Greenspiration News & Events: Community Energy

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Mar 20 09:38:29 EDT 2023

The IPCC May Deliver Scary News This Week. But Climate Chaos is Not Inevitable.

This week’s UN climate report will likely be devastating. But we can still take the actions we need to get the climate emergency under control.

https://energymixweekender.substack.com/p/the-ipcc-may-deliver-scary-news-this

Satire: Canada’s plan to “clean up” the tar sands

A (totally not disastrous) tar-sands solution - 3 min. video

https://breachmedia.ca/canadas-plan-to-cleanup-the-oil-sands/

$30.9B Price Tag Makes Trans Mountain Pipeline a ‘Catastrophic Boondoggle’

https://www.theenergymix.com/2023/03/14/30-9b-price-tag-makes-trans-mountain-pipeline-a-catastrophic-boondoggle/

Razom We Stand challenges the climate doom imposed by the fossil fuel industry: The world still can hit the Paris Agreement goals

https://razomwestand.org/en/article/razom-we-stand-challenges-climate-doom-imposed-fossil-fuel-industry-world-still-can-hit

Ukraine justice conference addresses ecocide law

https://www.stopecocide.earth/breaking-news-2023/ukraine-justice-conference-addresses-ecocide-law

Put Putin on Trial

https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/prosecute_putin_loc_rb/

The Left Case Against the "Restraint" Policy on Ukraine

https://www.persuasion.community/p/the-left-case-against-the-restraint

Celebrating Women’s History Month - March 2023

Free virtual film festival. Films by and about women.

https://www.wmm.com/celebrating-womens-history-month-virtual-film-festival-sign-up/

The surprising antidote to despair

https://mailchi.mp/nationalobserver.com/the-surprising-antidote-to-climate-despair-1963533

Permaculture for Climate Activists – 4 sessions with Starhawk

https://earthactivisttraining.org/permaculture-for-climate-activists/

Ritual Skills – 6 session course with Starhawk

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ritual-skills-with-starhawk-tickets-587524781437

Ontario’s Water Security Must Be Better Protected

https://act.newmode.net/action/ontario-headwaters-institute/ontario%E2%80%99s-water-security-must-be-better-protected

McMaster University: Divest from Fossil Fuels and Cancel New Gas Plant

Support McMaster students who are fighting 4 new peaker gas turbines from being installed on their campus by signing their petition. They're going on at hunger strike on Mar. 20.

https://campaigns.gofossilfree.org/petitions/mcmaster-university-divest-from-fossil-fuels

Peaker plants are the dirtiest and most expensive ways to meet our peak demand power needs -- we have much lower cost, cleaner ways including shifting demand, bi-directional batteries, and water power from QC. Read my letter to McMaster President and Board of Governors here:

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/McMaster.pdf

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

Nashville: We Were Warriors

Mon. March 20, 7 p.m. ET

In the 1960s, Gandhi’s nonviolent weapons were taken up by black college students in Nashville, Tennessee. Disciplined and strictly nonviolent, they successfully desegregated Nashville’s downtown lunch counters in five months, becoming a model for the entire civil rights movement. Part of the series: Nonviolence: The Tactics and Strategies of Winning Campaigns. Each session will feature a brief, documentary film on a significant and effective nonviolent campaign. In the discussion following the film, a Facilitator, supported by a Guest Expert, will assist members of the audience in thinking through the strategic and tactical lessons for effective nonviolent action that the successful campaign suggests.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZApcO6vqjIsH92ZJ0fJa3O0vQ-BdJXGi9ha

_______________________

_______________________

War for the Woods

Monday March 20, 7 p.m. ET

Bloor Hot Docs (Bloor and Bathurst), Toronto

In this exploration from CBC's The Nature of Things, Stephanie Kwetásel’wet Wood and David Suzuki travel to Clayoquot Sound, 30 years after the first "War in the Woods" clearcut logging protests. Once there, they ask: did Indigenous and environmentalist protestors win the battle but lose the war for old growth forests? Join directors Sean Stiller and Geoff Morrison for a post-screening conversation with Tanya Talaga.

https://hotdocs.ca/whats-on/films/war-for-the-woods

_______________________

_______________________

Ukraine solidarity - East European perspectives

Tues. Mar. 21, 19:00-21:00 CET (Berlin time) xxx

Every month the Global Network in Solidarity with Ukraine meets to exchange information about the activities of left-wing solidarity groups, and create a space to discuss what progressive solidarity with Ukraine looks like in different regions of the world. Speakers are from Romania, Hungary, Lithuania, and other countries bordering Russia or Ukraine, as well as refugees from the conflict. Simultaneous interpretation English/French.

https://us8.campaign-archive.com/?e=e59bd4c880&u=5c732dd5ee65845cf20fd724a&id=82b8fc024b

_______________________

_______________________

Bill S-243, the Climate-Aligned Finance Act

Tues. Mar. 21, 4 p.m. ET

Senator Rosa Galvez’s Bill S-243, the Climate-Aligned Finance Act would guide Canada’s financial sector through an orderly transition to a low-carbon economy in order to meet our climate targets while safeguarding the financial system from the systemic risks posed by climate change.

https://citizensclimate.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUsc-GqpjkrHdAIcNz412WN6dH6AV7CYi6K

_______________________

_______________________

A Climate Change Perspective in Park Management

Tues. March 21,

Urban parks have a very crucial role regarding how cities are adapting to climate change as well as helping understand and mitigate it. In this webinar German Enriquez will explain how to implement a climate change perspective in park operations through his experience as Director of a large urban park conservancy and a city park system organization from two important cities in Mexico.

https://bit.ly/3CfKV6e

_______________________

_______________________

Are Canadian pensions invested in a sustainable future?

