Greenspiration News & Events: @ COP26

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Oct 31 23:58:17 EDT 2021

COP26 Backdoor

Daily live broadcasts from COP26 in Glasgow, and from hubs in Stockholm, Helsinki, Washington DC and Nairobi. November 1-12, 2021.

https://www.wedonthavetime.org/event/cop26

The Climate Classroom Online @ COP26

Get up-to-speed on climate change issues with daily free 45-minute online classes Nov. 1 - 11 (during COP)

http://rxot.mjt.lu/nl2/rxot/mhgty.html

Badvertising - Dirty sponsors polluting the COP process

As the UN COP26 talks gather in Glasgow, Badvertising releases new research that exposes the extent of influence peddling undertaken by major polluters who intrude on the climate negotiation process while portraying themselves as climate saviours.

https://www.badverts.org/latest/polluting-the-process-the-need-to-clean-climate-action-of-dirty-sponsors

Honest Government Ad | COP26 Climate Summit

Warning: satire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIyKmqEdgR4

Dirty energy: Coal versus cars

While coal power plants are indeed too carbon-intensive for a safe climate future, our gasoline-burning cars and trucks are even worse. #CO2 #ClimateCrisis

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2021/10/26/analysis/dirty-energy-coal-vs-cars

Past Last Call: G20 public finance institutions are still bankrolling fossil fuels

The report shows Canada had the highest levels of public finance for fossil fuels in the G20 at CAD 13.6 billion a year, due to Export Development Canada.

https://priceofoil.org/2021/10/28/past-last-call-g20-public-finance-institutions-are-still-bankrolling-fossil-fuels/

Call on the Big 5 Banks to stop the construction of Coastal GasLink and divest its shares from TC Energy

TC Energy have started encroaching deeper and deeper into Wet’suwet’en territory, and last week they started construction that would endanger the Sacred Headwaters.

https://actions.sumofus.org/a/call-on-the-big-5-banks-to-stop-the-construction-of-coastal-gaslink-and-divest-its-shares-from-tc-energy/

War hawks quietly positioning Canada to participate in US-led Ballistic Missile Defence program

https://www.thecanadafiles.com/articles/war-hawks-quietly-positioning-canada-to-participate-in-usa-led-ballistic-missile-defence-program

Ontario is nowhere to be found at Glasgow climate summit

It would be difficult to imagine a better strategy for increasing Ontario’s greenhouse gas emissions than building highways, facilitating urban sprawl, and ramping up fossil fuel-fired electricity generation. Ontario needs a real climate change strategy before the rest of the world realizes just how badly the province is doing.

https://www.thespec.com/opinion/contributors/2021/10/30/ontario-is-nowhere-to-be-found-at-glasgow-climate-summit.html

Sign the petition for a renewably powered Ontario: www.OntarioClimateAction.ca

It’s time to end logging in Algonquin Park

https://www.wildernesscommittee.org/EndAlgonquinLogging

Tell Doug Ford: Protect the Greenbelt, Stop Highway 413

https://act.leadnow.ca/highway413-ett/

More Lanes Do Not Mean Less Traffic

RMI’s New SHIFT Calculator Shows that Highway Expansions Lead to More Emissions

https://rmi.org/more-lanes-do-not-mean-less-traffic

Fracking: Report from the People Webinar Series

In this series of 4 webinars, panelists discuss the fracking industry in BC – subsidies, impacts on the water, land, and human health, and much more – which will have to be exponentially ramped up if BC continues its pursuit of an LNG export industry.

https://watershedsentinel.ca/articles/fracking-bc-report-from-the-people-webinar-series/

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

Fast for the Climate - International

Mon. Nov. 1st

As COP26 in Glasgow approaches, join the global call to Fast For the Climate on Nov. 1st. We are fasting for a just and true success of the COP negotiations, for climate justice to be realized, and the Paris Agreement to be implemented. We also express our solidarity with US hunger strikers in their 13th day of fasting in Washington. Join us in fasting in whatever manner you choose - fast from food or fossil fuels. Truly our lives depend on ending dependence on fossil fuels; people are already going hungry from climate instability. We are calling for a Just Transition to a renewable energy future. Post a selfie on social media #FastforClimate  #ClimateFast  #hungerstr1ke  @hungerstr1ke is the US hungerstrikers twitter handle

https://www.facebook.com/fastfortheclimate

In Toronto, join others at the US Consulate (N. Queen on University)

Mon. Nov. 1, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. ET

https://www.facebook.com/events/268243361896454

_______________________

_______________________

Rendezvous With Madness Film Festival

Oct. 28 - Nov. 7

The Rendezvous with Madness Festival (RWM) is the first and largest mental health festival in the world. The festival presents local, national and international work exploring themes of mental health and addiction issues. RWM is a multidisciplinary event that includes visual art, performance, music, theatre and dance in addition to its core emphasis on media arts, panel discussions and in-conversation events.

https://workmanarts.com/rendezvous-with-madness/

_______________________

_______________________

The Future for Nature: A webinar about how you can help secure Ontario’s wild species and wild spaces, forever.

