Greenspiration News & Events: Voices for Peace

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Mar 21 00:38:17 EDT 2022

Diplomacy Not Militarization, the Courage to Call for Negotiations - write your MP here

https://actionnetwork.org/letters/diplomacy-not-militarization

10-point plan to cut oil use - IEA calls for Emergency measures to quickly cut global oil demand by 2.7 million barrels a day

The International Energy Agency lays out a 10-point plan which includes reducing speed limits by 10 km, cheaper public transit, alternative private car access to roadways, car-free Sundays, more car-sharing, more bicycles, more EVs.

https://www.iea.org/reports/a-10-point-plan-to-cut-oil-use

Fast-track the beneficial ownership registry, to stop tax-dodgers, oligarchs and other criminals

A new report, Snow-washing Inc., shows how Canada is being marketed in Russia and elsewhere as a great place to incorporate shell companies for tax avoidance schemes.

https://www.taxfairness.ca/en/action/fast-track-beneficial-ownership-registry-stop-tax-dodgers-oligarchs-and-other-criminals

Ottawa pours more money into next-gen nuclear tech; critics to push back against ‘dangerous distraction’

Yet another taxpayer handout for phantom SMR technology. This is not green transition, it is green washing. We need climate action now, not empty distractions. Instead of flushing $27 million away on dubious small nuclear reactors, the feds could fix First Nation water systems.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2022/03/17/news/ottawa-pours-more-money-next-gen-nuclear-tech-prompting-critics-push-back-against

The High Cost of Bad Energy Choices - with Jack Gibbons, Ontario Clean Air Alliance

The Ford gov't in ON is ramping up gas 600% and rebuilding old and building new nuclear reactors while killing green energy and conservation programs. Gibbons lays out a plan for getting Ontario to a zero-carbon electricity grid by 2030.

https://youtu.be/WEZGlwqE0vM?t=453

Radioactive waste is forever. Tell the Feds to treat it that way

https://canadians.org/nuclear-waste

For the 2021 Ontario Election, we're looking for organizers in ten of the most contested ridings

We are focusing on approx. ten tight races where raising the profile of the environment through widely attended debates could make a real difference as the seat may be won or lost by a few thousand or hundred votes. Can you help?

https://www.100debates.ca/ondebates

New downtown collision reporting centre open for pedestrians and cyclists in Toronto

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-downtown-collision-reporting-centre-1.6384089

There's also a new online reporting system so pedestrians and cyclists can report collisions from home.

https://pedcyclist.accsupport.com/home

_______________________

_______________________

Dying for Capitalism: How Big Money Fuels the Threat of Extinction

Mon. March 21, 7 - 8 pm ET

It’s no secret that we live in a time of multiple bone-chilling crises. We face credible threats to human existence itself. Nuclear war and militarism; climate catastrophe on our doorstep; surging and waning Pandemics — all taking place in the context of deep polarization and tribal populism. This program will not only explore the interlocking nature of these threats and how they feed upon each other. It will show that they have a common root in our system of corporate capitalism.

http://masspeaceaction.org/event/dying-for-capitalism-how-big-money-fuels-the-threat-of-extinction/

_______________________

_______________________

Reproductive Justice in the Age of the Radical Right

Mon. March 21, 7:30 p.m. ET

Join a diverse panel of experts and activists for a panel discussion that will explore current threats to women’s right to choose, the barriers that still exist in Canada and abroad, and how we can mount a defence against them. Hosted by Cinema Politica, Toronto Danforth.

https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAudeqhqTItH9DPsEe43hujCSILENoSKRA8

_______________________

_______________________

U.S. Media Censorship of Voices for Peace

Mon. March 21, 8 - 9 pm ET

Join us for a discussion between Abby Martin, Lee Camp, Chris Hedges, and Jodie Evans on the impacts and implications of this censorship.

https://www.codepink.org/m212022

_______________________

_______________________

Subway-building costs

Mon. March 21, 7 p.m. ET

Join TTCriders as we read "Station to Station: Why Subway-building Costs Have Soared in the Toronto Region," by Stephen Wickens, transit researcher and journalist with a four-decade career at four Toronto-based daily newspapers.

https://www.ttcriders.ca/marchbookclub1

_______________________

_______________________

Ending White Supremacy: "I can't shut up"

Monday, March 21, 7 pm ET

The Urban Alliance on Race Relations, the Toronto and York Region Labour Council, and Labour Community Services have teamed up to host an event to mark the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ending-white-supremacy-i-cant-shut-up-tickets-288640340027

