Greenspiration News & Events: Razom (Together) We Stand

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Feb 27 10:23:32 EST 2023

UKRAINE

Sign the Manifesto for a Green Energy Future for Ukraine and the World - Razom (Together) We Stand

The promise of Ukraine’s resistance to fossil-fueled terror must be realized by the entire world. The rebuilding of Ukraine should be the beginning of a global movement for clean, renewable, and safe energy.

    - Enforce FULL set of energy sanctions against Russia.

    - Invest in the European continental grid, including Ukraine.

    - Defund the fossil fuel industry.

    - Democratise green transition.

    - Cut global oil and gas demand.

https://razomwestand.org/en/manifesto-new-ukraine-and-new-world

https://razomwestand.org/sites/default/files/2023-02/Razom_We_Stand_Manifesto.pdf

Putin’s invasion has turbocharged the clean energy transition

Country after country in Europe raised their ambitions for renewable energy in the months after Putin’s invasion. Europe added 50 terawatt hours of wind and solar power since the invasion, and installed heat pumps at record pace. Their politicians moved to ban gas and diesel cars. Just this week, Germany moved to ban gas or oil heating in any renovations or new buildings. Fossil-fuelled power is projected to plummet as much as 20% this year.

https://mailchi.mp/nationalobserver.com/turbocharging-the-transition-ukraine-one-year-later

“Fossil fuels fund Putin's bloody war machine and human rights abuses around the world. A clean energy revolution can prevent a climate catastrophe and protect human rights," said Oleksandra Matviichuk on the anniversary of the invasion. Matviichuk heads the Center for Civil Liberties, the first Ukrainian organization to be awarded a Nobel Peace Prize in 2022.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wmxcty4iLY

Solidarity with Ukraine Resistance

Panel of activists and experts discuss the roots, nature, and politics of the war and Ukraine's resistance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeIfVB7IykQ

Ukraine wants to make Russia pay for environmental toll of war

Missiles and mortars kill and maim people, but Russia's year-long war in Ukraine is also poisoning the air, ground and sea, says Ukraine's minister of environmental protection, who is building a case that Russia should pay for its ecological "crimes."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/ukraine-war-environment-damage-russia-1.6752473

Bring Ukraine's stolen children back home - petition

https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/ukraine_stolen_children_loc/

CANADA

Spreading the Bomb – Will Ottawa revisit Canada's support for plutonium reprocessing?

http://www.ccnr.org/Media_Release_Reprocessing_2023.pdf

Crisis, what crisis? We need a climate emergency information agency - By Seth Klein

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2023/02/23/opinion/crisis-what-crisis-we-need-climate-emergency-information-agency

8 reasons why solar power is a good investment

Guy Dauncey’s Big Solutions: Solar power has come of age, making it financially viable. How can we accelerate its use to help us tackle the climate crisis?

https://www.corporateknights.com/energy/8-reasons-why-solar-power-is-a-good-investment/

It is time for gov'ts to consider the emerging science on #fracking and human health in their energy policy decision-making

More than 80% of NA gas is fracked.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2023/02/23/opinion/fracking-and-human-health

Old-growth in BC: It's time to end logging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGYZ5zzxt6s

Sign the petition to protect old-growth forests from logging

https://act.stand.earth/page/22441/petition/1

Gasoline versus electric cars? Here’s how their life cycle emissions compare in Canada

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2023/02/24/analysis/gasoline-versus-electric-cars-life-cycle-emissions-compared-canada

Films for Action: Climate Change

https://www.filmsforaction.org/library/?topic=1577&quality=all&type=all

Tory’s exit paves the way for a new form of politics in Toronto. It is a gift, and we need to seize the moment.

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2023/02/13/lorinc-seizing-the-opportunity-of-torys-resignation/

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

The Climate Crisis and Why Nuclear Power is Not the Solution - with Elizabeth May

Mon. Feb. 27, 5 pm ET

Elizabeth May will address questions central to current public policy debates in Canada: Should nuclear power be part of a climate action plan? How should we respond to the climate crisis? Canada is proposing a wide range of actions to address the climate crisis, including supporting the expansion of nuclear infrastructure in the form of small modular nuclear reactors (SMRs). In New Brunswick, the SMRs propose to extract plutonium from used nuclear fuel, raising weapons proliferation concerns in addition to the well-known environmental impacts of nuclear power. Does an expansion of nuclear power fit in a responsible climate action plan? What are the alternatives to address the urgency of the climate crisis?

