, European policies for a climate-friendly post-Covid recovery.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/9095590506583880971

_______________________

_______________________

Dying for an iPhone: Apple, Foxconn, and The Lives of China's Workers

Friday, February 26, 10:30 am EST

As the leading manufacturer of iPhones, iPads, and Kindles, and employing one million workers in China alone, Taiwanese-invested Foxconn’s drive to dominate global electronics manufacturing has aligned perfectly with China’s goal of becoming the world leader in technology. This book reveals the human cost of that ambition and what our demands for the newest and best technology means for workers.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/dying-for-an-iphone-apple-foxconn-and-the-lives-of-chinas-workers-tickets-142105239597

_______________________

_______________________

Symposium: 10 years living with Fukushima

Saturday, Feb. 27

35 years after Chernobyl and 10 years after Fukushima, the medical organization IPPNW (International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War) will take stock of the situation at Fukushima. During a one-day symposium, the most important scientific findings of the last 10 years will be presented and discussed. The effects of the multiple nuclear disasters on the environment and human health will be analysed based on published studies, and specific political demands will be developed.

https://www.fukushima-disaster.de/information-in-english.html

_______________________

_______________________

Fasting for Justice

Sat. Feb. 27, 2 p.m. EST

Fasts and hunger strikes are a time-honored form of political resistance and non-violent protest. Join our webinar to learn more about this powerful tool for justice from those who have used it to campaign against violence, and for prisoner justice, climate action, and demilitarization. We will also announce an upcoming fast in April 2021 to oppose Canada's planned purchase of 88 bomber planes and share information on how you can get involved.

https://actionnetwork.org/events/fasting-for-justice

_______________________

_______________________

Seedy Saturday, Virtually

Saturday, February 27, 10 am - 2 pm EST

This year, Seedy Saturday is going virtual! Join audiences online for engaging workshops and talks to explore the world of plants and urban agriculture in our city. Learn about kickstarting your plants early, ideas for growing plants in spaces of all sizes, where to access seeds and how to keep your plants healthy. Tune in to workshops throughout the day to get your garden started early.

http://seedysaturday.ca/toronto/

_______________________

_______________________

Farmers’ Protest: Resistance & Repression in India

Sun. Feb. 28, 3 - 5 p.m. EST

Millions of people have been moved into action as farmers in India resist the far right BJP government of Narendra Modi. Last year, Modi pushed through 3 agricultural laws that will further impoverish India’s farmers and farming communities. Join us as we draw inspiration from the mass movement, assess the political terrain, and share lessons.

https://springmag.ca/event/farmers-protest-resistance-repression-in-india

_______________________

_______________________

Kitchen Table Climate Conversation Webcast Series

Mon. March 1, 7 - 9 p.m. EST

Some of the most important subjects are the most difficult to talk about. This 1st in a 4-part series focuses on brining people together.  With Kitchen Table Climate Conversations (KTCC’s), we support you in reaching out and gathering people round your virtual table for an open but structured conversation about climate justice.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/part-1-bringing-people-together-registration-133651580475

_______________________

_______________________

Impacts and Challenges of Plastic Pollution Facing the Great Lakes Basin

Mon. March 1, 1 p.m.

Studies in the Great Lakes basin are showing an ever-increasing presence and impacts associated with plastic pollution. Solving this problem will require a binational response. Unfortunately, the U.S. and Canadian governments responsible for protecting the health of the Great Lakes Basin have not yet worked together to address this cross-basin problem. On the contrary, at the end of last year, the two federal governments took an action that is likely to make the risk greater. On this webinar, you will learn about this new Canada-U.S. arrangement.

Register: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0pfu-vqzgtHNxl3KTu6PvszZh3zm0OhnsJ

For more information:  https://cela.ca/impacts-and-challenges-of-plastic-pollution-facing-the-great-lakes-basin/

_______________________

_______________________

The Arrest of Meng Wanzhou & the New Cold War on China

Mon. March 1, 7 p.m. EST

Hearings in the extradition trial of Meng Wanzhou, CFO of Huawei, are scheduled to resume March 1. Her arrest was a colossal blunder by the Trudeau Government, motivated by Trump's political, economic, and security ambitions to create a new cold war with China. Our panelists will discuss the alarming rise of Sinophobia and anti-Chinese rhetoric in Canada.

https://actionnetwork.org/events/newcoldwaronchina

_______________________

_______________________

War Abolition 101: How We Create a Peaceful World (online course)

March 1 - April 11

War Abolition 101 is a six week-online course providing participants an opportunity to learn from, dialogue with, and strategize for change with World BEYOND War experts, peer activists, and changemakers from around the world. How can we make the best argument for shifting from war to peace? What must we understand and know about the war system if we are to dismantle it? How can we become more effective advocates and activists for ending particular wars, ending all wars, pursuing disarmament, and creating systems that maintain peace?

https://actionnetwork.org/ticketed_events/warabolition101/

_______________________

_______________________

#NoWar2021 Virtual Conference: From Weapons Fairs to War Zones: Unraveling the War Machine

June 4 - 6

Register now.

https://nowar2021.worldbeyondwar.org/register/

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - my source for global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/