Greenspiration News & Events: Vote Strategically

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon May 30 00:29:15 EDT 2022

Shifting Power: Zero-Emissions Electricity Across Canada by 2035

This research sponsored by the David Suzuki Foundation is the first in Canada to model a pathway to 100% zero-emissions electricity by 2035.

https://davidsuzuki.org/project/clean-electricity/

9 youth climate activists from around the world share their book and podcast picks

https://ideas.ted.com/books-and-podcasts-about-climate-change/

Fossil gas isn’t natural, and it’s not a climate solution

https://davidsuzuki.org/story/fossil-gas-isnt-natural-and-its-not-a-climate-solution/

Why an activist campaigned for 15 years against Toronto’s illegal billboards - a doc about Dave Meslin while honoring Tooker Gomberg

A wistful mischief-maker rides the highs and lows of grassroots activism to bring down Toronto’s illegal billboards. 25 min. doc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zcTCBMgBY0

Vote Strategically in the ON election on June 2

https://votethemallout.ca/

NotOneSeat

A grassroots movement to ensure that Doug Ford wins #NotOneSeat in Toronto. Help out in these last days before the election by calling the anyone-but-Ford voters in PCs ridings and encouraging them to vote strategically.

https://www.notoneseat.ca/

Send A Climate Action Message to Election Candidates

https://www.ontarioclimateemergency.ca/about-3

Ford Government's Plan to Defund & Privatize Our Public Health Care System

1 min. video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG-wvE0PS1c

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

Bike Month in Toronto

May 30 to June 30

https://www.bikemonth.ca/events

_______________________

_______________________

Prices, Profits, Power: A People's Guide to Inflation

Mon. May 30, noon - 1 p.m. ET

Rising prices continue to dominate the headlines. What is inflation and what are its causes?

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/prices-profits-power-a-peoples-guide-to-inflation-tickets-348769548107

_______________________

_______________________

Voices from the Democracy Movement

Mon. May 30, 7 pm ET

Voices from the Movement is a free online series featuring activists, advocates and community leaders who are collectively trying to reboot our democracy's operating system, to be more inclusive, responsive and meaningful. Hosted by Unlock Democracy Canada.

https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAtduCtpzItHNCXba-gzRNN4H0G2K-mMNIV

Full 2021 Schedule:  https://www.unlockdemocracy.ca/voices_from_the_movement

_______________________

_______________________

Fracking the Peace

Tues. May 31, 9 p.m. ET

Join Stand.earth for an online screening of Fracking the Peace, a powerful new documentary telling the story of those whose daily lives, homes, environment and health have been changed by fracking in Northeastern B.C.

https://stand-earth.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ksl_yNgSQUeQBgjV2R0Rdg

_______________________

_______________________

Arms exports and militarization of territory

Tues. May 31, 2:30 p.m. ET

On the eve of the CANSEC arms show in Ottawa, this webinar seeks to build awareness of militarization of territory in Mexico, Colombia and Dene lands in Canada. The speakers will be:

- Quetzalli Villanueva from the Tlachinollan Human Rights Centre, Mexico

- Little Wolf, Dene land defender

- Rachel Small, World Beyond War

- a Colombian human rights defender.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_o8sGike3Rb60CAF8mGM6Xg

_______________________

_______________________

Countering Antisemitism Online

Tues. May 31, 1 - 2 p.m. ET

Digital platforms have enabled disturbing and harmful antisemitic rhetoric to flourish online, leading to a devastating uprise of antisemitism in Canada and globally. How can we ensure our digital platforms are safe and free from antisemitic hate speech and conspiracy theories? How can digital platforms be used to confront and create awareness around antisemitism?

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/generous-futures-antisemitism-online-tickets-298491846147

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Change as Spiritual Practice - Transforming Anxiety into Empowerment

Tues. May 31, 3 - 5 p.m. ET

With Joanna Macy, Author of Active Hope, and Jonathan Gustin, Founder of Purpose Guides Institute. We invite you to join us in imagining a new future together. Join in this special gathering to discover your authentic place in the world and prepare to offer your soul-level purpose as a gift of service to life in this time. Working together, we can awaken the human soul to meet climate change. Working together, we can use our "dark-adjusted eyes" to see climate change as a spiritual calling from soul.

https://www.purposeguides.org/ccspwithjoanna

_______________________

_______________________

Build Back Better, Together: 11 Transformative Agendas to Restore Social Life in Your Community

