Greenspiration News & Events: Regenisis

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Jun 20 00:15:48 EDT 2022

Regenisis: How to feed 10 billion people and prevent climate collapse

End animal farming to stop ecological collapse & save humanity. 6 min. brilliant short film - George Monbiot at his best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eaTIe_TBZA

Financing Putin’s war: Fossil fuel imports from Russia during the invasion of Ukraine

Since Feb. 24, $61 Billion Euros have been transferred from EU countries to Russia.

https://energyandcleanair.org/financing-putins-war/

Energy Transition ‘Not Happening’ as Fossil Subsidies Fuel Historic Missed Opportunity

The countries of the world missed an “historic chance for a clean energy recovery” from the COVID-19 pandemic and saw renewable energy stagnate due to a surge of fossil fuel subsidies last year.

https://www.theenergymix.com/2022/06/15/breaking-energy-transition-not-happening-as-fossil-subsidies-fuel-historic-missed-opportunity/

Alberta renewable energy surge could power 4,500 jobs

https://thenarwhal.ca/alberta-renewable-energy-surge/

How To Get Your Home Off Natural Gas

The emissions from your house may not be as obvious as the exhaust from a tailpipe, but they’re just as real. The good news? The latest electric options for heating, hot water and cooking are worth exploring—and there are financial incentives that make them even more appealing.

https://www.chatelaine.com/living/home-off-natural-gas/

Forget electric vehicles. Post-pandemic cities don’t need them – they are still cars

The Mayor of Paris sees an EV for what it is – a car. Cars take up public space. They need to be parked. They are a menace to pedestrians and bikers. They require roads and taxpayer funds to build and maintain those roads. The ideal city is not filled with sleek, silent, non-polluting e-cars; it is a city devoid of cars.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/commentary/article-forget-electric-vehicles-post-pandemic-cities-dont-need-them-they/

Seaspiracy

In this Netflix documentary, directors chart their journey across the world uncovering the horrors of the fishing industry - the most destructive industry in our oceans.

https://www.seaspiracy.org/

Ontario Clean Air Alliance is hiring a Social Media Manager / Digital Campaigner

View job posting and apply here: https://www.fitzii.com/apply/68643

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

Valuing what Matters - Why it's time to rethink the purpose of the economy

Mon. June 20, 1 p.m. ET

How can we move towards a more equitable economic model for everyone in Canada? With Mark Carney, UN Special Envoy on Climate Action and Finance and former governor of the Banks of Canada and England, in conversation with David Suzuki Foundation executive director Severn Cullis-Suzuki.

https://weallcanada.org/project/weall-can-talk

_______________________

_______________________

June is National Indigenous History Month, a time to recognize the rich history, heritage, culture and diversity of First Nations, Inuit and Métis Peoples across Canada.

https://www.rcaanc-cirnac.gc.ca/eng/1466616436543/1534874922512

Tues. June 21 is National Indigenous Peoples Day. Take in one of the 1500 events being held across the country.

https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/campaigns/list-events.html

_______________________

_______________________

Live from Vienna! US Civil Society at the TPNW First Meeting of States Parties

Tues. June 21, 1 p.m. ET

Want to find out what is happening at the first Meeting of States Parties of the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons? The Nuclear Ban Treaty Collaborative is hosting a live transmission directly from Vienna. Hear a report about the Civil Society Forum, the Humanitarian Impact Conference, and the first day of the Meeting.

https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIpdu6pqD0vHdKv0PKSWPfzim9Tv4fkofjg

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Change is Not a Spectator Sport

Tues. June 21, 7 p.m. ET

Tim Short will be talking about his experience embarking on a climate solutions journey with his family. Tim believes that everyone can take some steps to reduce the impacts of climate change. From thermal solar water heating to biking and walking more, to not idling the family car so much to drawing the curtains closed on a hot summer sunrise to opening them up at the sunset, there’s something everyone can do to make a difference.

https://lnkd.in/g6zWaW8X

_______________________

_______________________

Heal ourselves to heal the world

Tues. June 21 and Tues. June 28, 7:30 - 9 p.m. ET.

