Greenspiration News & Events: Devout and Dangerous

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun May 2 23:41:47 EDT 2021

To meet our emissions target, Canada must phase out oil production

It's time to acknowledge the challenge and start discussing how the rest of Canada can financially support Albertans and Saskatchewanians to make the transition.

https://rabble.ca/news/2021/04/meet-our-emissions-target-canada-must-phase-out-oil-production

Ontario Ring of Fire Equivalent to Tar Sands of Alberta

The Canadian gov’t's environmental assessment is the thin green line for the attempt by the ecocidal government of Premier Doug Ford to put a dent in one of the world's biggest refrigerators at a time of calamitous global warming. This risks turning 35 billion tonnes of cooling peat into a greenhouse gas emitter, spewing forth methane.

https://www.sierraclub.ca/en/node/3755

Climate Alliance 101

Under our broken voting system, a Green-NDP Climate Emergency Alliance is our best chance to win bold climate action like a made-in-Canada Green New Deal. View the toolkit and/or attend a virtual gathering to present the case for a Climate Emergency Alliance.

https://climatealliance.ca/101s/

Introducing the Climate Emergency Unit

We need to move at a speed and scale not seen since the Second World War. We can mobilize again & we know how. A joint initiative of Seth Klein and David Suzuki Institute.

https://www.climateemergencyunit.ca/

Should Canada leave NATO? Yes

It’s time for Canada to leave NATO. Our country should work co-operatively and peacefully with the international community through the UN system on disarmament, and achieving the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals, which will provide genuine security for all of us.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/the-saturday-debate/2021/05/01/the-saturday-debate-should-canada-leave-nato.html

Tell Ottawa: No Funding for new nuclear reactors

Small Modular Reactors are a dirty, dangerous distraction from climate action.

https://cleanairalliance.org/smr/smraction.html

Supporting Frontline Women in India – Contribute if you can

We, the International Gandhian Institute for Nonviolence and Peace Canada  (IGINP Canada), in association with Mahatma Gandhi Seva Ashram  (MGSA) and the Women’s Wing of Ekta Parishad, are providing immediate relief to migrant, landless and marginalized communities in 4 Indian states, supporting their efforts in arranging alternative make-shift healthcare and community facilities for those severely affected by the overflooded hospitals.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/supporting-frontline-women-in-india

Toronto Cycle

If you want to see more bike facilities, please subscribe to Toronto Cycle's newsletter for all the cycling events and news. And because they're member supported, please join them! Here's their latest newsletter.

https://www.cycleto.ca/civicrm/mailing/view?reset=1&id=3692

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

How to Phone Bank for Our City

Tuesday, May 4 - 6 p.m. EST

Learn how to phone bank from home using our online tool and best practices on helping people take action for a better city.

https://www.progresstoronto.ca/spring-training-series-may-4-2021

_______________________

_______________________

The Berrigans: Devout and Dangerous

Film screening and discussion

Tuesday, May 4, 7:30 pm EST

Fr. Daniel Berrigan, SJ, Phillip Berrigan, and Elizabeth McAlister engaged in nonviolent, civil disobedience in the cause of peace and nuclear disarmament and were often arrested.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/inaugural-berrigan-mcalister-award-tickets-147618327391

_______________________

_______________________

The SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals) Youth Training Program

May 4 & May 5

The SDGs Launch educates youth about the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and gives them the skills and training to mobilize around them. On September 25, 2015, 193 countries unanimously adopted the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by framing their agendas and political policies over the next 15 years to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure prosperity for all.

https://www.sdgslaunch.com/university-of-toronto

_______________________

_______________________

Green Energy, Green Mining, Green New Deal?

Wed. May 5, 2 p.m. EST

The mining sector is working hard to take advantage of the climate crisis, painting mining as "green" because it supplies materials needed to support the green energy transition. But unless demand for both energy and materials are curtailed, environmental destruction and social conflicts will also continue to grow. How can a "Green New Deal" address this contradiction?

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ANvnhkccRJSGiPGXW6Npfw

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Change is heating up...

Wed. May 5, 7:30 p.m. EST

Wild forest fires, floods, catastrophic weather events, climate refugees. We know the problem is critical and existential but sometimes feel overwhelmed and powerless. There is still time to change course—and a clear path on how to do it! Panelists Seth Klein, Alicia Richins & Peter Tabuns discuss the Green New Deal to address our climate crisis. Hosted by Cinema Politica.

https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIpcemtqj8vE904m0kmug0yL351v2DSJ298

_______________________

_______________________

The Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan and the Climate Crisis

Wed. May 5, 8 - 9:30 p.m. EST

Workshop for members of the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan to learn about your pension fund’s approach to the financial risks of climate change and fossil fuel investments, and what it means for your retirement savings.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-ontario-teachers-pension-plan-and-the-climate-crisis-tickets-148065474821

_______________________

_______________________

Transit Townhall for Wheel-Trans users, people with disabilities, & seniors

Wed. May 5, 6 p.m. EST

Community townhall to share your accessibility concerns with fares and payment options. Hosted by TTCRiders.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/transit-townhall-for-wheel-trans-users-people-with-disabilities-seniors-tickets-151800063075

_______________________

_______________________

Lessons from London

Wed. May 5, noon EST

The BreatheEasy Project is excited to present this webinar focused on the history of air pollution in London, England, how they are tackling it and what we can learn from them for Ottawa and the rest of Canada. With Dr Gary Fuller, air pollution scientist at Imperial College London.

https://www.sierraclub.ca/en/civicrm/event/info

_______________________

_______________________

A Green-NDP One-Time Alliance for Climate

Wed. May 5, 1 p.m. EST

Real action on the climate crisis MUST be the result of the next federal election. We can’t wait for Trudeau to start governing like we’re in a climate emergency.  And the NDP and Greens haven’t built enough power to form government. 350.org and their allies have launched the Climate Emergency Alliance.  They want Green Party Leader Annamie Paul and NDP leader Jagmeet Singh to set aside their partisan differences. Both parties must pledge that, in ridings where one has a chance of winning and the other is in third or fourth place, the trailing candidate will stand down and support the other. Would such an alliance work?  Should it even be tried?  Join us next week to look at the pros and cons.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_DyAsjkdVSAOJrn6YzRxnPg

_______________________

_______________________

Stop the Big Sprawl: Defeating Ontario's Sprawl Agenda at Your City or Regional Council

Thur. May 6, 7 p.m. EST

Unless we push back hard and fast, large swathes of the GTA's remaining farmland, wetlands and woodlands will be swallowed up by car-dependent sprawl. Join our expert panel to learn how to make a winning case for fixed urban boundaries and defeat The Big Sprawl in your community.

https://act.environmentaldefence.ca/page/81252/petition/1

_______________________

_______________________

#DefundLine3 Virtual Action

Fri. May 7, 7 – 8 p.m. PT

Line 3 is a pipeline built in 1960 running from Edmonton, Alberta to Superior, Wyoming and its replacement is currently under construction. Line 3 is a climate disaster. Join us as we fight Line 3 on the #DefundLine3 day of action! We will have a small teach in before doing some virtual actions.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/defundline3-virtual-action-tickets-153229041187

_______________________

_______________________

Voice of Women for Peace Awards

Sat. May 8, 7 - 8:30 p.m. EST

Join us in recognition of outstanding women in Canada working to make the world a better place.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMpf-CprD0iGdKLONZ89CxdW968w3yvHw8K

More info: https://vowpeace.org/peace-awards/

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/