[Sust-mar] News to share from the Nova Scotia Environmental Network

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Sat Mar 31 00:53:57 EDT 2007

Dear Sust-Mar Friends,

We deeply mourn the tragic loss of an incredible ocean and marine life
champion, Dr. Ransom Myers, who passed away from incurable brain cancer on
Tuesday, March 27. His funeral will be held on Sunday, April 1 at 1pm at the
Halifax Marriot Harbourfront Hotel. Please watch this short video of Ram, go
to: http://www.voteocean.org/ He is greatly missed.

A couple of URGENT items plus event announcements from the Nova Scotia
Environmental Network (NSEN) FYI:

(1)
THIS MONDAY AT 10AM:  A SPECIAL URGENT MEETING ON THE "ENVIRONMENTAL GOALS
AND SUSTAINABLE PROSPERITY ACT"
We have only a few days to respond to Bill No. 146 "Environmental Goals and
Sustainable Prosperity Act." I have scheduled a meeting to discuss this bill
along with some other important matters for the environmental community this
Monday from 10:00am-12:00pm at the boardroom of the Canadian Ethics in
Public Affairs, 630 Francklyn Street in Halifax (Atlantic School of Theology
Campus near Point Pleasant Park). Representatives from environmental groups
are especially encouraged to come. Light refreshments provided, but please
bring your water bottle, reusable coffee mug and your brown bag lunch. NDP
Environment Critic Michele Raymond may be able to join us.

We must discuss:
1. Bill No. 146 "Environmental Goals and Sustainable Prosperity Act" and how
to present before the committee.
2. Minister Mark Parent and Deputy Minister Bill Lahey of the Department of
Environment and Labour would like to have a meeting with environmental
groups in early May - we must discuss and plans this now.
3. New Water Strategy that was just announced today by the Minister Parent
and NSEN's new Watershed Caucus:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/news/details.asp?id=20070330001
4. Share resources and make announcements about upcoming events and actions.

Last week, the Nova Scotia government tabled Bill No. 146 "Environmental
Goals and Sustainable Prosperity Act". The Act is now in Second Reading and
going to Law Amendments early next week:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/legislature/legc/bills/60th_1st/1st_read/b146.htm
To read the Hansard debate this week on the bill:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/legislature/house_business/status.html#146

*Sorry for this short notice, but please all environmental groups make an
effort to send a representative to this meeting on Monday. Thank you.

(2)
HELP US PLAN AN EVENT FOR EARTH DAY - MEETING TUES. APR.3
Help us organize a big joint event in celebration of April 22 Earth Day. We
will be have our second meeting on Tuesday, April 3 from 5:30-6:30 PM in the
boardroom of the Ecology Action Centre, 2705 Fern Lane in Halifax
(http://www.ecologyaction.ca/). We have some great plans: Yoga for the Earth
(A big group outdoor yoga session), Film Screening, Litter Pick Up, O
Beautiful Gaia Performance and Recycled Clothes Fashion Show. About Earth
Day:  (www.earthday.ca) We need your help! If you can't make this meeting
but want to send ideas etc. Please contact Tamara at 454-6846 or email
nsen at cen-rce.org

(3)
NSEN FORMS WATERSHED CAUCUS - GET INVOLVED!
As a result of our NSEN meeting in the January, it is our intention to
attempt to form a Watershed Caucus. This will be primarily done by email.
Once we identify interested members we hope to set up our own listserv.
Initially Anna McCarron of the Coastal Guardian Program/Southern Nova Scotia
Piping Plover Conservation and Mil Nickerson of the Tuskett River
Environmental Protection Association will be acting as Co-chairs. For more
information and/or to get involved, please contact Mil at:
miln at eastlink.ca

(4)
NSEN ENVIRONMENT & HEALTH CAUCUS MEETING - APRIL 4
The NSEN Environment and Health Working Group will be having its next
meeting on Wednesday, April 4 from 1-3pm  in the Boardroom of the Canadian
Cancer Society CCS office (5826 South St.) in Halifax. One of the issues
that we have identified to work on will be a province-wide ban on cosmetic
pesticides and greater provincial measures to reduce toxins in the
environment. New members with an interest in eliminating toxins and
pesticides in the environment are always welcome. To attend, please rsvp to:
Andrea Caven
Cancer Control Advocacy Coordinator
CCS-NSD
5826 South St., # 1
Halifax, NS
B3H 1S6
(902) 423-6183 (work)
(902) 429-6563 (fax)
(902) 895-0422 (home)
(902) 843-0081 (home fax)

(5)
NSEN ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION CAUCUS - APRIL 18
The next EE Caucus meeting will be held at Environment Canada (Dartmouth) on
Wednesday April 18th from 9:30 - 11:30am. Exact location of the boardroom
will be sent closer to the date as will a draft agenda. New memebers with an
interest in environmental education always welcome. To attend, please rsvp
to:
Meghan Berrigan,
Clean Nova Scotia
902.420.3475
meghan at clean.ns.ca
www.clean.ns.ca
*If you can't make the meeting and would like to be added to the EEC caucus
email list, please contact Meghan.

(6)
NEW NSEN EMAIL ADDRESS COMING
By the end of March, NSEN will no longer be using nsen at web.net or
nsen at web.ca - PLEASE REMOVE THESE EMAIL ADDRESSES FROM YOUR ADDRESS BOOK.
NSEN's NEW email address is: nsen at cen-rce.org Please update your email
addressbooks - thank you.

(7)
UPCOMING EVENTS

1.
Renowned author and public speaker Stephen Lewis, former UN
Secretary-General's Special Envoy for HIV/AIDS in Africa, will be the
special guest speaker this Sunday April 1 at the nomination meeting of Alexa
McDonough, MP for Halifax and NDP candidate in the next federal election.
The event will be held in the McInnes Room of the Student Union Building on
the Dalhousie University campus (6136 University Avenue). Please join us
this Sunday afternoon - doors open at 1:30 p.m. and the event begins at
2:00. Everyone Welcome!

2.
TICKETS STILL AVAILABLE: Eco-friendly Fundraising Breakfast with NDP
Environment Critic Nathan Cullen
Wednesday, 4 April, 8:00 - 9:00 am
at the Wooden Monkey, 1685 Argyle St., Halifax
Healthy menu of locally grown and organic fresh ingredients!
Guest Speaker:
Nathan Cullen, MP - NDP Environment Critic
Topic:  The Politics of Climate Change
Special Guest: Alexa McDonough, MP for Halifax
Tickets:  $40.00 each (portion of ticket qualifies for a political tax
receipt) .can't attend yourself, why not sponsor a student?
ONLY 40 tickets available & selling quickly - Order NOW!
Contact:  Nat Smith, 483.5292

3.
"The Politics of Climate Change & How Citizens Can Help Canada Meet Our
Kyoto Targets"
Speaker: Nathan Cullen, MP (federal NDP environment critic)