[Sust-mar] ACIC hosts Action Research Training in Memramcook

Rena Kulczycki admin at acic-caci.org
Thu Mar 8 14:34:08 EST 2007

Hello, please distribute widely!

At the end of March, the Atlantic Council for International Cooperation is
hosting a training event for individuals and organizations seeking to learn
how to apply the practice of Action Research in their efforts working in
international development. This training is open to the general public as
well as ACIC members - register soon as space is limited! Please see below
for more information.
~Rena Kulczycki
Communications and Membership Assistant
Atlantic Council for International Cooperation /
Conseil atlantique pour la coopération internationale
Suite 210, 2099 Gottingen Street
Halifax, NS/N.-É. Canada, B3K 3B2
Tel/Tél: (902) 431-2311 Fax/Téléc: (902) 431-3291
E-mail/Courriel: admin at acic-caci.org
http://www.acic-caci.org

ACTION RESEARCH WORKSHOP:
March 29 – 30, 2007 (9am-4pm each day)
Memramcook Resort, 488 rue Centrale Street, Memramcook, NB
Free for ACIC Members; non-members: $100.
Please return the form below to Rena Kulczycki at admin at acic-caci.org by
March 19th.

ACCOMMODATIONS: Accommodations are available at the Memramcook Resort
 for
reservations call: 1.800.268.2511.
Please mention that you are coming for the Atlantic Council for
International Cooperation event. A block of rooms is on hold until March
15th, after which point the group rate will be available only if space
allows.

TRANSPORTATION: If you have room for someone else in your car, please
contact us and we will assist with car-pooling coordination

FOOD:  All meals will be the responsibility of participants; food is
available at the Resort.

BURSARIES:  Bursaries to assist ACIC Members with travel and accommodations
are available to those in need on a first-come-first-served basis in an
amount of up to $150.  Please contact Rena @ admin at acic-caci.org for details
on how to apply.

‘...action research is the way groups of people can organize the conditions
under which they can learn from their own experiences and make this
experience accessible to others.’’
This quotation comes from a paper that Robin McTaggart of Deakin University
presented to the Third World Encounter on Participatory Action Research,
Managua, Nicaragua, 3-9 September, 1989

As part of its three-year strategic plan, ACIC has said it will endeavour to
build the capacity of our member organizations.  In light of this, ACIC will
bring together members who are involved in doing public engagement work to
collaborate on how we can, together, find ways to increase our effectiveness
in doing this work.

“Action research is a learning approach aimed at improving the practice
through a dynamic process of experience, reflection, learning and action
planning.  It involves practitioners as the central researchers who “learn
by doing” and work in collaboration to identify problems, develop theories
on how to change the situation, plan and implement change experiments to
resolve the problems, monitor and evaluate the success of these change
efforts, and capture key learnings.”  (CCIC)

On March 29 & 30, ACIC members will come together in Memramcook, NB to
discuss how we do public engagement work, what has worked and what hasn’t,
and most importantly, how we can do it better.

In small groups, we will tackle such issues as:  how best to reach youth;
how to diversify our audiences; how to engage at a ‘deeper’ level;
encouraging people to take action; and more!

The session will be facilitated by Jennifer Sloot, who has had experience
leading workshops in participatory monitoring evaluation and action
research, and has several years of experience in facilitation.

Action Research Workshop Registration Form
Thursday March 29th – Friday March 30th 2007
Vallée de Memramcook Resort, 488 rue Centrale Street, Memramcook, NB

Name:
Group Affiliation:
Mailing Address:
E-mail:
Phone Number:
Fax No.:

Nutrition Breaks:
O I am Vegetarian
O Vegan
O Other special needs / allergies: _____________

Transportation:
O I am in need of transportation
O I can provide transportation to Memramcook from ____________ for #____
people.
O I can provide transportation from ________________ to Memramcook for #
_______ people.

Registration:
Total Due:  $________
(Cost: Non-Members $100)
Please bring payment to the workshop or send cheque by post to address
below.   Cheques may be made out to ACIC-CACI.

Return registration before March 19th by e-mail to:
Rena Kulczycki
Membership and Communications Assisstant
Atlantic Council for International Cooperation /
Conseil atlantique pour la coopération internationale
2099 rue Gottingen Street, Suite 210
Halifax, N.S./N-é, Canada, B3K 3B2
Tel/Tél: (902) 431-2311   Téléc/Fax: (9002) 431-2316
E-mail/Courriel: admin at acic-caci.org Web: http://www.acic-caci.org