(If you can only make one date you can still register, please indicate which date you are available for and I will contact you to make it work.)

Whether it's climate change, species extinction or war, the challenges we see facing our beautiful planet can weigh heavily on our shoulders. That weight sometimes makes it hard to move forward, to have the energy for action, or to find joy in our days. Are you interested in lightening that emotional load? Do you wish it were possible to experience peace and joy no matter what the state of the world is? If so, join me for a two-part series where we use a meditative process of inquiry called "The Work", pioneered by Byron Katie, to question the painful judgements we have, and clean up our inner environment so we can rejuvenate our work on the outer one. Cost: pwyc, by e-transfer after the workshop.

Email to register: sclimenhaga at sympatico.ca

_______________________

_______________________

Training: How to Deep Canvass

Tuesday, June 21, 10 - 11:30 p.m. ET

Learn how to deep canvass and change hearts and minds on climate justice. We believe that to win on climate, we have to start talking to everyone. With thousands of people feeling unprecedented despair and cynicism about the climate crisis, it’s time to stop making assumptions about who is on our side and make our case to absolutely everyone. To do this effectively, we will have to take the time to listen -- even to those who might disagree with us.

https://www.tcan.ca/events-list/training-how-to-deep-canvass

_______________________

_______________________

Suzuki Elders Talk Nuclear Energy

Wed. June 22, 1 - 2:30 pm ET

The David Suzuki Foundation is hosting a presentation by Professor Allison Macfarlane, who oversaw USA nuclear regulations under President Obama. She will address:

- the problem of secure storage of "spent" fuel rods for thousands of years

- the huge financial cost of nuclear energy

- the corporate dominated regulation here in Canada

- why small nuclear reactors are NOT in the best interest of humanity

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0sd-uprjguG9XfYOx1eiXn81EdUvEJ74DM

_______________________

_______________________

Illegal Billboards -A Documentary Film and Panel Discussion

Wed. June 22, 7:30 p.m. ET

Innis Town Hall, 2 Sussex Ave, U of T, Toronto

Dave Meslin, a 47-year-old Canadian activist, is known for his campaigns to defend public space from commercial interests. For 15 years, he has been lobbying Toronto to remove illegal billboards from neighbourhoods across the city. As the Billboard Squad clashes with power, bureaucracy and inertia, Dave grapples with the emotional complexities of activism. 25 min. doc. followed by a panel discussion on illegal billboards, activism, burnout, mental health and working with city hall.

https://www.facebook.com/events/362565595975509/

If you can't attend the event, watch the doc here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zcTCBMgBY0

_______________________

_______________________

What is the CPPIB really up to?

Wed. June 22, 7 p.m. ET

The Canadian Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB) manages a large and rapidly growing fund. With over $539 B of our public pension at stake, we need to be aware of what the CPPIB is up to. Panelists will speak about the CPPIB's investment in the military arms, Israeli war crimes, and privatization of life sustaining public infrastructure including water in the global south, and other alarming investments.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_dWGLzvQ2T2GiRHveW-L_eQ

_______________________

_______________________

24 Hour Peace Wave: No to Militarization – Yes to Cooperation

Sat. June 25, 9 am - Sun. June 26, 9 a.m. ET

The G7 will be meeting near Munich June 26-28. NATO will be meeting in Madrid on June 28-30. Our goal is to speak up for peace and cooperation, the scaling back and dismantling of military alliances, the disarmament of governments, and the democratization and strengthening of international institutions of nonviolent cooperation and the rule of law. It is beyond time to address the unavoidable crises of nuclear risk, climate collapse, hunger, and homelessness, rather than manufacturing crises for the benefit of weapons dealers. Join in this 24-hour rolling livestreamed rally. There will be video from protests, demonstrations, vigils, teach-ins, and speakers as well as music and art.

http://masspeaceaction.org/event/24-hour-peace-wave-no-to-militarization-yes-to-cooperation/

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/