_______________________

_______________________

Building Climate Literacy with Children’s Literature and Media

4 Mondays starting Mon. March 21, 10 a.m. - noon PT

In this four-week program, teacher educators Marek Oziewicz and Nick Kleese will guide you to discover the power of children’s stories and media for ushering in an ecological civilization. You’ll engage with a variety of stories, learn about types of environmental literature, watch several films, and participate in discussions about how stories model climate literacy practices and lifestyles.

https://www.earthliteracies.org/Building-Climate-Literacy-with-Marek-Oziewicz-and-Nick-Kleese

_______________________

_______________________

Defund, Demilitarize and Abolish Police, Prisons, and All Forms of Carcerality

Mon. March 21 - Wed. March 23

Join in on two days of teach-ins by scholars, activists, artists and students followed by a Day of Action in Toronto

https://www.scholarstrikecanada.ca/

_______________________

_______________________

Take Action on World Water Day

Tues. March 22

Save Our Water Rally - 11:30 am ET at Queen's Park (ON legislature), Toronto

World Water Day Phone Zap - 11:30 a.m. ET

Turning the Tide Webinar - 2 p.m. ET

https://www.reformgravelmining.ca/events

_______________________

_______________________

Berta Didn’t Die, She Multiplied! Film and Panel

Tuesday, March 22, 7 - 9 pm ET

Berta Didn’t Die, She Multiplied!, is a celebration of the life and legacy of Honduran Indigenous, feminist, and environmental activist Berta Cáceres. The film tells the story of the Honduran military coup, the assassination of Berta, and the victory in the Indigenous struggle to protect the Gualcarque River. The insidious agents of the local oligarchy, the World Bank, and North American corporations continue to kill but that will not stop the social movements. From Flint to Standing Rock to Honduras, the water is sacred and the power is in the people.

https://worldbeyondwar.org/water/

_______________________

_______________________

Canada's Pollution? Where? What? How to Find Out?

Wed. March 23, 3:30 p.m. ET

As we work to protect our environments, it is essential that we know what pollutants are already affecting our communities and what pollutants are likely to arrive along with new industrial projects. This information is available from the National Pollutant Release Inventory (NPRI) through data it collects on emissions from most major pollution sources in Canada. In this webinar we will look at what information is there and how to use it. Our presenters are all experienced environmental advocates who have used the NPRI to organize and mobilize: John Jackson, Anna Tilman, Dave Stevens.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_geXx4EQTT1C_vfjfC6jjMQ

_______________________

_______________________

Indigenous Science and Climate Change

Wed. March 23, noon - 2 pm ET

This talk will discuss the undeniable fact that although Indigenous communities are among the most affected by climate devastation, Indigenous science is nowhere to be found in mainstream environmental policy or discourse.

https://www.environment.utoronto.ca/events/env1001-seminar-indigenous-science-climate-change-jessica-hernandez

_______________________

_______________________

Tenants' Rights Meeting - Ontario

Wed. March 23, 7 p.m. ET

The pandemic has amplified some pre-existing issues and brought new ones as well. Experts from Don Valley Community Legal Clinic, ACORN, the FMTA will provide updates, resources and respond to your questions. Moderated by NDP MPP Peter Tabuns.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_2yNR7pl9TxmCTlefRqjKMQ

_______________________

_______________________

Car-free cities, development, and localization

Wed. March 23, 11 am - noon ET

Join Shail Shrestha, founding member of the global Carfree Cities Alliance and Cycle City Network Nepal, in conversation with Local Futures' Carly Gayle and Alex Jensen, to learn how you can strengthen your community's local economy through bicycle- and people-centered transportation planning and advocacy.

https://events.humanitix.com/car-free-cities-development-and-localization-with-shail-shrestha

_______________________

_______________________

Environmental Defenders & Ecocides

Wed. March 23, 7 pm ET

What does it mean to be on the front lines of environmental defence? Many brave environmental defenders strive to prevent ecological destruction near them and abroad. They are people who put their freedom, safety, careers, or resources on the line to protect our natural world. Stop Ecocide is hosting a webinar to share stories about environmental defenders in Canada, to understand environmental issues across Canada and tactics of resistance. We ask how laws against ecocide can play a role in protecting both the environment and those who defend it.

