Greenspiration News & Events: Nuclear pipe dreams

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon May 1 00:00:10 EDT 2023

Current climate policies ‘a death sentence’ for the world, warns Guterres

“Today’s policies would make our world 2.8 degrees hotter by the end of the century. And this is a death sentence.” He said the possibility remains, of limiting global temperature rise to 1.5°C: “But only if the world takes a quantum leap in climate action... I urge you to accelerate your move away from fossil fuels and towards a fair and just decarbonization of every sector. Renewables can deliver – on access, affordability, and energy security.”

https://news.un.org/en/story/2023/04/1135862

Meanwhile back in Ontario, the Ford Gov't continues to ramp up gas power 700%

Send the feds a message here telling them to forbid ON from building new gas plants

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/open-letters-to-prime-minister-trudeau-and-jagmeet-singh/

Dr. Gordon Edwards – “We must stop chasing nuclear pipe dreams” - video recording

https://www.netnewsledger.com/2023/04/25/dr-gordon-edwards-we-must-stop-chasing-nuclear-pipe-dreams/

Press conference of Not the Nuclear Lobby

Green Party leader Elizabeth May, Bloc Québécois MP Mario Simard, Liberal MP Jenica Atwin, and NDP MP Alexandre Boulerice joined with Susan O'Donnell from CRED-NB and Ginette Charbonneau from Ralliement contre la pollution radioactive to express serious concerns about an expansion of nuclear energy and the development of small modular nuclear reactors (SMRs).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2K2Ol8cILA

MPs and activists push back as Ottawa pitches expansion of nuclear energy

Anti-nuclear activists and a cross-partisan group of MPs urged the federal government Tuesday to drop its support for nuclear energy projects, calling the energy source a "dirty, dangerous distraction" from climate action.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/anti-nuclear-activists-ottawa-1.6821807

Say NO to a new nuclear reactor in the GTA (just east of Toronto)

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/smrcost/

Chernobyl anniversary offers a bleak look at what may await other Ukrainian nuclear plants

A little over a year ago, Russian troops abandoned Chernobyl after briefly occupying it during the grim opening days of Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine. The takeover of the site where the world’s worst nuclear disaster happened thirty-seven years ago this week offered a preview of the reckless disregard for nuclear safety that has characterized so much of this war.

https://bellona.org/news/nuclear-issues/2023-04-chernobyl-anniversary#bio-5

Five myths about the Chernobyl disaster - by Kate Brown

https://beyondnuclearinternational.org/2019/07/23/five-myths-about-the-chernobyl-disaster/

How shading crops with solar panels can improve farming, lower food costs and reduce emissions

https://theconversation.com/how-shading-crops-with-solar-panels-can-improve-farming-lower-food-costs-and-reduce-emissions-202094

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

Mayworks Festival of Working People & the Arts

Mayworks presents the realities of contemporary labour in an exciting program of 24 free and public events during the month of May across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area and online -- art exhibitions, installations, film screenings, panel discussions, workshops and other encounters. Informed by personal histories of social activism and research, the artists in this year’s festival recognize workers as agents of social transformation.

https://mayworks.ca/2023festival

_______________________

_______________________

Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival

April 27 to May 7

In cinemas throughout downtown Toronto and streaming online across Canada

Celebrate 30 years of outstanding stories and the filmmakers and audiences who have shared them with us.

https://hotdocs.ca/whats-on/hot-docs-festival?view=all

_______________________

_______________________

Will EV Charging Break the Grid? - Canada Talks Electric Cars

Tues. May 2, 7:30 p.m. ET

The expected growth of EVs and the associated demand from charging has the potential to break our electricity grid - or revolutionize it. There are a number of strategies to manage the impacts of EV charging demand, but the one with the most potential is Vehicle-to-Grid technology, which reimagines Electric Vehicles as mobile generating stations that can generate revenue while parked. During this webinar we are joined by Matthew Sachs, COO of Peak Power, to discuss Peak Power’s experience with Vehicle-to-Grid technologies.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/5116791043053/WN_Oo0KhGrjQoWnJMa3LHx24Q#/registration

_______________________

_______________________

Making the case: Streets for People

Tues. May 2, 11 a.m. ET

Clarence Eckerson has been documenting advocacy transportation for over ten years and has produced more than 1,000 videos for Streetfilms. He is frequently referred to as “the hardest working man in transportation show biz” for his dedication to making difficult, wonky concepts more accessible and entertaining to the public. He shoots 99% of his footage by bike, foot, train, or bus.

https://bit.ly/3KuXKPl

_______________________

_______________________

Inflation, Central Banks and the Climate Crisis

With Guy Dauncey

Tues. May 2, 5 p.m. ET

What does inflation and central banks have to do with the climate crisis? A lot - because central banks have the power to create money, and climate activists need to understand why, if they are to campaign for change. Guy Dauncey is cofounder of the West Coast Climate Action Network. For the past seven years he has been researching and writing his yet-to-be-published book on The Economics of Kindness - How to End the Economics of Selfishness and Build an Economy that Works for All.

https://citizensclimate.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYvdO-rrTkvHdWjpn1nhzUcz1AYlHYjxxy4#/registration

