Greenspiration News & Events: Weirder and weirder

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Jun 5 10:20:38 EDT 2023

‘Weirder and Weirder’: Danielle Smith’s New Example for Canada

She won by taking petrostate populism to a new level. Where do we go from here? By Andrew Nikiforuk

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2023/05/31/Danielle-Smith-Example-For-Canada/

Alberta Election Result Sets Smith's UCP Up for a Fall

Smith’s radically unrealistic politics will mean four lost years for Alberta while much of the province continues to burn, literally and figuratively.

https://energymixweekender.substack.com/p/the-biggest-loser-alberta-election

'Unprecedented' start to wildfire season destroyed almost 3 million hectares of Canadian forest, forcing evacuations in 7 provinces and one territory

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/unprecedented-start-to-wildfire-season-1.6861945

Radioactive Waste: Thinking Things Through to the End

39 min. video interview with Dr. Gordon Edwards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q06sf6yB2r0

Here’s the dirt: how Doug Ford is shaping Ontario’s environmental laws in his second term

>From fast-tracking development to sending more sewage towards Lake Ontario, the Progressive Conservatives are still making dramatic changes to environment and energy policy. We're digging into it here

https://thenarwhal.ca/ontario-environment-ford-explainer/

The Climate Crimes of the Ford Government

Seniors for Climate Action Now (SCAN) has prepared a searing indictment of Ford's climate criminal record. Read his 34 crimes here:

https://seniorsforclimateactionnow.org/the-ontario-project-fords-climate-crimes/

Tell the IESO to stop gaslighting Ontario communities by steamrolling through more gas plants without municipal support

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/consent/

We need a transit champion for Mayor

TTC service has been cut on over 30 routes, while trains and buses are overcrowded. Fares have increased. Toronto's transit is becoming more crowded, unreliable and expensive. Toronto needs a mayor that will reverse service cuts and fund a better TTC!

https://www.ttcriders.ca/mayor2023

Call for Mayoral Candidates to Pledge to Action on Climate

The climate is not getting sufficient attention in Toronto’s mayoral campaign, and we need this to change. See TransformTO Net Zero by 2040 climate action plan, and climate commitment pledge. Read more here, and take action.

https://www.toronto.ca/services-payments/water-environment/environmentally-friendly-city-initiatives/transformto/

https://climatefast.ca/blogs/2023-04/toronto-mayor-climate-commitment-campaign

https://climatefast.ca/civicrm/mailing/view?id=270&reset=1

June is Pride Month in Canada - Learn about Canada's Queer History Here

https://www.queerevents.ca/canada/pride/history

Surviving Antidepressants

Please support my friend's Antidepressant Safety Tour by donating to his GoFundMe campaign

https://gofund.me/c3ed4b75

_______________________

_______________________

⚡Renewable Power for All⚡ A rally supporting 100% clean electricity by 2035

Mon. June 5, noon - 1:30 p.m. ET

Parliament Hill, Ottawa

Join us on Parliament Hill to hear from powerful movement leaders. Help us deliver the names of tens of thousands of people across the country who want this government to unleash the renewable energy revolution. The David Suzuki Foundation is joining forces with Atlantic Canada’s Ecology Action Center, Electrify 613, Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment, Climate Justice Ottawa, Environmental Defense, 350 Canada, CUPE/ Green Economy Network and other organizations and grassroots allies. Be there with us to fight for the future our communities deserve.

https://www.facebook.com/events/718712316694427

_______________________

_______________________

On 2 Ottawa

Mon. June 5, 7 p.m.

Trinity St. Paul's Centre, 427 Bloor St. W, Toronto

Climate justice now! The climate crisis is here - join us in doing something about it. We demand a citizens' assembly for urgent climate action now. Also online talks every Thurs. and Sunday.

https://linktr.ee/on2ottawa

_______________________

_______________________

Keeping Cool in the Capital: Exploring the Benefits of Heat Pumps

Tues. June 6, 7 - 8 pm ET

Is your old air conditioning due for a replacement? Curious how to make the most out of your cooling system this summer? Join EnvrioCentre’s Ben Perry to go over the future of your air conditioner, and how to plan for future cooling and heating demands in your home with an Air Source Heat Pump. We will cover topics from sizing a heat pump, how to plan the project, to ensuring you take advantage of all grants and financing available.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/keeping-cool-in-the-capital-exploring-the-benefits-of-heat-pumps-tickets-634237380077

_______________________

_______________________

Getting Out the Vote to Elect a Progressive Mayor

Tuesday, June 6 - 5:30 pm

Sign up to learn strategies for getting out the vote, how to motivate people to vote, and how to help remove barriers to voting.

https://www.progresstoronto.ca/election-training-series-jun-6-2023

_______________________

_______________________

Digital Skills

Tues. June 6, 7 p.m. ET

Isabel Bader Theatre, 93 Charles St W, Toronto

In an increasingly digitized world, more and more areas of society are beginning to require technological access and know-how. How do we equip all individuals and communities with the knowledge and capacity that a digitized world requires? We are seeing the rapid growth of technology’s role everywhere, from remote jobs to classrooms to public transit, and with this comes a slew of questions concerning people of all ages and backgrounds. How do we equip all individuals and communities with the knowledge and capacity that a digitized world requires? Join seven speakers at The Walrus Talks Digital Skills to explore how we can improve digital equity and build a digital future that leaves no one behind.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-walrus-talks-digital-skills-tickets-622632690137