https://www.stopecocide.earth/events/environmental-defenders-and-ecocides-

_______________________

_______________________

Two crises, one root: conflict, climate emergency, and LNG

Wed. March 23, 1 p.m. ET

More fossil fuels will not get us out of this war, and increasing liquified natural gas (LNG) export or any new fossil fuel infrastructure will only worsen our ongoing climate crisis. Now is the time to invest rapidly in a just transition away from fossil fuels, both to address the climate crisis and to loosen the grip of oil and gas producing nations on global security. Hosted by Council of Canadians, Environmental Action Germany and New Brunswick Anti Shale Gas Alliance.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_RTla8xucTH2VBQT5Ixn3Ug

_______________________

_______________________

Social Justice Redistribution - A Panel & Fundraiser for Groundswell

Wed. March 23, 7 p.m. ET

Part conversation about redistributive justice and part fundraiser for Groundswell Community Justice Trust Fund, this is an engaging invitation and call to action to support grassroots movements financially and otherwise.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/social-justice-redistribution-a-panel-fundraiser-for-groundswell-tickets-291734795627

_______________________

_______________________

Radioactive Waste Policy Review - Debrief and Strategy Session

Thur. March 24, 7 p.m. ET

Join Nuclear Waste Watch for an update, debrief and analysis of Natural Resource Canada's radioactive waste and decommissioning draft policies.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUlcO6qpj0tHdWCT_qIKSz0h24VuGOvU4z4

For background: https://nuclearwastewatch.weebly.com/  and http://www.knownuclearwaste.ca/

_______________________

_______________________

Emergency Measures Act Debate

w/ Canadian Green Party members and lawyers Dimitri Lascaris (no) and Nathalie Gondek (yes)

Thur. March 24, 7 p.m. ET

The Emergency Measures Act, used in Feb. to expel the trucker convoys, gives the government sweeping powers to deal with emergencies. Did this emergency meet the threshold?  Is this an argument about the right to protest or is it about the rights of the citizens of Ottawa to expect peace, order and good government. Whose rights take primacy anyway?

https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcqc-GuqD4uH9d6MAmXp-PjfVsXAJf5-AXS

_______________________

_______________________

Storylines for 2022: Where Does Climate Journalism Hit the Wall?

Thur. March 24, 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. ET

Climate journalism plays an essential role in getting the climate emergency under control. But it often hits a wall—when a news outlet can’t follow a story to its conclusion, or when focused knowledge in areas like climate finance, municipal climate action, or a decarbonized power grid doesn’t reach the audiences that can put it to use. Join our expert panel of journalists and climate practitioners to learn how climate journalism can make a real difference.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/storylines-for-2022-where-does-climate-journalism-hit-the-wall-tickets-289913688647

_______________________

_______________________

Behind the Scenes: Legislation for Climate-Aligned Finance

Thur. March 24, 1 - 2 pm ET

This event is tailored specifically for ENGOs and civil society organizations to learn about actions at the intersection of private finance, climate change, and legislation. We know that we can’t solve the climate crisis unless private finance flows in a new direction (for example, financial institutions financed over $3.8 trillion in fossil fuel projects since the 2015 Paris Agreement). This webinar on March 24th is a unique opportunity to learn what climate finance means, how fixing finance can mitigate climate change, what legislative and policy tools are available, and what we can do to help make this fix happen.

https://act.environmentaldefence.ca/page/101110/petition/1

_______________________

_______________________

Deep Dive Discussion on Impact Investing

Thur. March 24, 7 pm, PT

Ethical investing in your RRSP, RIF, and TFSA can push corporations to get out of fossil fuels and support renewable energy solutions for a healthy future. Your $$ should not be funding carbon emissions. Learn how to choose better funds.

https://bit.ly/3sLDyiOFTFO

_______________________

_______________________

Building Systemic Change: Frontline Women-Led Solutions for Climate Justice

Thur. March 24, noon - 1 p.m. ET

During this event Indigenous, Black, Brown, and frontline women leaders and global advocates will address multiple interlocking crises, and present a diverse array of visions, projects, policy frameworks and strategies based in a climate justice framework, including forest and biodiversity protection, Indigenous rights, food sovereignty, protection of women land defenders, and community-led solutions.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_yyXNyFDwTxO_HTxKCGOokw

