Greenspiration News & Events: Our Time is Now

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Dec 6 00:27:53 EST 2021

Regeneration: The world’s largest, most complete listing and network of solutions to the climate crisis

Regeneration is a radical new approach to the climate crisis, one that weaves justice, climate, biodiversity, and human dignity into a seamless tapestry of action, policy, and transformation that can end the climate crisis in one generation

https://regeneration.org/

What If Riding the Bus Were Free?

Saying ‘no fares’ could make public transit better and streets safer, while speeding up climate and justice progress. Who’s on board?

https://thetyee.ca/News/2021/11/29/Free-Bus-Fare-Public-Transit/

Channel your rage at Coastal GasLink and the RCMP in support of Wet’suwet’en

https://www.wildernesscommittee.org/take-action/channel-your-rage-cgl-and-rcmp

What David Suzuki will do for love

Last week, after David Suzuki warned pipelines would be “blown up” if politicians failed to take action on climate change. This week, a new film, What You Won’t Do For Love, paints a picture of Suzuki as loving husband, compelling storyteller and, for the first time ever, professional actor. The movie, produced by Toronto’s Why Not Theatre in partnership with TO Live and Soulpepper, stars Suzuki and his wife, Tara Cullis, as themselves.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2021/12/01/news/what-david-suzuki-will-do-love

To stream the movie:  https://doforlove.whynot.theatre

Confronting death in the activist community

Krystalline Kraus wrote a beautiful piece about the need for the activist community to confront death and to develop new strategies for mutual and communal support for those in the movement who might be struggling with mental illness. She reflects on activists  in the Toronto activist community - including Tooker Gomberg, Dave Vasey, and Graeme Bacque - who have died in recent years, and writes about the lessons each of them taught her.

https://rabble.ca/political-action/confronting-death-in-the-activist-community/

No Water to Waste

Take the pledge never to use commercial bottled water. Become a Public Water Champion today by boycotting all bottled water. A Council of Canadians campaign.

https://canadians.org/nowatertowaste

Tell Ontario: Withdraw all mining and logging from Grassy Narrows Territory now!

https://freegrassy.net/actionalert-permits/

OPG unveils smoke and mirrors instead of a viable climate solution

Ontario Power Generation (OPG) has selected US-based GE Hitachi to build a new $3 billion nuclear reactor at the Darlington Nuclear Station in the GTA, Canada’s largest urban area. Nuclear is the slowest and costliest way to reduce emissions and betting on new reactors will do nothing more than delay vital action on curbing climate pollution. We can create far more jobs, more economic benefit and faster action on climate by investing in energy efficiency and renewable energy.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/opg-unveils-smoke-and-mirrors-instead-of-a-viable-climate-solution/

Please send a message to Ontario’s political leaders and your MPP to say NO to a new nuclear reactor in the GTA and YES to renewables and conservation.

www.NoGTAreactor.ca

_______________________

_______________________

Cultural Resistance: The power of the visual and performing arts to advocate for a nuclear-free world

Tues. Dec. 7, 6:30 p.m. ET

How do we advocate for an end to nuclear power and nuclear weapons? Beyond research papers and speeches, articles and fact sheets, and protests on the streets, can a painter, a fashion designer, and a creative performance director convey the same urgency about our nuclear peril? We think that the answer is ‘yes’!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/cultural-resistance-visualizing-a-nuclear-free-world-tickets-208988790097

_______________________

_______________________

Speech and Spirit: A multi-genre collaboration

Tues. Dec. 7, 7 – 8:30 pm ET

The Nuclear Age Peace Foundation presents Speech and Spirit, an evening about the transmission of political conviction and ecological consciousness across generations. This multi-genre collaboration sits at the intersection of literary studies, Black and Indigenous performance art, and the pursuit of collective transcendence. The event emerges from a set of conversations between old friends about how best to honor the traditions they love and study. It will feature live music, song, and poetry.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_39wXCnbaTYiLVKmQ2hUSuA

