Greenspiration News & Events: Stop the gas

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Sep 12 00:50:11 EDT 2022

Stand With Ukraine — End global fossil fuel addiction that feeds Putin’s war machine

https://www.with-ukraine.org/

StopTheGas

The gas industry is exploiting the war. East Coast gas export facilities won't help Europe. They will damage our climate. Gas exported from Eastern Canada would not be clean, ethical, or climate-safe.

https://www.stopthegas.ca/

Ontario’s energy strategy opposite of what we need - Op Ed in the Toronto Star by Angela Bischoff

As storms rip through our communities and temperature records are smashed worldwide, we need a plan to lower our climate damage — not increase it with 600% increase in fossil gas and high-cost nukes. Is Ontario going to be left behind as the world embraces a green future? It sure looks like it right now.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2022/08/30/ontarios-energy-strategy-opposite-of-what-we-need.html

We can phase-out gas power in Ontario by 2030!

Send a message to Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault, your MP and your MPP stating your support for an Ontario gas power phase-out by 2030.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/cer/

How the bicycle changed everything – and never stopped rolling – 24 min. CBC feature

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-57-the-sunday-magazine/clip/15924073-how-bicycle-changed-everything-never-stopped-rolling

Vote for a Greener City For All

The Toronto Environmental Alliance (TEA) is working to put climate on the agenda in this election. They're calling on Council candidates to sign the Greener City for All Candidate Pledge and commit to key climate and environmental actions that bring benefits to communities. Read the platform and pledge here.

https://election.torontoenvironment.org/

Sign the Petition to Make the Toronto Midtown Yonge Complete Street Pilot permanent

https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/44b81f9c7c62e601fee4bd0c82cf345648217e3e

Radiation, Biology and Society

Did you know that ionizing radiation (from nuclear reactors, weapons and medicine) affect little girls and women many times more than "reference man", causing cancers, deformities and mutations later in life? Learn more in these online short courses on with experts from Gender + Radiation Impact Project and Beyond Nuclear. First course started Sept. 8 but you can still jump in.

https://www.genderandradiation.org/classes

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

Toronto Urban Agriculture Week - Celebrating Toronto-grown food and the people who grow it!

Sept. 10 - Sun. Sept. 18

Urban farm tours, wild nature workshops, harvest festivals, compost workshops, herbal tea and oils workshop, seed saving workshops, walking tours, garden tool sharpening, pop-up farmers markets and much more.

https://uaweekto.wordpress.com/city-wide-events-2022/

_______________________

_______________________

All Candidates Debate - Candidates of Spadina-Fort York riding, Toronto

Mon. Sept. 12, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. ET

The City of Toronto is going to the polls on Monday, October 24, 2022.  As a service to all residents of our Ward 10 Spadina-Fort York community, the Green Party of Spadina-Fort York are hosting this All-Candidates Debate. Register to attend in person or online.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/spadina-fort-york-candidates-debate-tickets-398685417817

_______________________

_______________________

Pharma profits or health justice? Act now for universal pharmacare

Tues. Sept. 13, 7 pm ET

This webinar will explore how Big Pharma is working to undermine the accessibility and affordability of needed medicines. Learn about how the Pharma lobby in Canada will impact the creation of a national public prescription drug plan. We must push our government to put the public interest at the heart of prescription drug research, development, production, and access. Endorsed by the Canadian Health Coalition, Council of Canadians, and Canadian Doctors for Medicare.

https://cupe-ca.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_kSXdj5dqQ5aU0ohEZGuvLQ

_______________________

_______________________

Speak Out for Your Great Lake Ontario

Wed. Sept 14, 2 p.m. ET

GLEN (Great Lakes Environmental Network) meeting on the Great Lakes Water Quality Agreement. The Lake Ontario watershed includes nuclear waste transportation, Pickering and Darlington Generating Stations, nuclear waste storage at Pickering and Darlington, and historic waste and contamination and the Cameco uranium facilities at Port Hope.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUvcO-trDwpEtZY-mDZojIN2dvyuLosrqbI

_______________________

_______________________

Hope & Climate Action at the Local Level: 2022 Ontario Municipal Election

Wed. Sept. 14, 8 p.m. ET

Speakers Phil Pothen and Maude Barlow explore the big climate impacts of local decision making and the importance of municipal elections. Hosted by the Ontario Climate Emergency Campaign (OCEC: OntarioClimateEmergency.ca) and Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment (cape.ca)

