Greenspiration News & Events: Happy holiday

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Dec 12 23:24:17 EST 2021

The future of holiday gifting is secondhand

https://www.greenpeace.org/canada/en/story/45076/the-future-of-holiday-gifting-is-secondhand-but-we-can-start-right-now/

We don’t have time to wait for the emissions-reduction nuclear power could bring - by Angela Bischoff

With the cost of renewables continuing to drop, we can get far more climate bang for our buck by investing in energy efficiency, wind and solar energy, two-way chargers for our EVs, and by expanding our east–west electricity grid – rather than sticking with high-cost nuclear and polluting gas plants. The last thing we need now are costly and delaying distractions from real action on climate.

https://www.corporateknights.com/energy/no-time-for-nuclear-power/

As a small organization, the Ontario Clean Air Alliance relies on supporters such as you to keep our critical campaigns going. Your financial contributions ensure that we can continue to move the dial on getting Ontario off the gas/nuclear treadmill and onto a renewable future. Thank you for your support!

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/we-need-you-now-more-than-ever/

The richest 10% produce half of greenhouse gas emissions. They should pay to fix the climate

This is not simply a rich versus poor countries divide: there are huge emitters in poor countries, and low emitters in rich countries

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/07/we-cant-address-the-climate-crisis-unless-we-also-take-on-global-inequality

'Biblical' flooding puts world's newest nation - South Sudan - under water

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMu7rvyC9V0

Keep foreign corporate money out of Canadian elections

A healthy democracy must represent the people. We can’t let wealthy foreign corporations shape the policies that are enacted in our name. Call on Prime Minister Trudeau to put Canadians before the profits of extractive corporations.

https://canadians.org/BigForeignOil#action

Solidarity Action for Wet’suwet’en

The Coastal Gas Link project severely violates Indigenous rights, poses a major risk to ecosystems, and increases fossil fuel production when we need to cut it. Canada is currently supporting companies that refuse to follow the principle of Free, Prior and Informed Consent and that instead expropriate unceded Indigenous territory for profits and pipelines. Learn more and find out how to take action to support Wet’suwet’en resistance.

https://www.yintahaccess.com/take-action-1

Wet'suwet'en Freda Huson’s words on receiving the 2021 Right Livelihood Award in Stockholm

Starts at 49’20”  https://rightlivelihood.org/2021-award-presentation/

1.5 Degrees of Peace - A Gen-Z's Search for Hope

A documentary by Kasha Sequoia Slavner to inspire a unified movement for peace and climate justice

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/1-5-degrees-of-peace-a-gen-z-s-search-for-hope#/

Toronto City Council is voting on a new climate plan called the TransformTO Net Zero Strategy

Learn more and send your message to strengthen it to Toronto City Council here.

https://www.torontoenvironment.org/net_zero_act

_______________________

_______________________

Solidarity with All Land and Water Defenders

Mon. Dec. 13, 9:30 - 11:30 am PT

Many people, organizations and communities have been impacted by the floods and extreme weather the past few weeks, and we send solidarity and care to those affected by these extremely challenging times. We also stand with the Land Defenders at Unist'ot'en, whose traditional lands have been invaded illegally by the RCMP.  https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwldemoqDwtG9ZLL_lQaYKFvynTahAejz77

_______________________

_______________________

Moving to Independent News in Canada and Why it Matters

Tues. Dec. 14, 7:30 pm ET

The objective of this panel is to (1) describe why more indy, investigative media platforms have emerged, (2) unpack how indy, investigative journalism happens, (3) discuss paths ahead for more investigative research on political and economic elites in the country, and (4) chat about other issues the panelists are interested in.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_J5h7IS0VRyq_PetCMFYesA

_______________________

_______________________

Homeless Memorial

Tues. Dec. 14, noon - 12:30 pm ET

The link to watch the memorial will be on Church of the Holy Trinity's Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/holytrinityTO/

_______________________

_______________________

Pangea’s Dream: A Family-focused, Eco-writing webinar

With eco-poet, arts educator and activist Elizabeth Glenn-Copeland

Tues. Dec. 14, 6 - 7:15 pm ET

In this one-hour webinar, Elizabeth will engage imaginations through poetry, stories and discussion. Participants will delve into 'creative space' while looking at what it means to be an Earth Ally in these changing times.

https://trca.ca/learning/nature-elearning/#event=pangeas-dream-a-family-focused-eco-writing-webinar;instance=20211214180000

_______________________

_______________________

How to Talk About Energy Transition in Canada (or anything climate, really)

Wed. Dec. 15, 1 pm ET

>From Climate Access: Led by communications experts Chris Hatch, Amber Bennett and Maria Granados, part two focuses on applying the messaging tool in our daily work. Participants will practice creating complete, values-driven climate messages that can win the hearts, minds and votes of Canadians. A key focus =will be connecting with = communicators and campaigners in similar sectors and receiving hands-on support and advice. https://mailchi.mp/1c437a9813cc/youre-invited-new-report-on-climate-in-the-media-engaging-women-on-climate-workshop-9870357

_______________________

_______________________

Canada and the Five Eyes

Wed. Dec. 15, 7 p.m. ET

The US, UK, New Zealand, Australia and Canada “Five Eyes” is a seven-decade old intelligence-sharing framework. With 2,700 employees and a $700 million budget, the Communications Security Establishment is Canada’s main contributor to the Five Eyes. Recently, the NSA-led alliance has been at the centre of Washington's growing conflict with China. Join Communications Security Establisment expert Bill Robinson, Professor John Price and others to learn more about the Communications Security Establishment and Five Eyes.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_igQwN1nvTVuezRy50vsSqg

_______________________

_______________________

Canada Greener Homes - Grant Program

Wed. Dec. 15, noon - 1 p.m. ET

Come hear the leaders implementing this major new sustainable energy initiative. An estimated 40% of Canada's GHG emissions are generated by buildings, with a significant portion of these emissions being produced by heating our homes and the hot water we use. The Canada Greener Homes Grant Program is a $2.4 billion, 5 year initiative led by Natural Resources Canada (NRCan). This program will provide 7,000 Canadian homeowners $5,000 grants to invest in energy retrofits designed to reduce GHG emissions and make homes more energy and cost efficient. The program also provides homeowners $600 grants for the mandatory applicant home energy audits performed by trained Energy Advisors.

https://ontario-sea.org/event-4575070

_______________________

_______________________

Making progress on electoral reform in this Parliament

Sun. Dec. 19, 2 p.m. ET

Where are the next opportunities to drive progress on electoral reform in this Parliament? What can MPs do? What can citizens do? Join a special webinar discussion with MPs from three different parties who have committed to work for real progress towards proportional representation.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_uvhYFJJjTcmp2PoaVdnFig

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/