Greenspiration News & Events: The people's story

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Dec 5 00:14:00 EST 2022

Environmental cost of Russia’s war

“This is not simply a war, this is state terrorism and it is ecocide. The invasion has killed wildlife, generated pollution and caused social instability. The terrorist state continues to send missiles to our power plants. Our environment is under threat because of this terrorist attack.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/nov/13/ukraine-cop27-highlight-environmental-cost-russia-war

Mariupol: The People's Story

The definitive story of the destruction of Mariupol. From the first shells to the fall of the city, the story is told by the people who lived there and called it their home. 90 min. CBC documentary.

https://gem.cbc.ca/media/the-passionate-eye/s02e10

Russia's Collapse Is Far Worse Than You Think, Protests, Bankrupt - 14 min. video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbzsgR98jLg

"We don't have to wait for Russia to lose.... We must create an international tribunal now and begin all necessary procedures to bring Russian war criminals to justice,” says Ukrainian Nobel Peace Prize Winner Oleksandra Matviychuk

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1597017678123671556

-----

We need federal Clean Electricity Regulations to Phase-Out Gas Power in Ontario by 2030

Please send a message to Prime Minister Trudeau and Jagmeet Singh requesting that they work together to establish strong Clean Electricity Regulations that will phase-out gas power in Ontario and move our province to a net zero-carbon electricity grid by 2030.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/open-letters-to-prime-minister-trudeau-and-jagmeet-singh/

Tell your MPP to vote for Bill 29, the Think Twice Before You Choose Natural Gas Act

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/the-smart-way-to-lower-the-cost-of-housing/

Heat Pumps Primed for Take-Off, Could Cut 500M Tonnes of Carbon by 2030

https://www.theenergymix.com/2022/12/01/heat-pumps-primed-for-take-off-could-cut-500m-tonnes-of-carbon-by-2030/

Heat Pumps Can Save you Money - webinar recording, Q&As, reports, primer and more

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/heat-pumps-can-save-you-money/

-----

A battle is brewing over the PC gov't's plan to destroy the greenbelt for development

https://thepointer.com/article/2022-12-03/a-battle-is-brewing-over-the-pc-government-s-plan-to-destroy-the-greenbelt-for-development

Tell Premier Ford and your Member of Provincial Parliament to repeal Bill 23 and keep their promise to protect the Greenbelt

https://act.environmentaldefence.ca/page/117064/action/1

https://greenbeltpromise.ca/

Submit a comment by Dec. 9

https://ero.ontario.ca/notice/019-6192

-----

Ontario Place for All

The Conservatives are taking acres of precious public park land on Toronto's shoreline and handing it over to private hands to become a SPA costing Ontario taxpayers $200M for the site preparation alone! The operator proposes to cover this with glass so they can plant palm trees. Join the movement to keep Ontario Place (on the Toronto waterfront) a public park for everyone.

https://ontarioplaceforall.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Toronto Environmental Alliance Greener City Celebration

Mon. Dec. 5, 7 p.m. ET

Lula Lounge, 1585 Dundas St W, Toronto

The Toronto Environmental Alliance (TEA)'s Greener City Celebration is an annual end-of-year event that brings together our community of supporters and collaborators for an evening of good fun, conversation and entertainment. Join us to celebrate and reflect on our wins in 2022 and gather our energy for the work ahead.

https://www.torontoenvironment.org/celebration_2022?#buytickets

_______________________

_______________________

Take Heart: Encouragement for Earth's Weary Lovers

Tues. Dec. 6, 7 - 8 p.m. ET

A conversation with KAIROS-faithful and artist, Bob Haverluck and author, Kathleen Dean Moore. Take Heart is a thank-you gift to the multitudes of Earth's defenders.

https://secure.kairoscanada.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=319

_______________________

_______________________

UN Biodiversity Conference - COP 15

December 7 - 19, Montreal

https://www.unep.org/events/conference/un-biodiversity-conference-cop-15

#COP15

One out of every five assessed species found to be at risk in Canada

Canada has already committed to protecting 30% of its land and water by 2030, more than doubling the amount currently designated. Ontario Premier Doug Ford’s push to develop protected land in the province’s Greenbelt, a network of natural spaces that includes some of the most sensitive and species rich areas in Canada – offers a glimpse of the competing forces between jurisdictions that could push the country further from its target.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-one-out-of-every-five-assessed-species-found-to-be-at-risk-in-canada/

_______________________

_______________________

Why do wind energy projects fail?