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ZYfVxI33RXGqA1ZRI2_8zA

_______________________

_______________________

Tree Equity: Local Best Practices

Mon. Feb. 27, 2 - 3 p.m. ET

During this webinar, you will learn about barriers to increasing canopy cover, potential and innovative solutions, resources, and best practices to help cities expand their canopy cover and achieve tree equity. The webinar will also highlight key case studies from across Canada, including the City of Toronto's and Calgary Climate Hub's Little Forests.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/tree-equity-local-best-practices-tickets-543160035287

_______________________

_______________________

Solidarity and Spirituality: Soul, Scale, Strategy in a Time of Crisis

Mon. Feb. 27, 7 - 8 p.m. ET

Together we are forging new futures so that our communities are sustained and thriving. This labor of love often looks external: Changing the material conditions through organizing, educating, voting, and more. It is long and dedicated work. But what about the internal work? How does what happens internally impact our collective justice work? Are we fueled by love and grace for each other, or are we running on empty, about to burn out? How can we draw on the waters of our spiritual traditions to bring refreshment to ourselves and revolutionize our collective work for liberation? Join us as nationally renowned Valarie Kaur (Revolutionary Love Project) leads us through a conversation that weaves her own work as well as new works by our other speakers.

https://valariekaur.com/event/solidarity-and-spirituality-soul-scale-strategy-in-a-time-of-crisis-by-usc-virtual/

_______________________

_______________________

Defending Indigenous Sovereignty Through Divestment

Mon. Feb. 27, 6 p.m. ET

Indigenous legal traditions precede Canada’s rights. ICA invites you to join the conversation hosted by Ellen Gabrielle, featuring Vanessa Gray and Sleydo from Wet’suwet’en Nation to learn about working together to develop strategies based on our ways of life.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/8816753608673/WN_9FEG8h20QlCw7v74FhwqHw

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Café for Parents

Mon. Feb. 27, 7 - 8:30 p.m. ET

This session will be hosted specifically for parents / caregivers / guardians who are experiencing strong emotions about climate change and looking to connect with others facing similar experiences, but everyone is welcome.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/ccto-climate-cafe-february-2023-for-parents-tickets-534850400947?aff=ebdssbdestsearch

_______________________

_______________________

Plutonium: How nuclear power's dream fuel became a nightmare

Tues. Feb. 28, 7 p.m. ET

Nuclear weapons need plutonium. Plutonium reprocessed from nuclear waste could be diverted to produce nuclear weapons and the so-called “impure” plutonium produced by types of reprocessing currently being promoted in Canada could easily be cleansed of its impurities. The federal government is currently supporting a technology to recover plutonium from Canadian spent fuel. The Canadian government's support undermines the global non-proliferation regime constructed over the 50 years since India launched its nuclear weapons program using technology supplied by Canada and the United States. Join us for a conversation with three experts on plutonium reprocessing.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_rwYpoXtHS7iV_Si70-g4Lg

_______________________

_______________________

Unpacking Private Members Bills

Tues. Feb. 28, 1:30 – 2:45 p.m. ET

Unpacking Private Members Bills will explore the use of private members bills as one tool of working with MPs for environmental advocacy.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/panel-unpacking-private-members-bills-tickets-523830249377

_______________________

_______________________

>From Climate Emergency to Climate Survival

Tues. Feb. 28, 7 - 9 p.m. ET

What does collective survival look like in this moment? This collective visioning, movement incubation and learning gathering will equip you with space for reflection, new ideas, inspiration, and next steps to participate in this new campaign.

https://secure.everyaction.com/JVnlP8_a00i5SgyVBiKuNg2

_______________________

_______________________

Story of Self

Tues. Feb. 28, 5 p.m. PT

In public life if you don’t tell your story, someone else will tell it for you. Storytelling in organizing is a skill. Join us for a workshop on Story of Self, where we will discuss the power of personal stories and public narratives in connecting with others, building relationships, and motivating them to take action.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUocumtpz8tH93lePTAoJLjbMHlH2Kk9-7J

_______________________

_______________________

Undemocratic and Unethical: Doug Ford’s Conservative Government Erodes our Democracy and Threatens our Environment

Wed. March 1, 7:30 - 9 pm ET

Across a wide spectrum of issues; from the Greenbelt to housing, to education workers, to the health care crisis; the Ford government is attempting to stampede Ontarians into changes that will mainly benefit their self-serving Conservative donors and re-write longstanding democratic traditions. All of this because Ford and his minions claim a ‘crisis’ demands immediate action. To implement their policies, the Ford government has introduced draconian measures such as the ‘notwithstanding clause’, the dictatorial overriding of municipal democracy, and the casting aside of environmental standards. Ford says these measures are necessary. They are not - we can do better!