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hope-climate-action-at-the-local-level-2022-ontario-municipal-election-tickets-401854968027

_______________________

_______________________

Militarizing the Sky: Opposing Canada’s Armed Drone Purchase

Wed. Sept 14, 1 p.m. ET

The Canadian military is currently picking a contender for up to 5 billion CAD worth of armed drones. Join us to learn more from experts in the field and speak out against the government's attempt to purchase and deploy a fleet of armed drones under our noses.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_GE4zaRjTSJCupU-uEe5toQ

_______________________

_______________________

Canada and the Abolition of Nuclear Weapons

Thursday, Sept. 15, 10:30 a.m. ET

This free half-day workshop hosted by Project Ploughshares will focus on Canada and the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (TPNW), which held its first Meeting of States Parties this June. This is the second in a workshop series, but interested participants are invited to join even if they did not join the first workshop.

https://www.peacequest.ca/webinar-canada-and-the-abolition-of-nuclear-weapons/

_______________________

_______________________

Citizen Oil: How oil lobbyists are hiding behind the maple leaf to protect their profits and delay climate action

Thur. Sept. 15, 7 p.m. ET

Hosted by Stand.Eearth’s Tzeporah Berman, the conversation will focus on how Big Oil flexes it political muscles to block meaningful climate action in Canada and what we can do about it. As panellists Gordon Laxer and Tim Wood have extensively documented, the oil and gas industry does much more than just dispatch lobbyists to Parliament Hill. In recent years, major oil companies have invested heavily in building up pro-oil citizens’ front groups while allying with sympathetic politicians and journalists to attack environmentalists as illegitimate, “foreign-funded,” and “un-Canadian.” In the process, they are trying to twist the very definition of Canadian national identity around extractivist interests, with echoes that could be heard in the “Freedom Convoy.” But behind all of their furious flag-waving, Big Oil lobbyists are hiding a dirty secret: the industry itself is overwhelmingly foreign-owned.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ZJvjnUOnS_q9RQ6G_LpEuA

_______________________

_______________________

Ukraine: Land Of The Brave Toronto

Thur. - Sun, Sept. 15 - 18

1 Yonge St., Toronto

While enduring the horrors of modern-day war-torn Ukraine, a team of Ukrainian artists decided to turn their feelings of grief into an immersive, multi-media experience that showcases the effects that the War in Ukraine has on its citizens and reveal what is really happening inside the largest country in Europe. Presented by Bloor West Village Ukrainian Festival‍. 100% of ticket proceeds will be put towards purchase of medical evacuation vehicles and other local initiatives throughout Ukraine.

https://www.lighthouseartspace.com/event/ukraine-land-of-the-brave-toronto

_______________________

_______________________

The Big Toronto Bike Ride

Sat. Sept. 17, 10 a.m.

Two rides will start at Christie Pits Park (Christie and Bloor) before branching off to East York and Downtown Toronto. Both rides will return to Christie Pits for a post-ride celebration. All donations raised through this event help Cycle Toronto fund essential advocacy efforts, educational programming, and engagement opportunities to make Toronto a safer cycling city for all.

https://bigride.cycleto.ca/

_______________________

_______________________

UN International Day of Peace Walk

Sun. Sept. 18, 3 - 5 p.m. ET

Grange Park (Beverly and Dundas), Toronto

Join us in marking the United Nations International Day of Peace (September 21) with a walk through downtown Toronto stopping at several significant spots to learn together about taking action for peace.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1074165430167027

_______________________

_______________________

Bells on Kingston Road

Sunday, September 18, 1 - 4 p.m. ET

A Group Ride co-hosted by Toronto East Cyclists and Bells on Kingston which will look at the history of cycling advocacy in Toronto and Scarborough via a group bicycle ride on Danforth Avenue in Scarborough.

https://www.facebook.com/events/446022820779966

_______________________

_______________________

Rally and March for Migrant Rights: Rights, Regularization, Status for All!

Sun. Sept. 18

Rallies held across the country from Charlottetown to Vancouver.

In Toronto, meet at 2 pm at Christie Pits Park (Bloor and Christie)

Join us to demand equal rights and permanent resident status for all undocumented people, migrant workers, students, families and refugees. A historic regularization program is on the horizon, but we need to take to the streets to ensure that no one is left behind.

https://migrantrights.ca/events/sep18/

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/