Greenspiration News & Events: Canada's carbon problem

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Apr 5 11:30:04 EDT 2021

Cycling is ten times more important than electric cars for reaching net-zero cities

One way to reduce transport emissions quickly and globally is to swap cars for cycling, e-biking and walking. Active travel can contribute to tackling the climate emergency earlier than electric vehicles while also providing affordable, reliable, clean, healthy and congestion-busting transportation.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/cycling-ten-times-more-important-145904315.html

Bill McKibben on trillion-dollar successes of divestment movement, and Canada's carbon problem - 60 min. interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEzVzyPJbeg

Biden is getting real about fossil fuels

Three major things Canada should learn about President Biden’s astoundingly ambitious climate emergency plan:

Big lesson #1: Put climate change at the centre of government decision-making

Big Lesson #2: Cut fossil fuel production

Big lesson #3: Make environmental justice the mission of every federal agency

https://policyoptions.irpp.org/magazines/february-2021/its-not-about-canada-biden-is-getting-real-about-fossil-fuels/

Small nuclear power plants no use in climate crisis

Governments are investing in a new range of small nuclear power plants, with little chance they’ll ease the climate crisis.

https://www.eco-business.com/news/small-nuclear-power-plants-no-use-in-climate-crisis/

Introducing The Breach

Journalism for transformation

https://breachmedia.ca/#about

Mind Abuse: Media Violence and its Threat to Democracy

http://blackrosebooks.net/products/view/Mind+Abuse%3A+Media+Violence+and+its+Threat+to+Democracy/84167

No New Fighter Jets - Stop the $77+ Billion Fighter Jet Purchase

The Canadian gov't has launched a competition for 88 new fighter jets, at a cost of at least $77 billion over the lifespan of the jets. This fighter jet procurement is the second most expensive procurement in Canadian history, diverting precious public funds to devastating weaponry and away from needed environmental and social programs such as affordable housing and a Green New Deal.  Say no here.

https://actionnetwork.org/letters/no-new-fighter-jets-invest-in-a-just-recovery-and-a-green-new-deal

Messiah/Complex

A timeless piece of music with a distinctly Canadian twist. Free April 1 - 13

https://againstthegraintheatre.ticketleap.com/messiahcomplex/

Canada's First Basic Income Bill: C-273

Sign the petition

https://www.ubiworks.ca/basicincomebill

Trans Mountain pipeline expansion will lead to $11.9B in losses for Canada, study says

SFU team says several factors mean project should be shelved

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-trans-mountain-losses-sfu-study-1.5970802

Gorilla Radio with Angela Bischoff talkin' Ontario nukes, gas and renewables

http://www.gorilla-radio.com/2021/03/31/gorilla-radio-chris-cook-angela-bischoff-robbie-leppzer-april-1-2021/

CNSC must immediately ensure Pickering Nuclear is safe to operate

Ask Prez. Velshi to put a moratorium on the continued operation of the Pickering Nuclear Station until OPG has demonstrated, at a public hearing, that the risk to public safety from its continued operation is acceptable.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/safety/

Seaspiracy examines the global fishing industry, challenging notions of sustainable fishing and showing how human actions cause widespread environmental destruction.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q5CXN7soQg

On Netflix

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

Palestine Solidarity: Why the NDP Convention Matters

Mon. April 5, 7 p.m. EST

Join Libby Davies, Svend Robinson, Zahia El-Masri, Hammam Farah & David Mivasair for a discussion on the importance of Palestine solidarity in the NDP. Hosted by Canadian Foreign Policy Institute

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_w9EFGkIfQnaljwzQef-D0g

_______________________

_______________________

Solve Climate by 2030

Wed. April 7, 2:30 - 4 pm EDT

Celebrating youth activism and science-based decision making for climate solutions. Ryerson is excited to bring this international initiative to Toronto by hosting an interdisciplinary conversation about climate justice in our community. We encourage students and concerned individuals of all ages to attend.

