Greenspiration News & Events: Seeking justice

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun May 16 23:33:42 EDT 2021

Canada pegs its energy future on nuclear power, but not everyone's buying it

“It’s important to remember that these technologies basically don’t exist yet. They’re at a very early stage in development. They are speculative technologies. It will take at least a decade to get them off the drawing board and then it will take much longer than that to find out if they work.”

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2021/05/12/news/canada-energy-future-nuclear-not-everyones-buying-it

Roundtable on Canada's Nuclear Policy

Brilliant overview of Canada's foray into SMRs (small modular nuclear reactors) with Dr. Susan O’Donnell, University of N.B. and Dr. Gordon Edwards, Canadian Coalition for Nuclear Responsibility. 45 min. recording.

https://www.facebook.com/6954922243/videos/934857067289154

Tell Ottawa: No Funding for SMRs

Small Modular Nuclear Reactors are a dirty, dangerous distraction from climate action.

https://cleanairalliance.org/smr/smraction.html

Say no to a new nuclear reactor in the GTA

Stand up for public safety and say “no” to OPG’s request for a new nuclear reactor in the GTA.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/gtareactor/

How Doug Ford ignored science to dismantle Ontario’s climate plans

So far, our so-called “Made-in-Ontario” Plan has cost twice as much as the federal carbon tax and has made next to no progress in cutting emissions. In fact, carbon emissions are going up across Ontario.

https://www.greenpeace.org/canada/en/story/47940/how-doug-ford-ignored-science-to-dismantle-ontarios-climate-plans/

Enbridge’s claims about a Line 5 shutdown need to be challenged

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2021/05/10/enbridges-claims-about-a-line-5-shutdown-need-to-be-challenged.html

Tell Health Canada: Demand mandatory GMO safety assessments

Health Canada is proposing to allow some GMOs (genetically modified organisms) into our food system without any government safety assessments – these would be unregulated GMOs that the government may not even know exist. Send a message here.

https://cban.ca/take-action/no-exemptions/

War and the Environment

June 7 - July 18

Online course hosted by World Beyond War. Grounded in research on peace and ecological security, this course focusses on the relationship between two existential threats: war and environmental catastrophe.

https://actionnetwork.org/ticketed_events/war-and-the-environment-june-7-july-18-2021-online-course-registration

_______________________

_______________________

How Canada can Reach its Climate Targets & Goals, & Be an Effective Climate Leader

Best Practices in the UK: What Can Canada Learn from the UK?

Monday May 17, 11 am EST

With Professor Corinne Le Quéré FRS CBE is Royal Society Research Professor of Climate Change Science at the University of East Anglia, and former Director of the Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research. She Chairs France's High Council on Climate and is the Lead for Climate Science as a member of the UK Committee on Climate Change.

https://ucalgary.zoom.us/j/97425232786

Meeting ID: 974 2523 2786

Passcode: 676238

_______________________

_______________________

Seeking Justice Together

May 17 - 20

Join justice-minded Christians from across the country as we explore how we are called to seek justice together through intersectional, interpersonal, and interconnected approaches. Speakers and facilitators will address issues of racism, Indigenous/settler reconciliation, 2SLGBTQQIA+ rights, disability rights, poverty in Canada, climate justice, and refugee rights. Hosted by Citizens for Public Justice.

https://cpj.ca/seeking-justice-together/

_______________________

_______________________

A Global Climate Accountability Act: What Would It Look Like?

With Green MP Elizabeth May

Tues. May 18, 7 p.m. EST

Canada's draft Climate Accountability Act is just one of many popping up around the globe. But what does the world need to enforce its global climate agreements?

https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUkd-mtrDwqGdKbhsVIiK_istC67t0AqCx7

For more on Canada's Climate Accountability Act, see this recording with E. May https://youtu.be/sSAbwi2GTKU

And add your voice here: https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/6341173/Bill-C12

_______________________

_______________________

UK High-Level Climate Action Champion virtual visit to Canada

Tues. May 18, 1:15 p.m. ET

Climate Action Network will speak with guest Nigel Topping - the UK Government High-Level Climate Action Champion for COP26 - about increasing climate ambition in times of recovery. During this conversation, Nigel Topping will present the UK Presidency's vision for COP26, in particular for non-state actors.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_MQYOS7ocQ--1psLP20VuYg

_______________________

_______________________

Land Governance: Towards a More Just Future — understanding the 'land back' movement

Tues. May 18, 3 p.m. EST

A conversation about Indigenous rights and responsibilities to help better understand the root causes of conflicts over land use and resource extraction in Canada. This webinar will examine Indigenous sovereignty, jurisdiction and the concept of “land back” in Canada. We highly recommend watching the first two videos in our “Land Back” series before the webinar.

Past: https://youtu.be/3sVg0Cvqh3k

Present: https://youtu.be/UsyyYeVHGJ0

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_p9c6oSbSTe6PNPdsGhW0Ew

_______________________

_______________________

Do Nuclear and SMRs Have a Place in a Climate Crisis?