_______________________

_______________________

Hydrogen and Canada’s Energy Future

Tues. May 2, 1 pm ET

This briefing will cover: the science of hydrogen production, an overview of Canada’s current hydrogen landscape, how hydrogen can most effectively and efficiently be used in Canada’s energy transition and the opportunities and challenges of hydrogen exports.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN__Ghp35npSySEvQGhBlyg0w

_______________________

_______________________

Join Us to #ProtestBarrick

Tuesday, May 2, 9 am ET

Berczy Park, 35 Wellington Street East, Toronto

Join us as we bring the voices of community leaders resisting Barrick Gold's mines directly to the company's executive and shareholders at their AGM. Gather by 9am sharp and we will hold a short march together. There will be free coffee and breakfast! Community leaders from around the world have been calling on Canadian mining giant Barrick Gold to listen to them, to act transparently, and to remedy the harms caused to their lives and ecosystems by the company. Join us at Barrick's AGM to show your support for these communities.

_______________________

_______________________

Beyond Gas Advocacy Training - Part 2

Wed. May 3, 7 - 8:30 p.m. ET

Hone your advocacy skills, practice specific asks, and role play – in preparation for meetings with political representatives.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/beyond-gas-advocacy-training-part-2-tickets-621705366487

_______________________

_______________________

The Future of Food

Wed. May 3, 3:30 p.m. ET

Food accessibility and affordability is a major concern, impacting millions of people in Canada and globally. Join in this action-centred roundtable on how food-related leaders are reshaping the future of food, making it more accessible and affordable for everyone.

https://rethinksustainability.ca/future-ready/future-of-food-roundtable/

_______________________

_______________________

The Big Picture: Beyond Hope and Fear

With Michael Dowd

Wed. May 3, 1:30 p.m. ET

No one needs convincing that we are living in an age of chaos and breakdowns. Even those without an ecological understanding of history feel the stress. How do we cope? How can we escape the seesaw of hope and fear?  And, crucially, how can we be of support to others who are confused, angry, depressed, or filled with fear, blame, or guilt? Michael Dowd is bestselling eco-theologian.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89354783674?pwd=UjdQSis0ZTFwMWFUTk1TRGhDYjgvZz09

_______________________

_______________________

New Gas Plants Are Coming to Ontario!

How We Can Stop Them, and Build a Clean Energy Future

Thur. May 4, 6 p.m. ET

Join us for a conversation about the province's outrageous gas plan, clean alternatives for producing energy, how the coal phase-out was won, and how to stop gas plant expansions in your area.

https://act.environmentaldefence.ca/page/126103/petition/1

_______________________

_______________________

The Climate Emergency Unit: Strategies for Effective Climate Action

With Seth Klein

Thursday May 4, 6:30 p.m. ET

“What we’ve been doing isn’t working,” writes Seth Klein. We are facing a climate emergency, but few of us, including most politicians, journalists, even environmental organizations are acting that way. It’s time we learned the lessons of WW II, and COVID-19, and mobilized to bring about “radical systemic change.”. All the machinery of government, the news media, educational institutions, and the public must be focussed on the crucial “national task” confronting us. Register for webinar here:

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAldOyhrDMvGtdmg59jf6hqFXn3DrXS8qAh#/registration

More from The Climate Emergency Unit:

4 Hopeful Lessons from WW2 to confront Climate Change (6 min.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUJw5cLyfEk&t=20s

Canada Needs a Youth Climate Corps (2 min.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVctqrJuzTM&t=3s

The 6 Markers of the Climate Emergency

https://www.climateemergencyunit.ca/emergencymarkersframework

_______________________

_______________________

Urban Ecologies: Imagining the Environmentally Just City

Fri. Sat. May 5 - 6

School of the Environment, U of T

Despite the IPCC’s repeated warnings of verging systemic collapse as we pass crucial tipping points, and although policy makers and technology experts have detailed the necessary steps to protect the biosphere, we still lack the critical mass to mobilize for a planetary transformation. The event will explore anthropogenic impacts on the earth, using a broad range of approaches from the environmental humanities, decolonial studies, Indigenous studies, and more.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-2023-beatrice-and-arthur-minden-symposium-on-the-environment-tickets-520542766427

_______________________

_______________________

Jane's Walk

Fri. - Sun. May 5 - 7

Jane’s Walk is an annual festival of free, community-led walking conversations inspired by Jane Jacobs - online, in person and around the world. Jane’s Walks encourage people to share stories about their neighbourhoods, discover unseen aspects of their communities, and use walking as a way to connect with their neighbours.

https://janeswalk.org/

Jane's Walk Toronto

https://www.janeswalkfestivalto.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Webinar: Don’t Nuke the Pacific!

Saturday, May 6, 8 p.m. ET

In response to the Japanese government and TEPCO’s unilateral decision to dump radioactively wastewater into the Pacific as early as this summer, we should deepen our understanding on this issue and engage in actions to stop the discharge of radioactive wastewater into the Pacific. With Dr. Makhijani and Dr. Amano

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_kEgamr3lQM-GO_Z0qoD9pw

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/