Tues. Nov. 2, 11 a.m. ET

Join Ontario Nature's executive director, Caroline Schultz, and David Love, birder, and philanthropy expert, for a conservation update and discussion about how you can make a personal impact on nature in Ontario forever.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_pUmsOSCmT8eoyHX-fMfcGQ

_______________________

_______________________

The Spirit of Nonviolence - 6-week course with World Beyond War

Tuesdays Nov. 2 - Dec. 7

This 6-week series is about nonviolence as organized love. You will tap into the heart and soul of nonviolence, exploring its stories, principles, and spiritual depth. We will learn from the examples of people like us who are taking action right now for racial justice, environmental protection, economic justice, and peace. Exploring inner and outer work, as well as social transformation and movements for change, this course will be participatory, fun, deep, and meaningful. Using podcasts, discussions, and readings, you'll look at people who have stood up for justice, navigated crisis, and brought love-in-action into our world.

https://actionnetwork.org/events/the-spirit-of-nonviolence

_______________________

_______________________

Our Zero Carbon Future: Leaving no one behind

Wed. Nov. 3, noon ET

The transition to clean energy as the primary source of energy in Canada will impact both consumers and suppliers.

- Worker transition.  - Policies and actions needed to support the growth of new and emerging producers/suppliers of clean energy.  - Disruptors with the potential to develop and drive the adoption of new technologies to enable and force change

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_1_VsP2OnS7S_d7kK2NruxA

_______________________

_______________________

Technical dimensions of aligning Canadian electricity systems with net zero

Wed. Nov. 3, 3 p.m. ET

The Canadian Institute for Climate Choices is undertaking a new project on aligning Canada’s electricity systems with net zero. As part of this work, the Institute has published a series of scoping papers on the technical dimensions of the transition. The purpose of these papers is to generate new thinking and useful insights from recognized experts on key issues and topics, in order to drive a more constructive and informed policy conversation.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_GbnuYhSfRn6RLhgeqx_7Og

_______________________

_______________________

Child survivors of trauma from genocide and family separation

Thur. Nov. 4, 4:30 p.m. ET

We are honouring the child survivors of trauma from genocide and family separation. Join us for a live virtual event featuring survivors of the Canadian Residential School system and of the Holocaust

https://mailchi.mp/075927ea0133/legacies-of-loss

_______________________

_______________________

2021 EcoFair Toronto

Thur. - Sun. Nov 4 - 7

The EcoFair’s 4-day free online series of events showcase environmental non-profits and environmentally-friendly businesses, film screenings, eco-webinars, games, workshop and more. Learn about solutions, celebrate progress, promote change, and be inspired to take action in our own lives. Co-hosted by Green Neighbours Network of Toronto and Transition Toronto.

https://ecofairtoronto.org/events/

https://ecofairtoronto.org/

_______________________

_______________________

Global Day of Action for Climate Justice

Sat. Nov. 6

World leaders will meet in Glasgow in Nov. at the global climate talks, COP26. We are organising decentralised mass mobilisations across the world, bringing together movements to build power for system change – from indigenous struggles to trade unions, from racial justice groups to youth strikers. Find your local action here:

https://cop26coalition.org/gda/

Rally for Climate Justice Now! Real Action @ COP 26

Sat. Nov. 6, 1 pm ET

Queen's Park, Toronto (University and College)

With recent extreme weather events and new promises made by the Federal government, we must hold our leaders accountable at COP26. The climate crisis threatens our homes, health, and happiness, and promises to exacerbate existing inequalities. Unless significant action is taken, these threats will quickly multiply. The time for business as usual and empty promises is over. We need real action at COP26! Our main demands are: - Indigenous sovereignty - Phase out fossil fuels - Just transition for communities and workers - Global Justice. We need the Canadian government and other Global North countries to move beyond climate negotiations and move toward climate justice.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1015886509255770/

_______________________

_______________________

COP26 and land defenders

Sat. Nov. 6, 1 p.m. ET

Hear from frontline environmental defenders from Colombia, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico and Nicaragua about the significance of the COP26 climate summit.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_l-5cqbD4SQmXZYPdDTVeHw

_______________________

_______________________

Canada’s Climate Record: Broken Promises, Bright Future?

Sun. Nov. 7, 4:30 p.m. ET

Six experts will reflect on Canada’s climate record and future performance in the context of the COP26 climate summit in Glasgow. What is COP? How adequate is the Liberal government’s climate strategy? What is the history of Canada’s broken climate promises? What are the challenges, in light of the IPCC’s projections on emissions? What is being achieved in Glasgow? What can we do to promote a livable future?

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMpcOmhpj0uG9AJ_MFVOHq1Jd7Vf-0vKPsg

_______________________

_______________________

People's Summit for Climate Justice

Nov. 7 - 10

While world leaders meet to discuss our future at COP26, we'll be building power for system change together. Bringing together the climate justice movement to discuss, learn and strategise for system change. Join in online from anywhere in the world, or in-person in Glasgow. Dozens of workshops planned on climate chaos, big oil, fracking, games, indigenous perspectives, degrowth, art and activism, surveillance, right wing responses, ecocide, the rights of nature, health justice, climate colonialism, militarism, and more.

https://cop26coalition.org/peoples-summit/

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/