Greenspiration News & Events: Reliable and inexpensive

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Mar 11 10:20:32 EDT 2024

Stanford study suggests remarkable savings made possible by clean energy transition: 'Reliable and inexpensive'

The results provide countries with concrete evidence and the confidence that 100% clean, renewable grids are not only lower in costs but are also just as reliable as the current grid system. The study found that the 145 countries looked at could reduce their annual energy costs by 61% by fully transitioning to clean energy.

https://www.thecooldown.com/green-business/green-hydrogen-storage-cost-efficiency-stanford-study/

Fire weather: climate chaos is already here

In this 51 min. video doc, John Vaillant, author of Fire Weather: A True Story from a Hotter World, joins The Chris Hedges Report to discuss the Fort McMurray Fire, the tar sands industry responsible for the conditions that produced it, and the tinderbox world Big Oil has made in its all-consuming pursuit of profit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwpb31ed5Qc

Blocking renewable energy is a top priority for network of pro-fossil fuels think tanks

https://energyandpolicy.org/state-policy-network-anti-wind-solar-power/

Canada promised to protect nature

Sign the parliamentary petition calling on the prime minister to introduce a bill to create a nature accountability act early this year.

https://www.ourcommons.ca/petitions/en/Petition/Sign/e-4673

MP gets death threats over bill to curb greenwashing by the fossil fuel industry

MP Charlie Angus said a "rage machine" of people — mostly white males —believe the Conservatives' "absolutely false" claims, "stoking conspiracy and rage because they think it's gonna win them votes"

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2024/03/06/news/ndp-mp-receives-death-threats-over-greenwashing-bill

Abrupt end to Canada’s green retrofits program leaves industry in chaos

Canada's greener homes program was wildly successful. So why has the government canceled it?

https://www.corporateknights.com/energy/abrupt-end-to-canadas-green-retrofits-program-leaves-burgeoning-industry-in-chaos/

First Nation sues the Alberta Energy Regulator over tarsands tailings leak

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2024/03/06/news/first-nation-sues-alberta-energy-regulator-oilsands-tailings-leak

Nuclear industry wants Canada to lift ban on reprocessing plutonium, despite proliferation risks

https://thebulletin.org/2024/03/nuclear-industry-wants-canada-to-lift-ban-on-reprocessing-plutonium-despite-proliferation-risks/

Is nuclear power a fix for climate change? Experts think it's too dangerous, too slow, too expensive

https://www.salon.com/2024/03/04/is-nuclear-power-a-fix-for-climate-change-experts-think-its-too/

Saskatchewan needs renewable energy not nuclear waste - Petition to oppose Small Nuclear Reactors in Saskatchewan

https://www.saskgreen.ca/sk_needs_renewable_energy_not_nuclear_waste

Reserve opposes nuclear waste storage at proposed site

Grassy Narrows First Nation Chief Rudy Turtle has said “no” to the nuclear waste storage site proposed in the Wabigoon River watershed near Ignace in NW Ontario

https://fftimes.com/news/district-news/reserve-opposes-nuclear-waste-storage-at-proposed-site/

Climate change, nuclear waste are a toxic stew

Nuclear facilities are increasingly at risk from wildfires, other natural disasters and extreme weather

https://www.taipeitimes.com/News/editorials/archives/2024/03/10/2003814694

Deportation and re-education: life in Russian-occupied areas of Ukraine

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/06/deportation-re-population-russia-occupied-ukraine-zaporizhzhia

Ecocide Petition

We, the undersigned, citizens and residents of Canada, call upon the House of Commons in Parliament assembled to publicly declare its support for an international crime of ecocide.

https://www.ourcommons.ca/petitions/en/Petition/Sign/e-4854

Stop Burning Plastic Waste

Sign the petition and tell the Canadian government to:

    - Ban burning plastic waste

    - Invest in refillable and reusable packaging solutions

https://act.oceana.org/page/108844/action/1

Ontario weakens watershed protections (again) as natural resources minister gets new powers

New rules for conservation authorities reduce buffer zones between development and wetlands and empower Doug Ford’s cabinet to issue permits without their say

https://thenarwhal.ca/ontario-conservation-authorities-changes/

Ottawa Renewable Energy Cooperative (OREC) - invest in wind and solar

OREC has launched its round of financing for the construction of new projects in the Ottawa area.  Member investors will participate in OREC’s expanding portfolio (presently 22 solar, 2 wind and 3 retrofit revenue producing assets).

https://www.orec.ca/

Send a message to Ontario politicians to triple wind and solar power in line with federal commitments at COP 28

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/triple/

______________________

______________________

EVENTS

Fukushima - we remember

The on-going triple nuclear reactor melt-down disaster in Fukushima, Japan began on 3/11/11.

