No Nukes News: Oh Canada

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Sep 20 14:26:42 EDT 2021

View this email in your browser

Share
Tweet

The World
☢ Federal party positions: Should new nuclear reactors be part of a climate action plan?

☢ Liberals, NDP and Greens call for zero-carbon national electricity grid

☢ How do the five main federal parties' #climate plans stack up? Compare and contrast issues like #Nuclear, #CarbonPricing, #Emissions targets, and more. #elxn44 #cdnpoli

☢ Federal Candidates Support Potentially Impacted Communities Having Say in Nuclear Waste Siting Citizens’ groups concerned about the threat of nuclear waste transportation and burial in Northern Ontario are encouraged by the response of federal election candidates across the region to questions about community consent and transparency.

☢ Some candidates oppose radioactive waste dump near the Ottawa River and call for a federal regional assessment Responses to Candidate Questionnaire here.

☢ Question to the Leader of the Green Party of Canada: How does nuclear energy fit into the equation? "For the Green Party, it doesn't. We consider it an extremely expensive technology, well-known for its cost overruns, particularly when compared to other technologies that can be used for deep decarbonization. It also takes a very, very long time to bring online. Also, there is still no satisfactory way of dealing with nuclear waste."

☢ The Bloc Québécois position on nuclear (translation) The Bloc Québécois will oppose nuclear development, including small modular reactors, and any risk for Quebec from nuclear waste contamination from projects such as the Chalk River dump on the Ottawa River.

☢ Why molten salt reactors are problematic and Canada investing in them is a waste Investing in technologies that are proven to be problematic is no way to deal with the climate emergency.

☢ ‘We’re barred from COP26’: nuclear industry complains after rejected applications The international nuclear energy industry has complained about being excluded from the COP26 climate summit in Glasgow — prompting environmentalists to say it should have “no place” there. Read more about nuclear industry interference in COP25 here and here.

☢ Nuclear Power is not a Climate Solution 10 min. video

☢ New US resolution opposes nuclear waste storage facility proposed in Canada's Great Lakes Basin

☢ Hoodwinked in the Hothouse - Resist False Solutions to Climate Change There is a chapter on nuclear power.

☢ Vested interests Why we don't hear the truth about nuclear accidents

Ontario
☢ Our second letter to the CNSC requesting Dr. Frank Greening be appointed to External Advisory Cttee on Pressure tubes. And here is the CNSC's rejection.

☢ Vehicle-to-Building/Grid Integration EV batteries plus bi-directional charges can help Ontario phase-out its gas-fired power plants. In fact, by 2030 the capacity of our EV batteries will be more than double the capacity of our gas plants.

☢ A Canadian advantage in peril: Why the next federal government will need a plan to double our supply of clean electricity Transitioning off fossil fuels means grid modernization, inter-provincial green electricity exchange with water-power-rich provinces sharing, and federal coordination.

Renewables and Conservation
☼ Where do the parties stand on renewable energy? It’s crucial to lowering emissions. And the federal government can do a lot more to give development a jolt.

☼ Cleaning up Canada’s electricity is critical to meeting climate pledges Three of four major parties call for switch away from fossil fuels on the path to net-zero

☼ Renewables now half the price of fossil fuels across Europe, says report

☼ Rooftop solar can save Ontario $250M per year According to a new study, installing more rooftop solar can help meet electricity demand while saving ratepayers hundreds of millions of dollars annually.

Events
☢ Reverse the Trend - Canada Info Session Tues. Sept. 21, 8 p.m. ET.  Reverse the Trend Canada encourages youth to rise up and express their views on nuclear disarmament, climate activism, and environmental justice.

☢ Course: Personal and Family Protection During Nuclear War: An Introduction to Radiation Science and Its Lifesaving Application Sept. 25 – Nov. 10

☢ Eliminating the Existential Threat of Nuclear Weapons Thur. Sept. 30, 11 a.m. ET. International experts discuss the UN Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons and other steps that we can take to eliminate the existential threat posed by nuclear weapons.

☢ New nuclear and what's at stake for wildlife Oct. 7, 2 p.m. ET. New nuclear power plants will cause irreparable loss to biodiversity and harm and destroy wild places and the creatures who live there.

Take Action
☢ Tell Ottawa: no more funding for new nuclear reactors Tell federal Ministers to stop wasting our $ on polluting nuclear reactors.

☢ Tell the CNSC to put safety before OPG's profits The CNSC must put a moratorium on the continued operation of the Pickering nuclear station until OPG has submitted proper safety data.

☢ Say no to new nuclear in the GTA Tell Ontario's political leaders that you want investments in wind and solar energy, not a new GTA nuclear reactor.

☢ Decommission the Pickering Nuclear Station immediately after shutdown in 2024 This would provide a jobs transition for the workers and would reclaim the Pickering waterfront.

☢ Stop the Disposal of Nuclear Waste in Northwestern Ontario High-level nuclear waste should be managed using a "rolling stewardship" concept, rather than burying it in a deep geological repository. Learn more.

☢ Nuclear waste should not be buried and abandoned The Nuclear Waste Management Organization is proposing a deep geological repository to abandon spent nuclear fuel bundles underground in South Bruce, Ontario.

☢ Say no to nuclear waste in Labrador The citizens of Newfoundland and Labrador do not want to be the nuke waste dump for the world.

☢ International Petition Against the Discharge of Contaminated Water from Fukushima into the Sea And here's another.

Forward this email
make a donation
view this email in your browser

Copyright © 2021 Ontario Clean Air Alliance, All rights reserved.
You are subscribed to the No Nuke News list published by the Ontario Clean Air Alliance.

Our mailing address is:Ontario Clean Air Alliance160 John St, #300
Toronto, On M5V 2E5 Canada

Add us to your address book