_______________________

_______________________

Let's Talk Lake Huron fall webinar: Chemical contaminants

Tues. Dec. 7, 11 a.m. ET

When chemical contaminants enter our waterways, they can build up (bioaccumulate) over time in the food web and remain in the Great lakes for long periods of time, negatively impacting human and ecosystem health. This webinar will provide an overview on chemical contaminants in Lake Huron, their presence in tributaries, and what the presence of PFAS chemicals may mean for the health of the Lake.

https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcscuqorTMjGNUAISlRI59uXU1-9Hbk4NMn

_______________________

_______________________

Great Lakes Session 3: With Great Lakes, comes Great Responsibility: Areas of High Ecological Value

Tues. Dec 7, 5:30 p.m. ET

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZErde6hqDoiGtZ4uvpsH7gJrP3qdFJfTTzn

_______________________

_______________________

Imagining a World Without Police

Tues. Dec. 7, 6 - 8:30 pm ET

Join us for an in-depth discussion with a panel of activists and community organizers on the front lines of the movement to defund the police. What does it mean to defund the police? What could replace the police? And what would it take to move the city of Toronto in this direction?

https://tinyurl.com/antiracismworkshoppart3

_______________________

_______________________

The Green Mobility Wave

Wed. Dec. 8, 11 a.m. ET

An ambitious schedule of vehicle electrification with 2030 zero-emissions-vehicles (ZEV) sales tracking to 100% for passenger vehicles and 75-80% for trucks would reduce GHG emissions by 63 Mt per year and save drivers $23 billion annually at the pump. To achieve this, we require supportive demand and supply side policies, suitable financial structures, and sufficient charging infrastructure. This session will consider the current state of affairs including the % of fleet and most recent year’s sales that are zero-emissions vehicles (ZEV) for passenger, buses and trucks, progress made in the past year, and what is required in terms of strengthened policies, capital mobilization, and charging infrastructure roll-out to electrify a significant portion of Canada’s fleet while putting us on track for nearly all new vehicle sales to be ZEV by 2030.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_EHNybGiFQdaFRipDtoWxhg

_______________________

_______________________

Greener City Celebration

Wed. Dec. 8, 7 p.m. ET

The Toronto Environmental Alliance (TEA)'s Greener City Celebration is an annual end-of-year event that brings together our community of supporters and collaborators for an evening of good fun, conversation, inspiring speakers, and entertainment. This year's event will celebrate community action and spotlight some of the on-the-ground work happening in our community to create a more sustainable and equitable Toronto.

https://www.torontoenvironment.org/celebration

_______________________

_______________________

Creating Co-ops that Empower & Enliven Community

Wed. Dec. 8, 6 p.m. ET

Community-led solutions lead to transformative social change and co-ops put the power to shape our realities and decide our own futures back into people's hands. Community organizer and human rights advocate Josephine Grey of St. James Town Community Co-op joins us to explore impact co-op models that meet community needs.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/freedom-dreams-co-operative-education-fall-workshop-series-tickets-166561936235

_______________________

_______________________

What's Happening in Ethiopia?

Wed. Dec. 8, 5:30 p.m. ET

Join us for this discussion about how to make sense of the current crisis in Ethiopia. How should progressives make sense of the government of Ethiopia, alongside the Amhara regional militia, launching a genocidal attack on the country’s northern Tigray region — even going as far as inviting neighboring Eritrea to join in on the atrocities?