http://www.ryerson.ca/SC2030

_______________________

_______________________

The Wow (and How) of Shareholder Season - A Guide for Activists How to hold corporations accountable for climate chaos

Wed. April 7, 3 pm. EST

Come learn how our grassroots pressure can have an outsized impact on moving big corporations to protect human rights and to decarbonize meaningfully and rapidly.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_i1Z6ip6jQVGZuhj6b1Rk1g

_______________________

_______________________

Creative Solutions for a New World - Climate & Artists Series

Apr. 7, 21, May 5, 19, 2 p.m. EST

Free Bi-Weekly Webinar Series. On CreativelyUnited.org you will, find free-of-charge, a multitude of positive and simple solutions, videos, and resources. You can contribute your own ideas, tips, book and movie reviews, music, art and information to our Community Blog. Together we can all make a difference to lighten our footprint and help re-balance our world.

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/2716098828503/WN_PGSr6F8pQ7CIhOR6MkBOgQ?timezone_id=America%2FNew_York

_______________________

_______________________

Biden Outshines Trudeau on Climate

Thur. April 8, 1 p.m. EST

Join us for a first-hand look at Biden’s climate actions, and the groups that are pushing him to act. Since becoming president, he’s rejoined the Paris Accord, cancelled Keystone XL, appointed a domestic climate policy person and an international one.  He’s directed federal agencies to purchase carbon-free electricity and zero-emission vehicles. And there’s much more! In other words, he’s doing what Canada should be doing. Our guests are both on the US frontlines, and can give us some real, rare insights.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Lbpyo0qgQTK-B_2fIOTDTw

_______________________

_______________________

How Climate Won in the US Election: Lessons for Canada

Thur. April 8, noon EST

In this hour-long session, panelists will unpack how the climate movement and the Biden-Harris team wove together economic recovery, Covid response, racial equity and climate change into a winning narrative strategy and lessons learned for Canadian communicators.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Kx7njEdxQjO4bb5nJR6eeg

_______________________

_______________________

How to Balcony Garden and Eat Fresh Every Day

Thursday, April 8, 7 p.m.

Learn about container gardening, common mistakes, how to get the most out of a small space and more.

https://www.miinikaan.com/webinar

_______________________

_______________________

Global Just Recovery Gathering

April 9-11

Join in this free 3-day online event featuring interactive workshops, cultural sessions, and hands-on trainings. Build your skills, strengthen relationships, and hear from a powerful line-up of climate leaders, artists, and musicians in every corner of the world. Join us in designing a new path towards a better future for all.

https://justrecoverygathering.org/

_______________________

_______________________

PR 101

Sat. April 10, 7 p.m. EST

Are you new to electoral reform and want to get up to speed on the basics of the campaign for proportional representation? What is proportional representation? Why do we need it? How do the two most popular systems recommended in Canada - Mixed Member Proportional (MMP) and Single Transferable Vote (PR-STV) - actually work? With Dennis Pilon, Associate Professor at York University and Canadian electoral reform expert and author.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_-vWfuXJiSLCpUU-DJhW2rg

_______________________

_______________________

Fast to Stop the Jets

Sat. and Sun. April 10 - 11

Across Canada, public fasts and vigils will honour those who have been killed by Canadian war planes and reject Canada’s plans to buy 88 new bomber jets. Fast on your own or join a public event in Toronto, Halifax, Ottawa, Vancouver, or Langley.

https://nofighterjets.ca/fast/

_______________________

_______________________

Kitchen Table Climate Conversation Webcast Series

Mon. April 12, 7 - 9 p.m.

Some of the most important subjects are the most difficult to talk about. This 4th in a 4-part series focuses on Collective Courage - How to approach and build engaging conversations for different circles. Taking action and working together: Hear stories and tips about actions, working collaboratively and methods of engagement, including civic engagement. With Kitchen Table Climate Conversations (KTCC’s), we support you in reaching out and gathering people round your virtual table for an open but structured conversation about climate justice.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/part-4-collective-courage-registration-133877084965

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/