Greenspiration News & Events: It's Summertime!

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Jun 28 10:47:50 EDT 2021

Hello Greenspiration friends. I'm taking a break from my Greenspiration newsletter for the summer. May you have a beautiful summer with quality time in nature, lots of local organic fruits and veggies, plenty of exercise, social activity, good health and political engagement. See you in Sept.

-angela

4 Hopeful Lessons from WW2 to Confront Climate Change

The climate emergency requires acting at a speed and scale not seen since the Second World War. This 6 min. video explains 4 key lessons from Canada's Second World War mobilization that need to be applied to Canada's climate response today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUJw5cLyfEk

Climate Emergency Unit

Now is the time to sound the alarm, jump-start a grand transition and mobilize Canada for the climate emergency.

https://www.climateemergencyunit.ca/

Collective Push in Canada for International Moratorium on Deep Seabed Mining

Sign the parliamentary petition calling on the Gov't of Canada to support international calls for a moratorium on deep seabed mining (DSM). DSM is an emerging industry that seeks to mine metals such as cobalt, manganese, nickel, and copper from the seafloor.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-3483

New bill aims to force Canada to tackle ‘systemic’ environmental racism

C-230 would require government to study effect of pollution and industry on marginalized people but conservatives could sink plan.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/22/canada-bill-government-environmental-racism

Study rates Canadian governments on conservation - A for Quebec, F for Alberta

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/quebec-f-alberta-study-rates-060500013.html

Clean Energy Will Create More Jobs by 2030 than Fossil Industry Will Lose, New Analysis Shows

https://www.theenergymix.com/2021/06/25/clean-energy-creates-more-jobs-by-2030-than-fossil-industry-will-lose-new-analysis-shows/

Building New Renewables Cheaper Than Running Fossil Fuel Plants

According to a new Bloomberg report, it’s now cheaper to build and operate new large-scale wind or solar plants in nearly half the world than it would be to run an existing coal or gas-fired power plant.

https://financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/building-new-renewables-cheaper-than-running-fossil-fuel-plants

Ecocide has got a legal definition: International Panel convenes definition of ecocide as crime

https://www.rightsofnaturetribunal.org/ecocide-definition/

Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty - Step it up Toronto

The City of Toronto may join Vancouver, Los Angeles and Barcelona in endorsing the campaign for a Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty https://fossilfueltreaty.org .  Send a letter to T.O. Mayor and your Councillor to express your support. Sample letter here: http://www.climatefast.ca/Act-Now

Why We Need a Treaty to End Fossil Fuels - 5 min. video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0chj3XaDhU&t=3s

Watch the Toronto launch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZFpS2KQFHE&t=1028s

Tell Ontario: NO to a new nuclear reactor in the GTA and YES to renewables

www.NoGTAreactor.ca

Tell Ottawa: no more funding for new nuclear reactors

Once again, the federal government is planning to waste taxpayers dollars on a new nuclear technology which is far more hype than substance.

https://cleanairalliance.org/smr/smraction.html

Welcome to Re-useful

We collect small household items in T.O. to help you ethically declutter and hold corporations responsible for the waste that they make.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vRC7gxt9PIPn-qiGStKy7DGqwhGPv0uK4XifSFGWkZXBgPM5xc6EU7amNVWSk0nq-xPp88pfrH5BLNF/pub

5 Reasons to Ditch your Dryer

https://www.greenamerica.org/green-living/ditch-your-dryer

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

The Atom: A Love Affair

-- Panel Discussion with UK film producer/director and Canadians working for a nuclear-free future

Mon. June 28, 7 p.m. EST

Canada has supported the nuclear industry since the 1940’s. From coast to coast to coast we now have a stockpile of toxic radioactive tailings from uranium mines to nuclear sites all along the nuclear fuel chain. Seventy years later we’re still searching for a long-term solution to store the deadly waste which will need to be isolated from the environment for a million years. And now industry is begging for more taxpayer hand-outs to build out more nuclear reactors – SMNRs (small modular nuclear reactors). Learn why this should concern you and what the alternatives are. Free.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-atom-a-love-affair-post-film-panel-discussion-tickets-157669665213

-- Watch the Film

Until July 4

The Atom: A Love Affair tells the inside story of how we got here over seven eventful decades. Capturing both the tantalizing promise and the repeated disappointments, the film reveals how the post-war, romantic fantasy of an atom-powered future developed into the stormy, on-off relationship still playing out today. This is the turbulent story of the West's love-hate relationship with nuclear power over the past 70 years. 90 minutes. $10.