_______________________

_______________________

Launch of the Ottawa Fossil Fuel Non- Proliferation Treaty Campaign

Thur. March 24, noon ET

What do Toronto, Vancouver, Bonn, Barcelona and Los Angeles have in common? They’ve all endorsed the Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty, joining over 40 cities globally. Now it’s time for Ottawa to step up. While Ottawa has declared a Climate Emergency, we’re demanding further action to phase out fossil fuels and fast-tracking progress towards safer and more cost-effective solutions and a just transition for all.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMtcuutpj8jEtPwc458idspgR73ycjCfiXF

_______________________

_______________________

Prairie Symposium for the Common Good: Ecology and the Common Good

Thur. March 24 and Fri. March 25

The Prairie Symposium for the Common Good is a new initiative of St. Paul’s College, University of Manitoba; Campion College, University of Regina; and St. Thomas More College, University of Saskatchewan. The symposium attracts scholars and practitioners devoted to examining the Common Good through the prism of an annual theme: Ecology.

https://umanitoba.ca/st-pauls-college/pscg

_______________________

_______________________

Fridays for Future Global Climate Strike

Friday, March 25

The catastrophic climate scenario that we are living in is the result of centuries of exploitation and oppression through colonialism, extractivism and capitalism, an essentially flawed socio-economic model which urgently needs to be replaced. A system where rich nations are responsible for 92% of global emissions, and the richest 1% of the world population are responsible for double the pollution produced by the poorest 50%. Guided by historical struggles and lived experiences, led by the most affected people and areas (MAPA), we are demanding climate reparations.

https://fridaysforfuture.org/march25/

In Toronto:

Friday, March 25, 2 pm onwards ET

Meeting at David Pecault Square (King and John, behind Metro Hall)

A rally blocking an intersection (to be disclosed), followed by a small march

_______________________

_______________________

Rethinking Labour Politics in Difficult Times

Fri. March 25, 3 p.m. ET

In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, and against the backdrop of forty years of neoliberal globalization, the need to re-establish the labour movement’s political capacity has taken on a greater sense of urgency. Stephanie Ross and Larry Savage reflect on the strategic political possibilities and challenges facing the Canadian labour movement at this important moment of heightened economic inequality, political polarization, racism and exclusion, and threats to human health and wellbeing.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/rethinking-labour-politics-in-difficult-times-tickets-287884649737

_______________________

_______________________

Online Rally for Grassy Narrows and Mercury Justice

Sat. March 26, 2 p.m. ET

Grassy Narrows leaders and grassroots people will join Anishinaabe movie star Adam Beach to call for mercury justice and compensation for all.

https://freegrassy.net/onlinerally2022/

_______________________

_______________________

Finding the Mother Tree

A public talk and discussion with author Dr. Suzanne Simard on the urgent need to rethink our relationship with the natural world.

Sat. March 26, 7 p.m. ET

Southminster United Church, 15 Aylmer Ave, Ottawa

The evening will consist of a keynote presentation by Dr. Suzanne Simard, followed by an armchair discussion featuring representatives from Nature Canada and Enviro Crew for a national and local perspective.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/finding-the-mother-tree-a-public-talk-and-discussion-tickets-274789852847

_______________________

_______________________

Stop Arming Saudi Arabia, End the War in Yemen - Canada-Wide Day of Action

Saturday March 26

Find an action near you: https://peaceandjusticenetwork.ca/canadastoparmingsaudi/

#CanadaStopArmingSaudi - Day of Action - End the War in Yemen - Toronto Rally

Sunday March 27, 2 p.m. ET

Matt Cohen Park (Bloor & Spadina). Across the street from the office of MP Chrystia Freeland, the Deputy Prime Minister.

The war in Yemen must stop! After months of escalating organizing across the country — from arms blockades and banner drops, to car caravans and dozens of protests, to media exposés and damning reports — we know the Trudeau government is feeling the pressure.

https://www.facebook.com/events/376974884024206

Send an email to your MP and sign the petition:

https://peaceandjusticenetwork.ca/canadastoparmingsaudi/#onlineaction

_______________________

#DefundClimateChaos Week of Arts Action

April 2nd - April 10th: the Largest Coordinated Street Art Action Ever

We are printing 30,000 giant street art posters ― each is 5 1/2 feet tall by 3 1/2 feet wide. There are six different designs, each created by movement artists. We want to get them into the hands of thousands of activists who will get them up in their communities. Will you sign up to get a couple of sets and commit to getting your climate action group, friends, family, or neighbors together to get this powerful climate movement art up in your community? https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSekW4ymInBwu8osI2C6MjCrRr22JvlxeOiry4wOyjKTN-qzeA/viewform

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/