Greenspiration News & Events: Don't Nuke the Climate

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Nov 13 10:43:33 EST 2023

After a record year of wildfires, will Canada ever be the same again? We are now living through the pyrocene

Unprecedented blazes - shattering the previous annual record nearly three times over - tore through boreal forest unleashing vast carbon emissions in what may be a permanent change of state. "We’ve had ice ages in the past but we are now living through what I call the ‘pyrocene’." For Canada, the challenge of maintaining its huge forests in an age of rapid climate breakdown looms large. The country has about 10% of the world’s forests and a third of this land has burned in the past 40 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/09/canada-wildfire-record-climate-crisis

‘Shocking’ October Temperatures Obliterate Past Records, Help Make 2023 the Hottest Year On Record

This October was the hottest on record globally, 1.7°C warmer than the pre-industrial average for the month—and the fifth straight month with such a mark in what will now almost certainly be the warmest year ever recorded.

https://www.theenergymix.com/2023/11/09/shocking-october-temperatures-obliterate-past-records-help-make-2023-the-hottest-year-on-record

Heat pumps are having a moment

We hear why they’re on the agenda in the halls of government.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-429-what-on-earth/clip/16022495-heat-pumps-hot-right

Could the Liberals' carbon tax troubles light a fire under the move toward heat pumps?

A recent study found heat pumps are 'already the lowest-cost option' in most cases

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/carbon-tax-heat-pumps-trudeau-wherry-analysis-1.7020190

Gas Is Way Worse Than Coal

Bill McKibben this week, finds that “natural” (methane) gas is between  24% - 274% worse for the climate than coal. That’s thanks to extensive methane leaks at just about every stage of its production, from drilling to transportation.

https://newrepublic.com/article/176605/natural-gas-way-worse-coal

Put public dollars into heat pumps, not Enbridge's pocket

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/heat-pumps-vs-gas/

Quebec moves forward with renewables while Ontario races backwards with gas and nuclear

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/quebec-moves-forward-while-ontario-races-backwards/

Failed U.S. Nuclear Project Raises Cost Concerns for Canadian SMR Development

https://www.theenergymix.com/2023/11/10/failed-u-s-nuclear-project-raises-cost-concerns-for-canadian-smr-development/

Did the kidnapping of a Canadian solar power inventor lead to the domination of fossil fuels?

After his 1909 kidnapping, George Cove’s promising business fizzled out and solar power faltered, while coal and oil grew at an unprecedented pace.

https://thenarwhal.ca/george-cove-kidnapping-solar-power/

Thousands fill the streets of Canadian cities demanding an immediate ceasefire in Gaza

7 min. video and article by Zach Ruiter

https://ricochet.media/en/4007/video-thousands-march-in-canadian-cities-demanding-immediate-ceasefire-in-gaza

Why Ukraine Won’t Negotiate with the ‘F**king Terrorist Putin’

https://bylinetimes.com/2023/11/09/why-ukraine-wont-negotiate-with-the-fking-terrorist-putin/

Kevin Rupasinghe for Ward 20 Scarborough SW

Kevin is a city building a community advocate calling for sustainable and affordable housing, safe streets, more transit, local jobs and opportunities for Scarborough residents. Let's get him elected! Volunteer and send $ (75% rebate from the city!).

https://www.kevinrupasinghe.ca/

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

COP Don't Nuke The Climate Australia/Pacific Video Launch

Tues. Nov. 14, 8 - 9 p.m. ET

This Australia/ Pacific/ Asia forum is made specifically for people that will be attending COP 28, but open to everyone interested. Its aim is to provide people inside COP with the tools and arguments to prevent resources being siphoned away from real climate solutions by the nuclear industry. Don’t Nuke the Climate International has been working on a response to the increased nuclear lobby at COP in November. They have been working really hard to get two great short videos together (one on SMRs and one on Nuclear power). This forum is one of three global launch events that are happening where we will show the videos, share the resources including a media statement, share more information and arguments for climate folks going to be able to debunk the Nuclear Lobby’s spin, and suggestions on how to spread this messages far and wide among their organisations and networks.

https://www.melbournefoe.org.au/cop_dntc_video_launch

_______________________

_______________________

Farmland Forever: An Introduction to Farmland Protection Options

Tues. Nov. 14, noon ET

This session will introduce participants to their options for protecting farmland with Ontaio Farmland Trust, covering land donations and conservation easement agreements with plenty of time for discussions and questions. Working with a land trust offers a number of options to ensure the land you have carefully stewarded stays in agriculture for generations to come.

https://form-can.keela.co/oft-webinar-registration-intro-to-farmland-protection-options

_______________________

_______________________

Debunking Tax Myths & Facts

Tues. Nov. 14, 6:30 - 8 p.m. ET

Who pays taxes? Who benefits from taxes? What is the difference between a progressive tax and a regressive tax? How can taxes help tackle inequality in the city? This workshop will bring together community groups and organizations to share their insights and expertise on the links between taxes, investments in public services and the city budget.

https://www.socialplanningtoronto.org/budgeting_for_an_equitable_city_a_workshop_series

_______________________

_______________________

Social Media for Organizers

Tues. Nov. 14, 7 p.m. ET

Social media is a crucial aspect of campaigning and keeping your supporters engaged. Join us to talk about how we can maximize our efforts online, and to figure out how and when social media can be strategic for different kinds of organizing.