Wed. Mar. 22, 11 a.m. ET

Panelists will discuss the release the 2nd annual Canadian Pensions Dashboard for Responsible Investing, a navigational tool to increase ambition for a sustainable, inclusive future.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_eA8fI-o6SSadIbZUo0gOJA

_______________________

_______________________

Toronto’s Biodiversity

Wed. Mar. 22, 7 p.m.

Swansea Town Hall, 95 Lavinia Ave. Toronto

We look forward to a lively discussion about the past, current, and future actions of the City and individuals in response to what biodiversity means for urban areas.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/torontos-biodiversity-kunming-montreal-global-biodiversity-framework-tickets-576143830707

_______________________

_______________________

Recognizing and Dismantling Antisemitism – A workshop for Practitioners and Educators

Wed. Mar. 22, 1 - 4 p.m. ET

Dr. Karen Mock will provide an opportunity to develop practical strategies to deal with antisemitism in order to better support both clients and colleagues. Participants will come away with:

    - A fuller understanding of antisemitism in all its forms;

    - How antisemitism manifests in the workplace;

    - The impact of antisemitism on those who experience it, and

    - Practical strategies to resolve current tensions on this difficult topic.

https://www.gifttool.com/registrar/ShowEventDetails?ID=1125&EID=30688

_______________________

_______________________

Community Energy and Democracy

Thur. Mar. 23, 6 p.m. ET

Join Tynette Deveaux, from Sierra Club’s Beyond Coal Atlantic campaign for a presentation on community energy in Canada and where it fits in the context of the global energy democracy movement. Find out how communities are reclaiming their power and sowing seeds for more equitable, resilient, and sustainable societies.

https://beyondclimatepromises.ca/community-energy-democracy/

_______________________

_______________________

Preserving Biodiversity: Creation Care from Faith to Action

Thur. March 23, 6 p.m. ET

Join Citizens for Public Justice (CPJ) and For the Love of Creation (FLC) for a thoughtful conversation on Biodiversity and Creation Care in Canada. Our expert and diverse panelists will talk about our planetary boundaries, the latest updates from COP15, and Indigenous perspectives on biodiversity. Our gathering will conclude with a theological reflection on creation care.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwrdequrTgjHtQ4kDUArJt9hQgRzyxFJvln

_______________________

_______________________

Protecting our planet's waters, protecting life: the role of criminal law

Thur. March 23, 1 p.m. ET

The legal recognition of “ecocide” (severe and either widespread or long-term harm to ecosystems) as a crime at the international level could go a long way to shifting attitudes and guiding behaviour with regard to threats of severe pollution to the Earth’s primary life source - water in all its forms.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_tRBKRJEwQC6PqZtRhGztew?timezone_id=America%2FMontreal

_______________________

_______________________

Off the Hill: Mind the gap – the federal budget and income equality

Thur. March 23, 4:30 pm PST / 7:30 pm ET

The federal budget for 2023 is soon to be announced. Who decides the budget? Who influences it? And where does all that money go? Last year’s budget was aimed at growing the economy in Canada and making life more affordable and equitable. But did it? Our guests will dissect these questions and more in our Off the Hill panel this month. Guests include MP Leah Gazan, rabble columnist and policy researcher Chuka Ejeckam, economist David Macdonald and rabble parliamentary reporter Karl Nerenberg. Hosted by Robin Browne and Libby Davies. Hosted by Rabble.ca

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_u-oayYX8RuKj3hcmlLFKaQ

_______________________

_______________________

Four Winters: A Story of Jewish Partisan Resistance & Bravery in WWII

Mar. 24, 25, 26, 29, Apr. 1 and 2

Bloor Hot Docs, Bloor and Bathurst, Toronto

25,000 Jewish partisans fought back against the Nazis and their collaborators from deep within the forests of WWII’s Eastern Europe, Ukraine and Belarus. Against extraordinary odds, they escaped the Nazis, transforming from young innocents raised in closely-knit families to courageous resistance fighters. The last surviving partisans tell their stories of resistance in Four Winters, revealing a stunning narrative of heroism and resilience.

https://hotdocs.ca/whats-on/films/four-winters

_______________________

_______________________

Scarborough Seedy Saturday and Green Fair

Sat. Mar. 25, 11 am - 4 pm ET

St. John Henry Newman High School, 100 Brimley Rd South (south of Kingston Road), Toronto

A Gardening and Eco Fair with over 50 tables: heirloom seed vendors, seed exchange , gardening booths, environmental organizations, green living ideas and answers to your growing questions. There will be kids activities.

https://www.facebook.com/events/724581459324088/

_______________________

_______________________

Police Liaison training

Sat. March 25, 1 - 4 p.m. ET

33 Cecil Street, Toronto (Greenpeace office) or online on Zoom

Learn essential skills to assist with effective communications when dealing with police at in-person protests or actions. In this workshop you'll learn how to speak directly with police and negotiate terms of interaction with activists, Right to Protest and level of police response for rallies, marches and non-violent direct action (NVDA).

https://actionnetwork.org/events/police-liaison-training-3/

_______________________

_______________________

Trillium Park and Ontario Place: A Nature Walk in Partnership with Ontario Place for All

Sat. Mar 25, 10 a.m. ET

Meeting Location: The entrance to Trillium Park, 955 Lake Shore Blvd W, by the washrooms

Starting at Trillium Park, we will follow the waterfront trail into Ontario Place towards the west island before looping back to our starting point. We will enjoy great views of the lake and explore nature and the wildlife that this beautiful area of the waterfront has to offer. We also discuss the proposed development plans for Ontario, the impact on nature and public access to this area.

https://torontofieldnaturalists.org/TFN-events/trillium-park-and-ontario-place-a-nature-walk-in-partnership-with-ontario-place-for-all/

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/