https://watch.showandtell.film/watch/atom-film-canada

_______________________

_______________________

Doughnut Economics

Mon. June 28, 1 p.m. EST

Join ecological economist and futurist, Hazel Henderson, in a 60 min. dialogue with Kate Raworth an English economist working for the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge. Kate is known for her work on 'doughnut economics, an economic model that balances between essential human needs and planetary boundaries.  Her work shows how we can break our addiction to growth; redesign money, finance, and business to be in service to people; and create economies that are regenerative and distributive by design.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/7772688904284812556

_______________________

_______________________

How to be a Father During a Climate Emergency

Monday, June 28, 7- 8 p.m.

Fathers, grandfathers and guardians are an integral part of climate change action. Join David Suzuki and three other fathers working on climate change action in their communities to discuss How To Be A Father During A Climate Emergency.

https://www.forourkids.ca/doortodads

_______________________

_______________________

Society’s Global Appetite for Technology Accelerates Climate Change and E-Wastes

Tuesday, June 29, 1:15 - 2:45 p.m. EST

While the technology sector is making strides to address the environmental and social impacts of their products, there continues to be sourcing from conflict zones, worker exposure to toxic substances during the manufacturer and assembly processes and unacceptable labor and human rights behaviors throughout the supply chain. Learn how sustainable purchasing practices can accelerate the technology industry’s pathway to net zero energy and planet friendlier products and waste management practices.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/9126082165690139151

_______________________

_______________________

The Condor and the Eagle

Tues. June 29, 7 p.m. EST

Watch this special screening of the Condor and the Eagle to learn what is being done to disrupt the oil industry and to listen to Indigenous voices as they rally to save our planet.

https://event.webinarjam.com/register/200/5v0qvaoo

_______________________

_______________________

Energy Equity: Using Energy Efficiency to Fight Energy Poverty in Canada

Tues. June 29, 3 p.m. EST

Applying an equity/justice lens to energy efficiency solutions to address energy poverty.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYtdeqvqj8jHNBJcrnqBWABhm8SNbLkYgpB

_______________________

_______________________

Random Acts of Green - Intersectional Environmentalism 101

Wed. June 30, 11:30 a.m. EST

Join us as we work to provide an introductory presentation about the intersections between race, culture, and the environment.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/random-acts-of-green-intersectional-environmentalism-101-tickets-158606541435

_______________________

_______________________

Water be Dammed

Wed. July 7, 3 p.m. EST

This documentary shows that by not following the four pillars of water sustainability – science, economics, governance and spiritual connections – we have damned one of our most precious resources. Through the lens of the Satluj river in Punjab, India, the film traces the story of challenges, hopes and aspirations of water’s will to survive and rejuvenate.

https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIqce-pqD4uGdeunpTTsegQYhHPZr0nvrCq

_______________________

_______________________

Society’s Global Appetite for Technology Accelerates Climate Change and E-Waste

Thur. July 8, 1:15 - 2:45 p.m. EST

This webinar will address how sustainable purchasing practices can accelerate the technology industry’s pathway to net zero energy and planet friendlier products and waste management practices.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/9126082165690139151

_______________________

_______________________

Music and Dance from India and Canada/US - Solidarity Event

Sat. July 10, 5 - 7:30 pm EST

Six artists will perform to raise funds for Frontline Women Workers for Covid Relief in India for medical and food relief due to the pandemic. Hosted by IGINP Canada in tandem with Jai Jagat International and Ekta Parishad in India.

The zoom link is: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82460142653?pwd=RXpNeWtFdGhRR252WEE0YUVPVS9yQT09

Passcode: jaijagat

_______________________

_______________________

The Challenge and Promise of Regenerative Agriculture

Mon. July 12, 7 pm EST

We examine the food system as a source of carbon emissions but also how agriculture can be a climate solution.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/groundwork-transforming-the-food-system-tickets-161279261613

_______________________

_______________________

Bridging the Rural Urban Divide: Growing our Future Together

Mon. Aug. 9, 7 - 8:30 p.m. EST

We examine the food system as a source of carbon emissions but also how agriculture can be a climate solution.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/food-land-climate-groundwork-for-change-tickets-156982233085

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/