[Sust-mar] CBC walkout

Ariel Harper ariel.harper at ns.sympatico.ca
Sun Sep 25 09:07:12 EDT 2005

I want to reply to Allison Star's comments regarding the CBC
"walkout".  It is a lockout, by no means a voluntary cessation of
work, and it comes about because management at CBC have decided that
"independent, flexible, and creative people" WITHIN the organization
should not have what others take for granted--baseline job security
and benefits.  Why should artists and technicians be denied
healthcare or mat leave?  Does it somehow make them LESS creative if
they operate in a corporation?   And as to opportunity for
independents--the CBC has helped more fledgling broadcasters,
reporters, artists, & technicians than any other broadcaster, because
part of their mandate as a PUBLIC broadcaster is to do so--the
privates have no such obligation.  There are plenty of opportunities
at the CBC for talent, and there would be more if they were funded
adequately--but to blame the loss of those indie slots (and indeed of
Canada's voice) on creative people with the temerity to want to pay
bills on time is to misread the situation entirely.

Ariel Harper
--

Ariel Harper
5228 Russell Street

"We honour dreams with action." -- Terry Kelly, August 10th, 2005, Halifax