https://actionnetwork.org/events/social-media-for-organizers

_______________________

_______________________

Churches' Advocacy on Loss and Damage

Tues. Nov. 14, 7:30 p.m. ET

Understanding the role of churches in fighting for communities who are losing their homes, livelihoods and culture to climate change. This 90-minute event will include a panel and group discussion. Panelists include Indigenous peoples, youth, voices from the Global South, and climate activists from the church.

https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUrf-Cupj8jGNWLv2auWKd3-HGP3iB_pKAA#/registration

_______________________

_______________________

Indigenous Urbanism: Evoking the Transition Imaginary

Tues. Nov. 14,

With Wanda Dalla Costa, AIA, FRAIC, LEED A.P, a member of the Saddle Lake Cree Nation. Her teaching and research are focused on Indigenous ways of knowing and being, co-design methodologies, sustainable design, and the resiliency of vernacular architectures.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_WnPRLDmjQla4A82fVU7Z7g#/registration

_______________________

_______________________

Finding Your Role in Social Movements

Wed. Nov. 15, 7 p.m. ET

Are you new to social movement activism/organizing and not sure where to start? Or are you a seasoned organizer looking to reconnect to your purpose? It can be hard to figure out what actions + roles you can take on in the fight for climate and social justice. In order to build the critical mass necessary to pose a threat to the status quo, we’re going to need many people with a diverse set of experiences, skills and gifts to build the world we need. Join us for an interactive workshop about the many roles that exist in making social change happen.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUpdeCspjsiH9SNZVYhh40L4SZaKxH6N_o6#/registration

_______________________

_______________________

Navigating Tricky Thanksgiving Climate Conversations

Wed. Nov 15, 1 - 2 p.m. ET

Join us for a Climate Access roundtable on how to approach Thanksgiving conversations with empathy, understanding, and effective communication.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_wOkGNYj0QxCOTATMTPrc1w#/registration

_______________________

_______________________

An Intensifying Global Climate Emergency and What Must Be Done

Wed. Nov. 15, 1:30 p.m. ET

Dr. Peter D. Carter will present the latest trends and indicators of unprecedented climate system, ecological and biodiversity collapse. Dr. Carter, a retired family and emergency physician with a background in environmental health protection policy, is now director of the Climate Emergency Institute. He has been an expert reviewer for the IPCC and is co-author of Unprecedented Crime: Climate Science Denial and Game Changers for Survival.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85703067082?pwd=bGpIdk1pMnZJT1ZtZ2ovMG1iMFg5QT09

_______________________

_______________________

Did We Win? Reviewing the Greenbelt and Boundary Reversals and the path ahead for Ontario's environment

Thur. Nov. 16, 7 p.m. ET

This webinar will address important topics including:

- What's in the Greenbelt legislation? What's not?

- Is the province actually reversing urban boundary expansions?

- How will the recent Supreme Court decision on the Impact Assessment Act impact future and existing projects?

- What's next for Highway 413 and the Bradford Bypass?

https://act.environmentaldefence.ca/page/137809/petition/1

_______________________

_______________________

The Colonial Urge to Commodify the Climate Crisis: Uplifting Real Solutions

Thur. Nov. 16, 4 - 5 p.m. ET

Panel highlighting real solutions that are Indigenous-led. This discussion will cover questions like:

- What are real solutions?

- How are Indigenous peoples enacting real solutions in their territories?

- How can we support Indigenous-led solutions?

- Why is this relevant in light of COP28 negotiations?

https://www.indigenousclimateaction.com/events/webinar-uplifting-real-solutions

_______________________

_______________________

Gender-Based Violence

Thur. Nov. 16, 7 p.m. ET

Online or in person at Isobel Bader Theatre, Toronto

At The Walrus Talks Gender-Based Violence, presented by the Canadian Women’s Foundation, speakers discuss how we can change a culture that doesn’t have a good track record of supporting abuse survivors or even of talking about the abuse women, girls, and two-spirit, trans, and non-binary people face. This abuse impacts more people than we realize, but it’s often hidden behind closed doors and people may not be safe enough to say a word about it.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-walrus-talks-gender-based-violence-tickets-696697409707

_______________________

_______________________

Impact Gratitude

Thur. Nov. 16, 7 p.m.

Join us for a deliciously inspiring conversation around the power of gratitude and how it can intentionally help save our Mother Earth. Director Louie Schwartzberg will be joined by Paul Hawken, Eriel Deranger and Bruce Lipton, with moderator and founder of The Climate Boot Camp, Michael Linn.

https://gratituderevealed.com/impact/

_______________________

_______________________

Residential Solar Webinar

Fri. Nov. 17, noon ET

Join SolarShare to learn about the costs, government incentives, necessary equipment and installers to install solar panels on your home. Plus...we will be giving away a personal solar panel to one lucky attendee.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwvdOCtqTotGtaDYzaFig0X7ZHX94XOAg7M#/registration

_______________________

_______________________

Water Docs Film Festival - 11th annual

Fri. - Sun. November 17 - 19

OISE Auditorium, 252 Bloor St W, Toronto

AND Virtual access from November 20 - December 17

#LaterNoMore: Activating Climate Solutions Now!

Our (climate) action-packed festival includes:

- A carefully curated selection of 2023 environmental documentaries from around the world

- Our Water Warrior Award Presentation for the late Rob Stewart. The award will be accepted by Rob's parents.

- An Indigenous environmental documentary shorts program

- Best Feature and Best Short film award screening

- A Climate Action Now! panel discussion

And of course, filmmaker Q&A's, tabling, interactive elements, snacks and more!

View our full festival program: https://www.waterdocs.ca/wdff-2023

https://waterdocsfilmfestival.sparqfest.live/en/index.html

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/