[Sust-mar] conservative scare tactics

bighead at ns.sympatico.ca bighead at ns.sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 21 11:07:15 EST 2006

To weigh in:

I disagree with the scare tactics regarding the conservatives that are being sent out by various organizations (and recently distributed over sust-mar).

I don't like the conservatives.  But the Libs and NDP also have policies (exponential economic growth, low-cost fossil fuel, increase motor vehicle number and use, population growth, no bans on trawling or clearcutting) that undermine our future on this planet.

And I would argue that we haven't seen any less social policy regression the last number of years under the liberals than we would have with the conservatives.  And I would argue that the NDP's (however well intentioned) only solution for EVERYTHING is to spend more money on it (including the environment - the answer is to spend more money on "programs").  Their recent support of the liberals to give 200million dollars to Ford shows just how much they understand how to create an environmentally sustainable economy.

So the "you'd better vote liberal or else you'll get a conservative" scare tactic plays right into the hands of those who want to maintain the status quo in Canada.  A status quo that has made us the most wasteful, environmentally consumptive country in the world.  One that has helped 30% of the polar ice cap to melt, 90% of the fish to disappear, most of our old-growth forest to be cut.  A status quo that is killing us all, however slowly.

So:  if you want more of the same old stuff, vote for one of the same old parties.  It really doesn't make any difference in the end.  The differences are only window dressing.  The big-picture differences are nil.

Sincerely,
Chris Milburn
Green Party Candidate for Sydney-Victoria
43 Rigby Road Sydney B1P 4T4
902-539-6852
greenparty at ns.sympatico.ca