Greenspiration News & Events: Don't Look Up

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Jan 10 10:11:14 EST 2022

Don't Look Up

A film about a comet hurtling towards Earth and no one is doing anything about it? Sounds exactly like the climate crisis. It's time to look up, listen to the scientists and start taking action. Now streaming on Netflix.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/dec/29/climate-scientist-dont-look-up-madness

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/jan/08/dont-look-up-four-climate-experts-on-the-polarising-disaster-film

https://dontlookup.count-us-in.com

2021: Year of Unprecedented Climate Impacts

https://below2c.org/2022/01/2021-year-of-unprecedented-climate-impacts/

Greta Thunberg calls nuclear and gas "fake climate action".

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/21/eu-in-row-over-inclusion-of-gas-and-nuclear-in-sustainability-guidance

Feds need to tell Ontario that gas power has got to go

The federal government needs to send Ontario a clear message that allowing gas plant emissions to rise by more than 600% by 2040 is not acceptable in a world where there is already too much carbon in our atmosphere. Please send federal Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault a message urging him to use these levers to get Ontario back on a carbon-reduction track.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/feds-need-to-tell-ontario-that-gas-power-has-got-to-go/

Send your message: https://www.cleanairalliance.org/feds-must-tell-ontario-to-phase-out-gas-power/

Survey finds Alberta tarsands environmental monitoring ineffective after 10 years

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/survey-finds-oilsands-environmental-monitoring-ineffective-after-10-years-1.5733325

The Case for Abolishing Billionaires

6 min. video by and with Linda McQuaig who makes the case for taxing billionaires out of existence.

https://breachmedia.ca/the-case-for-abolishing-billionaires/

Tell Minister Freeland to Tax the Rich

https://act.leadnow.ca/TTR-2022/

Change is afoot! The leader of a youth movement was elected the new President of Chile, vowing to fight climate change and to dismantle the neo-liberal remnants the Pinochet dictatorship—to build a more egalitarian society.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/dec/19/leftist-gabriel-boric-elected-as-chiles-president

Bill McKibben: The happiest number I've heard in ages

When we switch to renewable energy, the number of ships crossing the ocean will decrease almost by half, because they’re transporting coal, oil and gas.

https://billmckibben.substack.com/p/the-happiest-number-ive-heard-in

Talk Climate with Kids

https://below2c.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/TalkClimateInfoGraphic2021.pdf

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

** Have Your Say About Canada's Climate Plan! **

Jan. 14th the federal government’s consultation on our climate targets closes. It’s a crucial opportunity for regular people to have our say about Canada's climate targets and the plan to reach them. If thousands of us pack the consultation calling for an end to fossil fuel extraction and a just transition to a renewable future, we can send a clear message: the public expects bold climate action.

Mon. Jan. 10, 7 p.m. ET you can attend a workshop to help you learn more:

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/raise-your-voice-on-canadas-climate-plan-tickets-241525357847

- This is a simple sign on letter: https://act.leadnow.ca/climate-consult/

- Climate Messengers Canada has a Toolkit to help you craft a more personal response, which will be more likely to get read,:

https://link.climatemessengers.ca/consult

- Or you can go right to the gov't consultation page and fill it in yourself:

https://eccc.sondage-survey.ca/f/s.aspx?s=4132165a-69ff-455b-9208-24be193aa656&lang=EN

_______________________

_______________________

Voices from the Movement w/ Desmond Cole

Mon. Jan. 10, 7 p.m. ET

Voices from the Movement is a free online series featuring activists, advocates and community leaders who are collectively trying to reboot our democracy's operating system, to be more inclusive, responsive and meaningful. Hosted by Unlock Democracy.

https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYrc-mvrz4iG9PixLs490aSjpfOZcnIRfET

Full 2021 Schedule: https://www.unlockdemocracy.ca/voices_from_the_movement

_______________________

_______________________

Regenerative Agriculture and Climate Change

Mon. Jan. 10, 7 p.m. ET

Agriculture produces 10% of Canada’s greenhouse gases, but Regenerative Farming practices can reduce this considerably.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85910049868?pwd=ZkI2UkxyMWtCU0ZNbUttMFE4bGgyQT09

_______________________

_______________________

How To Talk to Anyone About Climate Change

Mondays Jan. 10, 24, 31 and Feb. 7, 6:30 pm PT

This 4-session course is presented by Patricia Lane, retired lawyer. She will draw on values research, storytelling and the latest communications evidence to learn how to talk about climate change as if it mattered to everyone.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/228754570077

_______________________

_______________________

Jan Gehl - Green and Grey

Tues. Jan. 11, 11 a.m. – noon ET

Jan Gehl is world renowned Danish architect, visionary, advisor, creator of cities centered around people, not cars. Author of Life Between Buildings: Using Public Space, and Cities for People, and many other books. His research focuses on the ways people actually use—or could use—the spaces where they live and work. Hosted by 8-80 Cities.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_PQhGUtJbTl2RXMUBltctqg

_______________________

_______________________

Living the 1.5 Degree Lifestyle

Wed. Jan. 12, 10 a.m. ET

Lloyd Alter will reflect on his recent book “Living the 1.5 degree Lifestyle”. Lloyd shares his journey as he lives within a personal carbon budget of 2.5 tonnes per year, which is the 2030 budget all world citizens would need to achieve (on average) for us to have a chance at limiting global heating to the Paris 1.5°C goal. He shows us what climate action means at a personal level (and its challenges) – what we can and should do in our everyday lives to reduce the greenhouse gas emissions affected by our own actions and choices.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_hxygjpefRhSDuUsAhxOFzg

_______________________

_______________________

Indigenous Perspectives on Climate Action: Community Solutions

Wed. Jan. 12, 7 pm ET

Our guest presenters are Pansy Wright-Simms, a member of the Luutkudziiwus of the Gitxsan Nation, and Leona Humchitt, Councillor and Climate Action Coordinator, Heiltsuk Nation.

https://raventrust.com/events/webinar-community-solutions/

_______________________

_______________________

Getting Into Action: 5-Session Climate Solutions Course

Weds. Jan. 12 - Feb. 9, 9:30 p.m. ET

A facilitated interactive workshop series, exploring Project Drawdown climate change solutions in more depth.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/getting-into-action-5-session-climate-solutions-course-tickets-201739818227

_______________________

_______________________

Great Lakes Session 4: Nutrients, too much of a good thing - Nuisance & Harmful Algae

Thur. Jan. 13, 5:30 p.m. ET PM

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcpcOmrrDksGdJNkkbcsrmYbQNADt25_NuP

_______________________

_______________________

Covid, climate and capitalist crisis

Sun. Jan. 16, 1 p.m. ET

>From Covid to environmental destruction to growing inequality, capitalism has created accelerating crises that wreak havoc on working people and the planet. But people are fighting back. From the strike wave in North America to the Indigenous fight for sovereignty to the global marches against climate chaos, there is a mass sentiment that calls for revolutionary change. Join us for this public forum to discuss the contours of the current crises and what we can do to build a movement that can challenge the system at its roots.

https://bit.ly/3G6sW25

Meeting ID: 815 3530 7826.   Passcode: 122212

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/