Greenspiration News & Events: Green Resilience

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Apr 11 00:05:50 EDT 2022

Dangerous Radicals

“Climate activists are sometimes depicted as dangerous radicals. But the truly dangerous radicals are the countries that are increasing the production of fossil fuels.” - UN Secretary General António Guterres said in response to the latest IPCC report. He also said: “Investing in new fossil fuel infrastructure is moral and economic madness.”

https://www.theenergymix.com/2022/04/06/breaking-ottawa-issues-slap-in-the-face-to-climate-science-approves-bay-du-nord-offshore-oil-megaproject/

‘Terrifying’ IPCC Report Chronicles ‘Fast Track to Climate Disaster’, Shows Narrowed Path to 1.5°C

With the options for holding global warming to 1.5°C quickly closing, countries must immediately phase down fossil fuel production (meaning the feds must say NO to Bay du Nord oil and gas development off the Newfoundland coast), embrace low-carbon technologies that are already practical and affordable (wind/water/solar/conservation), mobilize citizens around the benefits of decarbonization, and increase low-carbon financing three- to six-fold, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) concludes in a 2,913-page report released yesterday.

https://www.theenergymix.com/2022/04/04/terrifying-ipcc-report-chronicles-fast-track-to-climate-disaster-shows-narrowed-path-to-1-5c/

Federal Budget 2022: Here's a summary by The Energy Mix of what it means for Canadian #climateaction, #fossilfuels, and #justtransition

Major new dollars for affordable and energy-efficient housing, a C$15-billion fund to accelerate clean investment, and a controversial tax credit for carbon capture and storage (CCUS) technology are among the big-ticket items in the federal budget tabled in the House of Commons last Thursday.

https://www.theenergymix.com/2022/04/08/affordable-housing-cleantech-investment-carbon-capture-subsidy-headline-2022-federal-budget/

And here's a budget analysis from the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives

https://monitormag.ca/articles/budget-2022-some-progress-but-no-need-for-panic-at-the-country-club

Ottawa Issues ‘Slap in the Face’ to Climate Science, Approves Bay du Nord Offshore Oil Megaproject

Trudeau is doubling down on the myth that Canada can be a climate leader while continuing to produce and export vast amounts of climate-destroying fossil fuels. “The planet is on fire and the science is crystal clear. Approving Bay du Nord is another leap towards an unlivable future. The decision is tantamount to denying that climate change is real and threatens our very existence.”

https://www.theenergymix.com/2022/04/06/breaking-ottawa-issues-slap-in-the-face-to-climate-science-approves-bay-du-nord-offshore-oil-megaproject/

Buyer Beware: Fossil Fuel Subsidies and Carbon Capture Fairy Tales in Canada

Since 2000 CCUS (carbon capture utilization and storage) projects have received $5.8 billion dollars, are collectively capturing just 3.55 MT (0.005% of Canada's emissions) and 70% of those captured tons of carbon are used for more oil production. So the result is we're likely actually putting more carbon in the atmosphere through CCUS subsidies, not less.

https://environmentaldefence.ca/report/buyerbeware/

IPCC Highlights Plummeting Cost of Solar, Batteries, Wind

The cost of electricity from renewables and batteries to store the energy they produce have come down so dramatically in the last five years that they are out-competing fossil fuels in most places on the planet.

https://www.theenergymix.com/2022/04/04/energy-ipcc-highlights-plummeting-cost-of-solar-batteries-wind/

The Magnitude of All Things

CBC Gem's new documentary merges stories from the frontlines of climate change with recollections of the loss of her sister, drawing intimate parallels between personal and planetary grief.

https://gem.cbc.ca/media/the-magnitude-of-all-things/s01e01

Stop the privatization of VIA Rail Canada - Petition

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-3938

Failure on All Fronts – Climate Crimes of the ON Doug Ford Conservative Gov’t

Seniors for Climate Action Now have published 5 ‘climate crime’ reports on the Ford government.

https://seniorsforclimateactionnow.org/climate-crime-1/

Get Your Tickets for Hot Docs 2022

>From April 28 - May 8, we're bringing 226 films from across the globe to Toronto cinemas and into your living room on Hot Docs at Home.

https://hotdocs.ca/whats-on/hot-docs-festival

Why Highway 413 is a Bad Idea

The “zombie” highway will hurt the environment, fail to solve the problems it aims to address – and there are better ideas to explore.

https://www.inthehills.ca/2022/03/why-highway-413-is-a-bad-idea/

_______________________

_______________________

Demand-side measures in the IPCC report

Mon. Apr. 11, 9 a.m. ET

What’s the role of lifestyle changes and sufficiency in the transition?