With Angela Bischoff, Ontario Clean Air Alliance and Gordon Edwards, Canadian Coalition for Nuclear Responsibility

Wed. May 19, 1 p.m. EST

The Trudeau government and four provinces support the costly production of Small Modular Reactors (SMRs). SMRs aren’t even functional yet.  In fact, our tax dollars will help develop them.  This is money that could go toward renewables that are cheaper, safer, more reliable, and available now! High-profile accidents, radioactive mine tailings and waste, and potential bomb production obviously don’t concern certain politicians, and business interests. Find out why we have to stop nukes, large and small.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_f_GaplIjT6C4ZFsenthHZg

_______________________

_______________________

Solved: A Conversation with David Miller

Wednesday, May 19, 7:30 - 9 pm EST

Former Toronto mayor, past CEO of the World Wildlife Foundation and current Director of the C40 Cities Leadership Group, David Miller will discuss his book Solved and the role of cities and local communities in solving climate change. Co-sponsored by St Aidan's and Beach United Church.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88178295533?pwd=UzFKTFdOd1dWVXh5eEhVTkpzeHdxZz09

_______________________

_______________________

How future-friendly are Canadian provinces?

Wed. May 19, 1 p.m. EST

To unpack the findings of a new net-zero provincial report card and discuss the path forward for building a coalition of net-zero committed provinces, join Corporate Knights and a diverse panel of voices from the front lines of policy and climate research to highlight what provinces and territories can learn from each other, and map out the big opportunities to unify Canada on climate action.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_v7Jrut7eRFmEvVZ-bIR9-w

_______________________

_______________________

Bees for Peace

Wed. May 19, 3 - 5 p.m.

Bees for Peace promotes pollinator protection through faith communities and humanitarian organizations. Bees for Peace seeks to establish blooming feeding sites for pollinators at houses of worship. These feeding sites form a “peace network,” as bees, imagined as peace ambassadors, visit the various feeding sites, thereby uniting disparate communities through this cross-pollination. This talk begins with an analysis of Bees for Peace in its pilot phase in Cologne, then opens up into a community discussion about how the project might find roots in Toronto and contribute to the important work of pollinator protection in the city.

https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJItdeqtqzsvHdGdXgJ3AARrPCIyHmsSfabp

_______________________

_______________________

SolarTO: Going Solar in Toronto

Wed, May 19, 7 p.m. ET

Are you interested in using solar panels to generate your own clean electricity? The City's SolarTO team offers free preliminary assessments to Toronto home and building owners to determine solar feasibility. Learn more about this technology and how it could work for you by signing up for this free webinar, hosted by Live Green and SolarTO.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/solarto-going-solar-in-toronto-tickets-152406264239

_______________________

_______________________

Urban Harvest Food Preservation Series

Wed. May 19, 26 and June 2, 1 - 3 p.m. ET

In this 3-week Food Preservation Series you will learn about the basic principles and food safety rules in canning, explore different methods to preserve food and become familiar with using basic tools and equipment needed for home canning. For more information and to pre-register, email mildreda at blackcreekfarm.ca

_______________________

_______________________

Civic Life: Food Insecurity in the City

Wed. May 19, 6:30 p.m. ET

What does food insecurity look like in the City of Toronto? Join our panel of experts from Black Creek Farm and community organizers as we discuss the current measures of insecurity including the use of food boxes, community gardens and local efforts.

https://www.crowdcast.io/e/civic-life-food/register

_______________________

_______________________

Ontario’s Electricity Future: Nuclear, gas or renewables?

Thur. May 20, 7 – 8 p.m. EST

With Angela Bischoff of the Ontario Clean Air Alliance. Ontario is moving forward with rebuilding 10 aging nuclear reactors, building new SMRs, and ramping up gas 500%, all while cancelling renewables and conservation programs. Can we meet our electricity needs with 100% renewable power? Learn how. Hosted by the Spadina-Fort York Greens.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://zoom.us/j/97373035943?pwd=RTFkR2JmU0kySnJPM1dVYXk2V3M1Zz09&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw0U6kgJ2hrIR-ByVEeA0Vow

_______________________

_______________________

A Good War: Mobilizing Canada for the Climate Emergency

With author Seth Klein in Conversation

Thur. May 20, 7 p.m. EST

What if we treated the climate crisis like a war? How would our response to the threat change? Would we succeed in defeating the opponent? With Canada’s National Observer.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_-OYIwczgR4iI80OGKh9dbw

_______________________

_______________________

Global echoes for a Green New Deal—Where do we start from?

– book presentation – panel discussion – website launch

Thur. May 20, 9 a.m. EST

The various Green New Deal proposals that have emerged around the world are among the few concrete proposals on how the transformation to a climate-friendly and socially just society could take place. They have succeeded in creating a new narrative that moves beyond warnings of catastrophe to nurture hope of opportunities for action: a narrative of what a good future worth living in could look like. But what steps are necessary on the way there?

More info: www.rosalux.eu/global-echoes-for-a-green-new-deal

Register now: https://bit.ly/3bk3k4B

_______________________

_______________________

How to save the world’s forests

Thur. May 20, noon ET

ClimateVentures in conversation with Nicole Rycroft, founder of environmental not-for-profit Canopy and winner of the US$3M 2020 Climate Breakthrough Award. Canopy works with the forest industry’s biggest customers and their suppliers to develop business solutions that protect ancient and endangered forests around the globe.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/cv-conversations-nicole-rycroft-of-canopy-tickets-146490704641

_______________________

_______________________

Women Resisting Extractivism Film Club

Thur. May 20, 7 p.m. ET

Mother Earth and Resource Extraction: Women Defending Land and Water (MERE Hub) is a digital platform on the gendered impacts of resource extraction, created for and in consultation with women land defenders from across the globe who are mobilizing around large-scale resource extraction. “Firewater Thunderbird Rising” is a performance that is an emotional and powerful journey to understand the historical effects that alcohol has had on our people creating a truth that pierces through the darkness of addiction rooted in fear to reveal a path towards healing that is directly connected to the land.

https://www.kairoscanada.org/event/women-resisting-extractivism-film-club-session-4

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/