Wed. Dec. 7 at 1 p.m. Atlantic

Virtual

Learn how the lack of trust, fairness and community benefits undermined community acceptance of two wind energy projects that were proposed for northern New Brunswick. Researchers will present the results of a year-long case study on the factors that influence social and community acceptance of renewable energies, and share recommendations on how to increase the chances of success for renewable energy projects. Hosted by the Conservation Council of New Brunswick.

https://www.conservationcouncil.ca/webinar-why-do-wind-energy-projects-fail/

_______________________

_______________________

Defending the San Silvestre wetlands

Wed. Dec. 7, 3 p.m. ET

Join Peace Brigades International-Canada to hear Colombian environmental defenders who are protecting the vital San Silvestre wetlands outside the city of Barrancabermeja – and risking their lives by doing so. This webinar will take place on the opening day of the COP15 biodiversity summit in Montreal. Wetlands, lakes and rivers are home to over half of the world’s fish species. It’s an important time to highlight that wetlands are disappearing three times faster than forests and that 35% of wetland ecosystems have been lost since 1970.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_SFHmfEwtSKKUHM9OAiRInw

_______________________

_______________________

COVID 1000 and Beyond: Building Better Cities for a Robust Recovery

Wed. Dec. 7, 11 a.m. 3 p.m. ET

Join us as we mark the 1000th day of COVID by exploring how the pandemic shaped our cities and revealed urgent priorities. Hosted by Canadian Urban Institute.

https://events.zoom.us/ev/Aqt-EUM7xeTTZSIdyhHjjrmyeOY1dpXj85rPqxBmbssPxseKQ9eZ~AggLXsr32QYFjq8BlYLZ5I06Dg

_______________________

_______________________

Niigani Miinigowizziwin (we give these gifts to the future)

Wed. Dec. 7, noon ET

How do we heal self and systems? Melanie Goodchild will be discussing an Anishinaabe standpoint theory and model called Niigani Miinigowiziiwin that explores the principles of Anishinaabe systems thinking and complexity science to cross a threshold into naa-wi aki (middle ground), a sacred space between worldviews, where the medicine of emergence flows, bringing together the fresh and salt waters with turtle and eel medicine. It's a place and space where telescopes and poetry co-exist in peace.

https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcqdu2hrT8oHdzliRz10Js3SWJhaNYpNzyI

_______________________

_______________________

The Past, Present, and Future: Effective Advocacy

Thur. Dec. 8, 6:30 - 9 p.m. ET

At Toronto City Hall and via Zoom

This part of the Cycle Toronto Advocacy Forum Series looks at what needs to be done over the next term of City Council to make Toronto a safer cycling city for all. Former Ward 11 - University-Rosedale Councillor, environmental and bike champion Mike Layton will present case studies and share impactful strategies and insights from his tenure as a city councillor.

https://www.cycleto.ca/event/past-present-and-future-effective-advocacy-0

_______________________

_______________________

Myths, damn myths and voting system change

Sun. Dec. 11, 7 p.m. ET

Is electoral reform really about "trade-offs" as so many academics have suggested? What about simplicity, accountability, stability and local representation? Join Dennis Pilon as he explores how political scientists have perpetuated myths about electoral reform, and how to reframe the debate based on an honest look at history and the struggle for democracy.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_lTfTR-WRSd-Vtk1t7t4J3g

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/