Tues. May 31, 11 a.m. ET

Imagine if the places where we live were walkable and shaped for, and from, our social lives, re-imagined to make it easy for us to gather, shop, have fun, eat together, and be around all kinds of people of all ages and backgrounds. With this mindset, we would fundamentally change our communities, and collectively have an impact on the health of our planet.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_343KQOXMRRWEY2oYxuuMuA

_______________________

_______________________

Critical Emissions 3/3: Building net-zero

Wed. June 1, 9:30 a.m. ET

In 2019, the building sector accounted for 8% of total G20 emissions. Fuel consumption in buildings remains a significant contributor to these emissions, and is likely to spur new investments in smart buildings over the coming decade. Join us as we discuss how this critical sector can help close the Say–Do.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_pPhHGnwhSkuGJisu9-nBDw

_______________________

_______________________

Capitalism & Dispossession Book Launch: Corporate Canada Abroad

Wed. June 1, 7 p.m. ET

5 authors will discuss their chapters on Canadian mining in Burkina Faso and Indonesia as well as Canadian banking in the Western Hemisphere and how corporate Canada influences the academic discussion of Canadian foreign policy.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ShEbQixNSOqg83MqYsQ_dw

_______________________

_______________________

Resisting Corporate Colonialism, Why we must stop EACOP Now

Wed. June 1, 10 a.m. ET

Hear from speakers from around the globe about how you can take action on the financing behind the East African crude Oil Pipeline and how it affects local communities and will have devastating climate impacts. As Eastern Africa faces environmental degradation, widespread community displacement, and climate injustice, North American investors watch their holdings rise. This is corporate colonialism in action. To put it in context, from 2016-2019, the world’s G20 countries provided $47 billion in public financing for fossil fuels in Africa. That’s 3.7 times the amount invested in renewable energy sources.

https://stand-earth.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ZCes5V_iSVWBhbkDG3LJlA

_______________________

_______________________

Plastics: tackling the pollution crisis and the climate threat

Wed. June 1, 10 a.m. ET

Plastic pollution is found in every corner of the globe, from the deepest ocean trenches to the most remote arctic regions. It remains in the environment for hundreds of years, eventually fragmenting into tiny pieces called micro-plastics, which make their way into our food and water and even into us.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIlcu-trj4jE9Z2g67yU19OXSSgBIFwC03W

_______________________

_______________________

"Against All Wars" Protest at the CANSEC Arms Show

June 1 and 2 in Ottawa at the EY Centre

CANSEC is North America’s largest arms show and defense event. All the companies and individuals who profit most from war and bloodshed will be there. Let's show up in force to oppose CANSEC and the profiteering from war and violence it is designed to support.

https://act.worldbeyondwar.org/cansec/

https://www.facebook.com/events/732955184374847/

_______________________

_______________________

Ontario Election Day!

Thur. June 2

Vote strategically: Anyone but Doug Ford's Conservatives! There are many ridings that are close, and if progressives voted strategically, we could prevent the PCs from gaining a majority. Plug in your postal code here to see which candidate is most likely to beat the conservative candidate.

https://votethemallout.ca/

_______________________

_______________________

Good company, critical analysis on election night with The Breach and many guests

Thur. June 2, 8 - 11 p.m. ET

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheBreach

_______________________

_______________________

Something Is in The Air: A Documentary About Cell Phone Radiation

Thur. June 2, noon ET

Webinar with Finnish director:

https://lp.constantcontactpages.com/su/sAjtdXX/EHTspring2022Films

The film “Something is in the Air” asks if the radiation from your cell phone or cell towers is harmful to your health. What about cell tower radiation impacts to bees and pollinators? Are scientific conclusions tied to the interests of those who fund the studies? How do governments make sure the radiation stays within healthy limits? How are children more vulnerable to exposures, and who has the power to make decisions about what we are exposed to?

Watch the 28 min. film on your own time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q89Gv2P3RH8

_______________________

_______________________

Indigenous Perspectives on Natural Assets

Fri. June 3, 1 - 2 p.m. ET

Panel discussion with Indigenous leaders sharing their lived experience in caring for natural assets, along with their advice for local colonial governments. https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/indigenous-perspectives-on-natural-assets-tickets-337411325357

_______________________

_______________________

Nuclear Power: Insecure, Unsafe, Unsustainable – CND webinar

Mon. June 6, 2 p.m. ET

This webinar will look at the impact of nuclear power on the environment, health and security. It will explore how nuclear energy damages lives, communities and the environment, while also exploring the links between nuclear power and nuclear weapons. With speakers Dr. Ian Fairlie and Lorraine Rekmans.

https://cnduk.org/events/nuclear-power-insecure-unsafe-unsustainable/

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/