https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAld-Guqj8jEtV0WGCLTwFm8cbWpsvyezc_

_______________________

_______________________

Getting There “Greener”: EVs & Bikes

Wed. March 1, 10 a.m. ET

Climate Action for Lifelong Learners focuses on active transit at their monthly meeting. Featured speakers: Steve Lapp, Electric Vehicle Expert, and Educator Alison Stewart, Cycling Activist from Toronto Cycle

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYsd-6pqTIjEtN45hwv7KDWPgvIsO12RGAE

_______________________

_______________________

Doing Well by Doing Good -- with Ralph Torrie

Wed. Mar 1, 1:30 ET

Encouraging indications from corporate revenue and investment trends.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86584471779?pwd=VjdmcDUvN1pGSlBHNzFudEpWaXp4QT09

_______________________

_______________________

All-Out Shut Down Protest - Ontario Nurses Association

Thur. Mar. 2, noon - 2 p.m. ET

Sheraton Centre Toronto, 123 Queen (and Bay)

Ontario's nurses and health-care professionals will be mobilizing on March 2 to go ALL OUT. Join the protest to send a clear message to the Ontario Hospital Association and Premier Ford that we’re ready to fight to protect public healthcare—which starts with a fair contract for nurses and healthcare workers on the frontlines!

https://www.facebook.com/events/743746576951868

_______________________

_______________________

Women's Sexual Health & Reproductive Justice

Thur. March 2, 4 p.m. ET

Covering some of the historical highlights relating to birth control, abortion rights, and reproductive technologies.

https://events.zoom.us/ev/Ah00tlwHzs5Q-lvUEljsS4xteEzIxNTD0-eayEzby-QVtiFgROPI~AggLXsr32QYFjq8BlYLZ5I06Dg

_______________________

_______________________

Story of Self

Thur. Mar. 2, 6 p.m. ET

In public life if you don’t tell your story, someone else will tell it for you. Storytelling in organizing is a skill. Join us for one of these two workshops on Story of Self, where we will discuss the power of personal stories and public narratives in connecting with others, building relationships, and motivating them to take action. During the workshop participants will explore the elements of a story, practice telling stories, and discuss its application in various organizing contexts, including but not limited to ongoing campaigns on Just Transition and Pharmacare.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwtfuuspzIvHt1HBI9MY2T5VzUU6Aw-XBZt

_______________________

_______________________

Learning Together: Indigenous Rights, Climate Justice and Parenthood

Thur. March 2, 1 p.m. ET

Chelsea Vowel and Clayton Thomas-Muller will share reflections on their lives as parents and change makers, and discuss how parents can bring decolonial actions and practice into their communities, family life and climate work.

https://www.forourkids.ca/climate_justice_event

_______________________

_______________________

Exploring Equitable Approaches to Outdoor Learning

Thur. March 2, 4 - 5 p.m. ET

As education comes to understand the benefits of outdoor learning for students’ mental and physical health, how can teachers ensure they are implementing equitable approaches to this learning for all students? This webinar explores how to better understand the needs of students who come from a range of cultural, racial and socio-economic backgrounds, and how to meet their needs in equitable ways when situating learning in natural and built environments, in schoolyards and community settings.

https://oise-utoronto.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0ucu6orTspGdXDT_IChqtQIw5JCNzrj5c1

_______________________

_______________________

No Miracles Needed: How Today’s Technology Can Save Our Climate and Clean Our Air

Fri. March 3, 2:30 pm ET

Stanford University Professor and author Mark Z. Jacobson will discuss the existential threat of an accelerating climate change that Earth faces and how renewable energy, energy efficiency and conservation can help navigate through the crisis.

https://beyondnuclear.org/march-3rd-webinar-no-miracles-needed-with-mark-jacobson-stanford-u-and-ken-cook-ewg/

_______________________

_______________________

International Women’s Day in Toronto: 2023 Rally and March

Saturday, March 4, Rally 11 a.m., march 1 p.m. ET

OISE auditorium, 252 Bloor Street West

The cost of living, fighting for our public health care, our rights at the workplace, affordable housing, status for all, indigenous sovereignity and our climate. We are back on the streets, more resilient than ever!

https://iwdtoronto.ca/2023/02/22/2023-rally-and-march-details/

_______________________

_______________________

Solidarity with Iranian Women

Sun. March 5, 2:30 p.m. ET

Amnesty International is organizing this panel discussion to raise awareness of Iranian women’s protests against systemic gender oppression that have been ongoing since the arrest and death of Masha Amini in Sept. 2022.

https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwrcuuvqz4sHN35bMO7sO3VaT0AkU3rT-dQ

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/