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/demand-side-measures-in-the-ipcc-report-tickets-306409678597

_______________________

_______________________

The War in Ukraine and its Implications for our Nuclear Future

Mon. April 11, 1 p.m. ET

This program will feature nuclear experts Francesca Giovannini, Pavel Podvig, and Manpreet Sethi in conversation with Lauren Sukin and address questions about nuclear risk, the future of nuclear arms control, and much more. Hosted by the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_c29eiRpASoyoffI7diremg

_______________________

_______________________

Concerning Lack of Mainstream Media Coverage on the Climate

Mon. Apr. 11, 7 pm ET

Are you concerned about the lack of mainstream media coverage of the climate? We hear very little about the IPCC reports and the absolute urgency of climate action. Join ClimateFast members interested in increasing mainstream media coverage. Register at media at climatefast.ca and you’ll receive a zoom link.

_______________________

_______________________

Greening the World Economy for a Sustainable Future. Can it be done?

Tues. April 12, 7 p.m. ET

Seth Klein, Policy Researcher & Author of A Good War: Mobilizing Canada for the Climate Emergency, talks with World Federalists on how his lessons can apply to the global context. The World Federalists WFMC-Toronto seeks a World Federation with global legislative, juridical and executive powers limited to those necessary to prevent wars and ecocide.

https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwoduGurjspHNDwjp03DKUb8vOSrhCcVDIX

_______________________

_______________________

Kathy Kelly: War Is Never the Answer -- A Webinar

Tues. April 12, 3 p.m. ET

In the past 30 years, Kathy Kelly has lived among ordinary families and children during wars waged by the U.S. and its allies against Iraq, Afghanistan, Gaza, and Lebanon. Her most recent article is entitled: "People in Yemen Suffer Atrocities, Too." In urging an alternative to war, she quotes Ammon Hennacy, a pacifist anarchist who said: "You can't be a vegetarian between meals and you can't be a pacifist between wars."

https://actionnetwork.org/events/kathy-kelly-war-is-never-the-answer-a-webinar

_______________________

_______________________

Equal Pay Day - Provincial Leaders Debate

Tues. Apr. 12, 7 - 9 p.m. ET

To mark Equal Pay Day, Ontario’s party leaders Andrea Horwath, Steven Del Duca, and Mike Schreiner will participate in a province-wide Party Leaders Debate on Women’s Economic Equality. Where is Ford?

http://equalpaycoalition.org/leaders-debate/

_______________________

_______________________

Green Resilience Project: Final Report Launch

Wed. Apr. 13, noon - 1:30 p.m. ET

Join us for the virtual launch of the Green Resilience Project's final report, which summarizes a series of 32 conversations hosted in communities across Canada on the links between climate change, income security and community resilience.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/green-resilience-project-final-report-launch-tickets-304201734577

_______________________

_______________________

ClimateFast Election Campaign Launch

Wed. Apr. 13, 7 p.m. ET

Which future will we choose for Ontario on June 2nd (election day)? There's a role for everyone! Do you want to talk to voters? help organize a riding debate in a key riding? host a conversation on the climate crisis, and Ontario climate policy? Join us to help build the Ontario Climate Emergency Campaign. Help build the movement we need in Ontario to elect a climate-friendly provincial government on June 2nd.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/climatefast-election-campaign-launch-tickets-312456755567

_______________________

_______________________

Demilitarize, Decolonize, Decarbonize

Wed. April 13, 8 - 9 pm ET

The same war industry corporations that drive our imperialism around the world are also behind the continuing exploitation of people and earth within and on our own borders. Here, as abroad, the military-industrial complex is tightly connected to the ravages of the fossil fuel industry, the uranium extraction & waste cycle, and the for-profit management of military bases. Wall Street, with its rapacious quest for profits, is the engine of it all, as it poisons our waters and threatens life on earth. This is what modern-day colonization looks like: corporate theft of resources, at the devastating expense of Indigenous peoples and Mother Earth.