_______________________

_______________________

Bigger, Cleaner, Smarter and Faster: How to accelerate the development of clean electricity projects in Canada

Tues. June 6, 1 p.m. ET

The Canadian Climate Institute’s recent report, The Big Switch, outlines the necessary changes to align Canadian electricity systems with the country’s net-zero objectives. Transforming Canada’s electricity infrastructure to support these objectives in a cost-effective manner requires that we act both wisely, and quickly. In this timely webinar, we’ll discuss policy and social barriers to accelerating action, and uncover the practical solutions and tools that can drive a faster transformation of Canadian electricity systems to support our net-zero targets.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_VW3K9HP_QfOqOjYPAFHAng#/registration

_______________________

_______________________

Canada Closed its Doors to Justice for Mariano Abarca - What's next?

Tues. June 6, 6 p.m. ET

It’s been almost 14 years since prominent Mexican environment defender Mariano Abarca was killed while speaking out against a Canadian mine and his family is still fighting for justice.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN__yRgNd_QQXqp7peHNPg-LA#/registration

_______________________

_______________________

Clean Air Day

Wed. June 7, 1 p.m. ET

In this webinar, speakers from the Centre for Indigenous Environmental Resources and Health Canada will explore the impacts of air quality on health and the environment and discuss the impacts on Indigenous communities across Canada.

https://yourcier.org/cad/

_______________________

_______________________

The Breathing Lands - Canada’s Ancient Peatlands Can Save Us

Thur. June 8, 7 p.m. ET

Glenn Gould (CBC) Studio, 250 Front Street West, Toronto

Join Wildlands League on a journey to the ancient peatlands of the Hudson Bay Lowlands. These incredible wetlands have been cooling the planet for thousands of years and hold more carbon than the Amazon Rainforest. New mines and industry roads are being proposed and these ‘Ring of Fire’ mining plans would irrevocably damage the region’s sensitive wetlands. Hear from leading scientists, Indigenous leaders and conservationists and enjoy a first look at an incredible episode and drone footage by The Water Brothers. $15.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-breathing-lands-canadas-ancient-peatlands-can-save-us-tickets-590400382437?aff=BlogTO

_______________________

_______________________

Changing the Battle Against Global Warming

Thur. June 8, 7 p.m. ET

Eco Entrepreneur and engineer, Sam Levac-Levey, talks about his career in eco-finance.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/sam-levac-levey-changing-the-battle-against-global-warming-tickets-642517305557

_______________________

_______________________

Learnings From the Pope Squat - A Community Discussion about Direct Action Tactics for Successful Organizing

Thursday, June 8, 6 - 8 pm

PARC, 1499 Queen Street West, Toronto

Join this conversation to talk with Pope Squat organizers and residents about how and why the Pope Squat was organized and what can we learn from this experience for our current fight for housing to end homelessness.

For more info: tdin at tngcs.org

_______________________

_______________________

Atomic Bamboozle: The False Promise of a Nuclear Renaissance

Thur. June 8, 10 p.m. ET

The Oregon Chapter of the Sierra Club is hosting an exclusive showing and panel discussion with Portland-based filmmaker Jan Haaken and people featured in the show.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf8qJ4FTGobeIxG5zw25rC9S-xo-IesZi3vZZDVIeEwc9vkVw/viewform

_______________________

_______________________

Thinking through mayoral platforms

Thursday, June 8, 6 - 8 pm

Social Planning Toronto is hosting a non-partisan virtual event to help voters think through Mayoral candidate platforms in the upcoming by-election. The event will feature Toronto-based thought leaders who will share their insights and reflections on the type of leadership and change that’s needed in Toronto. The event will include tips and resources to help voters decipher and analyze candidate platforms, with the aim of bringing clarity leading up to the vote.

https://www.socialplanningtoronto.org/in_search_of_torontos_next_mayor

_______________________

_______________________

The True Nature of Environmental Racism with Chúk Odenigbo

Thur. June 8 - Thur. June 29, 1 - 2 p.m. ET

This learning series seeks to examine the ways the fight against systemic racism/for social justice and environmentalism are linked. We will explore and contextualize our understanding of racism within environmentalism and the environmental movement in Canada and seek to look for solutions and build the tools necessary to create just futures for our human and non-human kin.

https://www.tickettailor.com/events/sustainabilitynetwork/908459

_______________________

_______________________

2023 T.O. By-Election for Mayor: Advance Vote Locations

June 8 - 13, 10 a.m. - 7 p.m. ET

https://www.toronto.ca/city-government/elections/by-election/by-election-advance-voting-locations/

https://www.toronto.ca/city-government/elections/by-election/by-election-voter-information/myvote-by-elections/

_______________________

_______________________

Social Permaculture Clinic

Sundays @ 1 p.m. ET

June 11: Negotiation in Community

July 9: Meeting Facilitation

August 6: Dealing with Difficult People

An interactive discussion led by Starhawk and Charles Williams on how social permaculture can help us design beneficial relationships. Living and working in community brings connection and collaboration, but comes with challenges, too. These challenges are a natural part of the process and, if handled well, can strengthen ourselves and our groups. This clinic will explore tools and techniques to navigate challenging moments successfully. This series is a collection of standalone sessions. Feel free to take one or all. Each session is $20

https://earthactivisttraining.org/social-permaculture-clinic/

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/