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/whats-happening-in-ethiopia-tickets-221097728257

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Messaging that Works

Thur. Dec. 9, 1 pm ET

Join us for the first of a two-part series as communications experts share a new tool focused on communicating Canada’s energy transition. Developed for Canadian audiences, it uses key research (public opinion polling, a national media analysis, and tried-and-true messaging approaches) to create compelling narratives about our climate predicament and the path forward. You will come away with insights and practical tools you can apply in your work.

https://mailchi.mp/1c437a9813cc/youre-invited-new-report-on-climate-in-the-media-engaging-women-on-climate-workshop-9870357

_______________________

_______________________

Why We Need Feminist Political Economy Now More Thank Ever

Thur. Dec. 9, 11:30 am - 1 pm ET

The Covid-19 pandemic has shone a spotlight on aspects of the economy that feminist political economists have been pointing to for decades: the importance of caring labour, the segmented nature of the labour market, and the ways that class, gender, race and ethnicity intersect to shape political economic life chances, to name just a few. What can feminist political economy bring to our understanding of the global economy today? Will this new visibility of many of the key insights of feminist scholarship translate into policy changes? Or will the legacy of the pandemic be an intensification of these dynamics of inequality?

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/why-we-need-feminist-political-economy-now-more-than-ever-tickets-213645468347

_______________________

_______________________

Hon Murray Sinclair - The Truth is hard. Reconciliation is harder.

Thur. Dec. 9, 6:30 p.m. ET

The Honourable Murray Sinclair reminds us that reconciliation is not an act of forgiving past wrongs. It is a process of dismantling the ongoing colonial relationship that treats Indigenous people as less than human. It is not a matter of benevolence or charity. It is a matter of respect and rights.

https://ticketfi.com/event/4320/your-event-title

_______________________

_______________________

Uranium and nuclear energy in New Brunswick and beyond

Fri. Dec. 10, 2 pm ET

Canada has 19 operational nuclear power reactors, one in New Brunswick and 18 in Ontario on the Great Lakes of Ontario and Huron. All nuclear power reactors require uranium, a heavy metal, or plutonium, a uranium derivative, as fuel. The Gov’t of New Brunswick and the federal gov’t are supporting the development of new nuclear reactors. These proposed reactors will require uranium or plutonium as fuel. Why is uranium required to operate nuclear power reactors? How is plutonium created from uranium? What are some of the health and environmental impacts of uranium mining? What are the impacts on Indigenous communities? How are uranium and plutonium related to nuclear weapons?

https://unbvirtualclasses.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMrcuqgqjkjH9XywrX0SIMCOR8YnFsAXkb4

_______________________

_______________________

Celebration of Life: Don Weitz 1930 - 2021

Fri. Dec. 10, 1 - 4 pm ET

Please join us as we honour and celebrate the incredible life and legacy of Don Weitz - Father/Grandfather/Friend/Rabble Rouser/Social Justice Activist. Don remained until his final days, a fierce advocate for the rights and self-determination of marginalized and oppressed people.

https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAlce6uqzMvE9T5M4jySZryiGaTVgTyq2XL

_______________________

_______________________

Fracking the Peace

Fri. Dec. 10 and onwards

Fracking the Peace (35 min. documentary) tells how fracking for ‘natural’ gas has negatively impacted the lives of people living on Treaty 8 territory in Northeastern BC, ravaged by more than 25,000 fracking wells threatening livelihoods, physical and mental health, rich agricultural land and the very water that sustains life.  https://watch.eventive.org/fracking/play/619abfb6116f2d007e87f453

_______________________

_______________________

British Columbia Environmental Film Festival

Fri. Dec. 10 - Wed. Dec. 15

The British Columbia Environmental Film Festival bridges science and film to promote environmental awareness. Through this annual festival featuring films and documentaries with an environmental focus, and with the help of a diverse community of experts, it aims to bring people together to address the environmental issues that affect us all. The $39 Festival Pass gives you access to 46 Documentaries, Shorts, and Feature Films.

https://bceff.org

_______________________

_______________________

Our Time is Now: Sex, Race, Class, and Caring for People and Planet and The Point is to Change the World

Sat. Dec. 11, noon ET

Launch of 2 breath-taking books. Hosted by the Global Women's Strike.

https://globalwomenstrike.net/us-launch-11-dec-andaiye-and-selma-james-the-point-is-to-change-the-world-our-time-is-now/

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/