http://masspeaceaction.org/event/demilitarize-decolonize-decarbonize/

_______________________

_______________________

What do Canadians really think about climate change? Rollup of Current Public Opinion Webinar + Report Launch

Wed. April 13, noon - 1 p.m. ET

Join leading communications experts Cara Pike, Natalie Southworth and Chris Hatch to peel back the layers of Canadian public opinion on climate and energy and gain new insights you can use right away.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_54Tr8KCxTVuY3K9ZRN2mlw

_______________________

_______________________

Transportation in a Time of Climate Crisis: Great Cycling and Walking - Urban and Rural

Wed. April 13, 4 pm PT

Join us for the second of four webinars in which the WE-CAN Climate Solutions Team explores the best policies and practices for transportation in BC, build a platform, and mobilize political action. Today we look at the need for great cycling, both urban and province-wide.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/great-walking-cycling-and-rolling-tickets-294167532007

_______________________

_______________________

Lessons Learned from Canada’s Record on Climate Change and Other Recent Reports from Canada’s Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development

‍Wed. April 13, 1 - 2:15 p.m. ET

Canada’s Commissioner of the Environment and Sustainable Development (CESD) will discuss his latest reports to Parliament. Commissioner Jerry V. DeMarco and Principals Kimberley Leach, James McKenzie, David Normand, and Michelle Salvail from the Office of the Auditor General of Canada will join us to discuss the issues covered by these recent CESD reports:

    Lessons Learned from Canada’s Record on Climate Change

    Scientific Activities in Selected Water Basins

    Emissions Reduction Fund—Natural Resources Canada

    Departmental Progress in Implementing Sustainable Development Strategies

    Environmental Petitions Annual Report

https://www.sustainabilitynetwork.ca/events/lessons-learned-from-canadas-record-on-climate-change-and-other-recent-reports-from-canadas-commissioner-of-the-environment-and-sustainable-development

_______________________

_______________________

A Panel on Youth Peace Activism

Wed. April 13, 8 p.m. ET

Hosted by IPPNW Canada (International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War)

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/3347654454

_______________________

_______________________

To Speak for the Trees - Tackling the Environmental Crisis

Wed. Apr 13, 7 p.m. ET

Dr. Diana Beresford-Kroeger, author of 'To Speak for the Trees' and renowned biochemist and botanist, is on a mission to share the ancient wisdom of the trees and bring about a renewed connection to the global forest. She will be speaking with Bill Steer, Founder and Director of the Canadian Ecology Centre (CEC) in Mattawa, who will be discussing the need for good forestry practices and stewardship with Diana.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_j8N8VBAyTO-7DTd0hw1UWw

_______________________

_______________________

Stop Ford's Health Privatization

Wed. April 13, 7 pm ET

Scarborough/Toronto/York Region Health Care Privatization Summit

https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMpc-yupjsuHNJ7kc80KnTsl_vwHNtUakT8

_______________________

_______________________

Noons for Now

Every Thursday noon - 1 p.m. ET

Weekly teach-in to discuss climate change-related issues. Hosted by Carlton University faculty and students.

https://carleton.ca/climatecommons/noonsfornow/

_______________________

_______________________

Off the Hill

Thur. April 14, 7:30 - 9:30 p.m. ET

Off the Hill is a fast-paced live panel on current issues of national significance. This panel will be co-hosted by Robin Browne and Libby Davies and will feature special guests MP Leah Gazan, rabble's own national politics reporter Karl Nerenberg, and the executive director of FoodShare Toronto and a lifelong anti-poverty activist Paul Taylor. Hosted by Rabble.ca

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_1Kn3X3kfTTqDCBw6FLYPyw

_______________________

_______________________

Disarm, Defund, Dismantle: Police Abolition in Canada

Thur. Apr. 14, 7 p.m. ET

Tune into the free launch event to learn more about the multi-faceted politics of police abolition in Canada. We'll touch on abolition as a response to settler colonialism and as integral to Indigenous sovereignty, as a response to anti-Black racism in the context of Black revolt today, as part of the struggle for sex worker safety, as a movement against migrant detention, as critical to harm reduction, and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm1QcXa8tJ4

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/