Greenspiration News & Events: Movement Victories

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Jan 9 10:13:21 EST 2023

15 Canadian movement victories in 2022 you may not have heard about

>From a fossil fuel ban in Quebec, to ending migration detention in BC jails, to a wave of unionization, social movements clocked many victories this year in Canada

https://breachmedia.ca/15-movement-victories-in-2022-you-may-not-have-heard-about/

Ban Plutonium Reprocessing in Canada

The nuclear industry refers to extracting plutonium or other specific isotopes from nuclear fuel waste as “reprocessing” or “recycling.” ​It is highly contaminating, practiced in only a few countries, and is linked to nuclear proliferation and nuclear weapons. Reprocessing is a dirty, dangerous distraction from real climate action.

https://nuclearwastewatch.weebly.com/reprocessing.html

One in eight cases of asthma in US kids caused by gas stove pollution – study

Emission of toxic chemicals and carcinogens from gas stoves creating indoor pollution worse than car traffic

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jan/06/us-kids-asthma-gas-stove-pollution

Norway - an electric vehicle paradise - cars, mass transit, bikes

Norway provided incentives such as free tolls, free parking, and tax exemptions to promote zero-emission vehicles. Taxes on zero-emission vehicles were reduced while taxes on polluting vehicles were increased.

https://electrek.co/2023/01/03/norway-electric-car-utopia-sustainable-transportation/

The Future of Mobility Has Two Wheels: Copenhagen’s Bike-Friendly Architecture, where bikes greatly outnumber cars

https://www.archdaily.com/993147/the-future-of-mobility-has-two-wheels-copenhagens-bike-friendly-architecture

Extinction Rebellion announces move away from disruptive tactics

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/01/extinction-rebellion-announces-move-away-from-disruptive-tactics

Greta Thunberg ends year with one of the greatest tweets in history

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/dec/31/greta-thunberg-andrew-tate-tweet

Nuclear reactor pressure tubes are deteriorating faster than expected

Critics warn regulators are ‘breaking their own rules’. "Who is going to pay for the damage?"

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-canada-nuclear-power-plants-candu-tubes/

Stop Deportation of Vancouver-Pakistani Climate Activist Zain Haq - Petition

https://openletter.earth/stop-deportation-of-student-activist-zain-haq-03aac2f1

Why It's Impossible to Win a Nuclear War - Nuclear Winter

4 min. animated video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLLKeXbSKJ0

Keep Ontario Place Public

Public land is for public enjoyment – not parking lots and private spas. Send your message to ON politicians here.

https://secure.gpo.ca/keep-ontario-place-public

_______________________

_______________________

Stop the Toronto Transit Cuts: Pack the TTC Board Budget Meeting

Mon. Jan. 9, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.

The TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) is proposing deep cuts to service and fare increases. Show your opposition to cuts by packing the meeting.

https://www.ttcriders.ca/save_the_date_january_9

Sign up to speak on the TTC Budget Jan. 17-18 and Protect the TTC from fare increases and cuts!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf5TAwWEWapRT9KijcErKzn5GBCQ1MYZoxqbvindnJKkxtF-A/viewform?pli=1

_______________________

_______________________

The 15-minute City

Tues. Jan 10, 11 a.m. ET

As Smart City Special Envoy of Paris' Mayor Anne Hidalgo, Carlos Moreno led the new revolution for the 15-minute City. Carlos will present how the concept was developed and implemented and explain critical actions for other cities, anywhere, to move in that direction: Proximity. Flexibility. Equity. Sustainability.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_hsbcW3XiT260o-i-TnO5eg

_______________________

_______________________

Press Briefing: The Climate Story in 2023

Thur. Jan. 12, noon ET

To cover the climate story well in 2023, journalists need clarity on the biggest climate developments of 2022. Among them: the United States passing the Inflation Reduction Act, the world’s governments agreeing to create a loss and damage fund, and the continuing increase in emissions and impacts as the climate system approaches tipping points. Our panelists rank among the world’s experts on these issues: Dr. Saleemul Huq of the International Centre for Climate Change and Development in Dhaka, Bangladesh; author and activist Bill McKibben; and Dr. Marcia Rocha of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development in Paris.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Q6MZQBFdTqqPysPOYJT4Kw

_______________________

_______________________

Save $$ with Climate-Friendly Heat-Pumps

Thur. Jan. 12, 7 p.m. ET

Virtual or in person in Oakville

A free webinar about: • Heat pump basics and myth-busting • Available rebates • 'Ask an Expert' panel • Examples of heat-pump installations.

Hosted by community groups: www.gasp4change.org, www.hacen.info and cfuwoakville.ca

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/save-with-climate-friendly-heat-pumps-tickets-473430422137

_______________________

_______________________

Dr. King's refusal to accept "a militaristic stairway into the hell of thermonuclear destruction”

Thur. Jan. 12, 8 p.m. ET

Panelists will discuss this statement by Dr. King during his 1964 Nobel Peace Prize speech: “I refuse to accept the cynical notion that nation after nation must spiral down a militaristic stairway into the hell of thermonuclear destruction.”

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_YWHtK-qbStmKdndbvUYBcg

_______________________

_______________________

Speak up to stop transit cuts: Workshop with TTCriders

Thur. Jan. 12, 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. ET

Toronto City Councillors are voting on a proposed fare increase and service cuts: they need to hear from you! TTCriders will break down what is being proposed in the 2023 budget and how you can take action and participate in the City Budget hearings on Jan. 17-18.

https://www.ttcriders.ca/budget_workshop_2022

_______________________

_______________________

Breaking the Bank: A national conversation about defunding the police

Thur. Jan. 12, 6:30 p.m. ET

Live on The Breach’s youtube channel.

Despite the rise of the defund the police movement and widespread support for reinvesting funds in health-affirming public and community services, police budgets are up across Canada. As cities across Canada begin the budget process for 2023, police forces continue to ask for more money, officers, weapons and equipment. Meanwhile, emergency rooms are overloaded, the housing crisis continues and inflation makes basic goods unaffordable. In response to public pushback and major inquiries, police and their unions are exerting ever more political influence. Join The Breach’s El Jones as she hosts activists and scholars from across Canada for a national conversation about strategies for organizing against police budgets.

https://www.youtube.com/thebreach

_______________________

_______________________

Have your Say on Toronto's Budget

Sun. Jan. 15, 7 p.m. ET

The City of Toronto budget will be released on January 10, and deputations will be heard at meetings on the 17th and 18th. Learn how to make an oral or written deputation to the City of Toronto budget hearings. This workshop will cover key climate concerns and presentation tips.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/have-your-say-on-torontos-budget-tickets-501928249907

_______________________

_______________________

Ban Plutonium Reprocessing in Canada

Thur. Jan. 19, 7 p.m. ET

Plutonium is a byproduct of nuclear reactors. The separation of plutonium (and other isotopes) from irradiated fuel is called “reprocessing.” It is a dirty, dangerous and expensive process that leads to intractable radioactive waste problems and nuclear weapons proliferation risks. "Reprocessing" nuclear fuel waste was informally banned in Canada in the 1970s. However, the nuclear industry is pushing for plutonium reprocessing and the use of extracted plutonium as reactor fuel in a new generation of so-called “small modular” nuclear reactors, claiming it is required to mitigate climate change. This webinar features three expert speakers who will address the key dangers of the push for reprocessing including nuclear weapons proliferation and the toxic legacy nuclear waste that reprocessing creates.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_B6miPpyXQTWY8ztklgsRcg

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/