Mon. Mar. 11

A Fukushima Survivor's Story - Setsuko Kida

7 min. video. Japanese activist Setsuko Kida - who lost her home, her land, and her former life to radioactive pollution from the Fukushima triple meltdown - tells how she overcame personal tragedy and trauma to become an outspoken international advocate for radiation refugee rights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG5gn9ojAMo&t=2s

3/11 Fukushima - California Connection

Watch a 12 min. segment of SOS – The San Onofre Syndrome: Nuclear Powers Legacy

https://sanonofresyndrome.com/3-11-fukushima-california-connection

______________________

______________________

Thriving Through Conflict

Mon. Mar. 11, 8 p.m. ET

Conflict is an inevitable part of any community. Too often, conflict leads to ruptured relationships and a disruption of our ability to achieve our goals. In this session we will share how to turn conflict into an opportunity to build connection and strengthen our community. We do this by viewing conflict through the lens of the values and needs that underlie our work. We differentiate between strategies and needs to help us engage our curiosity and creativity and expand what is possible.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/thriving-through-conflict-tickets-847699771837

______________________

______________________

The rise of EV misinformation, and how to tackle it

Tues. March 12, 1 p.m. ET

A recent study of climate-related YouTube videos found that climate denial is giving way to a new kind of climate delay tactic: the discrediting of climate solutions like EVs. This trend has had a helping hand from often well-intentioned but ultimately unbalanced reporting on electric vehicles, especially compared to gas cars. Join Clean Energy Canada as we explore the communications headwinds facing the shift to electric transportation—and how we can and must overcome them.

https://sfu.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_sUqnkXWHTW2F_4OuoquPUw#/registration

______________________

______________________

Climate Change, Imperialism and Palestine: Unpacking Global Systems of Oppression

Tues. Mar. 12, 7 p.m. ET

Join our virtual panel of experts as we explore how true climate justice must tackle the legacy of North-South inequity and colonial violence that define our world today. Expand your understanding of the ties between capitalism, settler colonialism, imperialism and the climate crisis – and how to actively work for Palestinian liberation in so-called ‘Canada.’

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_8Ws87FwLSdOEXq6oav3pWg#/registration

______________________

______________________

Winning LNG campaigns: What B.C. can learn from Quebec and the U.S.

Tues. Mar. 12, 3 p.m. ET

We’ll delve into the successes of two campaigns that thwarted LNG (liquified natural gas) export projects and the climate damage they would have caused.   We’ll learn from the triumphs of the Quebec-based Energie Saguenay campaign. And, fresh off a monumental victory in the U.S., we’ll hear how activists influenced the Biden administration to pause approval for numerous climate-threatening LNG projects.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/3117089888610/WN__DtXRQHuS_OuBXL20yTBBA#/registration

______________________

______________________

Indigenous Planetary Health: The Path We Walk

Wed. Mar. 13,| 4 - 5:30 pm ET

Dr. Nicole Redvers emphasizes the importance of ensuring a grounding in the stewardship practices, the relation building, and the innate sense of reciprocity embodied in traditional Indigenous knowledges around the globe. This presentation will discuss Indigenous perspectives on planetary health and greater sustainability movements.

https://www.environment.utoronto.ca/events/environment-and-health-seminar-series-indigenous-planetary-health-path-we-walk-dr-nicole

______________________

______________________

Burning Questions: Climate, Forests, and a Path Forward

Thur. Mar. 14, noon ET

John Vaillant is renowned for his gripping narratives that weave together environmentalism, history, and human behaviour. Join us for a deep dive with Vaillant, a masterful storyteller, as he takes us through the heart of wildfires, from the devastating 2016 Fort McMurray blaze to the broader, scorching reality of climate-change-induced events that impact our planet.

https://canopyplanet-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_lHRzhD6dQpuAuE6F5WU7zQ#/registration

______________________

______________________

Ecocide Law and Environmental Racism - Youth Driven Solutions

Sat. Mar. 16, 11 a.m. ET

Join us for this a compelling virtual panel to explore the intersection between the violation of human rights, racism and ecocide. Mass destruction of ecosystems and the state of the climate emergency disproportionately impacts Black, Indigenous and People of Colour communities.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_47kF_LvMQJqtbDfij09HrQ#/registration

______________________

______________________

Seedy Saturday and Eco Fair

Sat. Mar. 16, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m. ET

Parkdale Public Library, 1303 Queen Street West. (Basement), Toronto

Seedy Saturdays are annual seed exchange events in which people can donate, return, swap and purchase seeds from local gardeners and seed farmers. We will also be showcasing local environmental organizations focusing on sustainability, zero waste, and green living. Bring your family and kids as we host interactive workshops where you can learn about seed sovereignty, enjoy delicious foods and support local food justice initiatives.

______________________

______________________

Reasonable Cause to Suspect: A Book Launch and Discussion on Hidden Human Rights Crisis in Syria

Sat. March 16, 7 pm ET

Friends House, 60 Lowther (At St. George subway), Toronto

Book launch and discussion on the obstacles preventing the repatriation from Northeast Syria of over two dozen arbitrarily detained Canadian Muslim men, women, and children. Presented by Toronto Quakers Peace and Social Action Committee, Stop Canadian Involvement in Torture, U of T International Human Rights Program, with support of Another Story, who will be selling books on site.

https://www.facebook.com/events/922562202528281

______________________

______________________

Migrant Spring

Sat. Sun. Mar. 16 - 17 across Canada

Even in spring, working people are too worried about paying our bills to stop and smell the flowers. And we are being divided, the richest few are blaming im/migrants for rising costs. But migrants live here, we have deep roots, we grow and care for our communities and are excluded from basic rights. Together, this Migrant Spring, join us to unite against racism and win equality and permanent resident status for all. Actions are confirmed in Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver and more will be added soon. RSVP on this page.

https://migrantrights.ca/events/mar16/

Toronto Migrant Spring

Sat. Mar. 16, noon

Christie Pits Park, Bloor and Christie, Toronto

https://workersactioncentre.org/march16/

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/